Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I the general idea was that Sarah had done a good thing? Why should she be worried? Is she really in danger of extradion? And if it did happen, wouldn't it bring more attention to the issue which Turkey is embarrassed about?

She is in very real danger if she is extradited there to be spending the next 22+ years in prison - simply so that the Turkish government can make a point - that they will protect their laws and borders - forget about protecting and caring for their own children so long as they can make a political point on the international stage.

It is designed to embarass the BRF, Britain and the EU.

Yea, in this particular case, I think Sarah did a good thing. It might have been foolhardy, but it was brave.

I think she should actually get a bit of credit for that.

Well for the many posters about the Duchess of York you will have work for years, every 3 months something happened to her.

It's as though Turkey waited until after their State Visit to the UK was over. It would have been very awkward for Sarah to have been charged by Turkey and then have the State Visit, considering the President dropping in on her ex-mother-in-law.:ermm:

Now I'm far from a Fergie apologist but the timing of this is rather strange, this could've been done any time in the last three years but only now, in a Jubilee year, but far away enough from the actual celebration, does it pop up.

Yes, which I think is why Turkey has spectacularly misfired on this. Turkey ends up looking petty, and the world is reminded of those orphanages. Bad move.

It is designed to embarass the BRF, Britain and the EU.

Yes, which I think is why Turkey has spectacularly misfired on this. Turkey ends up looking petty, and the world is reminded of those orphanages. Bad move.

But is it a bad more? I don't know what people are like where you live Mermaid1962, but I live in Western Canada and the few people who even know about the arrest warrant...don't care. Sarah Ferguson is just not on their radar screen. They are not thinking about the orphanages...they are talking about the latest cold spell, the outrageous behavior of that boat captain, etc.

:previous: I'm thinking of Turkey's stated desire to become part of the European Union. Turkey's actions re Sarah can be interpreted as their wanting to cover up their barbaric orphanages rather than their desire to protect the privacy of the children.

Timing is interesting.

Sarah is looking pretty run-down but if she didn't want to be seen in that condition, she wouldn't have been. I did notice the nice Birkin bag in a to-die-for- blue on her lap in the car, so times are still pleasant enough for her.

When I saw pics of her in the black wig, I thought hmmmm....not a bad alternative for her (from her orphanage excursion in Turkey.)

Timing is interesting.

Sarah is looking pretty run-down but if she didn't want to be seen in that condition, she wouldn't have been.

Dead-on, I do believe. I was a bit stunned by the photos since Sarah is nothing if not a vain woman, keen on how she is percieved - and you have just given the reason behind her showing herself in public in that unadorned way - no make-up basically. She knows she is being photographed and she makes no attempt to smile. The 'pose' in the car seems just that - a 'pose'. Question is: why? Is this for the Turkish authorities to see and regret their actions? Or is this suppose to elicit sympathy from the public? Alls she did was go out without her make-up on - not a big deal - and kinda cool - so why not smile? It all looks posed for a purpose now that you mention it.

She actually had/has my sympathy - having a foreign government threaten one in that way cannot be pleasant. But if she is going out in public to be snapped looking pitiful - that really is histrionic. Am I being too cynical?

Last edited:
No, I don't think you're cynical at all, Tyger. The means would justify the end if Sarah knows she's in hot water and probably would pull out all the stops to turn the tide in her favor. Whatever it takes to gain sympathy and public opinion on her side. It's PR warfare!

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible she springs for a P.R. firm or consultant. They may have told her to go about looking pitiful. Certainly makes Turkey look like the Bad Guy, which is her goal, after all.

Well if she needs a rest away from the public eye the Turks are willing to put her up. Then she would really have an interesting book to write.

I have to admit that, the exact same thought came to my mind Tyger. Sarah knows how to keep a low profile she has been doing it. So she wanted and knew she would be snapped. Who goes out to dinner without any makeup on? She really should have shown a little happiness afterall the British government have said no to the extradition. Or maybe she wants everyone to be sad because she can't go to all her usual vacation spots.

It's also possible she's losing it a bit. There were times on her recent Oprah show (even with makeup staff at hand) where she looked very much at loose ends, appeared on camera (obviously knowing she was going to be talking to the camera) without makeup and so on. Maybe she thinks that's keepin' it real.

Dead-on, I do believe. I was a bit stunned by the photos since Sarah is nothing if not a vain woman, keen on how she is percieved - and you have just given the reason behind her showing herself in public in that unadorned way - no make-up basically. She knows she is being photographed and she makes no attempt to smile. The 'pose' in the car seems just that - a 'pose'. Question is: why? Is this for the Turkish authorities to see and regret their actions? Or is this suppose to elicit sympathy from the public? Alls she did was go out without her make-up on - not a big deal - and kinda cool - so why not smile? It all looks posed for a purpose now that you mention it.

She actually had/has my sympathy - having a foreign government threaten one in that way cannot be pleasant. But if she is going out in public to be snapped looking pitiful - that really is histrionic. Am I being too cynical?

I think, that this has been a huge shock and a wakeup call and I do not think she thought that the Turks would literally request her to stand trial. If you don't mind my saying, she seems to be getting into more and more and more trouble as time goes by. First this bribery scandal with Andrew and now, the Turks want to jail her for that documentary. I don't like the idea of her being ordered to appear for trial, but quite frankly, the things she's been engaging in are coming with higher and higher and higher repercussions. She's been playing with a bigger and bigger fire and I am sure she's going to get crisped at some point. It's like her self destructiveness is reaching new heights and she is pushing and pushing and pushing her luck.

She's been playing with a bigger and bigger fire and I am sure she's going to get crisped at some point.

My husband has to fly to the US quite often due to his job and he said that immigration is getting tougher and tougher each time. I personally doubt that the US allows persons to enter the country who are searched by an international warrant by another country. It doesn't sound like something US authorities, especially the Homeland Security would do. So I'm not sure Sarah could even get into the US again! Does one of our US-members know more?

Because this would mean no more US media circus for her - and I don't think there's a market for her in the Uk. Ok, ITV might give her some possibilities as they were responsible, too for this distaster with Turkey and the Queen might try to help her - but surely the last option would mean for Sarah to finally buy that little home in the country (or get a Grace&Favour-home as mother of two princesses) and remove herself quietly from the scene.

She could probably getting permission again to work with the Royal archives and do some producing of history documentaries or so if she became humble enough to do such work...

What I want to know is why did Turkey decide now - over 3 years after the event and they had decided that the case was closed - which they did say in 2008 - to open up this again?

To me this is more a political move by Turkey to put out a reason, to the Turkish people, to explain why they are going to be rejected by the EU - because of the interference in their internal affairs by high profile people in other nations. Not just Sarah mind you - afterall France has just upset the Turkish government as well by making it illegal to claim that there was no genocide of the Armenians in 1915. The Turkish government has to put the blame elsewhere to remain in power when they miss out on EU membership - and rather than clean up the problems, such as Human Rights abuses of children - they are making statements on the world stage.

They are going after Sarah but not the ITV executives and others who were involved there - because they don't have the profile that Sarah has.

Last edited:
Well if it causes Sarah to go into quiet retirement I cannot say I am overly upset with the Turkish action. I doubt however this will be the case in the long term.

Was just thinking that if there is no more US media circus for Sarah, then she will not be able to tell them how much she loves HM and how hurt she is at not being invited to any of the celebrations for the Queen's Jubilee.

Because this would mean no more US media circus for her - and I don't think there's a market for her in the Uk. Ok, ITV might give her some possibilities as they were responsible, too for this distaster with Turkey and the Queen might try to help her - but surely the last option would mean for Sarah to finally buy that little home in the country (or get a Grace&Favour-home as mother of two princesses) and remove herself quietly from the scene.

She could probably getting permission again to work with the Royal archives and do some producing of history documentaries or so if she became humble enough to do such work...

I don't really think there is a market for her in the US any longer, either.
There are new celebrities every fifteen minutes, as Warhol would say, and Fergie is looking old and tired.

Nor do I think the Queen would be willing to help her...again.
I rather suspect she has washed her hands of Sarah, and no longer cares what she does (beyond having her people stress that Sarah is no longer a member of the RF). JMO.

My husband has to fly to the US quite often due to his job and he said that immigration is getting tougher and tougher each time. I personally doubt that the US allows persons to enter the country who are searched by an international warrant by another country. It doesn't sound like something US authorities, especially the Homeland Security would do. So I'm not sure Sarah could even get into the US again! Does one of our US-members know more?

I think at this point she should try going in through the Mexican-US border. It's quite porous and she should have no problems sneaking in.

Enough.

Let's stay on topic regarding Sarah's actual Current Events. There is no need to make speculative statements regarding Sarah and the Queen, whether or not there is a market for Sarah or what countries she should sneak into.

Any and all additional off topic (and outlandish) posts will be deleted without notice.

Last edited:
What I want to know is why did Turkey decide now - over 3 years after the event and they had decided that the case was closed - which they did say in 2008 - to open up this again?

To me this is more a political move by Turkey to put out a reason, to the Turkish people, to explain why they are going to be rejected by the EU - because of the interference in their internal affairs by high profile people in other nations. Not just Sarah mind you - afterall France has just upset the Turkish government as well by making it illegal to claim that there was no genocide of the Armenians in 1915. The Turkish government has to put the blame elsewhere to remain in power when they miss out on EU membership - and rather than clean up the problems, such as Human Rights abuses of children - they are making statements on the world stage.

They are going after Sarah but not the ITV executives and others who were involved there - because they don't have the profile that Sarah has.

I agree with this post 100%

I think you're correct on this, Bertie, it just doesn't smell right.

Isn't Sarah more obviously the visible person in the documentary? The producers could be producers and never set foot in Turkey, thereby not breaking Turkish law. The camera operators surely could be indicted, but there would be no visual evidence of them breaking the law (they are just a name on the credits - would that be enough to convict if they claimed they weren't actually there on that particular day in an orphanage? There's more than one camera person listed - how would a prosecutor collect evidence - I'm pretty sure Turkey has its own rules of evidence).

But put yourself on youtube or in any other easily viewable form, while committing a crime where your face is recognizable - you're much more likely to be prosecuted. Here in the U.S. the person who holds the camera is only rarely prosecuted - it's the person depicted doing the crime who is prosecuted (it's just too hard to nail down exactly who held the camera - or even to say if they were a part of the crime, they could be saying "don't do that, look, I'm filming you!"

In some crimes, the camera person is clearly implicated (Turkey might want an interview with the visibly law-breaking folks first, though).

She hasn't said what the topic is, just that it's another historical theme. Doesn't being a producer mean that you invest financially in a film?

Fearless Sarah, Duchess of York returns behind the camera - Telegraph

According to one source:

What does a producer do, exactly?
He shepherds the production from start to finish. In a typical arrangement, the producer develops an idea or script with a writer and secures the necessary rights. He often hires the director, supervises casting, and assembles a crew. Additionally, the producer oversees the budget and then coordinates the postproduction work—everything from editing, to commissioning music, to encouraging the film's stars to plug the movie on talk shows.

The top post of "producer" is just the tip of the iceberg, as anyone who's watched the opening credits of a movie knows well. Although Slumdog Millionaire, for example, credits only one producer, it lists two executive producers and two co-executive producers, along with a co-producer, an associate producer, and a line producer.

An executive producer often owns the rights to a book or story idea or secures at least 25 percent of the film's budget. Executive producers rarely have creative or technical involvement and are often caught up with several projects at once. The "co-executive producer" title applies to studio executives or distributors who have a limited financial stake in the project. A co-producer works under the producer and often helps with casting, financing, or postproduction.

What does a Hollywood producer do, exactly? - Slate Magazine
----------------

So it can actually vary on what Sarah's responsiblities . It looks like its a semi paying job but I don't think producers get paid until the movie makes money.

I thought it was a bit much when Sarah compares her "love story" with Andrew to that of Victoria & Albert. As far as I know Victoria was never unfaithful to Albert, although that is always a part of her own story Sarah seems to forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom