Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
" To get the girls dressed, and to go as a family"- Your daughters are grown women, for heaven's sake! They can dress themselves!
" I really love that Diana and I weren't there." Excuse me?!:bang:

What I really came to dislike on Sarah is the fact how she constantly refers to Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie and herself as a "family" when she divorced Andrew and has ignored all the rules that come from being the third family in the country (after the queen and Charles). All the time she wants to eat her
cake and still have it.

And I pity the York-family. They truly are the victims of Sarah. Okay, she was not invited. But did she have to talk to them all morning on the phone and souring their joy as well? I vividly can imagine how they all groaned when the phone rang.... It's Mom again. Shall we say we are already on our way? No, we can't. She'll see it on the telly, know we lied and will cry for a fortnight. Better to talk to her now.

Buh.

"I sort of love the feeling that - Diana and I both weren't there - but I'm here to say how proud she would have been."

Nobody would have guessed that Diana had been proud, does Sarah honestly think the world needs her statement on television to find out? And the first part of the statement :bang: only a delusional person can find such a wording.

Kataryn And I pity the York-family. They truly are the victims of Sarah. Okay, she was not invited. But did she have to talk to them all morning on the phone and souring their joy as well? I vividly can imagine how they all groaned when the phone rang.... It's Mom again. Shall we say we are already on our way? No, we can't. She'll see it on the telly, know we lied and will cry for a fortnight. Better to talk to her now.

Altough I thought this was funny I am not sure how delusional the rest of the York family acutally is. I wouldnt be surprised if they felt sorry for their mother and tried to make her part of something she hasnt belonged to for years.

I found a video clip of the interview here. When Sarah talks about Diana, this is how the full sentence sounded (to me): "I sort of love the feeling that - Diana and I both weren't there - but I'm here to say how proud she would have been." In other words I think Sarah was saying, "I love the fact that even though Diana and I both weren't there in person, I'm at least here to watch the wedding on TV and see how proud her boys would have made her." I think (hope?) that's what she meant.

I take her comment to mean...even though diana wasnt there...she would have been proud of william. I honestly think "Diana and I both weren't there" is kind of like an aside and not part of the main subject of the sentence. I have followed sarah for years and i have found that she doesnt always get the words out in the order or text they were meant to be. sort of hoof-in-mouth disease.

Shame on Oprah for making Sarah exploit her connection to the BRF, and shame on Sarah for making William & Kate's wedding ALL ABOUT HER! Why is she incapable of bowing out gracefully?

I wonder if the strange comment: ""Because I wanted to be there with my girls ... to be getting them dressed.. " means that if she had been there, both would have dressed differently? (And if this would have been better for the RF as her daughters dresses were highly mocked - think of David Starkey?) :D

I think that the 2 contributors above (bethaliz and Duke of marmalade) make a very convincing point in terms of the interpretation of the Diana comment - it's amazing how different things can sound when transcribed word for word without an adequate sense for the rhythms of spoken language. I wouldn't be surprised if my Mail writer in question rather welcomed this dangerous ambiguity when it happened to come out this way.

So that's the controversy settled, and as for the rest of the quoted interview, I can't see how Sarah can be reproached for any of it. After all, she doesn't use the word "snub" - that was the headline writer. She doesn't complain about the injustice of not being invited - in fact, she shows an understanding of the decision, due to the mistakes she's made (which she admits to).

Rather than complaining, she simply admits, with her usual honesty, that it was a very difficult day for her - of course it was, and I feel for her. Much as I enjoyed the wedding, I couldn't help think of Sarah not being there, and how tough that must be for her to cope with. And Thailand? Surely we can't begrudge her the chance to get away, with so many memories and regrets and strong emotions that would have been whirling through her mind on the day. As for the issue of payment - she is no longer in debt and is earning money again, for example from the "Finding Sarah" show and from the Oprah interview itself.

When the whole country was celebrating, poor Sarah was miserable and alone and full of regrets and self-reproach. But she was still able to rise above her problems and wish the best to William and Kate, and she has been remarkably brave and open in facing up to all this inner turmoil in the Oprah interview.

Last edited:
I have a love hate relaionship with Lady O. I love and respect her as a woman of color. No matter what anyone says she has worked hard and is very smart to be where she is today (my cousin thinks it's illuminati success and I am not entirely discounting this theory!). And she does give back. What I don't like about Oprah is her self-involvement, pushiness about her spirituality and her calling herself a Christian when not one thing that has come out of her mouth since she has become Lady O has been very Christian imo. Considering how many people worship at the alter of her "greatness" (which I find both amazing and repulsive at the same time) her statements regarding the topic are misleading and could get Christians in trouble who start thinking her way.

With all that beng said, I am not gonna sit there and lambast Oprah for doing her JOB. Oprah is supposed to do these things and she has never been above hitting below the belt. I am not surprised. Oprah does not make people victims. It's their choice to fall for her line of questioning. Brad Pitt did a good job of holding his own after the whole Brannifer scandal. It's all about how you want to be perceived.

IMO Sarah went to Oprab with the intentions of once again exploiting her private life and Oprah certainly looking to go out with a bang is going to CASH in on the ratings and help her employee promote her show. She is a business woman from where I sit and I am not gonna knock her hustle since Sarah should know better and should just give it up already.

I think that after all the scandals she caused Sarah should keep a low profile.

I totally agree this interview is yet another episode in Sarah horror show, rominet09 your statement is simple but accurate well put. IMO

FergieFan said:
She doesn't complain about the injustice of not being invited - in fact, she shows an understanding of the decision, due to the mistakes she's made (which she admits to).

I've heard Sarah apologize for her mistakes before and to my ears the apologies do not sound sincere, also she keeps not learning from them so I'm convinced she really doesn't understand how wrong they were- IMO the whole interview was her '' complaining of the injustice'' saying I wanted to see the girls get ready was just that

FergieFan said:
Rather than complaining, she simply admits, with her usual honesty, that it was a very difficult day for her - of course it was, and I feel for her.

Here's what I don't get. Why was it soooo hard for Sarah? She is the ex- aunt of the boys not their mother, she's not missing her childrens wedding. I think it's hard for her bc she feels left out but duh she's not a family member....I just don't understand why plp think she is the victim here bc she didn't go .....

FergieFan said:
When the whole country was celebrating, poor Sarah was miserable and alone and full of regrets and self-reproach.

She does that to herself. She could have celebrated at home or with Andrew privately later ....or even had a nice vacation in Thailand, why ruin that sitting around feeling sorry for yourself bc no one is paying attention to you? (which is exactly what I believe she was really missing) Sarah knows how to play victim well and continues to showcase that as her role....

Kataryn said:
I vividly can imagine how they all groaned when the phone rang.... It's Mom again. Shall we say we are already on our way? No, we can't. She'll see it on the telly, know we lied and will cry for a fortnight. Better to talk to her now.

My mom is the exact same why as Sarah and I've actually had a conversation very much like this with my husband - if my mom doesn't get enough attention she will blame you for her misery and drag you into her victim role....

Last edited:
I am probably one of the few people in the States who has never been a fan of Oprah and never will. Oprah, like Sarah, is totally self-involved and impressed with herself. I have no doubt that Oprah set this up for the ratings and knows the questions to ask of Sarah because . . . Sarah will be Sarah. It is too comical, like leading a lamb to the slaughter.

Here, Here, Vasillisos! Oprah is in trouble with her new network and she would do anything to up the ratings. I'm not an expert on Oprah as I'm STILL WORKING when her show is on in Atlanta.

I've never seen what type of bankruptcy Sarah filed in the U.S., if any. If she filed a certain type, all her debts would have been legally cancelled. Anyone know?

As posted, in part, by MRSJ: "...she's not missing her childrens wedding."

As B & E are nearing marriageable age, and Sarah is such a pariah to the RF, does anyone think that perhaps the girls are being pushed out so they won't have royal weddings. It would be unlikely that Sarah would not be invited to their weddings. Oh my, the Devil's Advocate is lurking...

Last edited:
Here's what I don't get. Why was it soooo hard for Sarah? She is the ex- aunt of the boys not their mother, she's not missing her childrens wedding. I think it's hard for her bc she feels left out but duh she's not a family member....I just don't understand why plp think she is the victim here bc she didn't go .....

She does that to herself. She could have celebrated at home or with Andrew privately later ....or even had a nice vacation in Thailand, why ruin that sitting around feeling sorry for yourself bc no one is paying attention to you? (which is exactly what I believe she was really missing) Sarah knows how to play victim well and continues to showcase that as her role....

I agree with you.

1) Sarah is the ex-aunt of the groom. I can't understand why she needed to be invited. I can't see Mark Phillips or Lord Snowdon talking to the media and talking about how diffcult it is for them not to be invited.

2) As regards her wanting to help her daughters dress, she could well have done that. She could well have been with the girl's at B's apartment in St James', and watched the wedding on the telly there.

3) As regards comments about the 4 of them being a "unit", thats great, but they would certainly have been more of a unit if they she was still married to Andrew.

4) Thailand - If you choose to hide at the other side of the world, do you have to rub it in the faces of all your creditors who lost money, or all the people who lost their jobs becuase of your financial mismanagement?

5) Why bring Diana into the conversation, other than to draw attention to yourself? How different is she from all the other people who have tried to cash in on Diana's memory?

Last edited:
Rania of Jordon speaks about issues that matter. Its not the same as a woman who uses her tenuous connection to royalty to make a living.

I watched Rania on Oprah..and she spent much of the interview talking trivia because Oprah and much of her audience wouldn't have it any other way, unfortunately.

For example, why do I care that "my husband prides himself on making the perfect steak" and how much fun Oprah would have if she dropped in on the Jordanian Royals at their vacation palace at Aqaba?? :sad:

ETA: I completely agree with rmay that Oprah brings out the worst in Sarah, goads and encourages her self-pity, etc. Once Oprah even asked Sarah if she and Andrew still sleep together, and was very persistent about it. Thank goodness that FOR ONCE Sarah showed good judgement and refused to answer!

Last edited:
I take her comment to mean...even though diana wasnt there...she would have been proud of william. I honestly think "Diana and I both weren't there" is kind of like an aside and not part of the main subject of the sentence. I have followed sarah for years and i have found that she doesnt always get the words out in the order or text they were meant to be. sort of hoof-in-mouth disease.

That's what I was trying to imply with the dashes between the phrase "Diana and I both weren't there." It sounded like an aside, and yes, Sarah tends to use a lot of digressions and asides when she talks.

I have a love hate relaionship with Lady O. I love and respect her as a woman of color. No matter what anyone says she has worked hard and is very smart to be where she is today (my cousin thinks it's illuminati success and I am not entirely discounting this theory!). And she does give back. What I don't like about Oprah is her self-involvement, pushiness about her spirituality and her calling herself a Christian when not one thing that has come out of her mouth since she has become Lady O has been very Christian imo. Considering how many people worship at the alter of her "greatness" (which I find both amazing and repulsive at the same time) her statements regarding the topic are misleading and could get Christians in trouble who start thinking her way.

With all that beng said, I am not gonna sit there and lambast Oprah for doing her JOB. Oprah is supposed to do these things and she has never been above hitting below the belt. I am not surprised. Oprah does not make people victims. It's their choice to fall for her line of questioning. Brad Pitt did a good job of holding his own after the whole Brannifer scandal. It's all about how you want to be perceived.

I have similar problems with Oprah, but I agree she doesn't technically "make" anyone a victim. She plays into the feelings of people who already feel sorry for themselves. She definitely is encouraging Sarah's self-involvement, and that's what I don't like. As people have mentioned here, Sarah is on a slippery slope from being seen as a "survivor" who overcame her mistakes, to a permanent disaster who's notorious for never learning.

As B & E are nearing marriageable age, and Sarah is such a pariah to the RF, does anyone think that perhaps the girls are being pushed out so they won't have royal weddings. It would be unlikely that Sarah would not be invited to their weddings. Oh my, the Devil's Advocate is lurking...

The weddings of the York girls will have members of the royal family present, but they will not be events like the wedding if William and Catherine. They will be much smaller in scale.

I really do not think the "girls are being pushed out" for the reasons you are suggesting - it is just that there really are no meaningful roles for them in the medium term.

I believe that Lord Snowdon did attend Charles, Andrew and Edwards wedding. But the key difference is that I think Tony was more of a presence in the lives of this generation of Windsor men than Sarah with William and Harry. Margaret and Tony divorced when they were in the mid to late teens. Thus they were still around him at family events and the like. After their divorce, Tony continued to take photos of the BRF.

Its a lot different than divorcing when your nephews haven't reached their teenage years and NOT seeing them at all afterwards. I know Mark Phillips was at Davina Windsor's wedding but that was because he is her godfather. One would assuem that he continued to have a relationship with her after he and Anne divorced.

At the end of the day its all about relationships...Sarah does not have a relationship with William and Harry. That could be her fault (as a result of her actions), the boys fault (they feel she brings unnecessary scandal to the BRF and they want to distance themselves), or whatever we don't know. What we do know is that Sarah said she hasn't talked to them in years.

I have a hard time believing Sarah is truly upset about not being invited to the wedding, at least not in the sense of being upset because she truly cares for william. Sarah likes attention and she needs money and I think that's what's driving things here more than a genuine feeling of hurt.

I hope her daughters think hard about being a part of this show their mother is doing, and about being a part of this wannabe celebrity lifestyle Sarah seems determined to lead. IMO you can be a part of the core royal family or you can be a reality tv 'celebrity' but you can't be both. Sarah has nothing to lose at this point but the York princesses do.

I've always thought Sarah has a lot of admirable qualities that could have taken her far in life but it's like she's determined to be the worst version of herself she can possibly be.

camelot23ca said:
I've always thought Sarah has a lot of admirable qualities that could have taken her far in life but it's like she's determined to be the worst version of herself she can possibly be.

Well put! I agree~

Last edited by a moderator:
rmay286 said:
That's what I was trying to imply with the dashes between the phrase "Diana and I both weren't there." It sounded like an aside, and yes, Sarah tends to use a lot of digressions and asides when she talks.

I have similar problems with Oprah, but I agree she doesn't technically "make" anyone a victim. She plays into the feelings of people who already feel sorry for themselves. She definitely is encouraging Sarah's self-involvement, and that's what I don't like. As people have mentioned here, Sarah is on a slippery slope from being seen as a "survivor" who overcame her mistakes, to a permanent disaster who's notorious for never learning.

Of course she is encouraging her self-involvement. O practically reinvented the concept :BIGGRIN:! And Sarah at this point is finished. As far as I am concerened she is tiresome but I do like her in general. She just has a personality where stay in a room with her for about an hour and you never will have uttered one word about yourself. Those kinds of people are highly delightful because of their ridiculousness!

Altough I thought this was funny I am not sure how delusional the rest of the York family acutally is. I wouldnt be surprised if they felt sorry for their mother and tried to make her part of something she hasnt belonged to for years.

I don't believe they are delusional about Sarah, I do believe that they are enables of her and the mistakes she keeps making. Remember that comment PA made on his brithday? That Sarah was his 3rd child?
I would rather hope that they would let that 50+ year old child finally GROW UP.

Sarah and Oprah need each other right now. Oprah is hoping for big ratings for her new network, and I'm sure Sarah was well paid for her reality show. It it's a hit, that will bring more television opportunities. At this point, Sarah needs a steady job, and well, what are her qualifications besides being famous? Oprah asked the most sensational questions she could come up with, and Sarah gave her just enough info to keep her and the audience interested. Unless she's willing to sack groceries or clean toilets, this is about as good as it will get careerwise for Fergie. (Yes, I know she has published childrens' books, but what publisher would work with her now?)

Her comment about Diana infuriated me. To link herself with Diana after all these years. . . riding the coattails of a dead person. Stay classy, Sarah. She should've just kept it simple, "Diana would be proud of her children." But no, she had to attach herself to Diana, "Diana and I weren't there."

I do think Sarah is just not a well-spoken person. On her last Oprah appearance, after her "cash for access to Andrew" scandal, I could hardly understand what she was talking about. She could barely put a coherent sentence together. She's like chum in the water to someone like Oprah, who is fishing for the best sound bites!

I don't believe they are delusional about Sarah, I do believe that they are enables of her and the mistakes she keeps making. Remember that comment PA made on his brithday? That Sarah was his 3rd child?
I would rather hope that they would let that 50+ year old child finally GROW UP.

Do you think that Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie see Sarah as an immature woman who won't grow up, but they feel sorry for her so they enable her? That's what some people here seem to be suggesting - eg. saying how annoyed the family must have been by Sarah's calls from Thailand.

Maybe...I mean, they must know her faults...but it seems that Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are quite capable of making their own mistakes (Andrew's friendships, Beatrice and Eugenie's, um, dress sense) without any help from Sarah. It isn't like any of them are paragons of maturity and sound decision-making. I think they basically love Sarah for who she is - faults and all - and don't expect her to change.

Do you think that Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie see Sarah as an immature woman who won't grow up, but they feel sorry for her so they enable her? That's what some people here seem to be suggesting - eg. saying how annoyed the family must have been by Sarah's calls from Thailand.

Maybe...I mean, they must know her faults...but it seems that Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are quite capable of making their own mistakes (Andrew's friendships, Beatrice and Eugenie's, um, dress sense) without any help from Sarah. It isn't like any of them are paragons of maturity and sound decision-making. I think they basically love Sarah for who she is - faults and all - and don't expect her to change.
I give Beatrice and Eugenie a lot of leeway, they are young after all. Sarah knows better and so does Andrew, and as long as he keeps taking her calls when she's all upset over the wedding or other issues and comforts her, he will keep on enabling her. I wonder if PA doesn't have insecurity issues as well. Somehow this makes him feel needed? What say you rmay?

No matter what the rest of the world may think of Sarah, to Psses B & E she is their mother. And I am sure they love her unconditionally and accept her with all her shortcomings. It must be very difficult for them. I think people can tend to forget all this.

I give Beatrice and Eugenie a lot of leeway, they are young after all. Sarah knows better and so does Andrew, and as long as he keeps taking her calls when she's all upset over the wedding or other issues and comforts her, he will keep on enabling her. I wonder if PA doesn't have insecurity issues as well. Somehow this makes him feel needed? What say you rmay?

Russo, I for one agree with you. Prince Andrew grew up with people employed to look after his every whim. I think he likes the idea of Sarah and his daughter needing him and depending on him. He has to take charge and that makes him feel wanted and important.
Such a wise head you have Russo.

On another note everyone seems to be assuming Sarah was doing all the ringing on the morning of the wedding, but for all we know it could be Andrew ringing her.

Her comment about Diana infuriated me. To link herself with Diana after all these years. . . riding the coattails of a dead person. Stay classy, Sarah. She should've just kept it simple, "Diana would be proud of her children." But no, she had to attach herself to Diana, "Diana and I weren't there."

I thought the same thing. For someone who was reported to make sure, after her divorce, that she always spoke very well of the RF, i.e. the Queen and Prince Andrew, I think she's put her foot in it here

Do we know for sure if the kids will be on there or not?

Last edited:

Yes, I think Andrew likes to feel needed. But is that a sign of insecurity, or a just a normal human need? We want to be needed by people, because we need them, too. I think that's how real friendships work, and we know Andrew and Sarah are friends. Now if Andrew really did see Sarah as an immature child, he could step in and lecture her about her misbehaviour like a parent. But deep down I think Andrew and Sarah's relationship is pretty mutual. He may see her immature qualities, but he needs her, too, so he will never say or do anything that could alienate her from him. He takes her calls...because he wants to.

Now that being said, since Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie all need Sarah, they will never be the ones to step in and tell her that she needs to change. People like Oprah won't either (I think they're the true enablers). So who will?

Last edited:
They (Sarah and Andrew) are co-dependent on one another and-I think-at this point it has very little to do with love but need. I am not saying the love is not there but I am saying that this is not what's driving it anymore.

I think if all we can say about these two young girls is that their fashion sense leaves a lot to be desired they are doing way better
than one would think with a family like that.

I think Andrew and Sarah are good people who make bad choices. We have all been there before at one time or another. The only difference is Sarah has not seemed to learned a single thing from these mistakes at all and the fact that she is getting on national television yet again to tell people she messed up and is sorry is just not going to sit well those of us who very much appreciate the discretion and dignity the firm tries to maintain in erroneous situations.

There was a time where I really liked Sarah and felt pity for her when her marriage broke up. But I do not pity anymore. Why doesn't she live quietly? Why is she making so much fuss about herself? Speaking trivia on TV on a trivia show is so unregal.

Sorry but both Andrew and Sarah are people I would respect. Hopefully their girls will do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom