Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m always wondering if this Manuel guy was really a boyfriend or he’s one of her “girlfriends”?

It does seem like Sarah pops up at a lot of charity functions and a lot of times with her daughters. If, because of these people, the charities make even ten more dollars and can help one more person that needs it, its all good.
...:
I've thought about responding to this comment since it was posted and hesitated, perhaps because I have pretty strong opinions about the celebrification of charitable fund raising, being biased by my own decade of contribution to my personal most important cause.
I respectfully disagree. If you are going to use your celebrity status (or in Sarah's case, ex royal status) to urge people to donate their hard earned money to a particular charity IMO you have a duty to vet that charity.
In Sarah's case, those who donated to her 'charity' which shut down in the USA several years ago basically funded her money making 'gala' w/ a few bucks thrown to other charities. Frankly, her children in crisis charity, if you look at the financials, works w/ less than 2 million pounds a year (which includes grants from other charities) and has over a dozen staff.
Charitable funding is not infinite and it seems every famous and not so famous person has set up some kind of foundation for some kind of need. Each of those of course have paid staff, paid for 'fund raisers,' etc. diluting the actual benefit that gets to those in need.
I think we are better off w/ fewer larger, better run charities rather than the overcrowded patchwork of celebrity foundations that have increasingly popped up.

I’m always wondering if this Manuel guy was really a boyfriend or he’s one of her “girlfriends”?

She has a lot of "girlfriends" but she doesn't present them the way she does Manuel. Constantly having him as a plus-one at public events, inviting him to family events, vacationing and traveling with him, cosy pictures https://us.hellomagazine.com/imagen...-manuel-fernandez-celebrity-fight-night-a.jpg https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-...uson-Boyfriend-Manuel-Fernandez-France-03.jpg . I don't think they're on a marriage track (for one, Sarah would lose Duchess of York) but I do believe they're slightly more than friends with benefits.

Last edited:
If you are going to use your celebrity status (or in Sarah's case, ex royal status) to urge people to donate their hard earned money to a particular charity IMO you have a duty to vet that charity.
In Sarah's case, those who donated to her 'charity' which shut down in the USA several years ago basically funded her money making 'gala' w/ a few bucks thrown to other charities. Frankly, her children in crisis charity, if you look at the financials, works w/ less than 2 million pounds a year (which includes grants from other charities) and has over a dozen staff.
popped up.

sensible. I think that so much of this "setting up foundations" is because it seems to be "required" for every mini celeb now to be seen doing "charity work". and I think it would be much more sensible if they picked a few existing charities and asked people to donate to them.
Theres' no harm in Sarah, she's kind hearted and probably wants to do some good, but she has very little brain.....

I've thought about responding to this comment since it was posted and hesitated, perhaps because I have pretty strong opinions about the celebrification of charitable fund raising, being biased by my own decade of contribution to my personal most important cause.
I respectfully disagree. If you are going to use your celebrity status (or in Sarah's case, ex royal status) to urge people to donate their hard earned money to a particular charity IMO you have a duty to vet that charity.
Charitable funding is not infinite and it seems every famous and not so famous person has set up some kind of foundation for some kind of need. Each of those of course have paid staff, paid for 'fund raisers,' etc. diluting the actual benefit that gets to those in need.
I think we are better off w/ fewer larger, better run charities rather than the overcrowded patchwork of celebrity foundations that have increasingly popped up.

In Sarah's defense, she's not the only one with dubious charity involvement. It wasn't too long ago that one of Prince Charles' major foundations was only giving about 35% of revenues to charity, the rest being spent on lavish Michael Fawcett-run entertainments for the prince's jet-setter donors, many of whom were referred to as Bond Villains in his office.

Sarah is on a charity treadmill. She wants prominent people to show up and lend support for her causes, so she must support the interests of those people. It is hard to get off that merry-go-round once you get on.

Those here who have read my scathing (and of course deleted) posts about Sarah know that I am not a fan. However, I recognize her charity circuit obligations are a grind, and she handles it with good humor.

If she has any sort of opportunity to slowly and gracefully back out of this charity whirlpool, she should do it.

I think that the different traditional models of philanthropy are changing.

I don't think it is acceptable any more to go to Africa and don a khaki outfit and stand in dusty dirt for a photo op, leave, and 10 months later report that 60% of the money your foundation raised was "diverted" or somesuch by local authorities. And, before you think I'm talking about Sarah in Rwanda, no, I'm speaking of Bill Clinton.

I think Sarah has an opportunity here. Andrew, too. Maybe a Pitch@Palace initiative for a new charity model.

Theres' no harm in Sarah, she's kind hearted and probably wants to do some good, but she has very little brain.....

Fergie has no real income, so how does she fund her lifestyle?
She seems to do quite well out of her charities, even if she is the only one who does.

She has some income. but she problaby gets by with freebies from richer friends a lot and I suppose Andrew and the girls help.
I just think that there is no real need for her to do charity wrok. She is not a Princess, has been treated as "not one of us", by the RF for a long time and has also lost popularity with the British public who clearly don't want her around even as a "former Princess" public figure. So why not give up, get a normal job if she can find something, or just retire into private life. If she wants to be invoved with charities she can connect with some existing one and do something for them at times.

The first thing I think when I see her name attached to a charity is "why?"

Sure, the tabloids will feature her at the gala so the cause will get a press mention, but it makes you wonder about the charity organization itself if they think she is a good representative, given her expensive upkeep and history of insolvency and cringe-worthy personal indiscretions.

If Children in Crisis takes in 2 mil a year and has 12 staffers as was mentioned earlier, there does not seem to be a lot left over for those children. Say the average salary is 40,000 pounds. That's half of what they take in per year, when multiplied by 12. Then you have Sarah's expenses.

I think she is of the age when she can retire and live a private life. This lady needs grandchildren. I think she'd be a fantastic spoiling grandma. Those two nice daughters have to step up and lasso a couple of good men pronto.

I have spoken of her previously as a grandmother, in a negative way. That was short-sighted of me. I think it will be her best role ever.

Last edited:
She has some income. but she problaby gets by with freebies from richer friends a lot and I suppose Andrew and the girls help.
I just think that there is no real need for her to do charity wrok. She is not a Princess, has been treated as "not one of us", by the RF for a long time and has also lost popularity with the British public who clearly don't want her around even as a "former Princess" public figure. So why not give up, get a normal job if she can find something, or just retire into private life. If she wants to be invoved with charities she can connect with some existing one and do something for them at times.

Anytime someone raises money to help right a cause is a good thing. Even Sarah. Personally, I think she’s lonely. She’s on the outside looking in. Her “happy divorce” song is all she knows. Yes it would be better if she would be more independent but I doubt that happening. It’s really sad when you think of it. I think at times it’s not her neediness that bothers people as much as her taking does. JMO-she’s lonely

Thank you for clearing that up. Here I thought she was working with charities like the Cancer trust (founded 1990), Children in Crisis (1993), Not for sale (2001), Care (1945) to name a few. I guess I missed that she had ditched these and was trying to what start new charities?????

Since when has been being a princess been a requirement to doing charity work? Or divorce mean you have to stop? Diana, Alexandra (Denmark) come to mind as proof that really isn't the case. Sarah is doing nothing any woman of her background hasn't done with their life. Focussing on charity and society work, after kids are grown.

But yes, she should abandon charities she has helped with for over 30 years, because she is no longer a royal. I mean that would be the responsible thing.

Again the Yorks get railroaded for breathing, people criticize them no matter what they do.

Retire into private life? We peasants do charity work as well. And I wont be hanging up my volunteer badge simply for lack of tiara. So why should she?

:previous: Ugh, what is that every time we see a photo of Sarah at some charity event the slugs come out. They slime everything she is or has done and judging by some posts, have an intimate knowledge of her personal finances. Even worse, they want her to go away, be banished from society because they have decided she is not worthy.

Well, you said it Countessmeout, why should she have disappeared once she was divorced? She has enough money not to have to need a job but she puts in an awful lot of time with charity work she has been involved in for decades and she doesn't mind getting her hands dirty to show the need.

People who troll someone they have never met except via gossip rags need to take a good hard look at themselves and asked if they have spent even two hours doing charity work in the last week? Month? Year? At all? Well I am betting it is never for almost all of them because anyone who volunteers for a charity knows it takes more time than fishing in your wallet or writing a cheque to support a charity.

Sarah gives of her time and, when invited she attends charity gala's and since she is not a multi-millionaire donor I can only surmise she is there because she is someone people enjoy having around because she isn't just a wannabe.

:previous: Ugh, what is that every time we see a photo of Sarah at some charity event the slugs come out. They slime everything she is or has done and judging by some posts, have an intimate knowledge of her personal finances. Even worse, they want her to go away, be banished from society because they have decided she is not worthy.

Well, you said it Countessmeout, why should she have disappeared once she was divorced? She has enough money not to have to need a job but she puts in an awful lot of time with charity work she has been involved in for decades and she doesn't mind getting her hands dirty to show the need.

People who troll someone they have never met except via gossip rags need to take a good hard look at themselves and asked if they have spent even two hours doing charity work in the last week? Month? Year? At all? Well I am betting it is never for almost all of them because anyone who volunteers for a charity knows it takes more time than fishing in your wallet or writing a cheque to support a charity.

Sarah gives of her time and, when invited she attends charity gala's and since she is not a multi-millionaire donor I can only surmise she is there because she is someone people enjoy having around because she isn't just a wannabe.

She gives of time ?? More likely gets paid for time !! This is how it goes with celebrities you get paid !!!!!!!!! I’m not going to continue with this but really a history of getting money from dodgy people plus has sold out her husband sold herself out.

:previous: Well, you know the rules. If she was paid for the charity work let's have some supporting evidence or save your breath to cool your porridge (figuratively of course).

Does it really matter if she's paid her expenses or gets compensation from organizations sometimes? As I see it, if she can bring in more deep pockets or garner more needed attention for a cause, its well worth it. And... the money paid her isn't coming out of our pockets so really no big deal. :D

Does it really matter if she's paid her expenses or gets compensation from organizations sometimes? As I see it, if she can bring in more deep pockets or garner more needed attention for a cause, its well worth it. And... the money paid her isn't coming out of our pockets so really no big deal. :D[/QUOTE]

Yep who cares ... just ditch the halo

Please note that posts containing unnecessary/aggressive remarks have been deleted as they added nothing to a mature discussion.

:previous: Well, you know the rules. If she was paid for the charity work let's have some supporting evidence or save your breath to cool your porridge (figuratively of course).

There's the Starkie book, if you want evidence.

Now that Harry and Meghan are engaged, what are the odds that Sarah will be invited to this wedding? She wasn't invited to William and Kate's, but Harry has kept in touch with her to some extent, since he often visits Andrew and Sarah's ski lodge.

I think it's probably very unlikely she gets invited but who knows. She wasn't invited to Edward and Sophie's wedding either or the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

Now that Harry and Meghan are engaged, what are the odds that Sarah will be invited to this wedding? She wasn't invited to William and Kate's, but Harry has kept in touch with her to some extent, since he often visits Andrew and Sarah's ski lodge.

As she cried VERY pubicly that she was not invited to the last royal wedding (and it was such a shame etc ..), i really doubt that she will be invited to this one.
But who knows ...

I do think she should be invited, if only to make her daughters happy and to ... sort of pave the way for her daughters' eventual weddings to have a full list of senior royal guests.

Another thing -- if Sarah is excluded, her absence will be a very negative and competing story in the newspapers. That kind of negativity really goes against Harry's image.

Last edited:
I think it's probably very unlikely she gets invited but who knows. She wasn't invited to Edward and Sophie's wedding either or the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

But Sarah hasn't stayed in contact with Edward or Charles. She definitely has seen Harry in recent years, as Eugenie and Cressida are good friends.

I'm not sure what we'll happen either, but it seems to me there's more chance that Sarah will be invited to Harry's wedding than any of others.

Considering that this might be the last Royal Wedding that Prince Philip will attend (due to his great age), I don't think that Harry would want to put him through the strain of having Sarah at the wedding.

She was at Williams wedding IIRC.

LaRae

Sarah did not attend William's wedding. If my one brain cell is awake and active, I seem to recall that she went to Thailand or somewhere in the east to a health spa or something and wasn't in the UK during the wedding.

I'm just hoping that with this wedding, there isn't a repeat request for Sarah to do TV commentary for the big day. She turned it down for William's wedding but who knows what she'd think of the offer now. :D

Sarah did not attend William's wedding. If my one brain cell is awake and active, I seem to recall that she went to Thailand or somewhere in the east to a health spa or something and wasn't in the UK during the wedding.

I'm just hoping that with this wedding, there isn't a repeat request for Sarah to do TV commentary for the big day. She turned it down for William's wedding but who knows what she'd think of the offer now. :D

Hmmm...I must be thinking of a different event...Thanks!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom