The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
ZaJa's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York , United States
Posts: 123
I respect her feelings. I'm sure it must hurt given that was where they were married. I thought Andrew's face looked rather sad. Having said that I don't think this qualifies as a snub. If someone is not close to someone and doesn't invite them for a special moment in their lives its not a snub. Its simply life. William isn't close to Fergie and i'm sure she's never met Catherine. Having her there would have made the family look good but it would have been a distraction. I respect that she didn't make herself into a victim when speaking of this.
__________________

  #642  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Not to be funny or rude.....I know curiousity is a normal human feeling...but is that any of our business? Sarah is a private citizen as people like to remind us.
I disagree Sarah can't shut up about Sarah, so I honestly don't feel bad about wondering where she got the money to go to Thailand. If she doesn't want people wondering she should think about staying off Oprah. She is her own worst enemy.
__________________

  #643  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,113
I also disagree.
Fergie is presenting herself as a public figure, and as someone mentioned, you can't have it both ways: put yourself in the public eye when it's convenient and then request privacy when it's not.
  #644  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Evansville, United States
Posts: 4
I suspect that Fergie was not invited to the wedding because William did not want anything to take attention away from his bride. He appears to love Catherine and having an aunt with a colorful history (especially in the press) may have brought a negative note to a day that the happy couple saw as belonging to them.
  #645  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM
wa3kittiees's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tacoma, United States
Posts: 24
Sarah could have part of the wedding day.
She could have stayed in London, been with her daughters as they got ready for the wedding and the evening party.
She could have spent the day with them -- as time allowed -- hearing about the events.

Instead she chose to leave & be miserable. All these years later & she is upset over her wedding day. Please!

I too am wondering what she did/sold to get the money for a trip to Thailand since she is broke/bankrupt (or so she says).

I liked Sarah when she first appeared -- I thought her pretty & she & Andrew looked happy and fun.

Sarah is one of those people who will never accept that her life is what it is because she made decisions.
I am really tired of her moaning & self-pity.
She is a mess & I wish the media would ignore her (I know they won't).
I think she is one of the most self-centered people I am aware of.
  #646  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Because, IMO, it would reflect badly upon the Princesses. They should skirt this one and leave it at that. Otherwise they will be in a Catch-22 on what they do and don't say on Oprah. Once you open that can of worms, you cannot get the worms back into the box.
The last place ANY Royal princess should be is on Oprah, no disrespect because Oprah is wonderful at what she does.

But it was unseemly when Rania of Jordan was yakking it up, and I can't stand the Duchess of York spilling her guts either. She has no choice now, because Oprah is her employer.

But no. The Queen and Prince Andrew should just say no to the idea of these young ladies on a reality show.

ICAM with the poster who stated that Sarah should suck it up and realize that most of her problems are because of her own lack of discretion and bad judgement!

Where will this madness end???
  #647  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
ZaJa's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York , United States
Posts: 123
Rania of Jordon speaks about issues that matter. Its not the same as a woman who uses her tenuous connection to royalty to make a living.
  #648  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
Again we will agree to disagree. I get where everyone is coming from that Sarah is a public figure HOWEVER

unless the British system (which she never really declared bankruptcy) is requesting a reporting of her finances (much like the US system does when someone declares bankruptcy...can't go on ridiculous shopping sprees, etc.) ....Sarah doesn't need to tell people how she financed a trip to Thailand. Now again, I am tired of the woe is me Sarah just like everyone else and it may be tacky to spend money and live high off the hog when you can't pay your bills. But she is not answerable to us. She might be answerable to the people that she didn't pay. If that is the case, and they are wondering the same, if they have legal means to sue her, get some back, thats up to them. If not, its just another bad move on her part.
__________________
.

  #649  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender
She also wasn't the last bride down that aisle. Where on earth does she come up with this stuff?
Actually I think she literally meant the Abbey aisle not just the bridal aisle and if I'm not mistaken she was the last bride down that aisle wasn't she.....?
  #650  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
She was technically the last Royal British Royal Bride to walk down the aisle in Westminister Abbey. Camilla, Sophie Wessex, Sophie Winkelman, Lady Paola Windsor, Clare (Countess of Ultser) Autumn, Serena Linley (ladies who married into the BRF since 1986) all married elsewhere. As did Windsor brides.....Lady Rose and Davina Windsor, Lady Helen Taylor, Lady Sarah Chatto, Marina Mowatt, etc.

So technically until last Friday, she was right.
__________________
.

  #651  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Vasillisos Markos's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crete, United States
Posts: 1,160
I am probably one of the few people in the States who has never been a fan of Oprah and never will. Oprah, like Sarah, is totally self-involved and impressed with herself. I have no doubt that Oprah set this up for the ratings and knows the questions to ask of Sarah because . . . Sarah will be Sarah. It is too comical, like leading a lamb to the slaughter.
  #652  
Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I am probably one of the few people in the States who has never been a fan of Oprah and never will. Oprah, like Sarah, is totally self-involved and impressed with herself. I have no doubt that Oprah set this up for the ratings and knows the questions to ask of Sarah because . . . Sarah will be Sarah. It is too comical, like leading a lamb to the slaughter.
I agree with you as I've never been an Oprah fan either. Oprah sure didn't get to where she is by being a hard hitting journalist but rather focused on sensationalism which then gave rise to the totally inane shows like Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake and what not. I have seen on occasion that Oprah has done a well conducted interview (I did tune in to watch her interview with J.K. Rowling and thought that was well done), but to me most of the shows are geared to an audience that wants to get the dirt on someone's personal issues and troubles. Perfect venue for a "poor little ol' me" Sarah. The sad thing is that once this label has been attached to Sarah, it will be virtually impossible for her to be rid of. After the interview with Oprah Wednesday and the airing of "Finding Sarah" are filed in the archives, a well balanced, respectable and mature Sarah will have absolutely no appeal whatsoever in the media. To stay in this limelight, she would have to continue to "goof up". This is the reason I would not like to see her daughters anywhere near being involved with their mother as it will not put a favorable label on B&E for the future whether they go into private careers or into royal duties (which seem unlikely at this time).

What astounds me is that if we read back to the months during the engagement of W&K, there were statements reported that Sarah did not expect to be invited to the wedding and she also turned down offers to commentate on it. Now to be on national TV and making statements after the wedding to make it seem that she was perhaps sad and left out and such boggles my mind. I'm curious enough now to actually watch this Oprah episode.
  #653  
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 AM
jdcharlie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: :), United States
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Again we will agree to disagree. I get where everyone is coming from that Sarah is a public figure HOWEVER

unless the British system (which she never really declared bankruptcy) is requesting a reporting of her finances (much like the US system does when someone declares bankruptcy...can't go on ridiculous shopping sprees, etc.) ....Sarah doesn't need to tell people how she financed a trip to Thailand. Now again, I am tired of the woe is me Sarah just like everyone else and it may be tacky to spend money and live high off the hog when you can't pay your bills. But she is not answerable to us. She might be answerable to the people that she didn't pay. If that is the case, and they are wondering the same, if they have legal means to sue her, get some back, thats up to them. If not, its just another bad move on her part.
I think part of the issue is that Sarah is currently making her living off of the public's sympathy (and has been for quite some time). This new venture is all about the public sympathizing with her life, her struggles with her finances and her struggle to figure it all out. Her finances are certainly in the middle of it all - the new venture started when she tried to sell access to a member of the BRF because she needed money. So, while I agree that she's under no legal obligation to bare her finances, the public who is buying what she is selling has a right to ask. And I'm sure people will find out the answer - for better or worse - when they watch her new reality show.
  #654  
Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3kittiees View Post
Sarah could have part of the wedding day.
She could have stayed in London, been with her daughters as they got ready for the wedding and the evening party.
She could have spent the day with them -- as time allowed -- hearing about the events.
Didn't all the royals leave from Buckingham Palace? Sarah isn't welcome there, as far as I know, so she couldn't really have been with her daughters that morning. Still, there was no need to go to Thailand. It sounds like a petulant child flouncing off because she couldn't be the centre of attention.

Royal wedding: Sarah, Duchess of York speaks of 'difficult' snub - Telegraph

I found a video clip of the interview here. When Sarah talks about Diana, this is how the full sentence sounded (to me): "I sort of love the feeling that - Diana and I both weren't there - but I'm here to say how proud she would have been." In other words I think Sarah was saying, "I love the fact that even though Diana and I both weren't there in person, I'm at least here to watch the wedding on TV and see how proud her boys would have made her." I think (hope?) that's what she meant.

In the interview, you can see how Oprah tries to draw out Sarah's self-pity: "How hurtful was it to not be invited?" (and then a little smirk). Not "how did you feel about not being invited" but "how hurtful was it?" As long as people like Oprah give Sarah a platform for airing her woes, Sarah will continue to do it.

I still like Sarah and always will. That is why I hate to see her playing up her worst traits (the self-pity and need for attention) for the sake of money. And I despise the people who take advantage of those traits in Sarah (or anyone) because it makes some cash for them. Sarah has some great qualities, but the way things are going right now, we're only seeing her worst ones.
  #655  
Old 05-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,692
Sarah had said before the wedding she didn't expect to be invited. It would have been very admirable of Sarah to take the high road and when Oprah brought up the wedding, to say, "I watched the ceremony and it was lovely." and then refuse to take Oprah's bait and leave it. It would have been a classy act on Sarah's part.
  #656  
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 AM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
'It was so difficult': Fergie reveals her hurt over Royal Wedding snub | Mail Online

Well, this article mentions quotes from the upcoming Oprah interview but says nothing about Beatrice and Eugenie being there.

It definitely makes sense that Andrew looked upset at the wedding, if he'd been talking to Sarah (who was upset that she wasn't there) beforehand. Alas, Sarah only has herself to blame.
" To get the girls dressed, and to go as a family"- Your daughters are grown women, for heaven's sake! They can dress themselves!
" I really love that Diana and I weren't there." Excuse me?!
__________________
One of my friends is fundraising for and hoping to adopt at least 2 of the 3 of these special needs orphans. Please give/ help now!
Go to Reece's Rainbow, and donate torwards the adoption of Holland, Starr, and Grace- Ann!
My avatar is my RH- that is the exact RH I have in my heart constantly!
  #657  
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 AM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I particularly liked this part:

'I really love the feeling that sort of Diana and I both weren't there,' Ferguson, who has often spoken of her close bond with with the late princess, told Oprah.

IIRC, were they not estranged at the time of Diana's death? And - Fergie "loves" the feeling that "Diana & I both weren't there"?!?!?

Wow. Words kind of fail me. I mean, as long as Fergie - the ex-wife of the groom's uncle - was out in the cold, why on earth should Diana, the mother of the groom, have been invited? Good thing she was dead, eh? Bet no one missed Diana, or at least not as much as they missed Fergie.



Does she seriously think that her being snubbed by the BRF is on par with, and places her in good company with, Diana's exclusion?

Diana didn't come because, you know, she's dead. How in God's name is that a situation to "love?" Sarah didn't come because she is divorced from her meal ticket and is a walking diaster and architect of her own downfall.
Thanks for writing exactly how I feel. That statement about Diana bothers me so much, I do not have words, or at least none that are acceptable to print on the forum.
__________________
One of my friends is fundraising for and hoping to adopt at least 2 of the 3 of these special needs orphans. Please give/ help now!
Go to Reece's Rainbow, and donate torwards the adoption of Holland, Starr, and Grace- Ann!
My avatar is my RH- that is the exact RH I have in my heart constantly!
  #658  
Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 AM
dilsnub's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Panama City, United States
Posts: 64
"there's one in every family"
  #659  
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,007
I'm another person who doesn't worship at the 'church of Oprah.' When her program first started, I liked it; but as she got more into "spirituality" and started telling people what to read and what to believe and encouraging people to think of themselves as victims, I grew to dislike what she does.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I am probably one of the few people in the States who has never been a fan of Oprah and never will.
  #660  
Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,940
I am really very frustrated about Sarah, Duchess of York and feel very angry about it because of the way she decribes her relationship with Andrew. Once again she has mentioned that she, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are very much a unit together and how Andrew 'phoned her on the wedding day and said not to worry, how perfect their own wedding was etc. For goodness sake the pair of them should bloody well get married again and have done with it. There was absolutely no reason I can think of why they ever divorced in the first place. She knew Andrew would be away for months on end before she married him, she knew there were a bunch of back-stabbling bullies at the palace (Diana would have told her) and quite frankly she's more in the public eye now than she was when she was a member of the royal family. As a British citizen who is very much a monarchist and love the royal family, I would very much be in favour of an immediate re-marriage between Andrew and Sarah and draw a very thick line under everything that has happend in the past. I applaud Sarah for having tried to go it alone by divorcing and yes very well done in trying out the various business projects etc BUT it hasn't worked and all that's left are constant interviews on Opera and shady dealings. Come on Sarah, you've got a husband and two kids waiting for you back in Britain, get back here now!

Phew, had to get all that off my chest!
__________________

__________________
JACK
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 Zonk The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 864 12-04-2016 04:35 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 04:30 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events diana duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall daytime fashion dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria 39th birthday princess victoria hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stewart succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises