The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Apologies Zonk, this is the wrong place to pose this question but Russo has seen Alex/Diarist on a tear and has to ask this question before she pops out:
Can HM grant Andrew lands like PC has with the Duchy of Cornwall so he can gain income as well? Seems to me that would be much better than always dipping into her privvy purse.

That's an easy one to answer, Russo. The Queen [like anyone else] could easily set up a trust with Andrew [and his heirs] as a beneficiary. In exactly the same way that the Queen has already set up a trust [following Sarah and Andrew's divorce] to benefit Beatrice and Eugenie. The Queen could either set up a trust by buying property, the income of which could be used by Andrew [exactly the same principle on which the Duchy of Cornwall operates, although that was of course set up way back in 1337 by Edward III for his son and heir, Prince Edward, in order to provide him with an income from its assets.] Alternatively, the Queen could simply provide a large sum of money [rather than real estate], which the trustees could then invest in stocks and shares or even real estate, in order to produce an income to pay regularly to Andrew.

I have often thought that the way out of Sarah's current problems would be for the Queen to bite the bullet yet again [over the years she has reputedly shelled out a lot of money to pay Sarah and or pay off Sarah's debts] and settle land and/or money on Sarah in the form of a trust, administered by trustees, in order to make a regular payment to Sarah out of the income [not the capital] in return for a promise from Sarah to leave the public stage......... Most of Sarah's current activities seem to be concerned with the need to raise money on which to live; these commercial aspects may well not sit happily with the BRF. Having the option to retire from public life / public view, might therefore appeal to Sarah......

Not so easy to answer; what does 'on a tear' mean? And I apologise, but I have 'popped out' again!

Alex

Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Fascinating summary Diarist, as always - I think I'd opt for light blue paper w/ dark blue engraving - no coronet. Did anyone else notice that also at the Elton John event was Lynne Wyatt, isn't she the mother of Steve one of Sarah's former flames?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Copy that on the answers. I sent you a PM Diarist to explain the slang.
Miss Lynn is gadding about everywhere of late isn't she?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Not so easy to answer; what does 'on a tear' mean? And I apologise, but I have 'popped out' again!

Alex
American slang for on a spree or a suddern spurt of actions or activity the context determines whether positive or negative.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Fascinating summary Diarist, as always - I think I'd opt for light blue paper w/ dark blue engraving - no coronet. ?
And very stylish it would look too, sndral. And that it also a very serious point vis a vis Sarah's current events. She could easily adopt the same style of writing paper - drop the coronet and instead enhance her image by being correct and stylish. Which could only be advantageous in her quest for a way forward.

Alex.

Thanks to everyone for the explanation of 'on a tear'. I am usually ok when it comes to US slang. Not this time. And the only 'tearing' I am doing tonight is chasing the children into bed and the like. After doing a lot of homework..........
Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

I do echo Diarist's point regarding Sarah and a move to Los Angeles. It likely isn't possible due to visa requirements and residency status.

Further, appearing in Los Angeles and then New York a few days later indicates that Sarah does not live in Los Angeles. She's very likely making her move back to the UK. I don't think a move to Los Angeles would ever be wise for Sarah, though she has friends there I can't help but feel it would be too dramatic a change.

Her appearance at the Elton John AIDS event in New York demonstrates that Sarah has lost quite a bit of weight. That's the best she's looked in that dress in a long time (she's worn it several times over the years). Her hair looks good, she should probably cut it permanently. Her skin is another story, her face is screaming for a laser peel and sunscreen!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic. There is an appropriate thread to discuss the York settlement as well as the Trusts for Beatrice and Eugenie.

THANKS
!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist;1330923A

Following Sarah's divorce, I believe that at the very least her expenses are met on every 'engagement' that she undertakes, and very often, for commercial [as opposed to 'charity and not-for-profit appearances'], Sarah does receive remuneration, often substantial. Proving this is not so easy however. I know that one reason for Sarah losing 'day-to-day involvement' with the running of Children in Crisis was attributed to concerns that she was using that organisation to fund her own personal activities. One such example was given by Dr Allan Starkie in his book about Sarah. Obviously, I have no way of kinowing whether Dr Starkie's observations had any merit....
Alex

Thank you, Diarist.
I've long suspected this to be the case.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Majesty

Hmmm. Yes, I can see that point. Does anyone know how long a visitor can stay in the United States? Perhaps it depends on the reason why the person is staying. Canadian "snowbirds" who go to the USA have to return before half a year is up in order to keep their Canadian Medicare benefits, but that has to do with the rules on our side of the border. I can see Sarah spending a good deal of time in the USA, even if her permanent residence is in the UK. She'd have to earn enough to pay for her expenses, of course.

Quote:
As I understand the position, Sarah would find great difficulty in officially moving permanently moving to the USA, because I understand there would be visa and residence problems. Apparently, Sarah's rather precarious financial position and her less-than-robust financial history would not be acceptable to Uncle Sam!!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Courtier

It depends on the visa Sarah has. Some require that you leave every so many months and then you can re enter. I 'm not sure if or what visa Sarah would need. If she working there I would think she would need a green card. But if she plans on living there she needs some good high paying work because I don't see her living just anywhere in the US and it's expensive. They are huge sticklers on credit ratings etc so Sarah will need to be a lot more careful.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Gentry

Does members of the royal family need passports? I mean, I know Sarah is not a HRH, but is she still considered a member? She does have the title: Sarah, Duchess of York. Does that even mean anything?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Nobility

She isn't considered a member as she is divorced. As for the passport, yes she would need one, even the other members have passports. Not sure about the Monarch because of her position as head of state but the others have to have them. The princes and princesses usually use name of the land in their father's title as last name i.e. William Wales or Beatrice York.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Gentry

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen is the only person not to require a passport when travelling abroad.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Courtier

As NGalitzine says, only the Queen does NOT require a passport. All other royals are issued with one - and if they are going on an official visit abroad, the Private Secretary usually has custody of the passport to present it if required. [usually, host nations of royal visits do NOT require sight of the passport].

British Passports are now produced in a form common to all EU Nations - they are machine readable, with personal details towards the back of the document. Until EU passports were issued, the British Passport was a slightly larger document, with a dark navy cover, non machine-readable, and with the holder's name handwritten on the front, and various personal details - height, hair colour, eye colour etc handwritten on a page near the front of the document. One very significant change between the EU style passport and the traditional old navy blue passport is that on the old document, the holder's Title was shown: in the new EU style passport, no details of the holder's title are given [to the dismay, it must be said, of many British nobility!] Thus, I presume that Sarah's passport will read 'Sarah Margaret York' (i.e. with NO reference to Sarah, Duchess of York) although her maiden name [Ferguson] will also be shown.

Hope this is of interest

Alex
Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
It depends on the visa Sarah has. Some require that you leave every so many months and then you can re enter. I 'm not sure if or what visa Sarah would need. If she working there I would think she would need a green card. But if she plans on living there she needs some good high paying work because I don't see her living just anywhere in the US and it's expensive. They are huge sticklers on credit ratings etc so Sarah will need to be a lot more careful.

I agree with everything that you say Meadow. From personal experience, I believe US immigration formalities are amongst the toughest in the world. British nationals travelling to the US on vacation can generally get what is called a 'visa waiver', which excuses one from applying for a formal visa. I have in the past had to obtain a business visa for the US, not to work in the US on a permanent basis, but just to undertake the type of activities that a 'normal business person' would undertake. I had to apply by completing a fairly comprehensive VISA application form, and from memory I had to produce financial details and also proof in the form of a letter that I 'had a job that I would be returning to' in the UK. It was all very strict - and here is the interesting thing - the 'business' I was going to the USA to undertake was NOT a commercial activity, but was government-sponsored civil service work. On arrival at Dulles Airport, I was closely questioned again by an immigration officer.

To work in the USA on a long-term basis, Sarah would need a green card, and these are harder to obtain for UK citizens than for some other nationalities [from memory, Irish Citizens used to have a far easier time of it]. You do have to fill in fairly lengthy financial disclosures [unless the system has changed] and I think that Sarah would find some of her earlier financial 'situations' as quite challenging - the USA needs to know that you are debt free and will be able to support yourself etc etc. Another hurdle that Sarah might find is to do with where she proposes to reside: many appartments and condominium associations vet their prospective residents VERY carefully in order to guard against any possible disturbance, any financial issues etc. Many residents like to enjoy a quiet and private existence, and the possibility of the National Enquirer and the like 'keeping tabs on Sarah' could in my opinion make some communities and asssociations reluctant to have her resident on a permanent basis. Sarah has, I believe, rented property in the US before, so I assume that the obtacles are not insurmountable, but there again, the possibility exists...

Alex
Old 10-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's an easy one to answer, Russo. The Queen [like anyone else] could easily set up a trust with Andrew [and his heirs] as a beneficiary. In exactly the same way that the Queen has already set up a trust [following Sarah and Andrew's divorce] to benefit Beatrice and Eugenie. The Queen could either set up a trust by buying property, the income of which could be used by Andrew [exactly the same principle on which the Duchy of Cornwall operates, although that was of course set up way back in 1337 by Edward III for his son and heir, Prince Edward, in order to provide him with an income from its assets.] Alternatively, the Queen could simply provide a large sum of money [rather than real estate], which the trustees could then invest in stocks and shares or even real estate, in order to produce an income to pay regularly to Andrew.

Alex

The Queen could, but would she, especially in the current economic climate?

She is very astute and generally knows which way the wind is blowing; I realize she's indicated her support for Andrew in the past, but just imagine the flap if she were to do this right now!
I don't see her flouting public opinion in this way. She is generally more cautious than that.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Aristocracy

Hi Everyone

I've searched around for info about Sarah's room at Royal Lodge and I have a question that I hope someone might be able to answer. How large is the living space she occupies? Is it a room? A suite of rooms? Are there any photos?

Just curious. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceS View Post
Hi Everyone

I've searched around for info about Sarah's room at Royal Lodge and I have a question that I hope someone might be able to answer. How large is the living space she occupies? Is it a room? A suite of rooms? Are there any photos?

Just curious. Thanks!
This question is probably best for the Royal Lodge thread, but my understanding is that it's a suite of rooms. You'll definitely not find photos, though I do think a few scenes from "Finding Sarah" were filmed in Fergie's living room.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Nobility

I read that the Queen set up 1 million dollar for trust funds for her children when they were born (Andrew and Edward - perhaps later for Anne as she wasn't Queen when she was born) If you go by the principle that money doubles every 7 years, then those trust would be worth substantial amounts now. I'm sure they wouldn't have been touched at all until the recipients were at least 21.

Closed Thread