The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Look -

There is exactly one person who is responsible for Sarah not being invited: Sarah.

She is the cause and the root.

All other decisions made flow from her, her actions, and that alone.

It's not some mythical and unproven "grudge" of the Princes - who on earth here has spoken to them lately to ask about that?

It's not Prince Phillip - why would he care if his son enjoys being embarassed? Repeatedly? Over decades?

It's not the Queen and it's not Charles - theirs is the response to the situation, not the situation's authoress.

Certainly, each and every person named above weighed in on this decision. And I think if any one of them had said "let's have the smelly girl over for the event," it would have been heard. But that's not what happened.

The handwringing and blameshifting is really absurd. Sarah is the author of her fate. And I think this puts final paid to the idea that she is some kind of "insider" amongst the Royals, enjoying huge (yet secret) coziness that will ultimately yield her great reward. It's such a disservice to herself that she seems to continue to shuffle the blame around, and that her adherents here and there do the same.

It's the death knell for the Sarah Brand, though; had she received an invite, she could have continued to peddle herself as the huge-yet-secret insider.

I - personally - think that the Palace was on the fence until the last possible minute. Do the positives outweigh the negatives of having her there? I think she once again had the opportunity to remain quietly behind-the-scenes but just couldn't help herself - flashing the cash in the Caribbean, grinning for photo ops behind Andrew a week later for skiing. She just does not know how to be discreet for any length of time. And she failed this, her last test.

Sarah has been told, by this action and in no uncertain terms, that the door is firmly closed. She may nurture her hopes and dreams of remarrying Andrew, just as several here are firmly convinced that as soon as they plant HM and HRH The DofE, then Andy will come swooping in to make it all better again. I think anyone who thinks that had better look at the line of people who chimed in on the decision from the Palace to exclude her: HM; Phillip; Charles the current heir; William, the future King. It's a solid wall of "no." Three generations of "no." The once and future monarchy.

I wish her peace. And I think this may, ultimately, give her freedom. The door is closed - time to find the window that opened as a result.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
If Andrew wanted her back in the Royal Fold and she wanted to have the duties as well as the privileges, they could always get married again. I doubt the queen would so something against it and what can she as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England do when Andrew and Sarah according to church law are still married? Or Andrew and the girls could boycott the wedding... He is old enough to make his own decisions even if his mother doesn't like it.
Boycott the wedding of the future monarch? I've never though it possible to commit suicide without dying but boycotting would be as close as you could get

Simply put, no matter how much they back her up, no matter how often they ignore her behavior, Andrew and the girls will never step over the line in such a fashion. The scandal that would cause, in Sarah's name of all things, would shake that family to the core.

Can you imagine those three being in the same room as William, let alone Phillip, if they did that? Even if they maintained the same public face there's simply no way anyone would believe that to be anything but a put on.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe she wasn't sent an invitation, because...

...it is understood that she is coming as Andrew's guest. The man is 51 years old, he is a fairly senior royal, and it seems unlikely that his guest (if that's the way the invitations are worded) will be rejected as unsuitable.

It seems harmless enough- I really doubt that the abbey will collapse if a sinner enters. (Actually it would prolly collapse if a person who hadn't sinned entered). By giving Andrew the option of bringing her, it would put the decision squarely on the one person who should be able to decide if he is offended by her presence.

I think that her behaviour at the wedding is less likely to be a problem than Kanye West's might be, assuming that he has actually been invited. "Yo, Archie Canterbury, Imma let you finish, but first I wanna say something."
Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
...I "Yo, Archie Canterbury, Imma let you finish, but first I wanna say something."
You completely owe me a computer screen. Iced tea spewed all over mine as I snorted in helpless laughter.

Welcome aboard, my new crush.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Nobility

It's been reported by a few royal reporters on twitter today that Andrew wants to bring Sarah as his guest, but it's understood that she's reluctant to attend under those circumstances.
There was no mention in any of the reports whether her attending as Andrew's guest would be acceptable to other members of the royal family.

There are so many wedding stories that it's impossible to know what's fact and what's fiction.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Serene Highness

Who knows?

In my non-royal opinion, the courteous thing to do is to invite her. And if she is uncomfortable, then the courteous thing is for her to decline.
We will hope that she and all the other guests are well-behaved!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Nobility

Cute picture of Sarah and William when he was little that was included in the
ones published that were just found in an attic.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

If she hasn't been invited and Andrew has asked for her to be there it might be the trigger for a re-marriage - in much the same way that the seating at the van Custsum (sp) wedding was a trigger for Charles and Camilla.

If Andrew has made no indication that he wants her there then that is a different situation.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=Irish Eyes;1208895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
It's been reported by a few royal reporters on twitter today that Andrew wants to bring Sarah as his guest, but it's understood that she's reluctant to attend under those circumstances.
Do you have a link to the Twitter stories? I find it hard to imagine this happening, but I'm curious...

NotaPretender
--while your post makes sense as far as Sarah re-entering the royal family is concerned, I don't think she deliberately "flashed her cash" in the Caribbean. Her behaviour was inappropriate, but she wasn't deliberately getting photographed, either. And as for being photographed with Andrew and her daughters--well, that is the thing: they all went skiing together and they were all photographed. That happens when royals are out and about. I don't see how this is a deliberate bad move on Sarah's part, either.

From what I can see, Sarah has mostly kept well under the radar since May 2010--9 months ago. I doubt she's led such a private life since her marriage.

The other thing is that, sure, most members of the royal family are clearly not big supporters of Sarah. But ultimately, the question of a future remarriage between Andrew and Sarah comes down to two people: Andrew and Sarah. Not the Queen, not Charles, not William. For Andrew to remarry Sarah, he might very well have to separate himself from his family. But he does have a choice. The whole royal family can't prevent Andrew from remarrying Sarah if he decided he really wanted to.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Serene Highness

Not my quote

The Twitter bit was not from me. I think the quotes portion of Irish Eyes post was a little off. I believe that this part of the post is from Irish Eyes:

There was no mention in any of the reports whether her attending as Andrew's guest would be acceptable to other members of the royal family.

There are so many wedding stories that it's impossible to know what's fact and what's fiction.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=rmay286;1208970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
For Andrew to remarry Sarah, he might very well have to separate himself from his family. But he does have a choice. The whole royal family can't prevent Andrew from remarrying Sarah if he decided he really wanted to.
Exactly. And he hasn't, not in a decade and a half. I totally agree, rmay286. The endless leaping at "he's going to remarry her because he blinked his eyes three times at a press conference" is tiresome. He hasn't. If he wanted to make a stink about having her at this wedding, he could have. He could boycott it if he really wanted to make a point about her not being invited - but I bet my next paycheck that he won't.

This wedding is not some litmus test as to whether Andrew and Sarah will reunite. It's a celebration of the marriage of two young people who have little to no relationship with Sarah Ferguson.

However, no one is stopping anyone from their wild speculation as to this wedding being some sort of dramatic catalyst. Go on - set it up that way: "well, Andrew is just so mad about this that he's gonna marry Sarah any minute now....any minute now....right about....sure, he scratched his left ankle again, that means.....any time now....."
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with most of what y'all are saying, but I do think it downright mean not to invite her.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's been reported by a few royal reporters on twitter today that Andrew wants to bring Sarah as his guest...
I doubt this will happen.
I've heard that Andrew fought very hard to retain the "princess" title for his daughters; is it likely he'll go against his family to parade his ex at the wedding?

I think the skiing photos were his way of showing that he, at least, doesn't regard Sarah as a pariah. (Maybe the trip was even a consolation prize, because he must have known that she would not be invited).
BUT- I don't believe he will remarry her, ever.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Nobility

I agree Mirabel, it's not going to happen. I don't think Andrew would even ask, not because he'd have a problem bringing her, but because he probably knows that Sarah wouldn't agree to go. Even is she did agree to go as his guest, he might feel it simply wouldn't be worth the attention, publicity and rumour it would cause.
Like you I don't think they will remarry, why would they when they can have the best of both worlds if that's what they want.
I'd like to think that Sarah thinks fondly of William and I'm sure she wishes the couple every happiness but I don't think she's in tears at missing the wedding. I think trips like the skiiing break is Andrew's way of showing his support, and maybe Andrew and the girls are all Sarah needs and she still gets to spend some happy family time with them.
Andrew and Sarah seem happy with their family unit (even if it's a set up that wouldn't work for most) and the girls have never really known or had their mother involved in the royal side of their lives. I think at this stage they have all accepted the situation and adjusted to make things work for them as a family.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Beatrice leaving Claridge's Hotel in London,
February 24, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** zimbio: Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, and Princess Beatrice leave Claridge's Hotel **
Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Daily Mail article

Sarah Ferguson and Princess Beatrice rack up hefty dinner tab at Gordon Ramsay's Claridges | Mail Online
Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

This sort of thing tends to be inflammatory and provoke comments such as "Why should we pay for the York girls? They do nothing etc. etc."

Though, to be fair, they (or at least Sarah) would be criticized no matter what, at this point!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
This sort of thing tends to be inflammatory and provoke comments such as "Why should we pay for the York girls? They do nothing etc. etc."

Though, to be fair, they (or at least Sarah) would be criticized no matter what, at this point!

Inflammatory is right. More mean-spirited rubbish from the Mail. This assumption that the taxpayer is always footing the bill does annoy me. I'm sure Beatrice does indirectly get something from the taxpayer - well, she is 5th in line to the throne after all. If I am contributing a few pence towards her, that's fine by me. It seems ridiculous that Sarah and Beatrice can't go out and have a meal without being criticized. And saying that Beatrice doesn't work makes it sound as if she does nothing. She's taking a degree - let her get on with it.

As for the wedding - well, I think the 2 sides of the debate are more or less irreconcilable. Those of us who feel more positively towards Sarah feel she should have the benefit of the doubt - for Andrew's sake if for no other reason, as he clearly still cares for her. Others feel she's messed things up too seriously, or become too distant to the family, to be allowed back in the fold. I guess my reaction is perhaps mostly an emotional one - I care for Sarah, and don't like to think of her feeling excluded or marginalized, and I hope she won't take it too badly. But for all that, I still have to concede that it's up to William and Catherine who they invite, and that there are convincing arguments for her exclusion, if I look at it impartially (or at least try to!).
http://duchessdiscoveries.com
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Majesty

Actually whilst I am perfectly aware that the York girls are not subsidised by the state (other than their security costs, which I do not resent), I do think they have been seen out at expensive restaurants rather a lot recently. This is just not what one wants to see in straightened economic times. Interestingly, you very rarely see any of the senior royals ever splash the cash like this. Is this just a case of Sarah eating her way through her daughters trust funds now?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Actually whilst I am perfectly aware that the York girls are not subsidised by the state (other than their security costs, which I do not resent), I do think they have been seen out at expensive restaurants rather a lot recently. This is just not what one wants to see in straightened economic times. Interestingly, you very rarely see any of the senior royals ever splash the cash like this. Is this just a case of Sarah eating her way through her daughters trust funds now?
I tend to believe it is a PR stunt by Sarah and Gordon Ramsey. He pays for the lunch and she brings her daughter and the Daily Mail reporters.
We're informed what lunch cost at the place, we see a delighted princess leave and read that other VIPs lunch there as well.. What more does Gordon Ramsey want? And Sarah? Does she really care what the media writes about her as long as it is more or less dignified (going to lunch with your daughter is hardly a scandal).

But poor Beatrice...

Closed Thread