The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenS5 View Post
Where is she, under a rock somewhere????? LoL :-)
She is doing what a lot of people (and probably the whole of the BRF) desired: living a quiet, dignified life out of the public's view. Why not congratulate her?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Courtier

She shouldn't need congratulating for doing something she should have started doing years ago. The only reason she is being quiet is because she has been in so much trouble she has no other choice in the matter. Let's see how long it lasts for she is due to have a book out in August....

Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
She is doing what a lot of people (and probably the whole of the BRF) desired: living a quiet, dignified life out of the public's view. Why not congratulate her?
While I agree that she has been quiet lately, dignified and Sarah shouldn't be used in the same sentence, IMO. The Queen is dignified, Sarah is not and never has been and until she foregoes her ridiculously short skirts (for a start) and stops leeching off her ex and his staff, she never will be. She has been ominously quiet - like the calm before the storm. Maybe someone suggested to her that if she wanted her daughters to not be further excluded from a public role in the BRF, she needed to cool it. Or maybe the less than stellar book sales and the TV series flop have percolated through her own inflated ego. Whatever it was, it's refreshing.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Serene Highness

Well said. I agree.!!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
While I agree that she has been quiet lately, dignified and Sarah shouldn't be used in the same sentence, IMO. The Queen is dignified, Sarah is not and never has been and until she foregoes her ridiculously short skirts (for a start) and stops leeching off her ex and his staff, she never will be. She has been ominously quiet - like the calm before the storm. Maybe someone suggested to her that if she wanted her daughters to not be further excluded from a public role in the BRF, she needed to cool it. Or maybe the less than stellar book sales and the TV series flop have percolated through her own inflated ego. Whatever it was, it's refreshing.
Think it's simple. It's been mentioned multiple times before, I think the BRF is in no way going to allow her to open her mouth, they've got Turkey hanging over her head and they've told her they'll take care of it but only if she disappears for at least the duration of the jubilee. Might even be a permanent deal as they've finally got a choker around her neck that she can't shake.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Think it's simple. It's been mentioned multiple times before, I think the BRF is in no way going to allow her to open her mouth, they've got Turkey hanging over her head and they've told her they'll take care of it but only if she disappears for at least the duration of the jubilee. Might even be a permanent deal as they've finally got a choker around her neck that she can't shake.
We live in hope......
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We live in hope......
Amen to that.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenS5 View Post
Where is she, under a rock somewhere????? LoL :-)
(I’ve read through this thread and I have a few questions I’m hoping someone may be able to answer)

1. Does she still live in Andrew’s mansion?
  2. Now that she does not have an income from working in America how does she make ends meet? I’m guessing it must come from residuals from books she’s written in the past or investment income?
  3. Does she have any low-cost hobbies?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Yes she still lives with Andrew. No idea what money she is living off she did get paid for Finding Sarah but I doubt it went that far. Her books haven't done that well lately so any residuals wouldn't be much. Don't know of any low cost hobbies she does seem to have cut down on her shopping etc. It seems Andrew stepped in so maybe she is on a tight leash and can't spend like she used too.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

She still lives with Andrew!? Good gracious, I thought it made sense when the kids were growing up; but now it is coming off as if she is Andrew's 3rd child he has to support.

On another note, why can't somebody in a higher position be friends with a servant or someone who works for them; it seems like prejudice and distasteful to say the invisible line should never be crossed and never treat a servant as nothing else but that.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
On another note, why can't somebody in a higher position be friends with a servant or someone who works for them; it seems like prejudice and distasteful to say the invisible line should never be crossed and never treat a servant as nothing else but that.
It is a very old custom and will not be anachronistic as long as there are people: the very idea of friendship means some sort of equality which is difficult to achieve as long as one orders the other around. Normally a situation like that with two different scenarios interchanging at different times (master-servant, friend-friend) leads to a different view of where they stand at different times. And that must not but in most cases leads to trouble eventually. Which prudent people best avoid.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think servants have to be "bossed" around. You cantreat someone well and ask them can they do this as opposed to go so this. I have been friends and had relationships with bosses and teachers where the first part of the relationship wasn't equal as you say. I just think this idea of servants can't be people and can't be treated as anything more but a servant is archaic.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the reply! A follow-up question for anyone on the forum.

I remember reading a long time ago that the Duke of Windsor insisted that servants call his wife "Your Royal Highness". I realize Sarah's situation is different, but I'm wondering how servants in Royal Lodge address her? "Your Grace", "Your Royal Highness", "Madame"?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, Sarah's no longer a royal highness as a result of their divorce and I doubt Andrew would insist on her being referred to as such. I would think perhaps "ma'am" would do.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Andrew insisted that they call Sarah her royal highness when they were married to each other as a matter of respect as I think anyone in his position would. Now that they are divorced as has been stated, he probably doesn't insist on it. I doubt that she's called Sarah.

Royalty and servants are on two different levels. It's not the same thing as a relationship between a boss and his workers or a teacher his/her students. In all of these relationships one has authority over the others but if the student leaves the class, leaves school or the employee quits or goes to another job, the relationship would change. The relationship depending on many factors could become more equalized. This would be you're average person.

This would never be the case with royalty and servants as the balance of power and position would be the issue. I would imagine it's best if it's kept that way.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Must be a British thing because I completely disagree, you can find friendship anywhere no matter what class you come from. With the way you talk it would be impossible for anyone who is royalty to find a friend because the status' will not be equal. I also seem to remember Princess Margaret falling in love with a servant, and in other situations where the relationship between servant and whoever they were serving was closer than the relationship with their own family; and some of those actually did occur in England so I suppose this attitude isnt just a British thing. Sarah found one bad apple, doesnt mean she should never consider another servant her friend.
As to what Sarah is addressed as, it can't be HRH so I would assume Miss Ferguson.
There have been some in this thread who have theorized that Sarah's silence could be attributed to the BRF holding the Turkey thing over her head and finally forcing her to shut up; I wonder how long such a situation could last?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I would assume Miss Ferguson.
Funny that you mention that. I thought of that after I posed my question and then remembered reading that her last name became ", Duchess of York" after her divorce.

So I'm guessing (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that it would technically be OK to call her "Ms. , Duchess of York". She wouldn't be "Your Ladyship", right?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Miss Duchess of York? Would she really go by that? After I made my post I thought perhaps she would be Miss York, it wouldn't be confusing with her daughters who would be referred to as HRH right?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Miss Duchess of York? Would she really go by that? After I made my post I thought perhaps she would be Miss York, it wouldn't be confusing with her daughters who would be referred to as HRH right?
It's an interesting and difficult question. As she herself is not reverting back to Miss Ferguson, but sticks to Sarah, Duchess of York she will use the title as part of her name somehow. So no Mrs. MOuntbatten-Windsor for her either. Probably she can be addressed as "Duchess" and then as "Ma'am"?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Probably she can be addressed as "Duchess" and then as "Ma'am"?
Thanks for that clarification, Kataryn. Actually, I think Oprah Winfrey called her "Duchess" in Finding Sarah.

And if the Yorks remarry when things change in Andrews family she would then revert back to "Your Royal Highness" and it would be inappropriate to refer to her as "Sarah" anymore. Is that right?

(It's a bit confusing but I think it's starting to make sense now)

Closed Thread