Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 17: June 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that most Americans dislike Sarah....many (if not most) Americans could care less about Sarah or any member of a royal family.

I work with an office full of women and I'm probably the only one there that is interested in royalty...and that is mostly due to the fact that I love history.

MM

Its an important point. I can't think of one family member, friend or colleague of mine that I can strike up a conversation about royalty. Might have traction for a few minutes but peters out very fast.

There might even be a value judgment attached from some quarters along the lines of - why spend your time on that stuff? Marriages and babies and scandals always get some headlines but overall I wouldn't say there is a keen interest. One has to just watch the response to 'Royal' visits to the US (barring the Queen which becomes a State affair - but even then its pretty sedate) - to understand that 'royalty' is not 'exciting' to Americans.

Plus OWN is a brand new 'baby'. Its a question how many people can even get the channel never mind viewed 'Finding Sarah' - there are so many other shows to watch on a Sunday night - like PBS 'Masterpiece', for one. Unless you have a particular interest its unlikely one would even search it out. I didn't even know about it - so watched it, searched it out, only because I heard about it here, on TRF.

Last edited:
Good point. I'm a Canadian and I don't know anyone here who is interested in talking about royalty. With the exception of a short conversation on William and Kate, no one is interested.

As far as OWN, I don't get it in my tv cable package. It's probably available with some systems...but I've never heard anyone here mention the OWN channel.

My situation is different. In fact, I'm sometimes surprised by the number of people who follow things rather closely.

Good point. I'm a Canadian and I don't know anyone here who is interested in talking about royalty. With the exception of a short conversation on William and Kate, no one is interested.

I think perhaps we have been using the Sarah Interviews thread as the current events thread....so I'm bumping this up.

Sarah was in Spain last month on vacation. What other news?

Its an important point. I can't think of one family member, friend or colleague of mine that I can strike up a conversation about royalty. Might have traction for a few minutes but peters out very fast.

There might even be a value judgment attached from some quarters along the lines of - why spend your time on that stuff? Marriages and babies and scandals always get some headlines but overall I wouldn't say there is a keen interest. One has to just watch the response to 'Royal' visits to the US (barring the Queen which becomes a State affair - but even then its pretty sedate) - to understand that 'royalty' is not 'exciting' to Americans.

Plus OWN is a brand new 'baby'. Its a question how many people can even get the channel never mind viewed 'Finding Sarah' - there are so many other shows to watch on a Sunday night - like PBS 'Masterpiece', for one. Unless you have a particular interest its unlikely one would even search it out. I didn't even know about it - so watched it, searched it out, only because I heard about it here, on TRF.

Nevertheless, Sarah at one point was doing quite well with her business ventures in the US and I imagine that successful history is what would bring her back. It's actually not a bad strategy, overall, to go back to NY to rebuild using whatever contacts and knowledge she has left over from the last time she was financially doing well. Her relative anonymity could work for her - most Americans would be starting out with a vague idea of who she was but wouldn't be aware of the details of all the antics that make her such an object of ridicule and contempt in the UK.

Unfortunately I think the platform she chose to try to rebuild - the Finding Sarah show - was all wrong. In a way she's probably lucky that Oprah's Midas touch didn't extend to this new show because I think the best thing that can be said about it is that not many people have actually seen it.

I think the sensible thing for Sarah to do at this point would be to take some time to regroup. Most of her debts have been taken care of, she's never going to lack for the basics... if she spent the next six months to a year assessing her situation, brainstorming with former business contacts or some of her successful friends, working out a plan that didn't involve a reality show, (when did reality shows become the answer to everything in life??), then I think she'd have a decent chance at rebuilding her brand, such as it is.

I think perhaps we have been using the Sarah Interviews thread as the current events thread....so I'm bumping this up.

Sarah was in Spain last month on vacation. What other news?

NaP, in the recent Daily Mail article re Sarah's travels during the past year there is a photo of her (giving the thumbs up) with the caption "Sotogrande, July this year". This photo was actually taken in Sotogrande in 2008 when she presented the cup at the polo final. I'm not sure if it's because of this photo that you mentioned her being in Spain last month.
I had read a few weeks back that their trip to Spain this year was right about now to celebrate Beatrice's birthday. On the plus side there is a Big Brother story in the papers almost daily, and I've noticed recently they have stopped naming Sarah when listing those rumoured to be involved.

ciplex_icon_normal.jpg

Sarah Sarah Ferguson

No.. I am not going on Big Brother. Never was asked and never would do it.

27 minutes ago

Sarah has just posted a message on her official twitter account to end those Big Brother rumours. Not sorry to read that.

Actually having Sarah on Big Brother would have been a right hoot. I would have actually watched it for a change.

Looked up her account on Twitter after a link as posted:

She wrote this:
SarahTheDuchess Sarah Ferguson
"One may defeat a thousand obstacles and adversaries, yet he who defeats the enemies within is the noblest victor" shakyamuni

My, my is this lady lineage-orientated... "Shakyamuni" is the "middle" name of the Buddha, who was Gautama (first name) Shakyamuni (family name - meaning "one of the noble family of the Shakyas) and then Buddha as his title - his name meaning Gautama, the wise/ enlightened man from the noble family of Shakya. :D

ciplex_icon_normal.jpg

Sarah Sarah Ferguson

No.. I am not going on Big Brother. Never was asked and never would do it.

27 minutes ago

Sarah has just posted a message on her official twitter account to end those Big Brother rumours. Not sorry to read that.

Good news. Might've been more media speculation than anything else. I doubt Sarah would've ever considered something as low brow as that. Oprah comes calling, that is supposed to make you look good. Big Brother? :p

I amazed that she not only has SarahTheDuchess as her handle but then writes
Proud mother of Princess Beatrice & Princess Eugenie. Sarah Ferguson, The Duchess of York is an author, producer and advocate for women and children everywhere.
in the bio. It's one thing not to correct others but that's blatant misuse of a title that isn't hers. What are the, if there are any, legal ramificatrions of something like that? Does anyone know?

Last edited:
I'm sure that Sarah, with her media-savvy brain, would have thought of the "legal ramifications" before embarking on an unwise legal move .... or not ????

I'm sure that Sarah, with her media-savvy brain, would have thought of the "legal ramifications" before embarking on an unwise legal move .... or not ????

In this context, I am not sure if I would use the term "media savvy". Perhaps greedy, silly and thick come to mind.

I wonder why BP don't tell her to change it. It isn't her title and that was made clear when she was divorced. Heck even I know what she is supposed to be called surely she isn't confused about that too. People need to pick her up on this I find it very annoying. The Queen might need to issue a reminder. Glad she isn't doing Big Brother but not sure what else she can do. The RF will need to start doing something soon and twitter can cause huge problems! Let's see how long it takes Sarah to get into trouble.

I find it quite off-putting that her own account refers to her daughters by their titles.

Perhaps I only feel this way because of her constant use of her royal connections to gain attention, and selling the fact that her children are royal to use them for her own gain.

Wow, I forgot that Sarah has a twitter account! Looking at it, it just bothers me that she is able to go between using Sarah, Duchess of York (well she calls herself The Duchess of York but that's another matter) and Sarah Ferguson. Yeah, since she's divorced she's completely entitled to have "Duchess of York" after her name, but why does she refer to herself as Sarah Ferguson at the same time? I wasn't aware that it was something one can flip-flop on. I would say to choose how you want to be called and stick to it.

Thank god she set the record straight about Big Brother though.

I wonder why BP don't tell her to change it. It isn't her title and that was made clear when she was divorced.

Could it be to prevent a bigger media mess where Sarah could again be portrayed as a poor victim - «look how mean the powerful and wealthy royal firm is to pennyless and almost homeless poor little Sarah«

:previous:
The Queen gave Sarah the money to buy a house, which she didn't, she rented. I don't think it would be pure imagination to believe that the money she was supposed to buy a house with went to pay the rent. This was separate and extra to the settlement and it is a bit of a puzzle to know why she didn't buy. Another point is that the fire in the rented house was caused by her carelessness with a scented candle left burning in the bathroom.
I think that quite a few people would like to be poor like Sarah. Even when she owes enormous amounts of money there is always someone who helps her out.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said she paid for her husband's staff parties when she had the cash for this. She is absolutely foolish when it comes to money and this stems from the fact that whatever she spends or owes she really never has to pay the consequences.

