The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I don't have any exclusive info about the boy's relationship with Andrew so I should have added it was just thinking on my part. I apologize for the misleading statement.
Today in the Daily Express, it stated that now Sarah's spokesperson has stated that she will not be overseas the day of the wedding. This seems to contradict a previous statement that Sarah had an overseas commitment and would not even be in the country. As with any wedding there are slews of rumors going around so which is correct I don't know.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I notice though that whatever the reason the boys don't stick by all their mother's grudges as they do/did have relationships with her late mother and brother, with whom Diana was also on the outer when she died so they are rather selective in holding her grudges.

Do they have a relationship with Earl Spencer?
I read where he said something to the effect that he never sees them because they don't want to hang around with an uncle in his forties, or something like that.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I would imagine that they wouldn't want to hang out with him as he has his own house to put in order. But that's just MO.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah Ferguson in Tears After Queen's Royal Snub | PopEater.com

Apparently she was "in tears" because she's not invited. But was there not a statement saying she wouldn't go even if she was?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Nobility

Indeed there was 4Pam, indeed there was.
Her spokesman never said she wasn't invited, what he did say was that she didn't know yet if she was invited, but even if she was she wouldn't be going, she didn't feel it would be relevant or appropriate for her to attend. He went on to say she would be overseas on the day.
Since then there are reports that he seems to have contradicted himself by saying she won't be overseas on the say of the wedding afterall.

I read in one of the papers that she hosted a birthday party for Andrew at Royal Lodge at the weekend, despite last year they were getting on the same as ever, but it's sad that not one of his siblings turned up even though they were invited.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Nobility

Royal wedding invitations: Fergie sinned but doesn't deserve to be treated like a leper | Mail Online

This is a bit of a collectors item, a Daily Mail article which is a bit
Pro Sarah. Gosh, do you ever know what you will read next!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Yes, the Mail is being hypocritical in that the last year the tabloid was slamming Sarah at every opportunity after her scandal. In fact, the Mail was practically crowing at the breaking news of the scandal and calling her "greedy" etc. Now it's portraying her as a cast out Royal, left in the cold, by the heartless Royal Family. What rot. You can almost hear the violins playing when reading the items.
Yesterday, on the US news, Dickie Arbeiter, formerly employed by the Royal Household was asked (baited) by the woman commentator why Fergie was not invited and being shunned? He laughed then stated, why should she be invited? She's an ex-wife, she should not have expected to be invited? If one looks at it that way, then why wasn't Mark Philips invited? He's Anne's ex-husband?
The press is such a pain in the neck and most of the time it has no clue what it's talking about except to stir up the pot.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'm personally not worried one way or the about whether or not Sarah has been invited. But I would say that I can think of no one who has invited their uncle's ex-wife to their wedding?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm personally not worried one way or the about whether or not Sarah has been invited. But I would say that I can think of no one who has invited their uncle's ex-wife to their wedding?
I know many people who have invited ex-aunts and ex-uncles to weddings.

Put it another way - would any one here have expected Diana to be invited to Beatrice or Eugenie's weddings if she had lived? Of course she would have been but in reverse everyone seems to say 'of what is the big deal?'

Another point is 'how is Andrew's invitation worded'? Normally a single person gets an invitation that says 'xxx and partner' so does Andrew's say 'Andrew and partner' or is Andrew not allowed to have a partner at these events simply because the love of his life is no longer his wife?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Nobility

I think it is mean and vindictive not to have invited William's Aunt Sarah.
She was a best friend to his mother and she is the mother of his
two cousins.
Sarah would have been close to the boys when they were little.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

My view is a general one and based on personal experience and I can quite see how some families are happy to invite ex family members to weddings. But clearly this is not the case for the royal family. I can't say the same for Diana because we don't know what her relationship would now be with the royal family.

It is obvious that the royal family do not consider Sarah as being a member of the family (even though she still has a connection through her children) and so is not automatically considered for invitation to royal family events. Do we know what other events she has attended since her divorce?

Can we be sure that Sarah would be comfortable sitting with the rest of the congregation while her daughters sit with the royal family? From a purely personal point of view, I would feel abit left out of things if I had to sit at the back of the church while my children sit at the front. If ex-wives and husbands were still considered memebrs of the royal family, there would eventually be no room to have them all sitting together as one united group!

It seems that although Andrew still loves his former wife, other members of the royal family might not.

With regard to Andrew's invitation, it could say "Andrew and Guest" but I doubt it. If he is allowed to bring a guest and he brought Sarah along, she would have to sit next to him (as guests fo guests usually do) and protocol would not allow this.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
YIf one looks at it that way, then why wasn't Mark Philips invited? He's Anne's ex-husband?
Do we know that he isn't invited? Just kidding - but after all, Mark P. still lives at Anne's estate and was raising his kids together with Anne, he is a quiet and well mannered man who has his own merits and a job he can be proud of instead of being a hanger-on and always good for scandal. Thus, he is not of interest for the media as is Sarah.

And maybe that is the problem. It's known that Sarah's documentary for Oprah is not yet finished. I can imagine that this was a point against inviting Sarah as surely Oprah would have used TV-coverage of Sarah at the wedding in that docu to give it more life and Royal glamour. Perhaps that was a result William and Catherine did not want.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

If Sarah is not invited there is a simple reason for it: William doesnt want her to be there. What speaks volumes about the rift that must have been between his mother and her and, as a consequence, him. William is on good terms with his cousins, Fergies daughters and leaving their mother out would be an exclaimation mark, no doubt about that.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Nobility

See here I disagree. There's no proof that it has anything to do with his mother instead of Sarah being a lightning rod for controversy.

As for the Dailymail, it does have different writers and as such will pop the occasional pro-Fergie article out there. The article is an opinion piece complaining about inviting people like the Beckham's and not her. It makes a good point though frankly I don't think Sarah or the Beckham's should've been invited but that's just me.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
See here I disagree. There's no proof that it has anything to do with his mother instead of Sarah being a lightning rod for controversy.
I agree, I don't think Sarah's exclusion haw anything to do with the supposed row between Sarah and Diana. If William had wanted her there, she woul dhave been invited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post

The article is an opinion piece complaining about inviting people like the Beckham's and not her. It makes a good point though frankly I don't think Sarah or the Beckham's should've been invited but that's just me.
I suspect that if the Beckhams are invited, it will be because of the work that David did with William in relation to the world cup bid, and any other charitable projects they may have talked about.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

Sara Ferguson and Prince Andrew daughters are cousins to Prince Williams.They are his first cousins. This makes Sara Ferguson his aunt, even though it's not by blood. If there were no children involved, then I would say that she was his ex-aunt.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm an ex-aunt and I'm not getting invited to diddly squat.
So some families operate differently.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I'm an ex-aunt and I'm not getting invited to diddly squat.
So some families operate differently.

My father was invited to my cousins wedding. He is an ex uncle...and invited to my uncles wedding. My uncle happens to be the brother of my mother (his ex wife). Now make no mistake about it...my mother wasn't pleased..but it wasn't her day.

Sarah seemed to indicate that she wasn't expecting an invitation (maybe she is saying that to save face..who knows). She seems to be okay with it. Perhaps if the boys and Sarah had maintained a relationship thru the years after Diana's death it might have been different. Really...it kind of takes two (or at least one person to make an effort) to maintain a relationship. If she hasn't spoken to them since Diana died (I believe someone mentioned that)...how do we expect her to invite them? I don't think they should have gotten an invited her just because she is Beatrice and Eugenie's mother. Do they speak...do they exchange Christmas cards? Honestly, I would moreso expect to see Sarah at Zara's wedding based on an exchance they had years ago. I believe they were at an event and Zara seemed genuinely happy to see her. My father was invited because he has maintained a relationship with my mother's side of the family since the divorce. Will my mother be invited to anything on my fathers side? Probably not as she hasn't tried to maintain a relationship.

The point is...its William and Catherine's day and at the end of it...they can pretty much invite anyone they want to.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just to answer a question someone posted...

AFAIK...The one Major Royal Occasion Sarah was invited to attend was The Queen Mum's Funeral and she did have to sit w/the rest of the congregation, while the girls were w/the Royal Family. Didn't seem to be a problem then, but Sarah also hadn't tried to sell access to Andrew, and in a way, to the Royal Family in general back then.

IMO that's the real reason there's no invite to the Wedding and I can't say I really blame anyone if that is, in truth, the reason. As much as I like Sarah, she really screwed things up w/that one.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Royal Highness

If Andrew wanted her back in the Royal Fold and she wanted to have the duties as well as the privileges, they could always get married again. I doubt the queen would so something against it and what can she as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England do when Andrew and Sarah according to church law are still married? Or Andrew and the girls could boycott the wedding... He is old enough to make his own decisions even if his mother doesn't like it.

Closed Thread