The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Just when I hoped she had learnt from her last outing with Operah, she goes and does it again. Yes she craves the spotlight and I guess she will never change. I personally have grown tired of her performances.
Nearly 30 years either squarely in the spotlight or chasing it madly; with all that practice, she still can't resist the one last boast that might boost: in this case, a Diana reference, a vacation to Thailand. To complete and utter failure.

As someone who makes a living off her appearances and speechifyin', you'd think she might have put some effort into preparing for what clearly was a softball interview; it's not like she was facing Anderson Cooper. But no, it was twist-the-hankie and digging up the dead.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Majesty

She'd need someone to mind her spending, I think. Perhaps even give her an allowance with receipts required. It would be really humiliating for her, but it could be done privately and might force her to confront her "demons." I have sympathy for children whose mothers abandon them and know some personally. I agree with your "armchair analysis" by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Also, Lord Snowdon remained friendly with his sister-in-law the Queen, and with the Queen Mother after the divorce. The Queen Mother is said to have really adored him.

He has mostly been very discreet in regards to his Royal connections...he has not embarrassed the Palace or his former-in-laws in any way.

If I am not mistaken Snowdon took at least one official portrait of Diana Spencer during her engagement period.
I recently read the bio of the Queen Mother and you are correct, she was very very fond of Lord Snowdon and remained friendly with him, as did the Queen, after he and Princess Margaret divorced. Sarah is her own worst enemy -- am I correct in remembering that the Queen was fond of Sarah before she married Andrew? If so, look at what a friendship she squandered with the Queen, although Sarah's behavior during the marriage may have been viewed with a jaundiced eye by the Queen.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Watching Oprah...The Diana comment does not sound as bad in conversation, as it did in writing.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Nobility

I missed out on the interview tonight as it was only screened the the USA. Could someone let me in on the main quotes from the interview.
What did she say about Andrew (I saw a short clip on Oprah's website but it cuts off when Oprah asks her about her family, and afterwards it looked liked she got upset). Is the relationship strained? Did Beatrice and Eugenie break their silence as promised?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Watching Oprah...The Diana comment does not sound as bad in conversation, as it did in writing.

The thing is, I think she does genuinely miss her late friend Diana terribly. The fact that Diana was not speaking to her at the time of her death must haunt Sarah, even though I am almost certain they would have made up eventually, especially if Diana had by some miracle survived the accident in Paris.

Sarah loved Diana, and my opinion is that she was a better and more loyal friend to Diana than Diana was to her.

Which makes William's snubbing of her even more painful...I can understand him not wanting any controversy at his wedding but I cannot understand why he would have any real antipathy toward her.

Vassillisos Markos-yes you are correct, both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were very taken with Sarah in the early years of the marriage and I even saw a photo of Prince Charles happily giving her a kiss on the cheek at a polo match during the engagement.

After her adulterous affairs become public Prince Philip became her implacable enemy. Being a Naval officer who was away from his own wife at one time, the idea of ANY woman-let alone his daughter-in-law, betraying her husband in that manner was just unforgiveable to him I think.

The Queen is said to have not really cut the cord until some time later. She insisted on inviting Sarah and giving her a place of honor when Andrew was made a Knight Of The Garter, for example. But something happened later and HM seems to have washed her hands of her former-daughter-in-law.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I agree when I first read it I was like oh no but when I watched it I was like meh what's the big fuss? Anyways I actually liked this interview and I thought it was cute Andrew carries a photo of her with him. Thought the words from Beatrice and Eugenie was beautiful. So far from what I've seen in the documentary and this interview it seems as though she's finally getting to the cause of all her problems and that's great to hear. I definitely had some uhuh! moments I could relate with some of the things she was saying such as thinking someone is mad at you if they don't respond to your email right away. So happy to hear they're still such a tight nit family. I do hope in the future Sarah finds herself and is able to solve her problems and avoid these types of mistakes. As she said you can't dwell on the past so I won't hold on a grudge on her due to her mistakes I just want her to come to terms with all this and move and live a good life.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Majesty

I personally love the fact that the Yorks remain a tight family unit and cannot be broken apart. They seem to really love and accept one another.

Charles once said his relationship with Camilla was "non-negotiable".

William has taken the Middletons to heart and in some ways seems to prefer them to his birth family(at least for now) and this in spite of the odious reputation of his bride's uncle-who by the way he invited to the wedding.

So if Prince Andrew feels the same way about his relationship with his ex-wife and the mother of his children...there is really not much Buck House can do about it.

There is still time for Sarah to make a triumph of her life...she is not exactly in her dotage yet. She and Andrew seem to have raised healthy and well adjusted children-and that is an achievement in itself.

In fact the late Jacqueline Kennedy famously said that nothing else you accomplish in life matters AT ALL if your children do not turn out well...and in a way I agree with her.

So at least Sarah can take pride in that...except for their fashion sensibilities they have come through just fine, LOL!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

So if Prince Andrew feels the same way about his relationship with his ex-wife and the mother of his children...there is really not much Buck House can do about it.
Well, they (at least, the Queen) could cut him off financially.
I doubt Andrew could get along on his navy pension; he's a man who is used to the best of everything, and I don't see him giving up his royal status for a woman who cheated on him and dragged him through the gutter. JMO.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Serene Highness

I'm going to toss in my two cents. I've always liked Sarah, although I've groaned along with everyone else when she did something stupid. And there have been a lot of "stupid". In some ways I can identify with her, with a mother who never really voiced her love until a few years before her death, and it's difficult being insecure in that knowledge. She had a lot more leeway as Duchess of York than Diana did, and Sarah jumped in with both feet. I feel she tried to make the best of it, do her duty. But when your husband is never around to support you, give you a pat on the back or just love you, what's the point? She was a single mother when he was at sea. IMO, Andrew should've taken a look at his family life and realized he would have to be a Prince/husband or a Naval officer, and he took the easy way out.

I also think they will remarry one day. Probably after HM is in her grave.
Just my thoughts.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Nobility

Sarah seems very giving to those close to her, given the loyalty her girls and ex show her. On the other hand, self centered in wanting the spotlight and attention from anyone with pull. I also thinks she is a very good manipulator, saying the right thing at the right time and then not living it. For example she expresses remorse when she stuffs up eg. money for contact with Andrew, then we wait. Not too long down the road she will do something out of order. It's happened before and IMO, it will happen again. Seems her self knowledge is limited.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Serene Highness

Moonmaiden23,

Thank you for this information. Your theory about Prince Philip's animosity seems to be spot on and astute. I wonder what Sarah did to make the Queen decide to turn away from her. The Queen seems to be somewhat tolerable of others and it must have been something terrible to make the Queen angry.

Quote:
Vassillisos Markos-yes you are correct, both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were very taken with Sarah in the early years of the marriage and I even saw a photo of Prince Charles happily giving her a kiss on the cheek at a polo match during the engagement.

After her adulterous affairs become public Prince Philip became her implacable enemy. Being a Naval officer who was away from his own wife at one time, the idea of ANY woman-let alone his daughter-in-law, betraying her husband in that manner was just unforgiveable to him I think.

The Queen is said to have not really cut the cord until some time later. She insisted on inviting Sarah and giving her a place of honor when Andrew was made a Knight Of The Garter, for example. But something happened later and HM seems to have washed her hands of her former-daughter-in-law.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I agree when I first read it I was like oh no but when I watched it I was like meh what's the big fuss? Anyways I actually liked this interview and I thought it was cute Andrew carries a photo of her with him. Thought the words from Beatrice and Eugenie was beautiful. So far from what I've seen in the documentary and this interview it seems as though she's finally getting to the cause of all her problems and that's great to hear. I definitely had some uhuh! moments I could relate with some of the things she was saying such as thinking someone is mad at you if they don't respond to your email right away.
Can you elaborate on the interview? I couldn't watch it. What were the words from Beatrice and Eugenie (did they show up on camera)? I'm curious!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Courtier

Perhaps, Sarah, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew, Duke of York shall or might re-marry once Prince Charles ascends the throne.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I also think they will remarry one day. Probably after HM is in her grave.
I've often wondered if Andrew and Sarah won't re-marry at some point and after HM is gone would seem to be logical. I've always thought there must still be something there as neither of them has re-married or even (as far as I know) had a serious relationship since their marriage ended.

I, along with others in this forum have always liked her but have cringed often at her behaviour. I just wish she could find her place in the world without irritating and offending so many others.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Gentry

Watched the show and it was ummm interesting.

So now based on todays show it seems LaOprah has acquired Sarah as a long term Oprah style help project.
From the stable of spin off shows Harpo (Oprah) produces Sarah will be receiving advice from her experts.
Finance is Suzy Orman
Relationship/live is Dr Phil, who is shown explaining to Sarah that she's an addict for approval and acceptance. (Sarah is thrilled now to have a name for her problem)
I wonder if Rachael Ray will teach her to cook or Nate Berkus will decorate her home?
But needless to say I know I will watch as I've always had a soft spot for Sarah as she is very much the crazy relative everyone has.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Gentry

What exactly, if anything, is holding them back from re-marrying now?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3kittiees View Post
Sarah could have part of the wedding day.
She could have stayed in London, been with her daughters as they got ready for the wedding and the evening party.
She could have spent the day with them -- as time allowed -- hearing about the events.

Instead she chose to leave & be miserable. All these years later & she is upset over her wedding day. Please!

I too am wondering what she did/sold to get the money for a trip to Thailand since she is broke/bankrupt (or so she says).
posterr above.
I liked Sarah when she first appeared -- I thought her pretty & she & Andrew looked happy and fun.

Sarah is one of those people who will never accept that her life is what it is because she made decisions.
I am really tired of her moaning & self-pity.
She is a mess & I wish the media would ignore her (I know they won't).
I think she is one of the most self-centered people I am aware of.
took herself off to a Thai spa - she is incredible this woman, needs to grow up - totally agree with the poster above. Both she and Andrew should move on, let him go Sarah - surely you have done enough damage.
Bit pathetic saying she wanted to get the girls dressed - they are young women, they don;t need you to help them - although with your fashion taste perhaps Beatrice would not have worn THE HAT.

Most people would cringe Sarah with all of the mistakes you have made, someone or name have always bailed you out. It is time you slipped quietly into the background. Stop the rubbish about "loving" that you and Diana weren't there - Diana is dead and couldn't be there, they didn't want you there = bit of a difference I think.

As for the last bride to walk up the aisle - isn't Westminster Abbey used for any weddings other than royal ones, if anybody can get married there - then I would imagine many thousands of BRIDES HAVE WALKED UP THAT AISLE SINCE 1986.

gET OVER YOURSELF AND GROW UP
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsnub View Post
What exactly, if anything, is holding them back from re-marrying now?
The Royal family would be my guess, as well as toe sucking incidents, finanacila woes and indiscreet meetings with people that you want to p-ay you money to access your former husband, just to name a few.

Money and inheritances I would say are a big part of the deal. Perhaps though Prince Andrew doesn't want her back
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Gentry

The Windsor Knot - Princess Beatrice to auction off royal wedding fascinator
a bit off subject but.... THE HAT hahaha

Closed Thread