The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Majesty

Yes, that's true about the pyramid lady. Madame Vasso: RootsWeb: WORLD-OBITS-L KORESIS; Vissiki--[Madame Vasso]--MAY/2005--GREEK

I'm not sure about Diana seeing the same "healer", though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
IAnd I believe Mermaid was referring to several books where Sarah was reported to sit beneath a pyramid. (Mer, wasn't it the same gal Diana went to as well?)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that Sarah is bound to kick at rules, no matter what those rules are. In my opinion, she's attracted to New Age beliefs because she can pick and choose what she accepts and what she doesn't. Religions such as Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have written rules of conduct and basic things that must be believed in order for a person to say that they practice that religion. New Age religion takes what it wants from the spiritual buffet. You want to worship angels? Fine. You want to rely on crystals? Great. You want to sit under a pyramid? Can do. The possibilities are endless.
I think that what you say is partly true--Sarah doesn't like rules; but I also don't think she is committed to any form of spirituality, Eastern/New Age or otherwise. I would call Sarah a spiritual "seeker" more than anything else. I think that, aside from the rules, the reason she doesn't appear to show much interest in traditional Christianity is that the religion has never been explained to her as anything more than a set of rules that are to be obeyed for the sake of tradition, rather than because the follower believes passionately with his/her heart.

Sarah believes in "following her heart", but I don't think that's the same as just following what sounds good to her. I think she loves and is really committed (whatever her past mistakes) to her family--Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie. The more passionately Sarah feels about something, the more she is willing to give her all for it and even submit to some restrictions. For example, if Sarah hadn't really loved and respected Andrew and the Queen, she could have spoken as badly about the royal family as Diana did or done a tell-all--she restrained herself, because I think she really doesn't want to hurt anyone. I don't think she feels passionate about any belief system, but she is looking for answers to her problems right now, and that is why she is talking about looking for her "inner lotus flower."

Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Royal Highness

my feeling is, that Sarah is living a life full of regrets, disapointments and would have beens, that might be the reason she is continuosly seeking spirituality. I feel bad for her!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Royal Highness

I just think this last interview is PR for her new TV program.

I don't want to upset Sarah, Duchess of York fans, but I don't think Sarah has found her way yet. I will watch her future actions too decide.

I was shocked by the Duchess with the toe sucking incident. But last years money for access to Prince Andrew I finally was turned off. I felt she was destructive to herself and her family. She should be in under care of a shrink. If Sarah feels she has to buy approval in her relationships for the person to like or love her, she needs professional help. I do not see Sarah aging well either I think she has a compulsive problems too.

BTW off topic. If you accept your God into you life, usually your life will be under the creator's care. In my twenties I was big time into astrology, but that did not lead me to happiness. God did in my forties.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes, that's true about the pyramid lady. Madame Vasso: RootsWeb: WORLD-OBITS-L KORESIS; Vissiki--[Madame Vasso]--MAY/2005--GREEK

I'm not sure about Diana seeing the same "healer", though.
I read that Diana, Princess of Wales was referred to all of the Duchess of York's healers. I believe she might have tried Madame Vasso once.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

It's interesting to note that both Diana and Sarah were unhappily married, yet their divorces didn't improve matters but just sunk them deeper in misery.

It makes me wonder if perhaps they should have tried harder in their marriages; maybe had long-term counseling?

Now a middle-aged Sarah is hanging around on the fringes and increasingly isolated; I suspect this would have been Diana's fate as well, if she had survived. (Yes, they had children, but it's impossible to live through your children. At some point you have to let go).
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It makes me wonder if perhaps they should have tried harder in their marriages; maybe had long-term counseling?
Of course.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Whatever Sarah does in order to instill some peace and calm in her life (or more importantly her mind) must be a good thing. I hope that she sticks with it for a change, because she seems to have tried so many different things over the years in both her professional and personal life and nothing seems to have worked for her so far.

I cannot help thinking that if she had stuck with just one project - such as her writing career - instead of setting up all sorts of different things, she could be a lot happier. I know she has done a lot of charity work, but she has juggled this with various other ventures and allowed herself to be in the media spotlight too, and from my own perspective it's just abit of a confusing mess. Whether she chooses spirituality, religion or even decides to spent her life up a mountain in a hut, she has to live her life through those ideals and resist being drawn into money making schemes to support a jet-set lifestyle that doesn't even fit into a spiritual or religious way of life.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Whether she chooses spirituality, religion or even decides to spent her life up a mountain in a hut, she has to live her life through those ideals and resist being drawn into money making schemes to support a jet-set lifestyle that doesn't even fit into a spiritual or religious way of life.
Yes--Sarah needs to give up the jet-set lifestyle/give up thinking that she is entitled to this just because she once was married to a royal. I'm not sure how she could be convinced of this.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Yes--Sarah needs to give up the jet-set lifestyle/give up thinking that she is entitled to this just because she once was married to a royal. I'm not sure how she could be convinced of this.
But Sarah was/is always a part of the jet set life before she married Andrew. The issue is that she at the present time can't sustain that. But if she has friends who don't mind her sharing a cabin/jet with her...is that her problem or our problem?

She isn't every going to have a regular 9 to 5 job..she needs to find something that fits her talents and allows her the freedom to do what she likes to do within a lifestyle that she can support.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Majesty

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, rmay286. I think that the Queen might be the last of her family who has a heart-felt commitment to the Faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I think that, aside from the rules, the reason she doesn't appear to show much interest in traditional Christianity is that the religion has never been explained to her as anything more than a set of rules that are to be obeyed for the sake of tradition, rather than because the follower believes passionately with his/her heart.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, rmay286. I think that the Queen might be the last of her family who has a heart-felt commitment to the Faith.
I think that's true of Britain in general--it has become a "post-Christian culture." Sarah is really no exception for not following traditional values; most people in Britain don't seem to find the Christian church relevant to them anymore.

I see what you're saying, Zonk--Sarah has friends who will give her "freebies", and if they want to offer them, what can we do about that? I agree that Sarah will never have a 9 to 5 job. She is in the middle of a bit of a crisis of career options right now. I think Andrew is as well, though--I have a feeling he is going to lose that trade ambassador job at some point. I am interested to see what direction both their lives take after that point (and the lives of their daughters), because with William and Kate's marriage, I think Charles' immediate family will gradually become more prominent. And already, no one seems to have any use for the Yorks.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Yes, Charles's family will always be more prominent but that is the natural way...it has nothing to do with the Yorks (their good and bad points, their baggage, etc.). It happened that way with Princess Margaret, it would have happened that way with the Duke of York and his family (later George VI), the other Duke of York (George V) if life hadn't changed their fates. Nothing is different. Especially if you look at other monarchies (Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, etc.). It will eventually happen to Harry.

What the spares are good for are supporting the heir and future monarch. The perfect spare in modern times.....The Princess Royal. Who continues to live somewhat under the radar (not a lot of negative press), does a TON of engagements, and has a supportive spouse (well from what we can see). Or the Wessexes. If the Yorks lived like that, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Back on topic. Hopefully Sarah will find a middle ground where she can support herself outside the UK.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I really doubt that Sarah has so many generous friends. If she did, she probably wouldn't have gotten into debt in the first place.

Some of the associates she has made lately, much like Andrew's, tend to be people who expect a return on their investment.

It's been mentioned that she had a similar lifestyle before Andrew; perhaps she did, but she came from a family of relatively modest means.
Other perks were supplied by wealthy boyfriends like McNally, and now that she is older, such a solution is less likely.

In addition, she's now known to have alienated much of the RF. So any devoted friends won't be expecting any payback.

I fully expect her to run into debt again in a relatively short time.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Royal Highness

I read an article in my local paper this evening stating that Oprah's new network is only averaging 135,000 viewers a day and doesn't look as if it will survive. There's a question if Sarah's program will ever make it on air.
Unfortunately Sarah may have made another rash decision, I would think that she's gotten some money out of it. It's already been rehashed in this thread and another, but what's left for Sarah? It'll be interesting to see what is down the line for her.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Sarah, Duchess of York leaving Quaglino's Restaurant, London, March 1st:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Aristocracy

It seems there are 2 issues here: 1) Sarah’s commitment or otherwise to the “spiritual life”, and 2) her lifestyle, whether it’s justified, and whether she can afford it.

On the first point, when I analysed in a previous point the meaning of the lotus flower image, I didn’t mean to imply by that Sarah was a deeply committed follower of Eastern spirituality, but rather that she was open and receptive to these kind of ideas. From this point of view, I feel the lotus flower metaphor could be a useful mental image to help her move forward in her life. It’s an image that makes sense philosophically, and will certainly be more useful that the exploitative quackery of a Madame Vasso figure.

On the lifestyle issue – as Zonk points out, Sarah has been accustomed to living in a certain style for many years, and to me it would seem utterly cruel and humiliating to see her cast out from her family and friends into some mythical, puritanical simple life “for her own good”. Nor do I see her lifestyle, as some seem to, as incompatible with personal fulfilment. I’m sure the biggest source of happiness and fulfilment in Sarah’s life has been her relationship to her daughters. Her charity work is also hugely important to her and I’m sure this could be another source of fulfilment.

So can she afford it? I still believe she has so much to offer in terms of TV work, books, public speaking, etc. Of course the “scandal” has damaged the brand to some degree, but she has built a successful public image in the past on an honest admission of her supposed failings, an empathy with others and a passion and commitment to the things she believes in. All of this is still there, and I believe she can still make use of it. I also don’t share the view that all her wealthy friends have ulterior motives. For example, Sir Richard Branson is one of the most successful businessmen of all time – there’s nothing he needs from Sarah. But he enjoys her company – so she gets freebie trips on private jet to his Caribbean island. That’s all there is too it, surely.
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
For example, Sir Richard Branson is one of the most successful businessmen of all time – there’s nothing he needs from Sarah. But he enjoys her company – so she gets freebie trips on private jet to his Caribbean island. That’s all there is too it, surely.
Considering how entrenched his kids are with the royals, not just the Yorks, one could make the argument that he does have other motives. Can we honestly say Dave Clarke would've been as close to Beatrice without the Branson connections?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Considering how entrenched his kids are with the royals, not just the Yorks, one could make the argument that he does have other motives. Can we honestly say Dave Clarke would've been as close to Beatrice without the Branson connections?
Since we don't know what his motives are...let's not specualtive shall we?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Royal Highness

I thought Dave and Beatrice were introduced to each other by Prince William so that wouldn't mean Richard Branson was behind it. Anyway, back to Sarah, I didn't mean to go off topic.

Closed Thread