How can you say that her access for cash had nothing to do with her failing business!!? It was because of that business failing that she was heavily in debt! Prior to that she had quite lucrative contracts with Weightwatchers, so lucrative, that for a few years she even paid for Andrew's staff Christmas parties. Along with all her daughters' 'extras' Cash was being offered to her, she needed the money. Probably not her finest moment but she needed the money so it seemed a way of getting it. Not making any moral judgement on what she did, just stating a factual view of what she did.

If one wants to stand in moralistic judgement of Sarah (she lied etc) fine, but I prefer not to 'casting the first stone' and all that!

I think the problem is that some of Sarah's current behaviour is making people think that she's always been motivated by greed, from day one until now. I don't think that's completely true (I agree with you that I don't often see her wearing new evening gowns these days) but the problem is that Sarah isn't making it easy for people to believe the best of her.

Iluvbertie has often argued that it wasn't Sarah's fault her business failed, and that her actions in the cash for access scandal were born from desperation. Now, I do think that Sarah was overspending all the way through, but she could afford to overspend when she had the Weight Watcher's contract. She wasn't in debt then. The problem was when Hartmoor failed and Sarah refused to face the fact that she'd lost money, but kept on living the same lifestyle, jetting around the world. That was what led for the cash-for-access; she needed money to sustain her lifestyle and was to proud to publicly admit that she couldn't keep on going. That has been the problem throughout this year - that Sarah is blaming her problems on her mother and the royal family and low self-esteem and her divorce, but never on the fact that she just shouldn't be living a royal (or more than royal) lifestyle, because she can't afford it.

I think Sarah has done a lot of unselfish, generous things in her life - and had some real career successes, too - that are being overlooked right now while everyone paints Sarah as useless and greedy. Yes, that's her fault, but it's not fair to say that her whole life has been characterized by greed and overspending...what about the book she co-wrote on Victoria and Albert at Osborne House? her idea for The Young Victoria? Whatever people say, I know Sarah is knowledgeable about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, because I've watched her give off-the-cuff interviews where she spouts facts about them. What about her trip to the Romanian orphanages? What about some of her charitable work, or her speech in defense of mothers at the UN, which was delivered almost without looking at her notes, and very passionately?

Like everyone else, I think Sarah is making a mess out of her life right now, but it's all the more sad because (IMO) she has a lot of potential to be more than what she is right now, if she only accepted reality.

:previous: You are correct however all the foolish things are overshadowing what good things she has done. Her comments about her Mother were atrocious ... and then she backtraced, yet again.

I think the problem is that some of Sarah's current behaviour is making people think that she's always been motivated by greed, from day one until now. I don't think that's completely true (I agree with you that I don't often see her wearing new evening gowns these days) but the problem is that Sarah isn't making it easy for people to believe the best of her.

Iluvbertie has often argued that it wasn't Sarah's fault her business failed, and that her actions in the cash for access scandal were born from desperation. Now, I do think that Sarah was overspending all the way through, but she could afford to overspend when she had the Weight Watcher's contract. She wasn't in debt then. The problem was when Hartmoor failed and Sarah refused to face the fact that she'd lost money, but kept on living the same lifestyle, jetting around the world. That was what led for the cash-for-access; she needed money to sustain her lifestyle and was to proud to publicly admit that she couldn't keep on going. That has been the problem throughout this year - that Sarah is blaming her problems on her mother and the royal family and low self-esteem and her divorce, but never on the fact that she just shouldn't be living a royal (or more than royal) lifestyle, because she can't afford it.

I think Sarah has done a lot of unselfish, generous things in her life - and had some real career successes, too - that are being overlooked right now while everyone paints Sarah as useless and greedy. Yes, that's her fault, but it's not fair to say that her whole life has been characterized by greed and overspending...what about the book she co-wrote on Victoria and Albert at Osborne House? her idea for The Young Victoria? Whatever people say, I know Sarah is knowledgeable about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, because I've watched her give off-the-cuff interviews where she spouts facts about them. What about her trip to the Romanian orphanages? What about some of her charitable work, or her speech in defense of mothers at the UN, which was delivered almost without looking at her notes, and very passionately?

Like everyone else, I think Sarah is making a mess out of her life right now, but it's all the more sad because (IMO) she has a lot of potential to be more than what she is right now, if she only accepted reality.

I think you comments rmay are very fair, well balanced and well expressed. One question I would love to ask Sarah is why o why they let Hartmoor build up such debts before pulling the plug? Surely they shoud have cut their losses when the debts were at a far more manageable level? (I read Sarah was a 51% shareholder and not involved in the day to day running of the Co. so I'm not sure who would be making those decisions). When Sarah's income and financial situation changed she should have adapted her lifestyle accordingly, she didn't and here we are today.

She is doing herself no favours at the moment and only showing the world her faults and failings, and not the more positive, commendable and likeable side of her. Like you I thought her UN speech was very impressive, totally unrecogniseable from the woman in the NOTW video a few short months later.

I like to think my comments re Sarah are usually fair, there is no doubting that she has made a mess of things this past year or so, but equally I don't mind giving her credit when I think it's due.
You have pretty much summed up how I feel most of the time.

Not cynical but bitter, why begrudge Sarah the fact that she has rich friends who support her!? I don't understand the desire to be negative until you see Sarah living in a cardboard box on the Embankment. ...

...Sarah has a lavish lifestyle with much given to her for free, so the little green monsters start up, why should she get free holidays? Well that's the way it is!

That's a very, as we say on another forum, interesting assumption on your part.

So what's Sarah's next act in her events lineup, now that she has rested her weary bones and taken Australian television by storm?

Last edited:
Not cynical but bitter, why begrudge Sarah the fact that she has rich friends who support her!? I don't understand the desire to be negative until you see Sarah living in a cardboard box on the Embankment. Paddy McNally has remained friends with Sarah since her divorce he has given her the use of his chalet for a winter holiday and house in Spain for a summer holiday. Lucky her, she doesn't pay for it, move on people. Richard Branson also gives her free accomodation, last year another friend flew her down to Nekker Island is his private plane. Again lucky her, why should total strangers be bitter?

First things first; I don't want to see Sarah living in a cardbox box and of couse she will not be reduced to this. And I am not 'jealous' either - indeed, I have nothing to be jealous of! What I do want to see is Sarah living with an appropriate degree of humility at the moment, because however you dress it up, it is her immense sense of entitlement coupled with greed that has bought shame to the Royal family and has caused a lot of pain to many of those who have lost out financially.

My objection to Sarah's vacation is because it seems the height of bad manners and poor taste to holiday in this way, regardless as to whether the house and flights etc are being provided by a third party when you have in VERY recent memory you have been unable to pay your staff the money to which they were entitled. It seems that although two of her most senior staff did receive around 80% of what Sarah owed them, The [London] Times and The Daily Telegraph have reportedly frequently that Sarah had a total of 15 staff and that the majority of them received only 25% of what Sarah owed them. It also seems that the staff who received this low settlement figure were not highly paid or wealthy.....

For my own part, if I was owed money by my employer and then only received 25% of what I was entitled to, I would be angry if I then saw him on an all-expenses paid jaunt.

The Telegraph has reported that since the 'Fake Sheikh' 'sting' that Sarah has had 20 trips and holidays abroad. Perhaps it would be better if she had spent August in Beautiful Berkshire.

Side Issue - it is all very well accepting 'free hospitality', but we always say that 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'. I always wonder whether those wealthy foreigners who host Sarah are really it doing for the best reasons or whether they have some kind of ulterior motive. Sarah is no longer royal, but she is the mother of two Princesses, and I fear that to some hosts, that could be quite an advantage. Many are wealthy businessmen; at some stage if they have a new factory or a property development or anything where association with Royalty could be useful, the Princesses could find themselves under an awkward obligation at 'pay back time'

Second side issue; on her marriage and up to the time of her divorce [and indeed for some years afterwards] Sunninghill Park was NOT owned by Prince Andrew outright - and Sarah NEVER had a legal share in the property. The Queen was the beneficial owner, having taken a LEASE of the property from the Crown Estate. It was some years after the divorce [and Sarah's settlement] that the Queen bought the freehold from the Crown Estate and apparently transferred the beneficial ownership to Andrew.

Just my views

Alex

Last edited:
Side Issue - it is all very well accepting 'free hospitality', but we always say that 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'. I always wonder whether those wealthy foreigners who host Sarah are really doing for the best reasons or whether they have some kind of ulterior motive. Sarah is no longer royal, but she is the mother of two Princesses, and I fear that to some hosts, that could be quite an advantage. Many are wealthy businessmen; at some stage if they have a new factory or a property development or anything where association with Royalty could be useful, the Princesses could find themselves under an awkward obligation at 'pay back time'

Alex

I think you are making a good point there Alex. I think it was perhaps two years ago that I read Sarah and Andrew were given a villa for two weeks in Sotogrande. The owner had died a few years previous and his family had the villa for sale, Andrew and Sarah knew a few wealthy, well connected friends/associates who were in the market and were looking to buy a property. The deal seemed to be that Andrew and Sarah were to invite these people to a dinner party during their stay and show them around the property. I've no idea whether any of their friends took any interest in the property but you can certainly see how/why Andrew and Sarah got their free villa. On that occasion I think it was more Andrew's associates/connections than Sarah's.

I read recently (I just can't remember if it was in the Daily Mail or Daily express) that Andrew is to join them in Spain shortly, is it possible that he is paying for this particular holiday?

... Should she say no to her friends' offers and spend her holidays in that cardboard box at the Embankment?!!

How very dramatic. Do please provide the source wherein Diarist speaks of wishing to see Sarah "at the Embankment" - that that you have accused her in purple prose of doing so - twice. I certainly have not seen it, but perhaps you have additional sources not presently in this public domain.

If one wants to stand in moralistic judgement of Sarah (she lied etc) fine, but I prefer not to 'casting the first stone' and all that!

Perhaps you meant "I prefer not to be 'casting the first stone.' " If you are referring to the source of that tale, which is Jesus' declaration to those who were going to stone a woman who had committed adultery, well then, in that instance, you may have a point, as Sarah has certainly and indeed done so.

Perhaps as another poster pointed out, Andrew will be joining them for the remainder of holiday and the rest of the time will be "on him." That's certainly suitable, for him to pay for a holiday for his daughters.

However, I do think the point was made rather clearly by Andrew having his picture taken on frolics with another woman, while Sarah was off with their daughters, that there is a clean and clear line being drawn.

Last edited:
Is this the current events thread?

So there is no need to rehash the York marriage/divorce, the specifics of the Cash for Access scandal, etc. I realize there is some overlap with financing as Sarah is reported to be on vacation but there is no need to rehash the ENTIRE scandal again. We pretty much know what happened.

Any and additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Second side issue; on her marriage and up to the time of her divorce [and indeed for some years afterwards] Sunninghill Park was NOT owned by Prince Andrew outright - and Sarah NEVER had a legal share in the property. The Queen was the beneficial owner, having taken a LEASE of the property from the Crown Estate. It was some years after the divorce [and Sarah's settlement] that the Queen bought the freehold from the Crown Estate and apparently transferred the beneficial ownership to Andrew.

Yes, how very odd that it's public knowledge of this, yet somehow there is indignation that Sarah didn't get a slice of that pie, too. Really....she wasn't entitled.

So what is she doing, as I asked before, now that she has rested her weary bones and taken to Australia TV airwaves to promote herself?

Last edited:
So what is she doing, as I asked before, now that she has rested her weary bones and taken to Australia TV airwaves to promote herself?

I would really hope that after the fiasco in Australia with 60 minutes that Sarah decides to lay low for a while and just keep out of the spotlights. As far as her book goes, I've really no idea how well its selling but I don't think its breaking any records on the best seller lists.

She does need to come up with a plan that will be a source of revenue for her but to be honest, I think she's just about exhausted any means that I could think of.

I see where you are coming from Camelot23ca about double standards but IMHO the difference with Sarah is that by virtue of her marriage she is almost uniquely placed to be a useful contact and....Oh dear me, do you see where I am inadvertently heading?.........the cash-for-access scandal is almost rearing its head again......

Yes, this is true, and unfortunately because of her past actions Sarah has made herself an easy target. She's shown that she's had financial issues and is willing to act unethically... all it takes is one person who is also unethical and a bit smarter than Sarah to take advantage of her and she could find herself in a very bad situation. But to me this is something Sarah is vulnerable to regardless of what she does at this point, unless she has a complete change of attitude and behaviour... hopefully she has a few generous friends who have her best interests at heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom