The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Glad she is apparently in fine form, but still think it best if she fades into a quiet life away from the public eye and especially that she stops talking to the press about her ex-husband, their relationship and their children.
With Sarah it seems one is always waiting for the other shoe to drop....what will she say next, what will she do next.
A quiet life in the country would probably be best for her and all concerned.
But that raises the issue as to what is she to do for money to live on and to even acquire the house in which to live.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
But that raises the issue as to what is she to do for money to live on and to even acquire the house in which to live.
I guess we could found a charity between us with that aim and ask all people who are annoyed with her to contribute. Thus we could check how many people are really, seriously that angered by her....

I for one would give 10 EUR in case she would really retire from public life when she gets enough money.....

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Courtier

Those who are 'annoyed' with the Duchess hold opinions predicated on the campaign of one section of the press, alone.

Missing from these low-brow articles is any acknowledgement of Sarah's long-term and continuing international charitable good works, for which she's received quite a few awards.

Why should she retire? She's doing some valuable work in the world for which she deserves great credit, and in those circles which matter, gets it.

She is not beyond criticism of course, but it should be tempered with fairness and actual knowledge and insight.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Missing from these low-brow articles is any acknowledgement of Sarah's long-term and continuing international charitable good works, for which she's received quite a few awards.
Okay, here goes...is it absolutely certain that Sarah Ferguson gets no remuneration for charity work?

No stipend, no funding, no expenses?

Because even for non-profits, considerable sums are ear-marked for "administration."
And I seem to remember criticism that one of her charities, at least, got a very small percentage of the funds raised.

(Before everyone jumps on me, this is a question, and not an attack!)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Okay, here goes...is it absolutely certain that Sarah Ferguson gets no remuneration for charity work?

No stipend, no funding, no expenses?

Because even for non-profits, considerable sums are ear-marked for "administration."
And I seem to remember criticism that one of her charities, at least, got a very small percentage of the funds raised.

(Before everyone jumps on me, this is a question, and not an attack!)
It would depend on what her role was within the charity. As a patron she would get no remuneration. If she has an administrative role than she would get paid. All the charities I have seen her name linked to have her listed as a Patron and thus receiving no payment for that role - the opposite in fact as Patrons are expected to assist the charity by giving money as well as raising it. Now how does she raise money for her charities - mainly through giving speeches etc for which she is paid but for that to work she must still be a public figure. I mean who would pay 200 pounds to here Joe Blow speak about poor children? However many people would pay 200 pounds to here Sarah, Duchess of York speak about those same children. After the expenses of the evening Sarah would get some money and the rest would go to the charity.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

She has to earn a living somehow.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Depends on what kind of style she wants to live. If she lived quietly in the countryside, her divorce settlement should be enough with the odd earnings from books and other "quiet" occupations. Okay, that's not her style obviously, but thinking of the lots and lots of people who lost out money to her, she should really think about changing her lifestyle, at least for a time.
She could even live quietly in London with a little bit of help from others but she should really stop to be so flamboyant and "rich" in her way to live. That's pure scorn, she gives others the feeling she is sneering on them and even taunting them.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

She has two daughters who are TRH. Is Sarah to live in a cottage with the two princesses and their attendants? Her divorce settlement was not that generous and it's been 15 years.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator

As a reminder, discussion about Sarah's divorce settlement should be held here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...k-30602-2.html .

Lets focus on her Current Events.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Majesty

I agree. Her flamboyance isn't helping her image. How does she want to be seen? As a responsible, sensible woman who tries to help others and is a good mother to her daughters? Or as a woman who lives the high life without paying her bills in full? I don't think that people expect her to show up at public events in a nun's habit, but I do think that showing up at high-profile restaurants and so on shows a lack of common sense. Sarah has a lot of gifts that she could share with the world--her speaking talent, her writing abilities, the things she's discovered in world travels and during her time as a Royal Highness--but the impression that people have is of a good-time girl who doesn't care about the people she's let down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
She could even live quietly in London with a little bit of help from others but she should really stop to be so flamboyant and "rich" in her way to live.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I agree. Her flamboyance isn't helping her image. How does she want to be seen? As a responsible, sensible woman who tries to help others and is a good mother to her daughters? Or as a woman who lives the high life without paying her bills in full? I don't think that people expect her to show up at public events in a nun's habit, but I do think that showing up at high-profile restaurants and so on shows a lack of common sense. Sarah has a lot of gifts that she could share with the world--her speaking talent, her writing abilities, the things she's discovered in world travels and during her time as a Royal Highness--but the impression that people have is of a good-time girl who doesn't care about the people she's let down.

I actually think that people would like to see her in sackcloth and ashes and on the streets - including many here.

Yes I mean that - there are people who would like to see her totally destitute.

As she was close to bankruptcy she obviously has none of her divorce settlement left, nor any of the money she made in the first 12 years after her divorce. She lost it all in the GFC.

Like many others who lost a lot at that time she can only hope to rebuild and she needs to continue to live a relatively high life to keep her name and profile in the public domain so that she is still in demand for speeches etc in order to bring in an income. Her writing might bring in a small amount.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't want to see her destitute, I just want her to go away. Live quietly. Grow up.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She has two daughters who are TRH. Is Sarah to live in a cottage with the two princesses and their attendants? Her divorce settlement was not that generous and it's been 15 years.
Her daughters are grown up and will soon be embarking on their own life. They can live at Royal Lodge or in apartments of their own in London. Sarah does not need to live with them or be a part of their official life.

Quote:
I am sure a nice cottage could be found for her in Lincolnshire away from the maddening crowds and the press, at a not too steep price. Probably Andrew or The Queen would agree to lease it for her if she agreed to go away and not talk again. She could still write her childrens books or historical novels while living there which could give her an adequate income for a quiet life in rural village.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Her daughters are grown up and will soon be embarking on their own life. They can live at Royal Lodge or in apartments of their own in London. Sarah does not need to live with them or be a part of their official life.

I am sure a nice cottage could be found for her in Lincolnshire away from the maddening crowds and the press, at a not too steep price. Probably Andrew or The Queen would agree to lease it for her if she agreed to go away and not talk again. She could still write her childrens books or historical novels while living there which could give her an adequate income for a quiet life in rural village.

She wouldn't make much money from simply writing books unless she is also out their promoting them.

They also have to appeal and writing history books simply doesn't make enough money for anyone. They need to do other things e.g. be a lecturer/professor or TV documentary maker. Writers of children's books also need to be promoting these books.

Being an author actually involves being involved with the media.

The other thing is can she really write? I have read some of her stuff but would never pay money to buy it as it simply isn't up to the standard I demand of the books I buy.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Majesty

I'm not one of them. I'd like to see her making a decent living. I don't mind seeing her promoting herself in order to sell her books or however she earns her living. I do think, however, that she could go to restaurants where the paparazzi aren't known to lie in wait.

Quote:
I actually think that people would like to see her in sackcloth and ashes and on the streets - including many here.

Yes I mean that - there are people who would like to see her totally destitute.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The other thing is can she really write? I have read some of her stuff but would never pay money to buy it as it simply isn't up to the standard I demand of the books I buy.

Doesn't she get some help from a ghost writer?
(I've always believed she did).

But I agree with you that it's unlikely she could ever make a living as a writer; for one thing, those accusations of plagiarism seemed to put an end to the Budgie books, and I don't think her other ventures have sold well.

Perhaps she could publish a society column in one of the magazines like Town & Country? She does know just about everyone.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhpas she could get a job in publishing, a la Jackie Onassis, as she had before her marriage. That would provide a descent income and no need to talk to the press or live in a grand style. Or she could go back to school, even by extenson courses, and prepare herself for a normal working life earning her own money and living her own life out of the public life. The Duchess of Kent was able to become a music teacher in a school in Hull without it being common knowledge, she just became Kate Kent and went about living her life.
If one doesnt want to attract public attention it is quite possible to do so if you dont go places or do things that attract that kind of attention.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

I'd like to make a point here in relation to a couple of the things people have been discussing - Sarah's charity work, and the lifestyle that some seenm to find so offensive.
What often escapes attention is how the 2 are linked. For example: On 5th April this year, Sarah attended an event in Toronto called "Suzanne Rogers Presenrs Marchesa", a glamorous, exclusive event in which was delivered in a limo, wore beautiful clothes, and sipped champagne with the great and the good. "self-indulgence", say those who hate her, "a slap in the face to those who lost money because of her her" etc. etc.
But this was a charity event at which Sarah played charity auctioneer and raised nearly $1m Can. Not bad work. And how many of those who came to the party did so in the hope of meeting the Duchess of York there? How many of those she chatted to and charmed, and who enjoyed her company, may have bid more because of that?

It's fair to say that quite a few of the events Sarah attends have a charitable raison d'etre, and her presence helps them raise money. And even when she's out and about at non-charitable events, the network of people she gets to know are people whom she can call on for help with her own charity projects. Plus, her value as a charity patron is partly dependant on her being "visible" - by being in the public eye, her support and her attempts to raise awareness of issues have more legs.

Of course I'm certainly not saying that there's a grand ulterior motive for Sarah's every foray into society - she clearly also wants to enjoy herself, have fun, and lead a healthy social life. What's wrong with that? But the net result is good for both her, and for those that she is able to help through her position. (And of course that's without even mentioning her "front line" visits to hospitals, orphanages, etc.)

If she was forced into some country retirement, more people than just Sarah would lose out...
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
I'd like to make a point here in relation to a couple of the things people have been discussing - Sarah's charity work, and the lifestyle that some seenm to find so offensive.
What often escapes attention is how the 2 are linked. For example: On 5th April this year, Sarah attended an event in Toronto called "Suzanne Rogers Presenrs Marchesa", a glamorous, exclusive event in which was delivered in a limo, wore beautiful clothes, and sipped champagne with the great and the good. "self-indulgence", say those who hate her, "a slap in the face to those who lost money because of her her" etc. etc.
But this was a charity event at which Sarah played charity auctioneer and raised nearly $1m Can. Not bad work. And how many of those who came to the party did so in the hope of meeting the Duchess of York there? How many of those she chatted to and charmed, and who enjoyed her company, may have bid more because of that?

It's fair to say that quite a few of the events Sarah attends have a charitable raison d'etre, and her presence helps them raise money. And even when she's out and about at non-charitable events, the network of people she gets to know are people whom she can call on for help with her own charity projects. Plus, her value as a charity patron is partly dependant on her being "visible" - by being in the public eye, her support and her attempts to raise awareness of issues have more legs.

Of course I'm certainly not saying that there's a grand ulterior motive for Sarah's every foray into society - she clearly also wants to enjoy herself, have fun, and lead a healthy social life. What's wrong with that? But the net result is good for both her, and for those that she is able to help through her position. (And of course that's without even mentioning her "front line" visits to hospitals, orphanages, etc.)

If she was forced into some country retirement, more people than just Sarah would lose out...
I agree with everything you said except for the part where you ask what's wrong with her wanting to enjoy herself. The problem is that she's not the one paying for it and until she can maintain the lifestyle she should lie low from a social point of view.

Enjoy the perks of getting to dress up nicely and live it up when you can honestly connect it to your work, more power to her for being able to, but avoid it otherwise until you can get your own hear about water..
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Courtier

So what will Sarah be doing during the Royal wedding? IIRC, Dame Barbara Cartland, also notably snubbed from a Royal wedding, threw a party to honor veterans to celebrate the occasion. I remember thinking that it was quite a graceful gesture.