Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because past behaviour is frequently indicative of future behaviour, and with Sarah we have learned there usually is an agenda.....getting her name back in the news.

Hmm. Possibly.Who knows in a couple of weeks Sarah would be on Oprah or some other reality show dabbing with a tissue about how nice person Thatcher was and how close they were..
And the introductory note would be:

"Duchess Sarah Ferguson was a close friend and confidant of Magaret Thatcher (with that "pic" in background). She was very moved by the latter's death and insisted on paying personal tributes to her. Unfortunately she is still ostracized by RF so could not attend her funeral. But that doesnt prevent her from sharing fond memories of The Iron Lady"..

Last edited:
Well, her statement on Margaret's passing wasn't it. She simply did what a lot of people are doing, releasing their statement and memories of Margaret Thatcher.

Sarah is going to be in the news no matter what. If she's giving an interview about her charity work, attending an event or even with the girls. It's going to make the news. The British royals can't escape the media, divorced or not.

Hmm. Possibly.Who knows in a couple of weeks Sarah would be on Oprah or some other reality show dabbing with a tissue about how nice person Thatcher was and how close they were..
And the introductory note would be:

"Duchess Sarah Ferguson was a close friend and confidant of Magaret Thatcher (with that "pic" in background). She was very moved by the latter's death and insisted on paying personal tributes to her. Unfortunately she is still ostracized by RF so could not attend her funeral. But that doesnt prevent her from sharing fond memories of The Iron Lady"..

Lol, I don't think that will happen.

Last edited:
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question to posters from the UK, but is anyone but the Thatcher family involved in drawing up the invitation list, the government?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question to posters from the UK, but is anyone but the Thatcher family involved in drawing up the invitation list, the government?

Family, government, and her staff. Invitees cover her political career; special interests; important events; people who worked for her personally; friends, world leaders, and family members. And Royalty.

...which would seem to imply that Sarah DID have a relatively close relationship with MT, and that her comments were sincere, heartfelt and entitely appropriate!

It certainly does.

I wonder if Andrew will attend...and with whom would he sit?

I would imagine as this is going to be a ceremonial funeral with full military honors, what we're going to see is basically the order of precedence used at Will and Kate's wedding but with the left side of the aisle reserved for the family of Margaret Thatcher (and close friends) while on the right which ever members of the royal family attend, will be seated in said order. If Andrew does attend, he would be seated with the royal family. I imagine as always, the Queen and DoE will be the last to enter the church before the service starts

Sarah, who is no longer royal and most likely way down in any pecking order for seating, will be seated with other honored guests. This is why the original article about Sarah being invited made me chuckle as it insinuates that Sarah was invited to join the Queen for this.

The only royals announced as attending are The Queen and Philip

Sarah is no longer an HRH, so she would not be listed as a royal attending.

Sarah certainly wasn't in the pecking order for seating. She was in the second row, right behind the family.

He will sit next to his father..As simple as that.
At present (since the last 15 years) there is no Duchess of York, to sit next to The Duke of York.
His ex-wife will be let to sit next to him only at his daughters' weddings, I guess

Last edited:
Sarah certainly wasn't in the pecking order for seating. She was in the second row, right behind the family.

I'm not quite sure what this means about the 'pecking order'. Surely sitting in the second row, right behind the family, is a favored position.

I think you need to look again - she is in the second/third row on the family side. IF you want to consider "pecking order" (why?) then that's pretty good.

She was sitting beside Lord Bell, Baroness Thatcher's spokesman (person who broke the news of her death) and close friend.

She was about as close to the top of the pecking order as you could get. She was sat directly behind Carol Thatcher and the Thatcher family. Clearly she's close to a family member, or sat in the wrong seat to get that close.

He will sit next to his father..As simple as that.

Actually, more than likely, if Andrew had attended, he would have sat behind his mother and father with previous PM's. Seeing as he wasn't there, the conversation is mute.

Well I think it's a typical bitchy comment from the DM. I don't suppose that they wrote a similar comment to the picture of the Queen smiling and laughing with the Thatchers on the Steps of St Paul's ; or the smiles and laughing of other guests including senior politicians.

This is a form of bullying, just picking on one guest who's behaviour was in line with other guests.

Kicking Sarah should not be a hobby for a national newspaper or for anyone else for that matter.

Well I think it's a typical bitchy comment from the DM. I don't suppose that they wrote a similar comment to the picture of the Queen smiling and laughing with the Thatchers on the Steps of St Paul's ; or the smiles and laughing of other guests including senior politicians.

This is a form of bullying, just picking on one guest who's behaviour was in line with other guests.

Kicking Sarah should not be a hobby for a national newspaper or for anyone else for that matter.

That's what has become, a hobby for the media and others. Sarah was just smiling and greeting members of the congregation like everybody else.

Last edited:

I could not agree more. It's become very clear that some people genuinely enjoy disparaging Sarah, even over incredibly harmless actions. I find myself feeling a bit sorry for her.

is si nice see sarah in an oficial event. she do some wrong things in the past but she stil is the mother of two princesses. I am happy for her-

Agree, cepe. There were lots of smiles at the service. I noticed the Cheneys seemed ebullient too. It's sort of understandable - she was a well respected lady who led a full life.

That's what has become, a hobby for the media and others. Sarah was just smiling and greeting members of the congregation like everybody else.

To me it all depends on how WIDE the smile is. And Sarah's smile was a bit too wide for my personal taste. I would interpret a smaller greeting smile as correct for a funeral which, again for me, is not a place to express joy when meeting old acquaintances or enjoying being back in the public light not too far from your ex-mother in law the Queen.

To me it all depends on how WIDE the smile is. And Sarah's smile was a bit too wide for my personal taste. I would interpret a smaller greeting smile as correct for a funeral which, again for me, is not a place to express joy when meeting old acquaintances or enjoying being back in the public light not too far from your ex-mother in law the Queen.

Oh dear god.

Sure, let's get out our tape measures and come up with an acceptable etiquette standard. "Smiles may not exceed this width" :bang:

Last edited:
I get the idea that different sizes of smiles (and different smiles in general) are appropriate for different occasions and moments. However without context - literal lines of "this is what was said, this is who Sarah was greeting, this is their expression) we have no grounds to say what is and isn't appropriate. This just seems like another attempt to attack Sarah.

I know, personally, at the last funeral I remember laughing really hard at one moment, despite the fact that I was bawling throughout it. I wasn't the only one to laugh at that moment either, in the context it was appropriate.

I get the idea that different sizes of smiles (and different smiles in general) are appropriate for different occasions and moments. However without context - literal lines of "this is what was said, this is who Sarah was greeting, this is their expression) we have no grounds to say what is and isn't appropriate. This just seems like another attempt to attack Sarah.

I know, personally, at the last funeral I remember laughing really hard at one moment, despite the fact that I was bawling throughout it. I wasn't the only one to laugh at that moment either, in the context it was appropriate.

I agree Ish. And I thought this particular service seemed to have a lot of people who were glad to see and greet one another. I personally think the smiles were way less offensive than the cameras were. Just my opinion though.

I think you need to look again - she is in the second/third row on the family side. IF you want to consider "pecking order" (why?) then that's pretty good.

She was sitting beside Lord Bell, Baroness Thatcher's spokesman (person who broke the news of her death) and close friend.
I suspect that she simply came two hours before the service and took the best possible place.
When your seat is reserved, you don't wait two hours in a church.

I suspect that she simply came two hours before the service and took the best possible place.
When your seat is reserved, you don't wait two hours in a church.

All guests were asked to be in their places by 10:00. If they had all turned up at 10:00 then they would not have followed the instruction. The doors opened at 09:00 and there were already guests waiting to get in - and Sarah was not one of them.

2,300 people to be in place and ready by exactly 11:00 - this is a logistical question and as usual the British achieved this by individuals such as the Duchess of York doing what they were asked.

Seats were reserved with names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom