The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Does Andrew commute between Windsor and London then whenever he has engagements in London? Does he never stay in London?
It is such a short distance, I can't really see him having a London flat as well. He is probably stays at BP, if it is really necessary.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Okay...I have the book! I know you are totally surprised Skydragon. But I am going to go on record and say I have never read it. Its an easy birthday/Christmas present for my friends and family. Anything that has to do with British Royalty.

In the book..Sarah never indicates that she was supposed to live on the base. She just mentions that he was on base during the week and came on during the weekends. She fully understood the obligations prior to the marriage but "while I knew Andrew would be leaving, I had never really thought it through---it was abstract and dreary."

She indicated that it worse for her than most Navy widows...as the weekends were used for engagements and they never really had quality alone time. Basically,the entire time they were married he was home an average of 42 days a year.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness

i can sympathize with sarah to a degree. my husband works offshore but is home more often than that and i can say it get's lonely. to have andrew gone for such long periods must've been really hard for her.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Sarah did say in an interview that Prince Philip told her and Andrew that she couldn't live with him on the base because of security and that neither she nor Andrew pushed the matter. The funny thing is that Philip and Elizabeth lived on base together right after WWI and and the beginning of the Cold War so I don't know if the situation back then was any better.

Andrew was interviewed and asked about what she said, he didn't confirm what she said but he said they both later regretted his long absences away from home.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Okay..I have just scanned a little further in the book.

By early 1987, Sarah indicates that she told the Queen and Prince Phillip that she couldn't handle the separations and requested to live on the base. Due to security...this request was denied. She indicated that it was difficult not seeing him and Prince Phillip said...welll..the Mountbattens (I am assume he was referring to him and the Queen) managed and so will you. The subject was closed.

She also makes references that she should have persisted or asked Andrew to leave the Navy. Acknowledging that there were other royal roles he could have done or just have been mad at her for suggesting it.

She also makes refrences to her insecurity (tons of it..it appears) and that by 1989 they were not communicating well. She states...how could he know how she felt if she never told him..how could she explain it if she didn't understand it herself..which is quite sad in my opinion.

I know there are a lot of people who think Sarah brought alot of her problems on herself...and they are right. I still like her though!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Here are two extremely small but nice pics of Sarah last week on January 12, 2007: She was leaving the NBC studios in New York City after her appearance on "The Today Show".

Sarah 1
Sarah 2
Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
By early 1987, Sarah indicates that she told the Queen and Prince Phillip that she couldn't handle the separations and requested to live on the base. Due to security...this request was denied. She indicated that it was difficult not seeing him and Prince Phillip said...welll..the Mountbattens (I am assume he was referring to him and the Queen) managed and so will you. The subject was closed.
Thanks for reading the book to tell us! It is a problem that many military wives have to face and although most spouses won't have had the commitments that Andrew had while on leave, even for them, it can be frustrating to have to share hubby/wife with other people when they are home.

Yes when they are away, it is terrible, (even during peacetime absences), this for Sarah could have been compounded by her insecurities with her new family. She did see him most weekends, which really is a luxury for some wives, (military or not), my attitude has always been to make the most of the time you do get together and 5 days out of the 7 seems so wonderful, that I am surprised she had any problem with it.

I can't say I dislike Sarah, (when I think about it), I just hate the way she has always acted and continues to act. I do wish the pair of them would remain the best of friends, but living separate lives. I don't like people that 'blab' their every intimate thought or deed to anyone who will listen, or who has the misfortune to be in the same room. If she wants to be known as a Duchess, then she could at least try to act like one.

I think the US is probably the best place for her.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower
Here are two extremely small but nice pics of Sarah last week on January 12, 2007: She was leaving the NBC studios in New York City after her appearance on "The Today Show".

Sarah 1
Sarah 2
Thanks, Iceflower. I think they're flattering pictures of Sarah. Doesn't look like she's wearing too much make-up, which is always a good thing. Her jacket reminds me of a long coat I used to have when I was a child.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

i agree with skydragon. sarah's lack of discretion is her worst "asset" for lack of a better word. it has landed in trouble in the past and my guess is that it will do so again. i like sarah but she really needs to teach herself to tone it down a bit when it comes to discussing her personal life.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

I totally agree that Sarah's discretion is one of her greatest weakness.

I was aware that Sarah had deep insecurity issues...but until reading (or rather scanning her book) I didn't realize how deep they were. She's says this in the begnning of her book....Even at my dizzy height of popularity, I knew that the clock would strike twelve and I'd be seen for what I was: unworthy, unattractive and unaccomplished.

IMO this lack of confidence has caused her to act without thinking. And speaking without thinking of the consequences. Constantly seeking approval.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Nobility

Prince Andrew has a suite in Buckingham Palace to use when he wants, his office is also there.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
Prince Andrew has a suite in Buckingham Palace to use when he wants, his office is also there.
They all do, just like any family!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
I thought he sold Sunninghill Park and was living at Royal Lodge or something. I believe it was one of the late Queen Mother's residences. I recall reading that he was spending alot of money renovating it.
is thay are togheter in london, the unique place posible is buckingham, I 'am right?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just because you are going to be in London, it doesn't mean you are sleeping somewhere in central London.

The chances of Sarah sleeping in Andrews suite in BP are IMO, remote......

She probably has to endure the 15-25 minute drive to Royal Lodge!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Stallone Allegedly Tried Winning Sarah Ferguson's Heart

Quote:
It seems like many celebrities would jump at the chance of dating a royal.
Sources say Sylvester Stallone once asked Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, out on a date.
The "Rocky Balboa" star was rejected by the duchess in 1996 because she had only just finalized her divorce from Prince Andrew and felt it was too soon to start dating.
A source told Britain's Daily Star newspaper, "Apparently Sylvester had a thing for royal girls. The romance never quite blossomed, but the pair remain close friends."
The 60-year-old actor is now married to his third wife, 38-year-old Jennifer Flavin.
I really can't imagine a more unlikely pair!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

FERGUSON WRITES HISTORICAL NOVEL

Sarah Ferguson is putting her aristocratic experiences to good use by co-writing a historical novel.
The novel, entitled HARTMOOR and co-written by author LAURA VAN WORMER, tells the story of LADY MARGARET MONTAGU, a 19th century noblewoman who embarks on a dangerous journey to America to track down her kidnapped father.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Stallone Allegedly Tried Winning Sarah Ferguson's Heart

I really can't imagine a more unlikely pair!
Hmm, I can. Andrew and Fergie? Sarah just seems to attract the most attractive men!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
FERGUSON WRITES HISTORICAL NOVEL

Sarah Ferguson is putting her aristocratic experiences to good use by co-writing a historical novel.
Good lord. She has been writing this novel for over a year I think. And now she is a co-writer? I would have thought by now that she would have had it written/completed and it was waiting to go to print.

I guess that's what I get for thinking!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

FERGIE'S AGENDA TOO BUSY TO ALLOW FOR TV DANCE ROLE

It could have been quite a coup - a duchess hitting the dancefloor for reality US series Dancing With The Stars. But those hoping to see Fergie doing the tango will be disappointed as her representative has confirmed Prince Andrew's ex won't be taking part.
"It didn't even get as far as the shortlist stage," says her UK spokeswoman. "Although she'd love to do it, she's just too busy." X Factor judge Sharon Osbourne and daughter Kelly were also thought to have been part of the celebrity wish list, but have since backed out.

Pictures:
Sarah
Sarah and Andrew, driving in a car
Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
FERGIE'S AGENDA TOO BUSY TO ALLOW FOR TV DANCE ROLE

It could have been quite a coup - a duchess hitting the dancefloor for reality US series Dancing With The Stars. But those hoping to see Fergie doing the tango will be disappointed as her representative has confirmed Prince Andrew's ex won't be taking part.
"It didn't even get as far as the shortlist stage," says her UK spokeswoman. "Although she'd love to do it, she's just too busy." X Factor judge Sharon Osbourne and daughter Kelly were also thought to have been part of the celebrity wish list, but have since backed out.

Pictures:
Sarah
Sarah and Andrew, driving in a car
Great photos, Avalon! However, I believe the woman in the 2nd photo is Pss Beatrice w Andrew. I think this was when she got her new car.

Closed Thread

Tags
fergie, sarah duchess of york