Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
Last edited:
This is the first time i've seen Sarahs coat of arms, where does it come from? Does any of it have any meaning?

Maybe one of the reasone the girls have consistently spent Christmas with the Queen and Andrew is that for the rest of the year the girls have mostly spent their time with Sarah so Andrew gets them on holidays.As for most of the extended royal family spending Xmas day with the queen ,I think it will be interesting to see what William and Catherine do after they are married.Catherine has a family that are not divorced so spending alternate Xmasses with them is quite feasible.

I've read for the first time about her coat of arms in Kitty Kelly's book "The British Royal Family".I don't remember for sure the meaning,but it was something like"There won't be happiness without unhappiness or sorrow"

According to Wikipedia:

The arms were granted to her father, Ronald Ferguson. She bears them on a lozenge.
The motto is ex adversis felicitas crescit (from adversity grows happiness).

I saw a clip of Sarah on Oprah's new network, OWN this morning. She was talking about her upcoming "Finding Sarah" show. Looks like it might be interesting. In her own words, she'll be "hanging out the dirty laundry".

I hope not! Surely there must be an end of this constant "dirty laundry" ??
It's never too late for Sarah to acquire some propriety and style.....

I saw a clip of Sarah on Oprah's new network, OWN this morning. She was talking about her upcoming "Finding Sarah" show. Looks like it might be interesting. In her own words, she'll be "hanging out the dirty laundry".

I'm sure that it will be quite an interesting thing to watch and it is a good way for Sarah to actively make some inroads into resolving her past debts but I am really questioning just what will be the outcome of "Finding Sarah".

Is it to be a documentary for our entertainment, to get the entire scoop of the foibles of Sarah? Is it a window where we sit in on actual 'therapy" that Sarah goes through? Will it actually have a positive impact on both the audience and Sarah herself? I feel somewhat ill at ease at the idea of ever taking seriously someone that wants me to believe that going into therapy in front of a national audience is the "real" thing and makes me wonder what will be more important... the therapy or the income generated from this. The downside I think to this program will be the definite line drawn separating Sarah, Duchess of York from Sarah Ferguson, reality celebrity.

I really do not expect a large audience for this show. I will probably watch it as unlike most Americans, I do have an interest in British royalty. All in all, I think that Sarah airing her problems on national TV ranks right up there with Lisa Rinna having her infamous lips reduced on TV Land's "Harry Loves Lisa".

I really do not expect a large audience for this show. I will probably watch it as unlike most Americans, I do have an interest in British royalty. All in all, I think that Sarah airing her problems on national TV ranks right up there with Lisa Rinna having her infamous lips reduced on TV Land's "Harry Loves Lisa".

Nor do I.
Sarah once generated a great deal of interest, but only while she was married to Andrew.
At this point, it's a case of what will it take to get this woman to go away?
The show may do all right until the wedding, but after that, I foresee a ratings crash.

i hope this will be on fancast at some point. i would like to hear what Sarah has to say, i have always really like her and i hope she can get some air time to defend lot of the rumors that have plagued her over the years.

I just wish there was some way of cleaning this "dirty laundry." Unless it's metaphorically sprinkled with detergent and left out in a rainstorm, I can't see what good it does re-airing it now and then. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had I been in the cafe, I would not have recognized her. Although thin, she looks awful.

Had I been in the cafe, I would not have recognized her. Although thin, she looks awful.
Because she is not thin by her complexion and it makes her look a bit ill,she hasn't the proportions of a slim woman

Sarah, Duchess of York is listed as a member of the Royal Family on royal.gov.uk website: http://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Coats of arms/ANNEX C - Royal Family.pdf

That is very interesting as I am sure we all thought that she ceased to be a member of the family on her divorce but this is an official site from the UK government so presumably she has some royal status - due to being the mother of the Queen's granddaughters no doubt. Diana of course was given royal family status on divorce so maybe - despite what everyone thought - it was given to both of them but just never made public with regard to Sarah or have the girls fought for their mother and had that status returned to her?

I wonder if that status will remain once Charles is King?

I wouldn't be surprised if her haggard look is for the show. Oprah loves the whole haggard to wonderful thing.

That list of royal family members is a list of persons whose names and images can't be trademarked, according to this document. I'm not sure it has any other significance.

Last edited:
That list of royal family members is a list of persons whose names and images can't be trademarked, according to this document. I'm not sure it has any other significance.

They didn't have to include Sarah under a list headed Royal Family. They could have used a separate heading - 'former royals' or 'others' but she is clearly listed, on an official government website under the list of members of the Royal Family.

"Others" and "former royals" aren't covered by the corresponding legislation, which applies to "representation of Her Majesty or any member of the Royal family." Perhaps it's an indication into how the palace views her status generally, but perhaps it's just an attempt to keep the image and name of the mother of the Queen's granddaughters from being used improperly.

Last edited:
The fact that the legislation covers Sarah but only relates to members of the royal family supports the supposition that the government and the Queen (who had to approve the legislation) consider her a member of the family.

I agree, Mr. Benson. It has no significance beyond trademark protections for the Queen's granddaughters. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I agree, Mr. Benson. It has no significance beyond trademark protections for the Queen's granddaughters. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

The granddaughters are named specifically.

The list states 'Members of the Royal Family' and the legislation is only relevant to the members of the royal family and Sarah is listed as one of those people.

It most assuredly has significance as it is an official list given by the UK government on their website of a list of people covered by legislation that only relates to the royal family. That list had to be approved by both the Queen and the government and Sarah's name is listed as belonging to the royal family. No getting away from the fact that on an official government website she is listed as belonging to the royal family.

Sure a cigar is just a cigar - so an official government list of members of the royal family is just that - a government list of the members of the royal family and Sarah is on that list.

She's on the list. So what? Yes, it's an official document but what does it mean? Ultimately nothing. She's still a former princess who's skated on the fact that she got to keep the style Duchess of York but she doesn't dare call herself an actual member of the royal family.

What happens if Andrew remarries?
Then will Sarah have to give up the title Duchess of York?
There can't be two, can there? So what name would she have, in that event?

Mirabel, I'm open to correction but I read previously that legally Sarah can always call herself Sarah, Duchess of York (like any married woman who separates but doesn't revert back to their maiden name). If Andrew were to remarry his new wife would be HRH (Name) The Duchess of York.
Sarah isn't THE Duchess of York.
Somehow I don't think that will ever be an issue, Andrew seems happy with his lot.

She's on the list. So what? Yes, it's an official document but what does it mean? Ultimately nothing. She's still a former princess who's skated on the fact that she got to keep the style Duchess of York but she doesn't dare call herself an actual member of the royal family.

Why not if the government does on its official website in relation to legislation that only applies to the royal family and had to be signed by the Queen (who also had to approve all addenda etc) so the Queen also had to approve her name being on this list.

As the Queen would have approved her name appearing on an official government list of those in the Royal Family why shouldn't Sarah regard herself as being a member of that family?

What happens if Andrew remarries?
Then will Sarah have to give up the title Duchess of York?
There can't be two, can there? So what name would she have, in that event?

Sarah can call herself Sarah, Duchess of York until she remarries and nothing can change that, short of legislation requiring all ex-wives to revert to their maiden names.

She isn't using a title but a style - the same style as used by the divorced wife of any peer, and the same style as the divorced Diana used - Diana, Princess of Wales (not a title but a style). They both lost their titles when they were divorced as they ceased to be The Princess of Wales and The Duchess of York.

There can be two, three or however many are necessary. If Andrew remarries his wife will be HRH The Duchess of York and Sarah would be Sarah, Duchess of York. It happens all the time where through divorce or death there are multiple people with the same title. Take the title/style Countess Spencer. The present Earl has been married and divorced twice and both wives can use the names Victoria, Countess Spencer and Caroline, Countess Spencer. Had he married his recent fiancee she would have become The Countess Spencer but that would have had no effect on the rights of his divorced ex-wives to use Countess Spencer as part of their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom