The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,433
Are you inferring that Sarah knows only a handful of people with reputations beyond reproach (Sir Richard Branson being one of them)? Do you know everyone that Sarah knows or are we making an assumption based on the bad ones?

Furthermore, if everyone who had money limited their charitable donations to just charities based in their home country than the world will be a sadder place than it already is. I guess foundations that work to feed the starving children of Africa, or work to negate the affect of malaria on underdeveloped and poor countries shouldn't solicit anyone outside their home country.

I know Sarah has certainly made some bad decisions, and as someone who has liked Sarah in the past, and has questioned some of her recent actions, I must say it is sad (very sad indeed) that every action, thought, look and comment that Sarah makes is viewed by such a negative outlook.

I mean seriously...we are questioning on whether or not Sarah is not sincere about reducing and/or bringing attention to human trafficking? Because she joined the party late in the game? What is the criteria that determines sincerity? Whether or not, she is going to use the charity for her own personal financial gain? Did I miss something...has Sarah been accused and/or charged of using charity money for her own personal use? Surely the Daily Mail wouldn't have missed that story!

Don't get me wrong...with the issues/mistakes/mishaps (whatever you want to call them) that Sarah has made throughout the years its very easy to look at Sarah with a jaundiced eye but I think its is very unfair to make broad assumptions.
__________________

__________________
.

  #662  
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 650
Zonk, you are so right and I agree with much of what you say, but please permit me to make a few points:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Are you inferring that Sarah knows only a handful of people with reputations beyond reproach (Sir Richard Branson being one of them)? Do you know everyone that Sarah knows or are we making an assumption based on the bad ones? .
Oddly enough, I do know a good deal about the British-based people of very high net financial worth, who are public supporters of charities. [I have limited information about those people who make private donations] This is probably because in the UK there are relatively few such people. When compared with US benefactors, in general UK donors are felt to be significantly less generous than American benefactors. Historically, this has been put down to two main reasons, which may or may not still be true: 1. Less favourable tax relief schemes for UK taxpayers 2. The richest UK citizens [see the various UK wealth lists - the Sunday Times Rich List is regarded as being one of the 'market leaders' in this respect] contain many 'old money' names whereas most large charitable donations come from the more-recently rich. This may be something to do with the fact that again, because of the UK tax regimes, our very wealthy families tend to be 'income poor' [although of course I am speaking 'relatively] as much of their wealth is tied up in Family Trusts, again to keep it out of the hands of the predatory tax man.

One assumption that I am making however, is to concentrate on potential large donors: i.e. wealthy individuals making large donations, not just small donations. I take this view in the light of what members have said above, particularly Russo, i.e. that we are looking at Sarah using her connections to raise LARGE sums of money from individuals.

Anyway, having glanced through the rich list and the top names, I can certainly see a few who know Sarah [not all are friends] and I have to say, truthfully, that I cannot see anyone who I would regard as likely contributors to this latest trafficking charitable venture. For example, the Queen features, along with the Duke of Westminster, Viscount Cowdray, Robert Miller, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Richard Branson, The Beckhams, Roman Abramovich, Richard Branson, Lakshmi Mittal, Galen Weston.... in this list, Sarah's acquaintances are limited to the Queen, Richard Branson, Viscount Cowdray. [Viscount Cowdray, although very wealthy, has NO history of philanthropic giving.] Galen Weston knew Sarah through polo but I have discounted him because he is a very close friend of the Prince of Wales and I am sure his own charitable foundation would choose to support one of Prince Charles' causes. The Beckhams are more closesly associated with Prince William [and any way, I do not rate them as very philanthropic]

Another point: it is unfortunate that in the UK, there are some people who adopt particular charities in order to benefit themselves socially. It is also a fact that some unscrupulous people get involved in charitable works with more than half an eye to an advantageous appearance in the Honours lists. One way to try to ensure your appearance therein is to link yourself with prominent charities, often with a royal patron. Excellence of the cause is not their prime motivator. I must make it clear that I am not citing those individuals that I have mentioned above as being guilty of this sort of behaviour. But, believe you me, there are people with money who want to make donations where it will do THEM most good. I am not sure that Sarah's current charitable interests would come into that category. Please note that I am not saying that 'NOT FOR SALE' is not a worthy cause - it is. It's just that there are other causes which are seen as more 'suitable' to one's social advancement. This sort of behaviour is actually found through all income levels in the UK: case in point: I see lots of people VERY keen on Riding for the Disabled, Save the Children etc. The possibility of being present during a Royal Visit is a very strong incentive for some people to get involved in charity.......... [this is of course nothing to do with any fault, perceived or otherwise, on the part of Sarah of course]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Furthermore, if everyone who had money limited their charitable donations to just charities based in their home country than the world will be a sadder place than it already is. .
Zonk, I so agree. Particuarly as I also take the view that we are all global citizens. Of course it is right that everyone takes an interest in the problems of the world. And even setting aside global problems such as hunger, AIDs, trafficking come to that, it's right to point out that many rich American philanthropists actually fund UK institutions very generously - The Royal Academy for starters. And the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gives millions of dollars [pounds] a year to fund students in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I guess foundations that work to feed the starving children of Africa, or work to negate the affect of malaria on underdeveloped and poor countries shouldn't solicit anyone outside their home country..
Zonk, the point that I am making is a serious one but about a completely different aspect: I am not commenting on the worthiness of the cause...what I am saying is that I do not sincerely believe that Sarah has enough 'pulling power' to bring in donations from wealthy UK donors. Which is an entirely different point from what you are making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I know Sarah has certainly made some bad decisions, and as someone who has liked Sarah in the past, and has questioned some of her recent actions, I must say it is sad (very sad indeed) that every action, thought, look and comment that Sarah makes is viewed by such a negative outlook.

I mean seriously...we are questioning on whether or not Sarah is not sincere about reducing and/or bringing attention to human trafficking? Because she joined the party late in the game? What is the criteria that determines sincerity? Whether or not, she is going to use the charity for her own personal financial gain? Did I miss something...has Sarah been accused and/or charged of using charity money for her own personal use? Surely the Daily Mail wouldn't have missed that story!

Don't get me wrong...with the issues/mistakes/mishaps (whatever you want to call them) that Sarah has made throughout the years its very easy to look at Sarah with a jaundiced eye but I think its is very unfair to make broad assumptions.

And from my point of view, the problem is just as you have described. I am afraid that the reason that I - and perhaps others here - look upon Sarah with 'a jaundiced eye' is because she repeatedly has given us cause to do just that. She does not seem to learn from her mistakes. Ever. Indeed, forum members here who bravely struggled through 'Finding Sarah' have told us that the contents seem to be little different from her various bleatings in her previous books... And I have to say that I am not entirely sure that being labelled a 'people-pleaser' is really helpful - it just seems to be an convenient excuse to try to find a label to 'excuse the inexcusable'...

For me, the bottom line is that Sarah now desperately needs something to do. I have said above that in my humble opinion, Sarah has not got a history of altrustic behaviour for its own end: to me, she needs 'charity' to keep in the public eye. She needs charity to - well, if I can put it blunty - to allow her to travel the world etc. In the very recent past, Sarah has had both honesty issues and has also confessed that she has no idea about financial matters. She has continued to make remarks that impact negatively on the BRF even though they have been good - and generous for that matter - to Sarah in the past [I always shudder when I read posts by people here - surely some of the most well-informed royal experts in the world - about how Sarah 'only received a pittance of £15,000 for her divorce settlement' etc etc] and in the latest clips posted by members, we see Sarah on TV yet again complaining [because that is what it is] about her failure to be invited to the wedding of William and Catherine, leading to more criticism of the BRF. Sarah needs something to rehabilitate her tarnished image, she needs something to give her a public role [whch she seems to beleive that she is entitled to..] She seems to have no romantic love interest [from a wealthy man at any rate]. If she is sincere about this new charity venture, then I am both pleased for her and sorry that I have maligned her. But to me, I feel that Sarah needs this charity far more than it really needs her.............

Just my thoughts, which are of course not meant to offfend,

Alex
__________________

  #663  
Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Well, some commentators are obviously not much impressed by Sarah anymore...

From: Fergie upstaged by Carole Middleton - Telegraph

Fergie upstaged by Carole Middleton

Sarah, Duchess of York, the former wife of Prince Andrew, attend the same show at the Royal Opera House as Carole Middleton, Prince William's mother-in-law.

Tim Walker. Edited by Sally Newall
7:28AM GMT 17 Nov 2011
There was a time when the presence of Sarah, Duchess of York, at any occasion would cause a stir. Now, it seems others connected to the Royal Family by marriage are of greater interest. Mandrake hears that this week both the Duke of York’s former wife and Carole Middleton, the mother of the Duchess of Cambridge, visited the Royal Opera House to see Manon at the same time. My mole claims “Fergie” dined with two unassuming-looking male companions in the public Paul Hamlyn Hall restaurant, while the Duke of Cambridge’s mother-in-law ate in a private room.

An ROH spokesman confirmed their attendance, adding: “We do not comment on guests’ dining arrangements.” How diplomatic. (End of quote)

When you read this (the top news of the Mandrake-column, no less) then it's not the reported fact that both attened opera and had supper afterwards at the same occasion but the comment which has nothing to do with the facts that diminished Sarah. And that's fairly interesting, IMHO.
  #664  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 AM
expat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 184
I suppose this should be in Sarah Ferguson's fashion and style.
Quite surprising footwear and not only because of the bandages.

Sarah Ferguson wears bandages on her feet at Tamara Ecclestone's party | Mail Online
  #665  
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I suppose this should be in Sarah Ferguson's fashion and style.
Quite surprising footwear and not only because of the bandages.

Sarah Ferguson wears bandages on her feet at Tamara Ecclestone's party | Mail Online

Don't quite understand this at all - the bandages do NOT seem to be of a supportive sort and this is the FIRST time ever that I have heard that you have to bandage BOTH ankles.....

And if she really is suffering from a sprained ankle, she would be better advised NOT to wear heels. Plus, wearing shoes with a large bright flash of silver draws attention to the bandages........

Alex
  #666  
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,433
Let's stay on topic with Sarah's Current Events.....we don't need to rehash the Cash for Access scandal, the royal wedding, Christmas visits, etc.
__________________
.

  #667  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,433
Please note that off topic posts that have NOTHING to do with Sarah's Current Events have been deleted.

This includes but is not limited to rehashing the PAST EVENTS, speculating about Sarah and the Queen's Jubilee, etc.
__________________
.

  #668  
Old 11-19-2011, 02:54 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 34,738
___________________


Sarah, Duchess of York, attended the WOMEN FOR WOMEN International Awards Gala
held at MoMa, New York, November 17, 2011.



** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
  #669  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 AM
marine2109's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Women at their peak at 52? On their knees, more like!
Madonna to Sarah Ferguson: Women at their peak at 52? Liz Jones thinks not... | Mail Online
  #670  
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM
FergieFan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 147
Liz Jones says that celebrities like Sarah "are not happy and beautiful because they are 52. They are these things because they have money, and time and a support network".

I accept this as a fair point in Sarah's case, but what Ms. Jones forgets is the horrendous tabloid bullying that she went through over her weight and body image in the past. After such an experience, the fact that Sarah is now being held up as a role model for 50-something women of how they can look and feel good physically is a major achievement. (And the pictures from the MoMa event show that it's a status she deserves).

My advice to Ms. Jones would be to stop being so relentlessly negative about herself. If Sarah has succeeded in achieving an image and a life that she's happy with at 52, so can you!

Happy New Year to everyone on the forums!
__________________
"There is no triumph without struggle, no wisdom without misjudgement, no character without getting knocked down and picking yourself up again".
- Sarah, Duchess of York
from Finding Sarah: A Duchess' Journey to Find Herself (2011: Simon & Schuster, New York)
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
  #671  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central valley, United States
Posts: 743
For those wondering where Sarah has been - apparently in Jamaica
Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell vacation in Montego Bay - NYPOST.com

Celebs Ring In The New Year on The Rock - News - JamaicaObserver.com she's pix #2 - outfit looks a bit warm for Jamaica, IMO.
  #672  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Celebs Ring In The New Year on The Rock - News - JamaicaObserver.com she's pix #2 - outfit looks a bit warm for Jamaica, IMO.
That's because it's not a picture of her in Jamaica...it's a picture from a year ago or so, I think, taken in London or NY.
  #673  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,433
Please note that all posts regarding Sarah and the Turkish orphanages have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-18975-10.html

Thanks!

Zonk
__________________
.

  #674  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,707
Sarah, Duchess of York and Queen of Cringe - Telegraph


Sarah, Duchess of York and Queen of Cringe
  #675  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Sarah, Duchess of York and Queen of Cringe - Telegraph


Sarah, Duchess of York and Queen of Cringe
Nothing like kicking a woman when she's down, Telegraph.
  #676  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 34,738
___________________



Sarah, Duchess of York seen leaving Restaurant 34 in Mayfair, London on January 19, 2012:



** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
  #677  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,157
She looks very serious.
  #678  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,264
Stress taking its toll? Sarah Ferguson looks strained amid extradition demand as she steps out for dinner | Mail Online
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
  #679  
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Didn't Sarah take on the filming job for ITN? If so, should they not share in the burden of this debacle?
  #680  
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,637
As far as we know they haven't been included in the charges but I am sure that someone from there will also be named eventually, unless this is a purely political stunt by Turkey to argue that foreign governments were trying to discredit them in their bid to join the EU.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 15: October 2009-December 2010 Zonk Current Events Archive 618 01-01-2011 09:32 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 7: December 2006-February 2007 Avalon Current Events Archive 191 02-02-2007 04:19 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 6: September-December 2006 Avalon Current Events Archive 170 12-24-2006 12:07 PM




Popular Tags
albania aristocracy ascot 2016 bernadotte best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit june best outfit october 2016 best outfit september 2016 birthday coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria denmark dictatorship duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge farah diba fashion poll fashion suggestions feminism jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander member introduction monaco monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince charles prince louis princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion queen silvia royalty september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises