Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 2: September 2004-August 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the royal lodge in windsor great park was mentioned in the times yesterday.
After the death of his grandmother Andrew negociated a lease of 1 million ponds for the right to live there for 75 years, wich comes down to 250 ponds a week for a house with 30 rooms and a few cottages around it.

Andrew receives an income of 250.000 ponds a year because he is a member of the royal family.

Elspeth said:
I think she did, and then she was getting into debt or something, or her lease ran out or whatever, and she moved back into Sunninghill where she was somehow living separately from Andrew under the same roof (which I suppose is possible in a place that size). But I thought she'd found a place recently to move to when Andrew moved to Royal Lodge (assuming that she wasn't going to move to Royal Lodge so she could live separately under the same roof there too!).

If you go to this part of the Corbis site

http://pro.corbis.com/sectionfront/default.aspx?Category=13

Click on the photo at the bottom with Mischa Barton. Or where it says "javascript:javascript:var x = windo...lbars=yes,resizable=no,width=700,height=650')Latest photos from Corbis Outline"

Then if you go to photo 20, there is a nice portrait of the lovely Sarah.

The Public Accounts Commitee in the UK ( an arm of the Government here) is about to launch an enquiry into the Crown Estates which covers Royal Lodge etc. They are none too pleased about the very "Iffy" terms which Prince Andrew, for example, has aquired his home and he may loose it because of this.

Here are the pics from lfi and some from globephotos, may 23

Isn't Sarah beautiful in that dress?

Attachments

• 07836891.jpeg
    07836891.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 07836892.jpeg
    07836892.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 07836893.jpeg
    07836893.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 07836894.jpeg
    07836894.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 07836895.jpeg
    07836895.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 07836896.jpeg
    07836896.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 07836897.jpeg
    07836897.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 07836898.jpeg
    07836898.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 07836899.jpeg
    07836899.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 07837033.jpeg
    07837033.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 212
more pics from lfi, may 23

Attachments

• 23641569.jpeg
    23641569.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 23641571.jpeg
    23641571.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 152
  • 23641570.jpeg
    23641570.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 23641568.jpeg
    23641568.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 23641567.jpeg
    23641567.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 162
  • 23641565.jpeg
    23641565.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 07837036.jpeg
    07837036.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 177
  • 07837035.jpeg
    07837035.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 07837034.jpeg
    07837034.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 23641566.jpeg
    23641566.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 149
and even more pics

Attachments

• 23641572.jpeg
    23641572.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 23641729.jpeg
    23641729.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 23641730.jpeg
    23641730.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 23641731.jpeg
    23641731.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 23641732.jpeg
    23641732.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 169
waw she looks great !!! what a beautiful dress ...:)

Wow, so nice not to see her wearing black for once.
She looks incredible!

Wow! The Duchess looks fabulous! What incredible legs - I love the fishnet stockings!

hillary_nugent said:
I agree the fishnet stockings actually look good....and with those cool shoes... :D
I agree. I think she (and the fish-nets) look(s) good. The shoes would be far too high for me, but they're nice. :)

this was the so called "nude pic" lol, you can't see anything, i think she looks quite good in the pic

Will Fergie ever forgive herself? Wednesday, 15 June 2005 SOMETIMES the camera can get you at just the wrong angle. And when it's the wrong time and at the wrong place, then you're pretty much guaranteed a picture fit for burning. Such was the fate of the Duchess of York this week, when she blundered into the path of waiting paparazzi as she tottered out of Boujis nightclub in South Kensington at 3.30am.

The cameras clicked and the paparazzi had their picture -- hollow-eyed, deathly pale, a trick of the light giving her a decidedly haunted look.

You had to feel for Fergie. One night on the town with a niece and her friends and the fallout is captured for posterity. For Fergie, it was particularly mortifying because she lives in a perennial state of anxiety about upsetting the Royal Family, and particularly Her Majesty (as she likes to call the Queen).

The Duchess has been divorced from Prince Andrew for nine years, but is in an ongoing state of self-inflicted penance for the horrors -- toe-sucking and all -- she inflicted on the Royal Family in the early Nineties and which marked a pivotal moment in their history.

She has paid off the £ 4 million overdraft she'd accumulated, raised two lovely, impeccably-mannered girls, has forged her own successful career as 'ambassador' for WeightWatchers in America -- and all the while kept her head down.

She had been at back-to-back meetings all day long, then on to a modern art party, where she was supporting her old friend, sculptress Aly Brown, then to dinner, before she turned up at Boujis with her young friends, including her 19-year- old niece, Ayesha Makim.

Indeed, Fergie must be permanently jet-lagged. She spends two weeks in every month in the States, flying from one place to another to address people in her role as ambassador for WeightWatchers.

Friends say she has received many offers for work in Britain -- Volkswagen were interested in her advertising for them -- but she will not break her vow never again knowingly to embarrass the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family.

The Americans still think she is royal, and they bow and scrape and curtsy in a way which Fergie, who craves love and affection, finds irresistible.

But once she's done one of her 'super-meetings' -- motivational talks to around 2,000 women at a time -- it's back to yet another anonymous hotel, usually somewhere in the American Midwest, for room service and a TV supper.

It's a lonely job, and those who meet Fergie for the first time are struck immediately by just how alone she seems. She is paid most handsomely for her work -- reportedly £2 million a year -- but friends point out that WeightWatchers 'get their pound of flesh'.

'She is up at 4am every day doing radio and television interviews back to back, as well as personal appearances and business dinners in the evening,' says a friend.

'Often, she doesn't fall into bed until midnight. It's absolutely exhausting and really far from glamorous.

'I think what last week's picture shows more than anything is just how very, very tired she is. Sarah is a real trooper -- she always wants to do things herself rather than delegate -- but it is starting to take its toll.'

Her reward is an enviably trim size eight to ten figure. But recently, as that picture of her showed with shocking clarity, she's been looking just a little gaunt -- haggard even. Putting on a few pounds wouldn't do any harm at all.

Friends worry about her. 'It's fair to say she's obsessed with her weight -- even though friends tell her that she doesn't need to be so hard on herself,' says the source.

Invariably dressed in black Dolce and Gabbana, looking chic in a New York power-dressed sort of way, one senses it isn't really her. Conforming again -- against type -- to please everyone else.

She works so hard partly to seek approval. As one friend puts it: 'She has spent the past 15 years making amends for her mistakes, and will continue to do so.'

Not that Sarah, who received just £300,000 from her divorce settlement from Andrew in 1996, can afford to stop. She needs the work.

'At one point, she did reconsider going back to re-negotiate the settlement,' says a friend. 'But she did not want to cause any further embarrassment to the Queen and, in the end, decided to walk away with a resigned smile.'

Back in Britain, she has her adored girls, but no husband. At 45, she would dearly love to be happily settled with a man again.

For four years, post-Andrew, she had an on/off relationship with Italian Count Gaddo della Gherardesca, but it simply drifted before they split up for good.

Today, she says she is single, but sources close to her say this is not strictly true: that she is, in fact, still seeing Rupert Beckwith-Smith, with whom she was linked a few years ago, but has been sworn by him to secrecy.

After one newspaper report a few months ago about the romance, the Duchess's spokeswoman issued a swift denial, and the Duchess and her people continue vehemently to deny any romantic involvement.

Beckwith-Smith is the brother of her best friend and old flatmate Carolyn Cotterell, who died of cancer four years ago.

Why Beckwith-Smith does not wish his friendship with the Duchess to be made public is not clear, but it must be hard even for Sarah -- who endeavours to look on the bright side of everything -- to find a positive take on this. And it's likely that she finds it deeply hurtful. Who wouldn't?

And then there is the question of where her home is. The friend says that since she maintained her own suite of rooms at Sunninghill Park in Berkshire -- Andrew's and Sarah's former 'South York' marital residence -- there was really no need to rent the cottage in Windlesham, Surrey, which she kept up until a few months ago.

It was precisely because of Beckwith-Smith, a 45-year-old racing driver turned painter, that she had continued to do so. For it was a place they could meet discreetly, uninterrupted by prying eyes.

'It suited Sarah to keep the cottage because she could hardly take Rupert to Sunninghill, where Andrew was living, not to mention all the staff. It is not a situation of Sarah's choosing. She adores Rupert and would like things to become serious between them, but for whatever reason he won't go public with her.

'They were first linked a few years ago and pictured soon afterwards. Rupert was furious and ended it, and Sarah was distraught. She persuaded him to come back -- but on his terms.

'Now that Sarah has given up her cottage, she goes up to his place in Northamptonshire. The only time they ever go out is to country pubs, where they know they'll be left alone and not be photographed.

'It's hardly ideal, and you have to ask yourself the question, where is it all heading?'

Nowhere would appear to be the answer. Perhaps Beckwith-Smith is unable to contemplate taking on the Duchess's rather heavy 'baggage'.

No one is more aware than the Duchess herself of the weight of that load. 'Sarah has often spoken forlornly of how difficult it is, given her lifestyle and the "baggage" that she comes with,' says a friend.

Sarah will not go with them, although a suite of rooms is being renovated for her so she can continue the arrangement she currently has at Sunninghill -- not being permanently based there, but able to come and go as she pleases. It is doubtful that some of the more senior members of the Royal Family will approve, but Sarah does continue to exert considerable influence over her ex-husband.

Still, it works both ways. Andrew may be weak and lazy, but he is the Queen's son, and if ever the Duchess does anything deemed to be embarrassing, he will get straight on the phone to 'give her a talking to'.

He was, say friends, straight on the phone to her after she gave an interview last December in which she said she enjoyed going out 'on the pull' with her daughters.

'Sarah insists it was a joke, but Andrew was furious,' says the friend. 'Sarah dreads these phone calls. She does not exactly kow-tow to Andrew, but she is always very mindful of what she does and says, to the point where she's stepping on eggshells.

'Not offending the Royal Family is always uppermost in her mind.'

Which is rather sad, really, given that they have made it perfectly clear they want nothing to do with her. How hurtful it must be when her girls go off to Sandringham for Christmas with all the rest of the royal clan -- as was the case last December -- leaving their mother behind.

Together with the death of Carolyn Cotterell, the Duchess has taken some heavy blows these past few years, leaving her feeling more isolated than ever. But she just gets on with it the best she can.

Tomorrow, she flies back out to America for more WeightWatchers duties, culminating in an event on behalf of the Washington Speakers Bureau in Cincinnati -- a motivational talk about how to pull back from the financial brink.

Then it's back to Britain to spend the weekend with the girls -- Beatrice boards at St George's, Ascot, and Eugenie at Marlborough -- and then off again to the States for a WeightWatchers media tour. And so it will go on.

In between, she will no doubt find the time to continue writing her children's books. The Duchess also wants to write historical novels with a lead character called Lady Margaret Hartmoor -- 'She's me in 1759' -- who is 'attacked by highwaymen and things like that'.
A flight of fantasy on behalf of the Duchess, perhaps, to escape the painful reality of her real life.

By Natalie Clark and Rebecca English
Daily Mail June 11 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the shoes from the black and white Elton John book picture. The fishnets look quite cool, I wouldn't have expected that.

TELEGRAPH NEWS

t.gif
t.gif
A few more pounds for the Duchess of deli
By Harry Mount
(Filed: 21/06/2005)

Members of the Royal Family used to lend their names to regiments or battleships. Ex-members, it seems, have to make do with their own New York deli sandwich.

The Duchess of York yesterday conferred all her considerable class and dignity on a huge helping of grilled chicken breast on rye with lettuce, tomato, melted cheese and light mayonnaise.

In the latest of a series of endorsements which have turned her into a US celebrity, at least on daytime TV, the Duchess is being paid an undisclosed sum by French's to promote their GourMayo wasabi horseradish-flavoured light mayo.

The slogan with which the mayonnaise is marketed - "half the fat and calories of mayonnaise" - may not be a Madison Avenue classic. But it is at least direct and to the point, like the Duchess herself.

As endorsements go, however, the Duchess of York's embrace of her sandwich was somewhat half-hearted.

Far from wolfing it down, or even tucking in with abandon, the star of yesterday's show merely picked at the dish.

"The portion sizes here are enormous," she complained. "You'll notice I only nibble a slight corner at the edge of the sandwich. You've got to take the edge off it with things like light mayonnaise."

The Duchess was a special guest of the Stage Deli, a Seventh Avenue restaurant popular in its day with Joe Di Maggio and Damon Runyon. But she shared star billing with a housewife from Memidji, Minnesota.

Until her 1996 divorce from the Duke of York, the Duchess regularly dined with the crowned heads of Europe and the world's great and good. Yesterday she shared lunch with Patrice Hurd, the housewife who had won a sandwich recipe contest sponsored by French's GourMayo.

While negotiating her way around the sandwich, she found time to launch a broadside against local eating habits. And she also indulged her taste for confession, a talent which has only strengthened her image as a naturalised American in all but name. "Obesity is the number one killer in America; smoking is number two," she said. "They really must change."

Frank, perhaps to a fault, about her own problem with food, she launched into a long explanation on her personal love-hate relationship with eating. "I didn't have a disorder; I just ate too much. Food was my friend," she said, sounding like the voice of WeightWatchers that she has in fact been for several years. "What caused me to eat was trying to get people to like me. When I was under stress, the first thing I turned to was food. When mum died, I put on 10 pounds."

She was delighted to be in America, she said. "I love Britain and the British but I don't like the social hierarchy and the system. I find the constant judgment difficult. Just because I don't fit into a box, I'm criticised. I've never been happier. I'm moving from dark to light; from negativity to positivity. The best thing is that I'm here today. I'm a very good mother. [Prince] Andrew and I have a family unity that's stable, open and secure. I can safely say to my girls: learn by my mistakes."

The Duchess is at the moment single, she admitted as her passion for self-revelation ran away with her. "I wish there was someone. Perhaps the Telegraph Dateline can help. I think it would be very difficult for a man to give up his private life to put up with all that goes with me."

Not the least of the challenges any such suitor would have to negotiate would be the Duchess's love of publicity, as witnessed by her readiness to join Dolly Parton, Adam Sandler and Mel Brooks in having a Stage Deli sandwich named after her.

MIRROR NEWSPAPER

21 June 2005
FAT FERGIE SARNIE GOES DOWN WELL
A SANDWICH filled with chicken, melted cheese and horseradish sauce has been named the Duchess of York.

But slimline Fergie, once overweight, warned "just don't eat the whole thing" as she launched the super sarnie at the Stage Deli in New York.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/06/21/sarahferguson/

FERGIE TAKES A BITE OF THE DUCHESS OF YORK

21 JUNE 2005

Prince Andrew's ex-wife Sarah Ferguson received a tasty Big Apple honour on Monday, unveiling a new "Duchess Of York" sandwich at a New York deli.

The Stage Deli's menu is packed with celebrity-named sandwiches, including the Frank Sinatra – a spicy feast of pepper, onions and Italian sausage – and the Dolly Parton, a pair of rolls piled with corned beef and pastrami.

The Duchess' delicacy consists of grilled chicken breast topped with melted Muenster cheese, lettuce, tomato, and light wasabi horseradish mayonnaise.

But, famous for battling to keep her figure slim, the Weight Watchers spokesmodel only took a few bites of the two-inch high snack, making it clear that the "humongous" sarnie is best in moderation.

"You can have a bit of this sandwich as I have," she said, "just don't eat the whole thing."

1. "That's humungous," said the flame-haired royal after getting her first look at the two-inch high Duchess of York sandwich at Manhattan's Stage Deli
2. The Duchess tucks into her namesake, a grilled chicken sarnie with Muenster cheese, lettuce, tomato, and light wasabi horseradish mayonnaise

Attachments

• fergiesandwich-dop1a.jpg
    fergiesandwich-dop1a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 633
  • fergiesandwich-dop2a.jpg
    fergiesandwich-dop2a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 602
isnt the dutchess on some sort of diet...would she eat the sandwich while on this diet...however i must say...it would be cool having a sandwich named after you...a brand of honey is named after me...and there is also a belly dance named after me

From UK Press

June 30th, 2005

The Duchess of York at the Revolution & Revelation - a Russian Art Sale' preview evening

Attachments

• Fergie_Russian_Gala_1-UKP.jpg
    Fergie_Russian_Gala_1-UKP.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Fergie_Russian_Gala_2-UKP.jpg
    Fergie_Russian_Gala_2-UKP.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Fergie_Russian_Gala_3-UKP.jpg
    Fergie_Russian_Gala_3-UKP.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Fergie_Russian_Gala_4-UKP.jpg
    Fergie_Russian_Gala_4-UKP.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Fergie_Russian_Gala_6-UKP.jpg
    Fergie_Russian_Gala_6-UKP.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Fergie_Russian_Gala_5-UKP.jpg
    Fergie_Russian_Gala_5-UKP.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 228
agisele said:
Jimmy Choos. :)
oh....she was part of the '4 inches' book right? omg...all those pics are amazing everyone looks absolutely gorgeous and even more gorgeous are the shoessssss!!!! :D

She looks great, but she needs to lay off the dark colours.

HELLO MAGAZINE ARTICLES

Gunilla Von Bismarck's fancy dress parties are nearly as legendary as the striking blonde aristocrat herself. And when it came to inaugurate her spectacular new mansion in Marbella, Spain, the socialite did not disappoint, throwing a masquerade ball featuring a roster of royal guests ranging from the king of Sweden to the Duchess of York....

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/07/04/vonbismarckparty/

1,2.From gettyimages.com~The Duchess of York w/ her daughters at the Veuve Clicquot Gold Cup finals.

from hellomagazine.com

3.York Girls Add Some Glitz to Polo's Gold Cup

York girls add some glitz to polo's Gold Cup

Attachments

• 53248629.jpg
    53248629.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 53248638.jpg
    53248638.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 328
  • fergie-dop1a.jpg
    fergie-dop1a.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 480
MIRROR NEWSPAPER ARTICLES

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15748027%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=fergie%2ds%2dfrock%2dflock%2d-name_page.html

18 July 2005
FERGIE'S FROCK FLOCK
FERGIE showed she's at last top of the frocks during a summer outing with her girls.

Daughters Beatrice, 16, and Eugenie, 15, also wore dresses fit for princesses for a day out at Cowdray Park Polo Club in Midhurst, Surrey. The Duchess of York, 45, and the princesses posed for photographers at the Veuve Cliquot Gold Cup British open polo championship. Beatrice is cover girl for society bible Tatler's September issue - perhaps just pipping her mum at the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom