The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
You cannot compare apples (Sarah) and oranges (teachers).
I disagree I think it says something sad about our society when famous plp get paid thousands/millions for 'nothing' ( and I am using air quotes ) and teachers who educate the future and Drs who save lives get squat - jmo

Yes it's Sarahs job so she has a right to do it and I agree with u in that sense but still think it says something sad about the importance society places in celebrities (which in my book Sarah is over being a Rpysl)
__________________

  #462  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,692
Whether it's Sarah Ferguson, Prince Charles, or Warren Buffet, I don't think anyone is worth being paid thousands of dollars to speak. I'll even go farther and state that the millions of dollars movie stars and sports figures receive is absolutely ridiculous.
If someone such as Sarah is in demand, I'm not saying she shouldn't be compensated, but not to the tune of five figures or more to stand up and speak for 10-15 minutes, again, I feel that way for all speakers.
__________________

  #463  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Whether it's Sarah Ferguson, Prince Charles, or Warren Buffet, I don't think anyone is worth being paid thousands of dollars to speak. I'll even go farther and state that the millions of dollars movie stars and sports figures receive is absolutely ridiculous.
If someone such as Sarah is in demand, I'm not saying she shouldn't be compensated, but not to the tune of five figures or more to stand up and speak for 10-15 minutes, again, I feel that way for all speakers.

Having a family member who does make a couple of thousand when he speaks I disagree.

He spends hours, if not days, working on the speech, researching the people he is meeting, the cause he is speaking about or for etc.

It isn't just the 30 minutes or so of the speech for which he is compensated but the hours of preparation - Time = Money.

No one has to ask him to speak but if they do they know how much it will cost and that he will do detailed background research to be able to be comfortable in that setting.
  #464  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I also don't think its fair to say that she is flashing her daughter's inheirtance by going to an expensive restuarant.

So because Sarah had money problem she can never go to a restuarant where the average meal is above a certain figure? Who's to say that her daughter's paid for the meal? She supposedly made some money from that Oprah show and goodness knows what else.

Is that how Sarah is going to be judged for now on....she had money problems so she can never be seen doing anything (shopping, on vacation, buying anything over a certain figure) that involves money?

I mean, its that realistic? She should just eat at middle income places?

My point here is that she has recently had a very public brush with a near insolvency situation. There were many creditors who did not receive all that was due to them, and there were people who lost their jobs because of Sarah's situation. Being regularly seen out in some of London's most expensive restaurants, often with your daughters, is really a bit of a slap in the face of all those people. The source of her funding is not about to go away in a hurry, especially when it has recently been revealed that she borrowed from Epstein.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Is that how Sarah is going to be judged for now on....she had money problems so she can never be seen doing anything (shopping, on vacation, buying anything over a certain figure) that involves money?
As to how Sarah will be judged is entirely down to her actions. I am sure nobody would object to Sarah having a nice meal every now and then, but to regularly be seen at flash restaurants, and in a chauffeur driven Bentley is really inviting criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post

She placed the topic into play. So it's a fair topic.
  #465  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 AM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel

My point here is that she has recently had a very public brush with a near insolvency situation. There were many creditors who did not receive all that was due to them, and there were people who lost their jobs because of Sarah's situation. Being regularly seen out in some of London's most expensive restaurants, often with your daughters, is really a bit of a slap in the face of all those people. The source of her funding is not about to go away in a hurry, especially when it has recently been revealed that she borrowed from Epstein.

As to how Sarah will be judged is entirely down to her actions. I am sure nobody would object to Sarah having a nice meal every now and then, but to regularly be seen at flash restaurants, and in a chauffeur driven Bentley is really inviting criticism.
Agreed...sometimes image isn't always accurate but it is what's conveyed to plp and how we view her (accurate or not) is how she will be looked at....it's all PR
  #466  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

Having a family member who does make a couple of thousand when he speaks I disagree.

He spends hours, if not days, working on the speech, researching the people he is meeting, the cause he is speaking about or for etc.

It isn't just the 30 minutes or so of the speech for which he is compensated but the hours of preparation - Time = Money.

No one has to ask him to speak but if they do they know how much it will cost and that he will do detailed background research to be able to be comfortable in that setting.
I'm sure your family member doesn't speak about fluff but rather something substainal. Here a University paid Snookie more $$& to discuss tanning,drinking and hooking up then they paid Toni Morrison.... Tell me that isn't ridiculous
  #467  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I'm sure your family member doesn't speak about fluff but rather something substainal. Here a University paid Snookie more $$& to discuss tanning,drinking and hooking up then they paid Toni Morrison.... Tell me that isn't ridiculous

Who or what is a 'Snookie'?

Actually to a bunch of undergrads that topic would be a great one - if the topic also was to go into the dangers of exactly those issues - that they can in fact be deadly.
  #468  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
She's on' the MTV realty tv show...Jersey Shores...and she recently spoke at Rutgers University. Turns out she was paid more to speak than Pultizer winner Toni Morrison, who admitted that she didn't charge her normal fee of 64K because she used to teach at the university and felt some nostalgia. Its getting some media attention in the States.

Really...whether or not Sarah (or other speakers) are paid a small, medium or extremely large sum is not Sarah's problem. I respect teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc and while I agree that they deserve more pay.......again...its not Sarah's fault or problem that society doesn't pay them enough.

Let's see...what else should we blame or criticize Sarah for.... I miss the good old days in this forum when we could discuss Sarah's positive and negative aspects but in an objective matter.

Honestly, this forum is not so fun to read or moderate...its the same ole same ole people talking about stuff that happened fifteen years ago...how Sarah should act with her children and how she should conduct herself in public because of financial issues (preferably never be seen on vacation, eating out in public, taking a mode of transportation that isn't public, etc.).
__________________
.

  #469  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
She's on' the MTV realty tv show...Jersey Shores...and she recently spoke at Rutgers University. Turns out she was paid more to speak than Pultizer winner Toni Morrison, who admitted that she didn't charge her normal fee of 64K because she used to teach at the university and felt some nostalgia. Its getting some media attention in the States.
Thank you for that. I don't wathc reality TV at all so that is probably why I have never heard of her.

Quote:
Really...whether or not Sarah (or other speakers) are paid a small, medium or extremely large sum is not Sarah's problem. I respect teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc and while I agree that they deserve more pay.......again...its not Sarah's fault or problem that society doesn't pay them enough.

Let's see...what else should we blame or criticize Sarah for.... I miss the good old days in this forum when we could discuss Sarah's positive and negative aspects but in an objective matter.

Honestly, this forum is not so fun to read or moderate...its the same ole same ole people talking about stuff that happened fifteen years ago...how Sarah should act with her children and how she should conduct herself in public because of financial issues (preferably never be seen on vacation, eating out in public, taking a mode of transportation that isn't public, etc.).

I thought it was only me that was finding not only this forum but this board not as enjoyable as it used to be with the vitriol or saccharine, depending on the royal concerned but...
  #470  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Let's see...what else should we blame or criticize Sarah for.... I miss the good old days in this forum when we could discuss Sarah's positive and negative aspects but in an objective matter.

Honestly, this forum is not so fun to read or moderate...its the same ole same ole people talking about stuff that happened fifteen years ago...how Sarah should act with her children and how she should conduct herself in public because of financial issues (preferably never be seen on vacation, eating out in public, taking a mode of transportation that isn't public, etc.).
I do agree that the general tenor on the forums is rather different these days, and I often find the relative level of knowledge is lower than it used to be.

That said, IMO, your reference to the general Sarah bashing is not particularly justified. There has been absolutely no reference to events of 15 years ago that I am aware of - the issues raised all relate to the last 6 months.

I used to be very appreciative of the way Sarah had apparently rebuilt her life in the US as an independent professional, and felt she was a good role model for her daughters. Unfortunately, the events of the last 6 months or so have caused me to change my view of her quite considerably. You also may not have noticed but just last week I had posted (in relation to Eugenie's 21st birthday celebrations) that sometimes the York girls are unfairly criticised.
  #471  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
Actually Muriel...those posts have recently been deleted...as they have nothing to do with Sarah's Current Events.

I share your sentiments about Sarah...she was definitely a favorite of mine in the years past and I will admit that I am VERY VERY disappointed in her recent behavior. I think that the criticism of some of Sarah's actions are very justified...what i disagree with is the tone...and the unrealistic belief that Sarah should simply sotp doing certain things because people can't get past her financial mishaps. She shouldn't be seen on a holiday, at a fancy restaurant, in a nice car, with a new purse, etc.

I don't expect everyone to like Sarah if you don't, I don't expect gushy posts all the time but some of the burdens and thoughts that are thrown out there are really just too much.
__________________
.

  #472  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think that the criticism of some of Sarah's actions are very justified...what i disagree with is the tone...and the unrealistic belief that Sarah should simply sotp doing certain things because people can't get past her financial mishaps. She shouldn't be seen on a holiday, at a fancy restaurant, in a nice car, with a new purse, etc.
I appreciate your argument, but with respect, Sarah has been seen at a lot of very expensive restaurants in London in the not so distant past. Nobody will resent a holiday or two a year, but when you get to 5-6 jaunts a year, people will start to question who is financing them.
  #473  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
I understand your point especially in light of her debts being paid by someone with dubious association

HOWEVER

I think the public certainly has the right to question public officials (i.e. those who utilize public tax supported funds) on how many expensive dinners, vacations they take but Sarah as everyone likes to point out is a private individual with a public life.

Unless she is required by any court system or Parliament to account for every nickel and dime she spends its really none of our business. We can say that its bad taste to flaunt money after her businesses failed and people weren't paid, and it is. But she doesn't owe us an explanation on how she lives.
__________________
.

  #474  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM
FergieFan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I disagree I think it says something sad about our society when famous plp get paid thousands/millions for 'nothing' ( and I am using air quotes ) and teachers who educate the future and Drs who save lives get squat - jmo

Yes it's Sarahs job so she has a right to do it and I agree with u in that sense but still think it says something sad about the importance society places in celebrities (which in my book Sarah is over being a Rpysl)

As a teacher, I can honestly say that I don't begrudge Sarah a penny of what she earns for public speaking. Of course I'd personally like to earn more, as we all would, but if you accept the capitalist system in which we live, you have to accept that in the private sector, the fair price for a persons' services is whatever another person will pay for them.

If you want the Duchess of York to speak at a function, you pay top dollar because there is only one Duchess of York. Scarcity in the marketplace leads to higher price. As a public sector worker, my pay is something that needs to be decided by the society in which I live - I can argue that society doesn't accord enough value to what I do, but that's an argument based on other issues than simple economics.

As to what people say about the restaurants, the holidays, the chauffeur driven car, etc etc... I think what people sometimes refuse to understand is that Sarah's lifestyle, as defined by her position and her expectations over the last 25 years or so, is inevitably going to be very different from ours. She is part of a social elite. That's natural, and that's not something she should be ashamed of, cowering away from the cameras, lest she should be judged by those who've no right to judge her.

Judge her on her charity work, her passion to help others, her books, her love for her daughters, not by some facile meaningless rubbish about what restaurants she goes to, or how often she goes on holiday!
__________________
"There is no triumph without struggle, no wisdom without misjudgement, no character without getting knocked down and picking yourself up again".
- Sarah, Duchess of York
from Finding Sarah: A Duchess' Journey to Find Herself (2011: Simon & Schuster, New York)
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
  #475  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I understand your point especially in light of her debts being paid by someone with dubious association

HOWEVER

I think the public certainly has the right to question public officials (i.e. those who utilize public tax supported funds) on how many expensive dinners, vacations they take but Sarah as everyone likes to point out is a private individual with a public life.

Unless she is required by any court system or Parliament to account for every nickel and dime she spends its really none of our business. We can say that its bad taste to flaunt money after her businesses failed and people weren't paid, and it is. But she doesn't owe us an explanation on how she lives.
I agree that as Sarah is a private citizen, the public really ought not to question her finances. The issue only arises as she is so joined at the hip with the Duke of York, and more obviously, her daughters, who no doubt have inherited reasonable sums of money from HM and the DoE.
  #476  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
NotAPretender's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WPB FL/Muttontown NY, United States
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
...its the same ole same ole people talking about stuff that happened fifteen years ago...how Sarah should act with her children and how she should conduct herself in public because of financial issues (preferably never be seen on vacation, eating out in public, taking a mode of transportation that isn't public, etc.).
Zonk - it's not things from 15 years ago. You've touched on the very point. Fifteen years, twenty years, twenty five years that Sarah has been dancing in the public light and she has yet to do more than get herself in over her head in every respect, bleat and cry, then do it again.

I applauded her the first time that she dragged herself out of debt. I loved her brilliant Weight Watchers ad where she dumped a pitcher of water out a window on a presumed reporter.

So fifteen years later, twenty years later - she has learned nothing. What she herself serves up for us to discuss - is what we are discussing. Her utter inability to control her greed which leads her into financial trouble.
__________________
"Me, your Highness? On the whole, I wish I'd stayed in Tunbridge Wells"
  #477  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 PM
NotAPretender's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WPB FL/Muttontown NY, United States
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
....She is part of a social elite. That's natural, and that's not something she should be ashamed of, cowering away from the cameras, lest she should be judged by those who've no right to judge her.
I can assure you that there are many, many genuine members of the "social elite" who live quiet lives. They certainly attend many of the same venues and events that she would like to attend, but I can assure you that their quiet manner is not "cowering" away from cameras.

She chooses to live flashily and somewhat trashily, and cares not who funds her frolics just as long as it never stops. Part of that "scene" is being "seen."

The only think that the true "social elite" would "cower" from, would be being lumped in with her in the minds of the general public.

It's social season in WPB. I'll ask a few to see.
__________________
"Me, your Highness? On the whole, I wish I'd stayed in Tunbridge Wells"
  #478  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,007
Right. It's the same with a soloist for a wedding or a music group playing for an event. The person isn't being paid for singing a couple of songs. The fee includes practice time, years of music study, travel to and from the site, proper clothing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

No one has to ask him to speak but if they do they know how much it will cost and that he will do detailed background research to be able to be comfortable in that setting.
  #479  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,007
True. There could be people gnashing their teeth whenever they see Sarah living the high life in spite of her insolvency. People have helped her with her debts because of who she is, but what about the office worker who loses a job because their employer is owed money by Sarah or people like her?


Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My point here is that she has recently had a very public brush with a near insolvency situation. There were many creditors who did not receive all that was due to them, and there were people who lost their jobs because of Sarah's situation.
  #480  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,007
I have a lot of respect for Sarah's charity work and her kind heart. She's a fine public speaker as well. However, I do believe that she's not helping her cause by being "out on the town" so much. I wouldn't call these reports "meaningless rubbish." They aren't made out of thin air.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
Judge her on her charity work, her passion to help others, her books, her love for her daughters, not by some facile meaningless rubbish about what restaurants she goes to, or how often she goes on holiday!
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 18: January 2014 Zonk The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 864 12-04-2016 04:35 AM
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 04:30 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece infanta elena style kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel 2015 nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince philip princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess tatiana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima gowns queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stockholm succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises