Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never mentioned the difficulty of getting access to her family, let alone disagreed with you on the matter so I'm not sure where, "there you go" comes from, like you just proved a point.

We were talking about the show and the repercussions it might have on her. I mentioned the all access point as something she would give up, going by past behavior, if enough money was thrown her way.

Like most of you I don't particularly like the sound of Sarah's show and I don't think Beatrice and Eugenie should get involved in it.
Having said that the most Sarah could really promise is that she would discuss it with her family.
If Andrew and/or the girls do feature in the show they have obviously agreed to do so. Sarah hasn't held a gun to anyones head and forced them to take a flight to New York and be filmed by OWN.
If Sarah asked them to be involved they are young women able to make their own decisions, and they could say "No Mum, I hope the show works out for you but I don't want to be a part of it".
If it was a case of Oprah saying "No daughters, no show" the girls would still have to agree to do it, and more than likely Andrew would also have to give his blessing.

I never mentioned the difficulty of getting access to her family, let alone disagreed with you on the matter so I'm not sure where, "there you go" comes from, like you just proved a point.

We were talking about the show and the repercussions it might have on her. I mentioned the all access point as something she would give up, going by past behavior, if enough money was thrown her way.

My "there you go" was not directed at you or your conversation. It was merely my response to "... but we are finding it hard to get them to be part of it". I have no desire to prove a point to you or anyone else.

There you go!

Last edited:
If it was a case of Oprah saying "No daughters, no show" the girls would still have to agree to do it, and more than likely Andrew would also have to give his blessing.

I would imagine also that it would have to be put to the Queen too before any of the royal family appeared on an American talk show especially one that is supposedly going "deep" into Sarah Ferguson's problems. I don't think I'd really want to know what words would come out of Philip's mouth on this one. :eek:

If Sarah asked them to be involved they are young women able to make their own decisions, and they could say "No Mum, I hope the show works out for you but I don't want to be a part of it". If it was a case of Oprah saying "No daughters, no show" the girls would still have to agree to do it, and more than likely Andrew would also have to give his blessing.

But would they say no? It's been touched upon how the girls and Andrew seem unable to practice tough love. Would they have it in them to say no if they believed or were convinced that it was best for Sarah to have them included?

It's more than a bit of a train wreck waiting to happen if they do agree cause Oprah won't hold back on such a juicy opportunity. As Osipi mentioned it'd have to be put to the Queen and that might be the only thing stopping it in the end.

If Sarah did indeed promise access to the royal family, what was she thinking?! Did she honestly think that Andrew and/or the girls would appear on a reality show in the U.S.?!

If Sarah did indeed promise access to the royal family, what was she thinking?! Did she honestly think that Andrew and/or the girls would appear on a reality show in the U.S.?!
Perhaps in a moment of weakness she over promised and now is under delivering?

It's more than a bit of a train wreck waiting to happen if they do agree cause Oprah won't hold back on such a juicy opportunity.

The more we discuss this, the more I think the whole deal is heading for a train wreck. There's something very wrong with this and I can't really put my finger exactly on what it is yet. Its not so much the girls and Andrew as I can almost guarantee that they'll NOT be included in the show. The show has been delayed till after William and Kate's wedding where as any smart PR person would think, it would draw a larger audience in the US while everyone is catching "royal fever". Perhaps what Oprah sensed that she could draw out of Sarah from that last appearance just isn't materializing the way she wants it. I do think she was really trying to somehow get "dirt" on the royal family and the inside scoops of what went wrong with Sarah's and Andrew's marriage and that just isn't going to materialize. Sarah has had time to sit back and calm down from the "access" scandal and as she has said "its time to mother herself" and I guess that's what she believed that Oprah wanted. As someone said earlier, it seems like the OWN network isn't doing as well as was expected and they're looking for sensationalistic "never heard before" dirt and just not finding it. Ahh.. we'll see but I really do hope they scrap the whole thing.

Perhaps what at first looked like a light at the end of the tunnel for Sarah is actually an oncoming train.

Last edited:
Perhaps in a moment of weakness she over promised and now is under delivering?
Quite possible, but this sounds a bit familiar, doesn't it? I'm surprised that Sarah would think it was ok to promise something like that.

But would they say no? It's been touched upon how the girls and Andrew seem unable to practice tough love. Would they have it in them to say no if they believed or were convinced that it was best for Sarah to have them included?

It's more than a bit of a train wreck waiting to happen if they do agree cause Oprah won't hold back on such a juicy opportunity. As Osipi mentioned it'd have to be put to the Queen and that might be the only thing stopping it in the end.

If it really was up for debate whatever about the girls I don't think they'd get the Ok from Andrew on this occasion, and as you point out the Queen would be consulted.
No they don't have in it them to practice tough love and I don't think they ever will.

What a wonderful post Osipi and I agree with you 100%.
The dust has settled a bit and maybe with her family supporting her and Andrew's financial help she might be in a better place.
Nothing is ever straight forward with Sarah, she is both vunerable and strong in ways. To have lived this roller coaster life for over 20 years takes a lot of inner resolve.
Even at her lowest point speaking to Oprah within days of the scandal she wouldn't quote Andrew, a few months on and still having Andrew's friendship she might talk a bit but she wouldn't reveal all Oprah would want.

Quite possible, but this sounds a bit familiar, doesn't it? I'm surprised that Sarah would think it was ok to promise something like that.

She's not known for thinking things through, is she? She's a big kid, impulse control is not in her nature so a promise to all-access (If she indeed did make that deal) means nothing from her perspective.

A good guess might be that she saw a chance to make money legitimately by working with one of the world's most famous women and she thought it a great way to make a comeback without thinking through the consequences of what she promised.

Even if she didn't promise the access she's still surrounded by Oprah's people, who are being told to re-shoot to make the program more hard hitting. That's got to be a bit scary to think of what could happen now that it seems Oprah's sicking her dogs at Sarah with the intent to spill blood.

That's what was mentioned in the article.

"She wants the series to be the very best it can be. Sarah had also said the cameras would have access to members of her family, including her daughters, but we are finding it hard to get them to be part of it"

You know what...I think we are all reading too much into this quote, thinking that Sarah signed away access to her daughters. Firstly, after the cash-for-access scandal, I can bet you that Prince Andrew was told to keep an eye on Sarah's dealings with the media. And if Sarah were promising access to Beatrice and Eugenie, I can also guarantee again that Andrew would have to give his blessing first. I don't think Andrew would let the media have unlimited access to his daughters.

The media has had access to Beatrice and Eugenie before--the Turkish orphanages documentary comes to mind. I suspect that Sarah promised Oprah (with Andrew's blessing) that the girls would appear on the show. That could mean five minutes of footage of them visiting a charity with Sarah. Sarah wouldn't have signed a contract with specific details such as, "You can film the girls at school/you will have an hour to interview them." If she'd signed such a contract, Oprah could probably sue her for breach of contract...but I'm not getting that impression from the Daily Mail article. It sounds more like a production team irritated because they were promised access to Beatrice and Eugenie and are getting much more limited access than they wanted.

As some have mentioned, I wonder about Andrew's trip to New York. Does anyone think he'll make an appearance in this "documentary"...even just a cameo?

The more we discuss this, the more I think the whole deal is heading for a train wreck. There's something very wrong with this and I can't really put my finger exactly on what it is yet. Its not so much the girls and Andrew as I can almost guarantee that they'll NOT be included in the show. The show has been delayed till after William and Kate's wedding where as any smart PR person would think, it would draw a larger audience in the US while everyone is catching "royal fever". Perhaps what Oprah sensed that she could draw out of Sarah from that last appearance just isn't materializing the way she wants it. I do think she was really trying to somehow get "dirt" on the royal family and the inside scoops of what went wrong with Sarah's and Andrew's marriage and that just isn't going to materialize. Sarah has had time to sit back and calm down from the "access" scandal and as she has said "its time to mother herself" and I guess that's what she believed that Oprah wanted. As someone said earlier, it seems like the OWN network isn't doing as well as was expected and they're looking for sensationalistic "never heard before" dirt and just not finding it. Ahh.. we'll see but I really do hope they scrap the whole thing.

Perhaps what at first looked like a light at the end of the tunnel for Sarah is actually an oncoming train.

Oncoming train...I think unfortunately that this is a good analogy.

I agree with you...Oprah wanted to expose skeletons in the royal closet.
But after 20 years, there is probably nothing left to expose (or at least, nothing more that Sarah is willing to expose)...and Oprah is just discovering this, to her frustration.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, it does sound familiar. The Sarah who is eager to please who will promise anything to be liked, yes it is familar.

The media has had access to Beatrice and Eugenie before--the Turkish orphanages documentary comes to mind. I suspect that Sarah promised Oprah (with Andrew's blessing) that the girls would appear on the show. That could mean five minutes of footage of them visiting a charity with Sarah. Sarah wouldn't have signed a contract with specific details such as, "You can film the girls at school/you will have an hour to interview them." If she'd signed such a contract, Oprah could probably sue her for breach of contract...but I'm not getting that impression from the Daily Mail article. It sounds more like a production team irritated because they were promised access to Beatrice and Eugenie and are getting much more limited access than they wanted.

Were they promised access to Beatrice and Eugenie specifically? The article says 'her family' which could mean her sister etc.

Wanting the series to be the very best it can be could just be an excuse for postponing it after William's wedding when the "royal fever" should be at its peak in the USA (if there is gonna be a royal fever). Royal fever means higher ratings...

Wanting the series to be the very best it can be could just be an excuse for postponing it after William's wedding when the "royal fever" should be at its peak in the USA (if there is gonna be a royal fever). Royal fever means higher ratings...

I would think that after the wedding people will start to lose interest after all the hoopla building up until the 29th. I can't turn the TV on here without seeing an ad for a copy of the engagement ring at least 3 times a day if not more. Many, many channels here are scheduling programming related to the wedding between now and the ceremony including Lifetime having a movie about Wills and Kate's long courtship. The higher rankings would be before the wedding and not after IMO

I would think that after the wedding people will start to lose interest after all the hoopla building up until the 29th. I can't turn the TV on here without seeing an ad for a copy of the engagement ring at least 3 times a day if not more. Many, many channels here are scheduling programming related to the wedding between now and the ceremony including Lifetime having a movie about Wills and Kate's long courtship. The higher rankings would be before the wedding and not after IMO

I think you are spot on Osipi, even the most enthusiastic of royal watchers will have their fill after the 29th. The last thing Sarah would want is negative media coverage before the wedding so she mightn't be too disappointed about the delay especially if an invite is a possibility.
On another note I think Sarah looks very well in the first photo of the DM's article. Her hair and make up is nice, it's the first time I've been able to say that for a while.

I think you are spot on Osipi, even the most enthusiastic of royal watchers will have their fill after the 29th. The last thing Sarah would want is negative media coverage before the wedding so she mightn't be too disappointed about the delay especially if an invite is a possibility.
On another note I think Sarah looks very well in the first photo of the DM's article. Her hair and make up is nice, it's the first time I've been able to say that for a while.

With that head of hair, I always thought Sarah was quite pretty although there have been some photos of her where she does really look washed out and horrible. As it is reportedly so that Sarah will be invited to the wedding, she's probably glad too I think. I just really wonder what her thoughts are when she heard that what she has given so far is not enough. I think I'd feel like I've been drained of blood and they're coming back for more like vultures.

You're right that most folks are going to be very done with royalty stuff after the 29th but we *know* here we'll be rehashing everything and anything well through the summer. :)

I wa going to disagree on this but after some thought I believe this to be true. The only people who will win from the after wedding hoopla will be the mags. It'll be just like an awards show, the fashion critiques and gossip will play for a day or two and then the commemorative magazines will mop up the rest. OWN has to position that show quite carefully, probably the weekend before but nothing closer than two days before so as not to get tangled with people getting up early for the ceremony.

I like Sarah honestly I really do and I want to believe that if this series does go through she'll make sure it's done as a way not to hurt her family in any possible way but then the other half of me thinks my god this is Oprah I doubt Oprah would allow that after all Oprah seems very manipulative, so half of me just wants the show to be pulled all together.

Has this been posted sorry if it has...
Oprah denies rumours she`s unhappy with Sarah Ferguson`s new show - Monsters and Critics

Last edited:
She's not known for thinking things through, is she? She's a big kid, impulse control is not in her nature so a promise to all-access (If she indeed did make that deal) means nothing from her perspective.

A good guess might be that she saw a chance to make money legitimately by working with one of the world's most famous women and she thought it a great way to make a comeback without thinking through the consequences of what she promised.

Even if she didn't promise the access she's still surrounded by Oprah's people, who are being told to re-shoot to make the program more hard hitting. That's got to be a bit scary to think of what could happen now that it seems Oprah's sicking her dogs at Sarah with the intent to spill blood.

Apt description. I wonder if she had any idea what she was in for with Oprah.

Yes, I agree, it does sound familiar. The Sarah who is eager to please who will promise anything to be liked, yes it is familar.

It could be that the originator of the story thought that because it would sound familiar, it would be believable.

I like Sarah honestly I really do and I want to believe that if this series does go through she'll make sure it's done as a way not to hurt her family in any possible way but then the other half of me thinks my god this is Oprah I doubt Oprah would allow that after all Oprah seems very manipulative, so half of me just wants the show to be pulled all together.

Has this been posted sorry if it has...
Oprah denies rumours she`s unhappy with Sarah Ferguson`s new show - Monsters and Critics
It seems that it will be aired in the summer. Around the time of the wedding, perhaps..?

It seems that it will be aired in the summer. Around the time of the wedding, perhaps..?

Gosh I hope not, negative headlines before the wedding would be another set back for Sarah.
It might be in May, around the scandal anniversary, you know "One Year On" type of thing.

Gosh I hope not, negative headlines before the wedding would be another set back for Sarah.
It might be in May, around the scandal anniversary, you know "One Year On" type of thing.

It'll probably air when its been redone enough that Oprah thinks its "hard hitting" enough to entertain the masses. I really don't see how this program can come out as anything but negative in the way Sarah is viewed by the public. I thought otherwise and was hoping it would be a good thing for her until the latest reports on the show came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom