Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New details released about Sarah's forthcoming TV show, "Finding Sarah":

Breaking News - Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York Shares Her Personal Struggle to Rebuild Her Life in the New OWN Series - "Finding Sarah" - Premiering June 12 | TheFutonCritic.com

It sounds very interesting. Obviously, a potential problem with a show like this is balancing the aim of getting entertaining TV with the aim of doing something that will genuinely help her. Personally, I'm rather sceptical about the shaman (!), but most of it seems reasonable. It’ll be fascinating to watch and I hope it does have a beneficial long-term impact on Sarah’s life.

A shaman? Oh, goodness.

I think I've already described my views on this show. I think it will be gratuitous entertainment for the masses, who like celebrity reality shows; money for Oprah; and...unhelpful publicity for Sarah. :sad:

It doesn't make me too upset in the long run, though, because for a while I've had some ideas of what Sarah could do with her life. I don't think she'll end up doing anything more productive, though, until she realizes that the fountain of money and publicity that once sprung from being "Duchess of York" has dried up for good.

Breaking News - Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York Shares Her Personal Struggle to Rebuild Her Life in the New OWN Series - "Finding Sarah" - Premiering June 12 | TheFutonCritic.com

It sounds very interesting. Obviously, a potential problem with a show like this is balancing the aim of getting entertaining TV with the aim of doing something that will genuinely help her. Personally, I'm rather sceptical about the shaman (!), but most of it seems reasonable. It’ll be fascinating to watch and I hope it does have a beneficial long-term impact on Sarah’s life.

I just hope the show doesn't bring another barage of bad press, but it could make things even worse for her. Any ideas what the "unexpected news that threatens to bring back her self destructive behaviour" might be?

It doesn't make me too upset in the long run, though, because for a while I've had some ideas of what Sarah could do with her life. I don't think she'll end up doing anything more productive, though, until she realizes that the fountain of money and publicity that once sprung from being "Duchess of York" has dried up for good.

You wonder if the royal wedding will have a positive or negative on Sarah. Kate is a new Duchess and she might overshadow Sarah but, especially when they visit Canada in the summer, it might kick up the interest enough that Sarah might sneak back into the spotlight.

I just hope the show doesn't bring another barage of bad press, but it could make things even worse for her. Any ideas what the "unexpected news that threatens to bring back her self destructive behaviour" might be?

I think it's more press than anything else. As these things have already been filmed any big things would've already been discussed on this board.

I think it's more press than anything else. As these things have already been filmed any big things would've already been discussed on this board.

My thoughts on the unexpected news would have been when it all hit the fan about Andrew's friend Epstein helping to resolve some of Sarah's financial burden. That whole episode probably hit while they were still filming this 6 part series.

I would agree that the Epstein controversy is likely to be the "unexpected news" that was mentioned.

As for silver_bic's point of whether the royal wedding and the new Duchess of Cambridge will be a positive or a negative for Sarah - it think it will be more positive than otherwise. The publicity means that British Royalty will be at the forefront of news and popular culture, especially in North America, which will be useful for Sarah in terms of marketing her future projects (books, TV, public speaking, etc.) in these territories, which is where she has made her money in the past.

I hope the same but don't expect it. The press don't know how to write a positive story about the Yorks and thus no matter what these shows are like they will get panned - simply because the press enjoy destroying her and her entire family.

I hope the same but don't expect it. The press don't know how to write a positive story about the Yorks and thus no matter what these shows are like they will get panned - simply because the press enjoy destroying her and her entire family.

Did you read what David Starkey said about Beatrice and Eugenie at the Royal wedding? He said that they having bad blood and bad breeding is the reason why they appeared to be so vulgar, especially when compared with the "poised" family of the bride. I don't like Sarah much and I find that she is much to flamboyant for her own good, but that is uncalled for both the York girls and their mother.

Did you read what David Starkey said about Beatrice and Eugenie at the Royal wedding? He said that they having bad blood and bad breeding is the reason why they appeared to be so vulgar, especially when compared with the "poised" family of the bride. I don't like Sarah much and I find that she is much to flamboyant for her own good, but that is uncalled for both the York girls and their mother.
Sorry,but when did David Starkey say this?

Sorry,but when did David Starkey say this?

Royal wedding: Kate Middleton created her own dress, admits designer Sarah Burton - Telegraph

At the bottom of this article he says:

Meanwhile, David Starkey, the historian, is more concerned with the curious outfits worn by the Duke and Duchess of York’s daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at the royal wedding.
“Beatrice and Eugenie suggest by their look bad blood and bad breeding,” says Starkey, unkindly. “You looked at them and they looked like the sort of demi-monde of Paris just before the First World War.”
Speaking at the private view of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters exhibition, at the Mall Galleries, he adds: “It was everything about them: the demeanour, the vulgarity.
“Their whole behaviour was 'look at me’. I wonder if it’s mummy’s influence. By contrast, the Middleton family was so elegant, so poised.”

What an absolutely disgraceful piece of snobbery! And with no logical consistency – he compares the York girls’ “vulgarity” with the Middletons’ “poise” and “elegance”, so where, even by the logic of the ultra-snob, does “blood” come into it? After all, according to that kind of logic, the Princesses’ “blood” is far superior to that of the Middletons, even on Sarah’s side, since she has noble ancestors. (Please note that I don’t personally subscribe to such notions – I’m just trying to point out the ridiculous inconsistency of Starkey’s position!).

As for breeding - personally, I think that most fair-minded people, even those critical of Sarah, would agree that she’s done a great job bringing up her daughters (and Andrew too of course). Beatrice and Eugenie have, in some peoples’ opinion, made a mistake in the fashion department. It hardly justifies cruel, vindictive comments like these.

As iluvbertie says above, the press “enjoy destroying [Sarah] and her entire family”. You expect such behaviour from the gutter press, not from a highly educated professor of history who should know better. In the past I’ve enjoyed his historical documentaries, but next time there’s one on, I certainly won’t be watching. What an utterly vile individual!

This isn't by far the worst thing he's ever said. This man is rude 24/7 I can't stand him.

I enjoy David Starkey as a historian, but I cringed watching him comment on the royal wedding. Came off as a pompous twit and then some. :bang:

He's always been a pompous twit, who I think believes after all his ensightful programs on the royals, he should be allowed to become one. ;)

I would also like to add my disgust at David Sharkey's comments.
Neither Sarah or her daughters deserve such insults. I think it says a lot more about the person making those comments than Sarah or the girls.

Mr. Starkey is a cretin and full of himself, always have been. Don't worry.:p

This is going to be GREEEEAT!!!! I know it. We all have to watch that TV show, right??:w00t:

Yeah, you're right, no point getting annoyed about it - who cares what he thinks?

And yes, I am hugely excited by the show! I don't think it's shown in the UK where I'm based, but lucky I've a friend, another fan, in the US who'll send me a recording. 6 hours of pure Sarah will be heaven to me, although considering the subject matter, it'll be an emotional rollercoaster too, and perhaps at times it may be quite hard to bear seeing her unhappy and upset (that was certainly what I felt on seeing the Oprah interview). But I do believe this can be a positive experience to help her get her life back on track, and I hope that's what we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe, BUT.
He only said what has been said before, or at least intimated.

I remember comments about possible marriages for the York girls, and how the top echelon might be hesitant, royal heritage or not. They can expect to marry money, but it's questionable if they can marry blue blood.

That whole (Shame about the mother!) comment didn't come out of the air.

I agree that it's both unfair and unkind, and the girls have done nothing to deserve it, but perception can be a problem. Time will tell.

Let's get back on topic...this thread isn't about the York Princesses fashions, what David Starkey thinks about them or their martial prospects.

What an absolutely disgraceful piece of snobbery! And with no logical consistency – he compares the York girls’ “vulgarity” with the Middletons’ “poise” and “elegance”, so where, even by the logic of the ultra-snob, does “blood” come into it? After all, according to that kind of logic, the Princesses’ “blood” is far superior to that of the Middletons, even on Sarah’s side, since she has noble ancestors. (Please note that I don’t personally subscribe to such notions – I’m just trying to point out the ridiculous inconsistency of Starkey’s position!).

As for breeding - personally, I think that most fair-minded people, even those critical of Sarah, would agree that she’s done a great job bringing up her daughters (and Andrew too of course). Beatrice and Eugenie have, in some peoples’ opinion, made a mistake in the fashion department. It hardly justifies cruel, vindictive comments like these.

As iluvbertie says above, the press “enjoy destroying [Sarah] and her entire family”. You expect such behaviour from the gutter press, not from a highly educated professor of history who should know better. In the past I’ve enjoyed his historical documentaries, but next time there’s one on, I certainly won’t be watching. What an utterly vile individual!

Meanwhile, David Starkey, the historian, is more concerned with the curious outfits worn by the Duke and Duchess of York’s daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at the royal wedding.
“Beatrice and Eugenie suggest by their look bad blood and bad breeding,” says Starkey, unkindly. “You looked at them and they looked like the sort of demi-monde of Paris just before the First World War.”
Speaking at the private view of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters exhibition, at the Mall Galleries, he adds: “It was everything about them: the demeanour, the vulgarity.
“Their whole behaviour was 'look at me’. I wonder if it’s mummy’s influence. By contrast, the Middleton family was so elegant, so poised.”

Beatrice and Eugenie suggest by their look bad blood and bad breeding,” says Starkey, unkindly.

Whilst I am no fan of Starkey, Starkey did not suggest B&E had bad blood or breeding, merely that their look suggested so - clearly a not so subtle difference. Lets not just get carried away here!

I'm really doubtful Sarah's show will do well in terms of ratings.

Many watched the wedding, but ratings dropped precipitously after William and Kate drove off in that car; I read that television executives were disappointed that the follow-up programming didn't maintain interest.

Sarah has been out of the picture for a while now, and i don't think the financial scandal is enough to spike the ratings.

I'd agree that it won't be any kind of ratings blockbuster - after all, it'll be shown a brand new and relatively unknown channel (even with the power of Oprah's name behind it).

But that doesn't matter too much. What's more important for her is that it should bring her back to the attention of her existing fanbase - those who bought her books and products, or went to meet her at Weight-watchers events or signings. If she can become visible again, and show herself in a positive context, to those fans (many of whom I believe feel real loyalty and affection to her), then she hopefully has a market for the next book or the next TV show, and a sustainable income for the future.

Everyone go to OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network).com and see the Duchess of York's trailer for her new show.

Does anybody know how to mail a letter to the Duchess? I believe that she has an office at Buckingham Palace which takes mail for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know how to mail a letter to the Duchess? I believe that she has an office at Buckingham Palace which takes mail for her.

Welcome to the forum hudsonm.

Fergie is sued by lawyers over her £200,000 debts | Mail Online

I've attached an article which was in the DM last year.
It was about possible court proceedings against Sarah, it you scroll down you will see the address used on the official Court document which was served on Sarah. She still stays at Royal Lodge when in the UK according to all reports.
Hope this helps.

Everyone go to OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network).com and see the Duchess of York's trailer for her new show.

Thanks for letting us know about the trailer! As Irish Eyes rightly suggests, you should write to Sarah at Royal Lodge. I've written to her several times at that address for birthdays, Christmas or just letters of support, and I've received some wonderful, personally written responses. So I hope she'll honour you in the same way. I think that the support and encouragement of members of the public means a lot to her, so it's good of you to write to her and she'll appreciate it!

The documentry 'Finding Sarah' airs soon. I doubt it will do much to improve public perception though.

It will be mostly Oprah fans and U.S. daytime televisions fans who watch the show. Even then, it will be people who remember her either from her wedding or from her Weight Watchers campaign. People who watch a lot of Oprah channel and Lifetime channel in the first place will simply leave the television on during Sarah's show and watch bits of it. That will generate some small revenue stream - but Oprah could afford to pay Sarah to make the show even if all it does is break even.

The channel is a lot like running a magazine, it has to have new content and not just advertising and reruns, so they're hard pressed to find interesting documentary material (one can only take just so much "crime that happens to women" docudramas and shows about recovery from various illnesses.

Apparently, finding some other person with royal connections to do a show (who would be recognizable to an American audience) was not possible. When you think about it, who else is there who could do this kind of show? Has to be female, has to be someone known to the baby boomer generation (and hopefully a little beyond that).

It will be mostly Oprah fans and U.S. daytime televisions fans who watch the show. Even then, it will be people who remember her either from her wedding or from her Weight Watchers campaign. People who watch a lot of Oprah channel and Lifetime channel in the first place will simply leave the television on during Sarah's show and watch bits of it. That will generate some small revenue stream - but Oprah could afford to pay Sarah to make the show even if all it does is break even.

The channel is a lot like running a magazine, it has to have new content and not just advertising and reruns, so they're hard pressed to find interesting documentary material (one can only take just so much "crime that happens to women" docudramas and shows about recovery from various illnesses.

Apparently, finding some other person with royal connections to do a show (who would be recognizable to an American audience) was not possible. When you think about it, who else is there who could do this kind of show? Has to be female, has to be someone known to the baby boomer generation (and hopefully a little beyond that).

Doesn't have t be baby boomer I don't think, just interesting. It'd have to be someone with smaller royal connections cause everyone else is too well versed in keeping their mouth shut.

Sarah's the only one with the proper kind of baggage though. I mean Andrew could work, despite being male, but he's a rank and file member of the BRF, they'd tear his head off and jam it on a pike at the top of the Tower of London for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom