Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of the comments on this article are ridiculous; one says Sarah has been "reinstated as a royal ahead of Lady Oglivy" :lol:
One even suggests that Beatrice and Eugenine don't attend Williams wedding out of loyalty.

Many, many comments about the taxpayers money - about how the instititution is a a disappointment. They need to read more than this trash.

That loyalty comment had me rolling. Even if they were dumb enough to think that'd make any sense, Sarah would never let her daughters set themselves up like that.

I agree with you Lumutqueen, some of the comments are just vile.
The one describing Sarah as still the most loathed person in the world (with Gaddafis still a distant second) is just disgusting IMO.
You were being kind describing it as trash, it's a lot worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
There'd be complaints as well if Beatrice regularly had lunch at McDonalds. "Beatrice Slumming it at Fast Food Joint: Why Doesn't This Princess Act Like a Princess?";)

Exactly!

People wondering about why she is out and about at night and not in school. Unless she is taking night classes or studying at night...why can't she go out to dinner?

Really, I just look at the pictures with the Daily Mail...some of the comments (a sample listed above) or just ridiculous.

I agree. The comments are disgusting. It's a sad indictment of human nature that people can be so full of bitterness and anger at others for NO REASON! I just hope that Sarah and Beatrice don't get to read any of this filth. What vile, mean people!

You were being kind describing it as trash, it's a lot worse.

Didn't think i'd be too cruel in case they went for me next. ;)

People wondering about why she is out and about at night and not in school. Unless she is taking night classes or studying at night...why can't she go out to dinner?

Agreed, their argument is "we're paying for them". Which is getting old and is incorrect.

One thing I can say, Sarah hasn't aged gracefully:sad:

An interesting article, despite the cynical way in which it's written. Sarah talks in her book "What I Know Now" about meeting the Dalai Lama, her admiration for him and how his advice helped her, so her interest in Eastern spiritualism is nothing new.

As zarat says, this doesn't by any means imply some kind of full scale conversion. Personally, I think Sarah is generally quite open to different ideas about spirituality. Again, in "What I Know Now", she talks about her spitual beliefs. I can't remember the exact quote, but it's a non-specific belief in some kind of positive force for good in the universe, which one could choose or not choose to call God. So I think her beliefs are open enough to take on elements of different spiritual ideas from different cultures. The lotus flower notion is an interesting one, and if it's an image or an idea that can help her make sense of her life, so much the better.

As for the situation of her mother leaving - this is something Sarah has mentioned many times as a source of emotional trauma and future problems, notably in her autobiography "My Story".

I must say I admire Sarah's determination to openly analyse the roots of her problems, and face them with determination and honesty, despite the fact that comments like these will be cruelly mocked in some quarters (like the DM!), and personally I wish her all the best in finding her inner lotus flower!

I wish her all the best, too, but I think she should first find out that she is grown up now so blaming her childhood and its traumata is way too old as an explanation for why she can't dix her life without luxurious "fixes".

On reading the actual reports about Prince Andrews connections to very rich and influencial men with somewhat "grey" background one wonders just what kind of access to Andrew and his environment she offered, who payed her debts and what she kind of knowledge she has which makes her an insider of some sorts...

Well, as long as she does not die in a Parisian tunnel or drowns mysteriously somewhere in the Carribbean on falling overboard a billionaires yacht, I guess all's well with that!

I think it's a little harsh to imply that invoking childhood traumas is simply an excuse or an evasion of responsibility. A lot of what we become as adults has its root in childhood experiences. Sarah has taken full responsibility for the cash for access scandal (despite being a victim of entrapment) and for the overspending that lead her to this pass in the first place. Overspending can often be a form of addictive or compulsive behaviour with roots in insecurity or low self-esteem, and, by her own admission, this seems to be the case for Sarah.

Looking at her behaviour in this way doesn’t mean that she’s not responsible for her actions, but is rather a way for her to understand the root cause of the problems she has experienced. To be able to look the issues in the face and confront them is, to me, indicative of courage, not cowardice or evasion. As with other forms of addictive behaviour, it’s never easy for the person in question to conquer their “demons”. They may relapse into old patterns, but at least if they recognize and understand the problems, they have a chance of moving on and putting their issues behind them. This is what Sarah is trying to do, and I respect her bravery and determination in doing so.

I wish her all the best, too, but I think she should first find out that she is grown up now so blaming her childhood and its traumata is way too old as an explanation for why she can't dix her life without luxurious "fixes".

I don't think being grown-up means anyone has to stop blaming their childhood for their problems. I've seen so much of this in real life--grown adults who have problems that go back to their relationships with their parents, or their parents' marriage or divorce. Yes, your childhood does affect your behaviour, your thinking patterns, your attachment style, in adulthood.

That said...I don't know what Sarah is talking about when she talks about wanting to be a "lotus flower." I'm not sure if even she knows what she's talking about! Eastern spirituality and New Age coping techniques won't help her. She's been dabbling in them for years, and they haven't helped her at all.

I feel sad for Sarah. She sounded lost and detached from reality in the Oprah interview, and she sounds the same way in this interview. You can tell that everyone is asking her "why" she got into so much trouble, and she really doesn't know. She doesn't know who she is or what to do with her life, either. I get the sense that Sarah is looking for someone to give her direction.

I agree with your thoughts rmay286. It's ultimately up to each of us to shape the course of our own lives, but of course the start we get in life shapes us as people. Sadly I think Sarah is in real trouble, and lost as your say but who is that person to give her direction???
Few people have gotten the kinda bad press Sarah has, and there aren't many people she can trust.
The tired and aged looking Sarah we have seen recently is very different to the first photo of Sarah in the article.
I'd forgotten she could look very striking.

That said...I don't know what Sarah is talking about when she talks about wanting to be a "lotus flower." I'm not sure if even she knows what she's talking about! Eastern spirituality and New Age coping techniques won't help her. She's been dabbling in them for years, and they haven't helped her at all.

Here’s an explanation (from http://www.suite101.com/content/the-symbolic-meaning-of-the-lotus-flower-a234559) of the meaning of the lotus flower:
The Lotus flower is regarded in many different cultures –— specially in eastern religions as a symbol of purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration and rebirth. Its characteristics are a perfect analogy for the human condition: even when its roots are in the dirtiest waters, the Lotus produces the most beautiful flower”.
From the same article, here’s an explanation of the Buddhist journey that this represents:
“The journey of the consciousness from spiritual ignorance to perfection happens through many rebirths and can be very painful and difficult, as the process of reincarnation involves the need to repair past mistakes at every new life and one faces the consequences of every action, thought and words”.

Looking at this reincarnation concept as a metaphor for making changes in our one single life (if that’s how you choose to see it) makes it very relevant indeed to Sarah’s life and the process she is going through. I think the point of this is that it’s an idea, an image, that one can use to inspire changes or help you through difficulties.

Some would take the same comfort or inspiration from the Christian idea of redemption, for example – either way it’s something to offer hope and guidance – whatever works for each individual.

And I don’t think we can necessarily say that Sarah’s interest in Eastern spirituality “hasn’t helped her at all in the past”. We don’t know that. On the contrary, she has suggested in her writing that it HAS helped. And I think the lotus flower symbol is one that has the potential to be a source of comfort and inspiration to Sarah at a very, very tough time in her life. At least, I certainly hope so.

I think that Sarah is bound to kick at rules, no matter what those rules are. In my opinion, she's attracted to New Age beliefs because she can pick and choose what she accepts and what she doesn't. Religions such as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have written rules of conduct and basic things that must be believed in order for a person to say that they practice that religion. New Age religion takes what it wants from the spiritual buffet. You want to worship angels? Fine. You want to rely on crystals? Great. You want to sit under a pyramid? Can do. The possibilities are endless.

I think that Sarah is bound to kick at rules, no matter what those rules are. In my opinion, she's attracted to New Age beliefs because she can pick and choose what she accepts and what she doesn't. Religions such as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have written rules of conduct and basic things that must be believed in order for a person to say that they practice that religion. New Age religion takes what it wants from the spiritual buffet. You want to worship angels? Fine. You want to rely on crystals? Great. You want to sit under a pyramid? Can do. The possibilities are endless.

That’s an interesting point. I’d certainly agree that Sarah is not the sort of person to be confined within a rigid system of rules, and that’s partly why she struggled to adapt to the restrictions imposed by being a Royal. She is a free spirit who would rather choose her own path in life.

I do believe, however, that she has a strong sense of spirituality and a need to believe in something beyond the material aspect of life. Talking about crystals and angels makes it all sound rather frivolous, and I think her interest in Eastern spirituality is deeper than that. A book like “What I know Now” shows us that she has thought quite deeply about how best to live her life and try to achieve some kind of fulfilment. She hasn’t got there yet, but then which of us ever does? You just have to try to find your own way in life through whatever makes sense to you.

I don't know how reliable his sources are, but according to Christopher Anderson's book William and Kate, William was one member of the RF especially outraged by Sarah, and called her "a disgrace!"

Anderson expressed surprise at that, because he wouldn't have expected William to be quite so angry.

At any rate, if true, this would explain why Sarah wasn't invited to the wedding.

Anybody read Sarah's interview in New Idea (current issue of the magazine is on sale in Australia)?
If so what exactly had she to say about Andrew and the girls reaction to the scandal?
Can anybody post the interview or is there a link to read it on line?

...A book like “What I know Now” shows us that she has thought quite deeply about how best to live her life and try to achieve some kind of fulfilment...
I read What I know Now not too long ago. Shame Sarah never follows the edicts of what she knows now. And I believe Mermaid was referring to several books where Sarah was reported to sit beneath a pyramid. (Mer, wasn't it the same gal Diana went to as well?)

I think that what you say is partly true--Sarah doesn't like rules; but I also don't think she is committed to any form of spirituality, Eastern/New Age or otherwise. I would call Sarah a spiritual "seeker" more than anything else. I think that, aside from the rules, the reason she doesn't appear to show much interest in traditional Christianity is that the religion has never been explained to her as anything more than a set of rules that are to be obeyed for the sake of tradition, rather than because the follower believes passionately with his/her heart.

Sarah believes in "following her heart", but I don't think that's the same as just following what sounds good to her. I think she loves and is really committed (whatever her past mistakes) to her family--Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie. The more passionately Sarah feels about something, the more she is willing to give her all for it and even submit to some restrictions. For example, if Sarah hadn't really loved and respected Andrew and the Queen, she could have spoken as badly about the royal family as Diana did or done a tell-all--she restrained herself, because I think she really doesn't want to hurt anyone. I don't think she feels passionate about any belief system, but she is looking for answers to her problems right now, and that is why she is talking about looking for her "inner lotus flower."

Last edited:
my feeling is, that Sarah is living a life full of regrets, disapointments and would have beens, that might be the reason she is continuosly seeking spirituality. I feel bad for her!

I just think this last interview is PR for her new TV program.

I don't want to upset Sarah, Duchess of York fans, but I don't think Sarah has found her way yet. I will watch her future actions too decide.

I was shocked by the Duchess with the toe sucking incident. But last years money for access to Prince Andrew I finally was turned off. I felt she was destructive to herself and her family. She should be in under care of a shrink. If Sarah feels she has to buy approval in her relationships for the person to like or love her, she needs professional help. I do not see Sarah aging well either I think she has a compulsive problems too.

BTW off topic. If you accept your God into you life, usually your life will be under the creator's care. In my twenties I was big time into astrology, but that did not lead me to happiness. God did in my forties.:flowers:

Last edited:
It's interesting to note that both Diana and Sarah were unhappily married, yet their divorces didn't improve matters but just sunk them deeper in misery.

It makes me wonder if perhaps they should have tried harder in their marriages; maybe had long-term counseling?

Now a middle-aged Sarah is hanging around on the fringes and increasingly isolated; I suspect this would have been Diana's fate as well, if she had survived. (Yes, they had children, but it's impossible to live through your children. At some point you have to let go).

Whatever Sarah does in order to instill some peace and calm in her life (or more importantly her mind) must be a good thing. I hope that she sticks with it for a change, because she seems to have tried so many different things over the years in both her professional and personal life and nothing seems to have worked for her so far.

I cannot help thinking that if she had stuck with just one project - such as her writing career - instead of setting up all sorts of different things, she could be a lot happier. I know she has done a lot of charity work, but she has juggled this with various other ventures and allowed herself to be in the media spotlight too, and from my own perspective it's just abit of a confusing mess. Whether she chooses spirituality, religion or even decides to spent her life up a mountain in a hut, she has to live her life through those ideals and resist being drawn into money making schemes to support a jet-set lifestyle that doesn't even fit into a spiritual or religious way of life.

Whether she chooses spirituality, religion or even decides to spent her life up a mountain in a hut, she has to live her life through those ideals and resist being drawn into money making schemes to support a jet-set lifestyle that doesn't even fit into a spiritual or religious way of life.

Yes--Sarah needs to give up the jet-set lifestyle/give up thinking that she is entitled to this just because she once was married to a royal. I'm not sure how she could be convinced of this.

Yes--Sarah needs to give up the jet-set lifestyle/give up thinking that she is entitled to this just because she once was married to a royal. I'm not sure how she could be convinced of this.

But Sarah was/is always a part of the jet set life before she married Andrew. The issue is that she at the present time can't sustain that. But if she has friends who don't mind her sharing a cabin/jet with her...is that her problem or our problem?

She isn't every going to have a regular 9 to 5 job..she needs to find something that fits her talents and allows her the freedom to do what she likes to do within a lifestyle that she can support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom