Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder whether anyone has avoided contributing to a charity because Sarah was involved with it? I'm not sure that Sarah has the kind of profile that would attract someone to a cause. She's certainly not a Princess Royal--known for her hard work in truly difficult areas--or a Countess of Wessex--known for low-key appearances done with dignity and friendliness.

I wonder whether anyone has avoided contributing to a charity because Sarah was involved with it? I'm not sure that Sarah has the kind of profile that would attract someone to a cause. She's certainly not a Princess Royal--known for her hard work in truly difficult areas--or a Countess of Wessex--known for low-key appearances done with dignity and friendliness.

I think to most people, Sarah seems to be on the fringe of royalty with Andrew as an ex husband and 2 daughters that are princesses. I'm sure that the people who associate with Sarah are well aware of her foibles in the past but they're also aware of how well meaning she can be and perhaps see that her heart is in the right place.

If Sarah can glean one donation that makes a difference in someone's life, its all good. Whether or not Sarah gets recompense or free flights out of what she does doesn't really matter as she is a private citizen. I just wish she had found her stride in charity works when first married and perhaps she would have meshed in better with her role as Andrew's wife.

On the subject of Sarah's charity work, I'd like to quote a little from the book "Fergie Confidential" by Chris Hutchins (1995). This is by no means an officially sanctioned or cheerleading biography. I'd say it was a balanced and fair minded look at Sarah's life up to then, the positives and the negatives.

Quote: "Her apparent unselfishness won over many people who came into contact with her through her charity work. [...] 'She puts in so much of her own free time for us', said Peter Cardy, director of the Motor Neurone Disease Foundation. 'Sending us hand-written notes when she is supposed to be on holiday, dashing off to gory medical briefings when she is supposed to be off duty [...] That tells you about her commitment'. [...] Away from the spotlight, the Duchess made several private visits that were not listed on the Court Circular to the Trinity Hospice. [...] The hospice was not one of her 'official' charities, butsbe helped its fund raising activities and made surprise visits to cheer up the patients".
A patient then goes on to say that "she takes a real interest. It is not just a case of doing her duty".

Now, admittedly, this quote is from more than 20 years ago, but I can't believe her attitude to charity work would have changed so drastically. It's hardly consistent with the image of someone who engages in charity just for the publicity and the travel expenses.

As for the question of how effective her support is nowadays - I believe the tickets for the Not For Sale event she spoke at in California were being sold for several thousand dollars. There are still many wealthy Americans who will pay significant sums to charity to be able to rub shoulders with Sarah.

No doubt she is getting some first class flights on expenses, and I'm sure she combines some charity trips with leisure and business, but I don't have a problem with that. The work she is doing is benefitting real people. As people have suggested, I think she does have a certain need for public recognition, but I think she wants that recognition for doing something that really matters, something that genuinely helps people. She has gone through so many tough times in her own life, and I think that gives her a real sense of empathy for the suffering of others.

With Americans, I would say even a duchess who is divorced and not an HRH is still considered pretty glamorous. Otherwise all we have are celebrities and presidents who are out after 4 or 8 years and eccentric rich people (Bill Gates, Donald Trump, etc.)

I like her natural. Not beautiful, but somehow very pretty (Pic. 2). Would love to have the scarf.

That scarf is lovely and I see she likes to carry multiple bags. Is that a green tote inside the pink one?

Why is Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York:bang::bang::bang: sparing the Twitter of the horror of her updates since October?
Did she go into the shell again to come out with another thunder-bang?

Just thought I'd post a tweet from Sarah's Twitter here. I haven't seen the media reporting on this charitable trip, but it goes to show that Sarah still does things that go unreported. (I can't imagine why the Daily Mail hasn't jumped on this news! ;))

@SarahTheDuchess
Just back from rural River Cess in Liberia. How inspiring to see such immense courage. Education is key. Well done @ChildrenCrisis

Thanks for posting that, rmay. After Sarah's visit to the new teenage cancer ward last week, here she is now doing great work in Liberia.

This is certainly not some brief appearance for the cameras, either (I'm not sure there even were cameras!) but part of a long-term commitment to improving life for people in one of the world's poorest countries. Sarah has been to Liberia several times in the last few years. You can see a video of a 2009 visit she made here:

As you say, there's not much chance of the DM or any other UK paper reporting on this, as they are only interested in "scandals", holidays, living the high life - anything to support their fictitious image of the self-indulgent freeloader that they try to portray. At least some of us do appreciate the reality - a caring, compassionate lady who works hard for her charities, and is determined to make a difference! Well done Sarah!

It's good to see a video that shows Sarah concentrating on the welfare of others. I noticed that this video was uploaded three years ago. Have there been any trips like this since, and was this video part of a larger documentary?

I'm pretty certain that Sarah has made several visits to Liberia in the last few years, although I can't give exact details - it's just what I remember from various interviews. And these visits are part of an ongoing project by her charity Children in Crisis, which you can read about here:

Children in Crisis

There are also ongoing projects in Afghanistan, Sierra Leone and the DRC, and I'm fairly sure Sarah has visited these countries (I definitely remember reading about her visit to Sierra Leone). She also plays an active role in raising funds for all these projects - charity dinners, auctions, encouraging wealthy people to donate. There is so much she does which goes unremarked.

As for whether that video was part of a longer documentary - as far as I know, it isn't. I've only come across this short video.

A sad but very touching story from the Mail, in which a young lady suffering from terminal cancer is receiving help from various celebrities to fulfil her last wishes.

Sarah has sent her some signed pictures And personal messages (shown in the article) and goodies for her fake "hen do", and also brought Robbie Williams into contact with her. Typical of Sarah, so sweet and kind hearted!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2289638/Stephanie-Knight-Tea-Gary-Barlow-card-tricks-street-magician-Dynamo-important-hen-night-How-21-year-old-dying-cancer-fulfilling-final-dreams.html

Sarah really has a good heart and she cares for other people.

It's amazing how much love and best wishes this young lady is receiving.

Sarah really has a good heart and she cares for other people.

It's amazing how much love and best wishes this young lady is receiving.

Personally I am very happy that Sarah is getting such positive feedback these days. She has always been a very caring and very trusting soul and if/when something affects her, she will go out of her way to make someone else happier.

It really seems that things are moving in a positive way for her and that a happy life is at Sarah's fingertips. Maybe she's really found her niche in the world.

Personally I am very happy that Sarah is getting such positive feedback these days. She has always been a very caring and very trusting soul and if/when something affects her, she will go out of her way to make someone else happier.

It really seems that things are moving in a positive way for her and that a happy life is at Sarah's fingertips. Maybe she's really found her niche in the world.

I agree completely. And I hope you're right that happiness may be within reach for her. She has the love of her family and friends, her financial problems are behind her, and her charity work and her books give her a purpose in life and the opportunity to make a difference. She has been through so much in life and deserves some happiness and contentment, and I hope with all my heart she is beginning to find it!

Sarah, Duchess of York, attended the Maggie's Barts fundraising luncheon at Le Cafe Anglais in London on March 19, 2013. Lady Helen was present as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

According to her Twitter, Sarah is back in the Swiss alps, but this time Klosters rather than Verbier.
She says she has been writing her book there. (Not sure which one that is - possibly the long delayed novel or maybe a follow up to Ballerina Rosie.)

I think it was very nice of Sarah to pay tribute to the Baroness.

I think it would have been better if Sarah wasn't trying to make it sound like they were actually friends. Having a cup of tea with someone a couple of times hardly makes you friends! It isn't like Sarah dropped in to 10 Downing for a cuppa and a chat. She would have seen Mrs Thatcher when she went to visit the Queen and Sarah happened to be there I doubt Mrs Thatcher actually ever sought her out and would presume to give Sarah any sort of advice on anything. Sarah should have just said she was a great lady who she admired and she got the opportunity to meet her.

Do we have to take Sarah's very appropriate tribute and try to turn it back on her?

Do we have to take Sarah's very appropriate tribute and try to turn it back on her?

No we don't. I dont think she was making more of it than it was. I'd imagine that Sarah is looking back over a somewhat difficult time in her life and Mrs Thatcher was kind to her. :flowers:

No we don't. I dont think she was making more of it than it was. I'd imagine that Sarah is looking back over a somewhat difficult time in her life and Mrs Thatcher was kind to her. :flowers:

Yeah, it was very touching that she paid her tribute and that she got to spend some time with her over tea.

I agree. I think that as a tribute, it's both touching and entirely appropriate. After all, the UK media is full of people pontificating about Lady Thatcher right now, plenty of whom would have barely met her, if at all.

Sarah, it seems, got to know her a little over tea at the palace, which gives her a different angle. Most people are debating the political leader, the Iron Lady. Sarah aknowledges this side but has personal experience of the former PM in different circumstances.

Personally, I never agreed with Lady Thatcher's politics, but Sarah's trubute shows us a different side of her, that she showed her kindness during difficult times. Sarah clearly respected and admired her, and has every right to express her views in whatever manner she feels is right.

Well she didn't made the cut for the guest list for the invitation only funeral.......but Joan Collins did, lol.

I think it would have been better if Sarah wasn't trying to make it sound like they were actually friends. Having a cup of tea with someone a couple of times hardly makes you friends! It isn't like Sarah dropped in to 10 Downing for a cuppa and a chat. She would have seen Mrs Thatcher when she went to visit the Queen and Sarah happened to be there I doubt Mrs Thatcher actually ever sought her out and would presume to give Sarah any sort of advice on anything. Sarah should have just said she was a great lady who she admired and she got the opportunity to meet her.

It is perfectly conceivable that they did have a cuppa to discuss things - particularly when Sarah was to undertake official engagements on behalf of the government - and all royals are briefed by senior members of the government as part of the preparation for these events.

It is also possible that the PM was involved in discussions over the failing marriage - which also had constitutional implications as Andrew was 4th in line and it was clear that Charles' marriage had already disintegrated - in fact if not officially.

They would also have meet annually at Balmoral where it is again perceivable that a friendship developed.

I am saddened that people always assume Sarah is lying or exaggerating without truly analysing the situation and the possibilities.

Prince Andrew still keeps an apartment at BP, and HM meets with the PM weekly. Their meeting several times over those years is not impossible, with a little effort on Sarah's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom