Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of us remember those days. And that is in part what makes some us so disappointed now. Over the years she seems to have gone down the wrong path but did so with her eyes open. I think she did care about clothes I remember seeing a documentry and it showed her having fittings and wanting her dress to swish when she danced she really revelled in the dresses she could buy and still does. She loves her designer gowns I recently read an article that she got so much in debt in part because she would get dresses and take so long deciding she would end up having to buy them. She spent and spends a ridicules amount on them. I think she got greedy once she became a member of the BRF and things opened up for her. Like a kid in a sweet shop! Andrew of course just let her go maybe if he had off been stronger and around more things would have been very different for them both. Also she tried to live the lifestyle how she perceived it should be lived when in reality most of the royals actually don't live that way. I always saw some of her actions as being very calculated and she never seemed to follow things through. Like the helicopter lessons, the carriage driving etc. She wanted to impress and get favour instead of being herself. Most of the royals who once thought she was great now can't stand her and it is hard to blame them with all her stunts. I don't think she will ever be allowed back into the family not after all she has done.

Also she tried to live the lifestyle how she perceived it should be lived when in reality most of the royals actually don't live that way.

Sarah must look at Princess Beatrice who sometimes DOES live the jetset life (as opposed to the 'royal' life) (see recent pics of her with Dave on a yacht in St Tropez the French Riviera), and sigh that her daughter appears to have what Sarah always wanted...

A vicarious pleasure ..... alas .... but she can still break out of her imaginary life.

For all that Sarah might envy Beatrice, well, Sarah could have lived that life if she had stayed married to Andrew or managed her money responsibly. If she's been living off of the trust funds of her daughters, put frankly she has no business wanting anything her daughter has.

I think she got greedy once she became a member of the BRF and things opened up for her. Like a kid in a sweet shop!

In countless biographies, it states how Sarah hung out with a set of people that were wealthier, prettier, and had more connections. While they paid their own way in the VIP life, she had to work as a chalet girl to pay for her stays at skiing lodges and was basically, socially, the 'poor relation.'

Last edited:
Sarah must look at Princess Beatrice who sometimes DOES live the jetset life (as opposed to the 'royal' life) (see recent pics of her with Dave on a yacht in St Tropez the French Riviera), and sigh that her daughter appears to have what Sarah always wanted...

Yes, I so agree; the difference, as you yourself have immediately identified is that so far as the BRF is concerned, they live a 'Royal life' which is more based on Civil List [or equivalent] payments, which have to fund engagements and duties, with money for private spending having to come from the particular Royal's own resources - leaving aside the Queen and The Prince of Wales (who have their own sources of 'other income, and also, to an extent William and Harry - who apart from money presumably paid to them by their father, also have generous bequests from their mother and -in Harry's case, apparently something from the late QM's will as well] other Royals tend to have family trusts but these are more capital-rich than income-rich. My boss once told me that if you are a 'minor Royal', although by all our standards they appear to live a wealthy lifestyle, it's a struggle for cash [look how the Duke of Gloucester even had to lease out his family estate some years ago (because he couldn't afford the upkeep] and basically move his family life to their Apartment in Kensington Palace..... By contast, the Jet Set life couldn't be more different - the world of private planes and vacationing in the most fashionable resorts at the 'right' times of year is only open to the enormously wealthy jet setter; Princess Margaret had Les Jolies Eaux on Mustique, but that was actually a gift from Lord Glenconner; leaving aside William and Harry etc, The Kents and The Gloucesters have to limit their vacationing to trips to stay with friends or even the so-called 'package holidays'. And even then, they can't be away all summer etc....

If Sarah wants the jet-set life, which I am sure she does, because, as AristoCat says, she got a taste for the high life from her pre-marital days [I am going to post more information now on the 'Options for Sarah to Recover' thread so that I don't take this thread off topic too much] Prince Andrew was NEVER going to be in a position to supply it. Sarah's only options are to either earn the ENORMOUS amount of money she needs to finance this sort of lifestyle - or marry it; it's a very cruel thing to say, but as Sarah is now a woman in her 50's, I don't think she is going to secure a FABULOUSLY rich husband - they tend to prefer young, slim blonde model types however unkind this sounds.... I am NOT saying that Sarah is NOT attractive, only that exceedingly wealthy men tend to marry great beauty [or other wealthy women.............]

Only my thoughts, and I don't want to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic with Sarah's actual events.

It doesn't look good for the book the company could be lucky to make back the advance. I hope Sarah hasn't already spent it all. It was kind of stupid she already did a biography!

Well Sarah is not the first (nor will she be the last) to write more than one biography.

I think the issue for Sarah (at least for my standpoint) is the inaccuracies in her stores from book to book (one book its a happy childhood the next book not so happy with demanding and not supportive parents) but more importantly, she has publicized the book so much...is there anything new in there that you can't read in any of the many interviews or television shows. Not so much.

She would have been better off writing a self help book to show how she has progressed with her issues. The problem is she really hasn't.

Too bad she didn't write a biography centered on her most recent activities, like how she got out of debt and then got back into debt. If she did that, she would likely end up actually reflecting more on her past actions and figuring things out more than she would in front of Oprah. It's a pity she didn't end up talking mroe about her jet set life before she married Andrew.

What I meant was that the first biography is very different to the second and people who already have the aren't going to get the second one if it is going over the same ground but with different stories now. Like her parents going from great to abusive which won't bode well for her. Because she either lied then or is lying now when they can no longer defend themselves. Also it seems she always misses the negative parts like how did she get back into so much dept and does she even really talk about the cash for access or does she just say she was a victim and say what she is saying on Oprah anyway. People may feel they don't need to buy it when she is just repeating the stories already on Oprah and in the newspapers. It doesn't sound like it is doing very well and I don't see it doing well anywhere else especially the UK.

The Time interview, IMO, exposed the Sarah Ferguson that I always believed lurked behind the "good-time Duchess" facade. She was never egalitarian minded like Diana; after Diana married, she told friends, "Don't call me ma'am, call me "Duch" or Diana" while Sarah insisted on the protocol of YRH followed by ma'am. Similarly, she wore gloves almost constantly while Diana remained bare-handed. This is an arrogant woman who feels entitled to a luxe life based on a disastrous marriage where she did everything possible to bring shame on a Royal Family that had warmly embraced her in the beginning. (Perhaps the D of E's hard line on Sarah comes from being mistaken in his early judgement?)

So... it makes sense to me that not many are interested in her current book. The television series has some schadenfreude pleasures when viewing it, but watching something for free on telly is quite different from paying for a hardcover book that most realise is another attempt by Sarah to cry victim and insist that, once again - she is a reformed character. This woman has had more reincarnations than any public figure I can bring to mind, past or present; every time one turns around, she's mastered this or that problem only to slide right back in time for the next news cycle.

I feel sorry for her daughters; they looked SO uncomfortable speaking on the OWN programme and the new Vanity Fair article makes plain how embarrassed Beatrice felt over the cash for access debacle. (One would have some respect for Sarah if she owned up to what she did instead of playing word-games in interviews and denying facts that we have all seen with our own eyes, such as picking up the satchel filled with money.)

She has lied too many times. Either this biography or the previous one told the truth, but not both. One wonders what Andrew is doing with her still. Is he exercising damage control by attempting to have some rein over her actions or is the reason more murky? I expect we'll never know the answer to that question.

It is sad to see ANY woman still looking for a "prince charming", if you'll pardon the pun, to rescue her at age fifty-one. However much she denies it, both the television series and the book give the very strong impression she would like nothing better than to remarry Prince Andrew. Some of her statements sound like she is just begging him for "another chance", despite all her denials.

I'm sorry if this post seems unduly harsh. But by putting herself so squarely in the public eye, she invites scrutiny and judgement. I thought one of the most telling answers the York Princesses gave on the "Oprah" series was the categorical denial of ever viewing the cash for access tape. Maybe they just don't want to face an undeniable truth? It also says much that it was Beatrice who was informed of the News of the World's sting; at twenty-one, she is the one mothering Sarah, who nonetheless keeps prattling on about what a fantastic mother she is.

Enough already! Since she won't beat a dignified retreat into private life, she should not reap any rewards for her deeds. I hope very, very few will purchase anything the "Duchess" produces. Maybe pound and dollar signs are all she understands. If this series and the book are unsuccessful, maybe we will hear much less out of her.

One can hope, anyway.

Again, I apologise for such a blunt assessment but it has been over twenty years since the Steve Wyatt debacle and she still hasn't learned a thing. I hope Prince Philip lives long enough to ensure she is never taken back into the fold. At some point, all the whinging and whining need to stop. Or at least we need to stop listening to it.

Only my opinion, and I mean to offend no one, as Diarist says. But after that Time interview, I just needed to state my thoughts plainly and without sugar-coating.

It is sad to see ANY woman still looking for a "prince charming", if you'll pardon the pun, to rescue her at age fifty-one. However much she denies it, both the television series and the book give the very strong impression she would like nothing better than to remarry Prince Andrew. Some of her statements sound like she is just begging him for "another chance", despite all her denials.

Agreed that was my impression also. Especially in the VF article where it says Sarah encouraged Andrew to marry Amanda the woman he was in love with a while back. Because Sarah thought she was on her way to this totally fab life here in the U.S. When things did things changed for Sarah & she had gone though all of her money and credit she went sniffing around Andrew again. I will go one further she probaly used the I am the mother of your children angle to enlists his help. That's just my opinon but when some people are desprite sometimes they try damn near anything. Around that time it was after Andrew and Amanda had split because she did not want to give up her career for a royal life. Which although it may have been painful for him it was the best thing she could have done for the both of them since it was the honest thing to do.

Watching the little bit of her show last Sunday I got the impression that yes she was asking Andrew for another chance even though she says they are not going to remarry. We all know if he did suggest they remarry she would jump at the chance. I would hope that he is not waiting for his father to die to remarry her. Sarah has caused to much negative attenion on the the BRF that her chances of getting back in are just blown to hell and that would not change under the Queen or Charles even though Charles was able to marry his former mistress it seems that was an easier pill for people to swallow given the amount of time that had passed since Diana's passing and her divorice from Charles. I guess Andrew maybe smarter than I gave him credit for maybe since he hasn't remarried her maybe he can see right though her and knows who she really is. I just hope he will finally get tired of how weak his supporting her makes him look & the strain it puts on his relationship with family and finally ask her to leave his house now while she has a little bit of money from her venture with Oprah. When she has to do it by herself she will find herself........Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Put the 3 threads concerning Sarah Fergusson on the Royal Forums together and you have an interesting Novel !

Watching the little bit of her show last Sunday I got the impression that yes she was asking Andrew for another chance even though she says they are not going to remarry. We all know if he did suggest they remarry she would jump at the chance. I would hope that he is not waiting for his father to die to remarry her. Sarah has caused to much negative attenion on the the BRF that her chances of getting back in are just blown to hell and that would not change under the Queen or Charles even though Charles was able to marry his former mistress it seems that was an easier pill for people to swallow given the amount of time that had passed since Diana's passing and her divorice from Charles. I guess Andrew maybe smarter than I gave him credit for maybe since he hasn't remarried her maybe he can see right though her and knows who she really is. I just hope he will finally get tired of how weak his supporting her makes him look & the strain it puts on his relationship with family and finally ask her to leave his house now while she has a little bit of money from her venture with Oprah. When she has to do it by herself she will find herself........Just my thoughts.

My impression is that Andrew does realize that Sarah would be unsuitable as a royal wife.. I think Andrew takes a lot of pride in his royal status, as well as in his trade ambassador job...even to the point of arrogance at times. I remember an interview with him where he talked about his "pedigree" opening doors across the globe. And the Vanity Fair article suggests that Andrew doesn't want to remarry Sarah because he knows her weaknesses.

But...I think in private, Andrew really is attached to Sarah - he bent over backwards to help clear her debts, he still lets her live there, and when Beatrice was asked about her parents' relationship at the time of Andrew's 50th birthday, she said "they are the best of friends." At this point, I think Andrew must know as well as anyone that Sarah has blown her chances of re-entering the royal family "to hell". The problem is that he still supports her privately, and Sarah can't seem to tell the difference between his public and private support...

Actually, Sarah's reasoning doesn't make sense (no surprise here!) She says often enough that she doesn't think the royal family would want her back, but she's clearly fishing for a remarriage with Andrew. I just don't know what she expects: does she think Andrew will remarry her against the wishes of his whole family?

Also, I'm just curious...how would Sarah's financial status change if (by some wild combination of events) she managed to remarry Andrew? How much income would she have/did she have when married to Andrew (I'm sure Diarist has answered this elsewhere, but maybe it can be answered again? :))

Also, I'm just curious...how would Sarah's financial status change if (by some wild combination of events) she managed to remarry Andrew? How much income would she have/did she have when married to Andrew (I'm sure Diarist has answered this elsewhere, but maybe it can be answered again? :))

It wouldn't be huge but she'd be taken care of. If anything the family would be able o control her, or at least you'd hope. She'd have a massive amount of restrictions put on her but she'd enjoy the lifestyle, basically making up for the lack of ridiculous wealth she's been chasing for the perks of royal life again.

I'll take a run at this.

When married to Andrew, she shared his Civil List allowance, which was increased at their marriage. Her expenses were met by the Household, her foreign travel paid for by the government sponsoring the travel, and her personal expenses met by Andrew. She spent like she was married to Charles, and she ended her marriage in multi-million pound debt.

Based on the experience of the Countess of Wessex and the recent (today!) quash on Zara Phillips's intended sale of wedding pics to "Hello," it's my considered opinion that upon any theoretical re-entry of Sarah Ferguson into the BRF would be accompanied by:

1. A complete cessation of all paid outside work: engagement and speaking fees, paid endorsements. A possible exception would be book residuals;

2. An end to any promotion of any prior books or publications;

3. A strict schedule of speaking engagements which were vetted and approved by the Palace, with no other engagements available;

4. Complete financial disclosure and reporting to appointed individuals, with no independent debt incurrence and rigid monitoring of expenditures, cash inflow and outflow, and credit sources.

I would also say that it could be likely that she would be compelled to receive regular psychiatric appointments and be required to take any relevant medications as prescribed; I would also go so far as to say that she would be subject to regular alcohol and drug screening.

In return for this, she would receive housing and all relevant household expenditures met, and in a style befitting an HRH. She would receive access to the usual accoutrements of Royalty, including such pieces of jewelry on loan or given outrights as HM the Queen/King Charles III/King William deems appropriate.

It would be a heavy price to pay but I see few if any other options for her.

Quite honestly, I think this scenario is where she will end up, but without remarriage. So she would be "taken care of" physically, financially and practically, but with neither the duties of a member of the BRF, nor the titles/styles such as HRH. Since she hungers for that so desperately, she may refuse to see the advantages of being "taken care of" otherwise.

I would like, please, to add a bit of background information, which I think I had better do on the 'Options for Sarah' thread as what I am going to say is not really current event related, and I don't want to be accused by a mod of taking the thread off topic:

Alex

Although I agree with the rest of your post, Aliza, I thought that I might say something about the gloves. When Sarah and Andrew were on tour, she was constantly shaking hands; the gloves were to keep her hands from getting red and sore. Apparently she has sensitive skin, which isn't unusual at all for a red-head. Diana wore gloves to Royal Ascot and Trooping the Colour when she was engaged. It was only after her marriage that she stopped wearing them except in cold weather. Another thing to keep in mind is that, in North American ettiquette, a lady doesn't take off her gloves to shake hands.

Similarly, she wore gloves almost constantly while Diana remained bare-handed.

Last edited:
Tatler Magazine dealt pretty thoroughly with Sarah's failure to remove her gloves - all royals could claim delicate skin - having had the honour of shaking various non-gloved hands of Royal Ladies I can honestly say that I was amazed at how soft they all were - which I put down to the fact that they don't have to perform the sort of household and manual work tasks that the rest of us do.......... Anyway, Tatler felt that Sarah was actually donning gloves to avoid close contact with 'the great unwashed' - the article noted that Sarah 'might be a touch common [this was at the time when everyone was starting to become weary of her] but didn't like touching the commoners....'

My impression is that Andrew does realize that Sarah would be unsuitable as a royal wife.. I think Andrew takes a lot of pride in his royal status, as well as in his trade ambassador job...even to the point of arrogance at times. I remember an interview with him where he talked about his "pedigree" opening doors across the globe. And the Vanity Fair article suggests that Andrew doesn't want to remarry Sarah because he knows her weaknesses.

But...I think in private, Andrew really is attached to Sarah - he bent over backwards to help clear her debts, he still lets her live there, and when Beatrice was asked about her parents' relationship at the time of Andrew's 50th birthday, she said "they are the best of friends." At this point, I think Andrew must know as well as anyone that Sarah has blown her chances of re-entering the royal family "to hell". The problem is that he still supports her privately, and Sarah can't seem to tell the difference between his public and private support...

Actually, Sarah's reasoning doesn't make sense (no surprise here!) She says often enough that she doesn't think the royal family would want her back, but she's clearly fishing for a remarriage with Andrew. I just don't know what she expects: does she think Andrew will remarry her against the wishes of his whole family?

I must say I truly question the " we are the best of friends angle". Let's be real here. She cheated on him, Has shamed him & his family numerous times, basically tried to sell him on the black market for cash & seems to driven a wedge between him & his family call me crazy but that is not the acts of a " best friend" so with friends like that who needs enemies. I agree that parents should maintain a friendly relationship after a divorce their children are now young women who seem to have their feet firmly on the ground and are about to embark on an adult life of their own free of their parents. I somewhat think once those girls are off on their own he is done so she needs to save her money because this so called friendship is costing him way to much.

What does any of this have to do with Sarah's Current Events?

Its sounds like a retread of Sarah's transgressions.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted going forward. Looks like its time for another clean up.

Well Sarah is not the first (nor will she be the last) to write more than one biography.

I think the issue for Sarah (at least for my standpoint) is the inaccuracies in her stores from book to book (one book its a happy childhood the next book not so happy with demanding and not supportive parents) but more importantly, she has publicized the book so much...is there anything new in there that you can't read in any of the many interviews or television shows. Not so much.

She would have been better off writing a self help book to show how she has progressed with her issues. The problem is she really hasn't.

I agree; by writing another autobiography, she has essentially cannibalized her own prior work.

I went racing today at Ascot [see other thead] and I bumped into two old friends who told me that Sarah is apparently heading off shortly for what was described to me as 'her usual summer luxurious jaunt to the sun'. Andrew and the Princesses are going too....

I know no more details and anyway at this stage I am treating the whole thing as speculation; if it is true, then I am reminded of the novel Vanity Fair' and the chapter entitled ' How to live on nothing a year'........not bad to be contemplating a luxury holiday when you are apparently penniless......

Alex

Great tidbit, Diarist. Keep 'em coming. Speculation is fun.

I went racing today at Ascot [see other thead] and I bumped into two old friends who told me that Sarah is apparently heading off shortly for what was described to me as 'her usual summer luxurious jaunt to the sun'. Andrew and the Princesses are going too....

I know no more details and anyway at this stage I am treating the whole thing as speculation; if it is true, then I am reminded of the novel Vanity Fair' and the chapter entitled ' How to live on nothing a year'........not bad to be contemplating a luxury holiday when you are apparently penniless......

Alex

I have always loved that chapter title, and yes, Sarah does seem to be the epitome of that statement. :lol:

It amazes me how someone who says she has nothing is able to continue with the lifestyle that caused the problems in the first place. No doubt Andrew and the girls are paying but she would have expenses. This sort of thing doesn't help people like her or believe her. So far I haven't seen any changes from her guess the Oprah show didn't work so well except for lining her pockets. That is a great title and it could have been written for Sarah!

It amazes me how someone who says she has nothing is able to continue with the lifestyle that caused the problems in the first place. No doubt Andrew and the girls are paying but she would have expenses. This sort of thing doesn't help people like her or believe her. So far I haven't seen any changes from her guess the Oprah show didn't work so well except for lining her pockets. That is a great title and it could have been written for Sarah!

Well, of course the Oprah show couldn't work for Sarah.:bang:
That would prevent her from participating in another future project to showcase her desire to remarry Andrew and to whinge and whine about how all the terrible decisions SHE has made are "not" her fault!:ROFLMAO:

You and Alex are SO right about that title, though.:flowers:

What expenses? Andrew would pay for everything aside form whatever souvenirs she might want to buy. Anyone else getting the scent of a big, quickly burning, pile of money? Smells like.... $300,000. :whistling:

I was thinking of new outfits for the holiday things like that. I don't really think Sarah needs an excuse to spend money and I doubt there would be much of Oprah's left it was several months ago she would have got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom