Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Her flamboyance isn't helping her image. How does she want to be seen? As a responsible, sensible woman who tries to help others and is a good mother to her daughters? Or as a woman who lives the high life without paying her bills in full? I don't think that people expect her to show up at public events in a nun's habit, but I do think that showing up at high-profile restaurants and so on shows a lack of common sense. Sarah has a lot of gifts that she could share with the world--her speaking talent, her writing abilities, the things she's discovered in world travels and during her time as a Royal Highness--but the impression that people have is of a good-time girl who doesn't care about the people she's let down.

I actually think that people would like to see her in sackcloth and ashes and on the streets - including many here.

Yes I mean that - there are people who would like to see her totally destitute.

As she was close to bankruptcy she obviously has none of her divorce settlement left, nor any of the money she made in the first 12 years after her divorce. She lost it all in the GFC.

Like many others who lost a lot at that time she can only hope to rebuild and she needs to continue to live a relatively high life to keep her name and profile in the public domain so that she is still in demand for speeches etc in order to bring in an income. Her writing might bring in a small amount.

I don't want to see her destitute, I just want her to go away. Live quietly. Grow up.

She has two daughters who are TRH. Is Sarah to live in a cottage with the two princesses and their attendants? Her divorce settlement was not that generous and it's been 15 years.

Her daughters are grown up and will soon be embarking on their own life. They can live at Royal Lodge or in apartments of their own in London. Sarah does not need to live with them or be a part of their official life.

She has to earn a living somehow.

I am sure a nice cottage could be found for her in Lincolnshire away from the maddening crowds and the press, at a not too steep price. Probably Andrew or The Queen would agree to lease it for her if she agreed to go away and not talk again. She could still write her childrens books or historical novels while living there which could give her an adequate income for a quiet life in rural village.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her daughters are grown up and will soon be embarking on their own life. They can live at Royal Lodge or in apartments of their own in London. Sarah does not need to live with them or be a part of their official life.

I am sure a nice cottage could be found for her in Lincolnshire away from the maddening crowds and the press, at a not too steep price. Probably Andrew or The Queen would agree to lease it for her if she agreed to go away and not talk again. She could still write her childrens books or historical novels while living there which could give her an adequate income for a quiet life in rural village.

She wouldn't make much money from simply writing books unless she is also out their promoting them.

They also have to appeal and writing history books simply doesn't make enough money for anyone. They need to do other things e.g. be a lecturer/professor or TV documentary maker. Writers of children's books also need to be promoting these books.

Being an author actually involves being involved with the media.

The other thing is can she really write? I have read some of her stuff but would never pay money to buy it as it simply isn't up to the standard I demand of the books I buy.

I'm not one of them. I'd like to see her making a decent living. I don't mind seeing her promoting herself in order to sell her books or however she earns her living. I do think, however, that she could go to restaurants where the paparazzi aren't known to lie in wait.

I actually think that people would like to see her in sackcloth and ashes and on the streets - including many here.

Yes I mean that - there are people who would like to see her totally destitute.

The other thing is can she really write? I have read some of her stuff but would never pay money to buy it as it simply isn't up to the standard I demand of the books I buy.

Doesn't she get some help from a ghost writer?
(I've always believed she did).

But I agree with you that it's unlikely she could ever make a living as a writer; for one thing, those accusations of plagiarism seemed to put an end to the Budgie books, and I don't think her other ventures have sold well.

Perhaps she could publish a society column in one of the magazines like Town & Country? She does know just about everyone.

Perhpas she could get a job in publishing, a la Jackie Onassis, as she had before her marriage. That would provide a descent income and no need to talk to the press or live in a grand style. Or she could go back to school, even by extenson courses, and prepare herself for a normal working life earning her own money and living her own life out of the public life. The Duchess of Kent was able to become a music teacher in a school in Hull without it being common knowledge, she just became Kate Kent and went about living her life.
If one doesnt want to attract public attention it is quite possible to do so if you dont go places or do things that attract that kind of attention.

I'd like to make a point here in relation to a couple of the things people have been discussing - Sarah's charity work, and the lifestyle that some seenm to find so offensive.
What often escapes attention is how the 2 are linked. For example: On 5th April this year, Sarah attended an event in Toronto called "Suzanne Rogers Presenrs Marchesa", a glamorous, exclusive event in which was delivered in a limo, wore beautiful clothes, and sipped champagne with the great and the good. "self-indulgence", say those who hate her, "a slap in the face to those who lost money because of her her" etc. etc.
But this was a charity event at which Sarah played charity auctioneer and raised nearly $1m Can. Not bad work. And how many of those who came to the party did so in the hope of meeting the Duchess of York there? How many of those she chatted to and charmed, and who enjoyed her company, may have bid more because of that?

It's fair to say that quite a few of the events Sarah attends have a charitable raison d'etre, and her presence helps them raise money. And even when she's out and about at non-charitable events, the network of people she gets to know are people whom she can call on for help with her own charity projects. Plus, her value as a charity patron is partly dependant on her being "visible" - by being in the public eye, her support and her attempts to raise awareness of issues have more legs.

Of course I'm certainly not saying that there's a grand ulterior motive for Sarah's every foray into society - she clearly also wants to enjoy herself, have fun, and lead a healthy social life. What's wrong with that? But the net result is good for both her, and for those that she is able to help through her position. (And of course that's without even mentioning her "front line" visits to hospitals, orphanages, etc.)

If she was forced into some country retirement, more people than just Sarah would lose out...

Last edited:
I'd like to make a point here in relation to a couple of the things people have been discussing - Sarah's charity work, and the lifestyle that some seenm to find so offensive.
What often escapes attention is how the 2 are linked. For example: On 5th April this year, Sarah attended an event in Toronto called "Suzanne Rogers Presenrs Marchesa", a glamorous, exclusive event in which was delivered in a limo, wore beautiful clothes, and sipped champagne with the great and the good. "self-indulgence", say those who hate her, "a slap in the face to those who lost money because of her her" etc. etc.
But this was a charity event at which Sarah played charity auctioneer and raised nearly $1m Can. Not bad work. And how many of those who came to the party did so in the hope of meeting the Duchess of York there? How many of those she chatted to and charmed, and who enjoyed her company, may have bid more because of that?

It's fair to say that quite a few of the events Sarah attends have a charitable raison d'etre, and her presence helps them raise money. And even when she's out and about at non-charitable events, the network of people she gets to know are people whom she can call on for help with her own charity projects. Plus, her value as a charity patron is partly dependant on her being "visible" - by being in the public eye, her support and her attempts to raise awareness of issues have more legs.

Of course I'm certainly not saying that there's a grand ulterior motive for Sarah's every foray into society - she clearly also wants to enjoy herself, have fun, and lead a healthy social life. What's wrong with that? But the net result is good for both her, and for those that she is able to help through her position. (And of course that's without even mentioning her "front line" visits to hospitals, orphanages, etc.)

If she was forced into some country retirement, more people than just Sarah would lose out...

I agree with everything you said except for the part where you ask what's wrong with her wanting to enjoy herself. The problem is that she's not the one paying for it and until she can maintain the lifestyle she should lie low from a social point of view.

Enjoy the perks of getting to dress up nicely and live it up when you can honestly connect it to your work, more power to her for being able to, but avoid it otherwise until you can get your own hear about water..

So what will Sarah be doing during the Royal wedding? IIRC, Dame Barbara Cartland, also notably snubbed from a Royal wedding, threw a party to honor veterans to celebrate the occasion. I remember thinking that it was quite a graceful gesture.

I'm sure the charities would find another person to act as their auctioneer etc. at those galas. But I would agree with you if Sarah hadn't shown the whole world what kind of person she is when drunk and greedy. This is simply not done, especially not by people who are proud of their Royal connections.
So while she probably has a charitable soul, she herself is not able to control her temper, wishes, lifestyle etc. and thus should not seek public attention the way she does.

So what will Sarah be doing during the Royal wedding? IIRC, Dame Barbara Cartland, also notably snubbed from a Royal wedding, threw a party to honor veterans to celebrate the occasion. I remember thinking that it was quite a graceful gesture.

A bit confused by this.....I thought the general consensus that Sarah was to remain low key. So if she is doing something it would be unpublicized.

Not quite sure what everyone wants from Sarah these days. She is criticized for eating out in well known restaurants, for participating at glossy and wealthy charity events, and for vacationing.

Now in the days before the wedding she is low key and we are wondering what she is doing?

A bit confused by this.....I thought the general consensus that Sarah was to remain low key. So if she is doing something it would be unpublicized.

Not quite sure what everyone wants from Sarah these days. She is criticized for eating out in well known restaurants, for participating at glossy and wealthy charity events, and for vacationing.

Now in the days before the wedding she is low key and we are wondering what she is doing?

The answer may lie in the fact that there are a vast number of posters here, with differing views and ideas - hence, what may appear to be contradictory views.

This is certainly true Muriel.

However, a low back at some of the posts ( from the pro and go away Sarah) provides some evidence that its the go away Sarah contingent who are usually wondering where she is.

But I agree very contradictory indeed.

My feelings today and especially tomorrow are with the York family - all four of them.

It strikes me as hard-hearted that Sarah is expected to stay away, and that Andy and the girls are separated from her.

There comes a time to let bygones be bygones.

My feelings today and especially tomorrow are with the York family - all four of them.

It strikes me as hard-hearted that Sarah is expected to stay away, and that Andy and the girls are separated from her.

By bygones, are you referring to ex-wives, or are you suggesting that former partners of relatives should be invited (eg Mark Phillips, Tony Snowdon)?

IIRC Sarah in her autobiography wrote that she wanted the divorce because she couldn't stand the life that she had to lead as Andrews wife. Or something to that effect. So it was her choice not longer to share Andrew's life and the invitations that come with it. No need to cry for her as that's what she wanted.

We don't need to rehash Sarah's divorce from Andrew.

Let's stay on topic with her current events.

I was thinking about this this morning and I think it is sad that she won't be in the Abbey to see William get married because William was one of her page boys when she married in that same venue.

Not because she was at one time a great friend of his mother's, who even played matchmaker between Sarah and Andrew, but because he was part of her wedding party.

I was thinking about this this morning and I think it is sad that she won't be in the Abbey to see William get married because William was one of her page boys when she married in that same venue.

Not because she was at one time a great friend of his mother's, who even played matchmaker between Sarah and Andrew, but because he was part of her wedding party.

William was four years old when he was a member of her wedding party.:flowers: Have they had any type of a relationship since then? If so, then yes, it's too bad she won't be there.

IIRC, Dame Barbara Cartland's gesture was low-key and gracious, and went unnoticed for quite some time. I thought it would be something to emulate - you know, making lemons out of lemonade, as it were. But perhaps that's not Sarah's style. I'm sure you're right.

Last edited:
i am still hoping sarah shows up. We will know in 12 hours or so...getting excited.

This is certainly true Muriel.

However, a low back at some of the posts ( from the pro and go away Sarah) provides some evidence that its the go away Sarah contingent who are usually wondering where she is.

But I agree very contradictory indeed.
Naw, I'm cool with her being low-key and not around.

:D

William was four years old when he was a member of her wedding party.:flowers: Have they had any type of a relationship since then? If so, then yes, it's too bad she won't be there.

He allegedly hasn't had much of a relationship with her since shortly before his mother died but he certainly holidayed with her and the Yorks a number of times between their marriage and the ending of Sarah's marriage, even after Sarah's divorce so until he was about 13 or so she was very much part of his extended family.

I just think it would have been a nice gesture to allow her a seat in the abbey for the event for the reason stated above and not because of any other relationship type thing but simply because he had had a role at her wedding - a sort of 'thanks' for letting me be one of your page boys. Put it another way - do you think he will be invited to the weddings of the young people taking part later today? I am sure that he will - because they were part of his wedding day.

There are only so many seats in the Abbey. And it doesn't matter who was invited, because there will always be people saying "well, they should have invited this person or that person". In the end, it is William and Catherine's wedding and they invited who they wanted. If William had wanted Sarah there, he would have invited her.

I would imagine that the guest list was very well thought out and gone over with a fine-tooth comb. There will be no over-sights. If Sarah wasn't invited, they had their reasons and at best, all we will ever know is part of the story.

Yes, we are continually told that William and Catherine had an enormously hands-on role in compiling the guest list - more so than Charles and Diana did , ditto Andrew and Sarah.

This is my own personal feeling, although it does contain some educated guess-work on my part, but I honestly think that if Sarah had not been involved in her two latest controversies, then this wedding might have seen her receive an invitation, at least to the ceremony, although probably not to the reception. However, I think the 'cash for access to Andrew' and the recent 'paedeophile helps to clear her debts' story and her own erroneous claim to have recieved no divorce settlement [which we now know is not true - see Divorce Settlement Thread] scuppered her chance of securing a wedding invitation. Supporters and fans of Sarah always point to her her good qualities including her generous heart and her charity work; these are important points in her favour, but her various recent lapses and her inability to 'stay out of trouble' despite her various promises to do so, do make it hard for her to be re-integrated into Royal Society at this time in my very humble opinion.

Alex

Last edited:
I just think it would have been a nice gesture to allow her a seat in the abbey for the event for the reason stated above and not because of any other relationship type thing but simply because he had had a role at her wedding - a sort of 'thanks' for letting me be one of your page boys.

Your argument makes no sense. William should invite Sarah Ferguson to the biggest wedding in history because he was a page boy at her wedding? Did it occur to you that William being a page boy was do to his uncle Andrew giving him the role? They've no relationship as far as we know on top of her being poisonous from a PR standpoint.

Put it another way - do you think he will be invited to the weddings of the young people taking part later today? I am sure that he will - because they were part of his wedding day.

No, he'd be invited if, and only if, he has a real relationship with them not because they took part in his wedding, having been part of it means nothing more than a great story for them to tell later in life.

He allegedly hasn't had much of a relationship with her since shortly before his mother died but he certainly holidayed with her and the Yorks a number of times between their marriage and the ending of Sarah's marriage, even after Sarah's divorce so until he was about 13 or so she was very much part of his extended family.

I just think it would have been a nice gesture to allow her a seat in the abbey for the event for the reason stated above and not because of any other relationship type thing but simply because he had had a role at her wedding - a sort of 'thanks' for letting me be one of your page boys. Put it another way - do you think he will be invited to the weddings of the young people taking part later today? I am sure that he will - because they were part of his wedding day.

I think William stands a good chance of being invited to the weddings of the young people taking part today in his own wedding. But I doubt very much that William will ever do anything to tarnish the image of the BRF as Sarah has:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom