The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
Sarah has paid tribute to Margaret Thatcher, saying that she was a steadfast friend on a personal level, and also praising her strength and leadership.

How Margaret Thatcher bonded with Sarah Ferguson over cups of tea at Palace - Telegraph

https://mobile.twitter.com/SarahTheDuchess/tweets
Yet another opportunity for Sarah to put her head above the parapet, hark back to the life she had and lost, and of the people in high places she knew!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Majesty

I think it was very nice of Sarah to pay tribute to the Baroness.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Courtier

I think it would have been better if Sarah wasn't trying to make it sound like they were actually friends. Having a cup of tea with someone a couple of times hardly makes you friends! It isn't like Sarah dropped in to 10 Downing for a cuppa and a chat. She would have seen Mrs Thatcher when she went to visit the Queen and Sarah happened to be there I doubt Mrs Thatcher actually ever sought her out and would presume to give Sarah any sort of advice on anything. Sarah should have just said she was a great lady who she admired and she got the opportunity to meet her.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Majesty

Do we have to take Sarah's very appropriate tribute and try to turn it back on her?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Do we have to take Sarah's very appropriate tribute and try to turn it back on her?
No we don't. I dont think she was making more of it than it was. I'd imagine that Sarah is looking back over a somewhat difficult time in her life and Mrs Thatcher was kind to her.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
No we don't. I dont think she was making more of it than it was. I'd imagine that Sarah is looking back over a somewhat difficult time in her life and Mrs Thatcher was kind to her.
Yeah, it was very touching that she paid her tribute and that she got to spend some time with her over tea.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Aristocracy

I agree. I think that as a tribute, it's both touching and entirely appropriate. After all, the UK media is full of people pontificating about Lady Thatcher right now, plenty of whom would have barely met her, if at all.

Sarah, it seems, got to know her a little over tea at the palace, which gives her a different angle. Most people are debating the political leader, the Iron Lady. Sarah aknowledges this side but has personal experience of the former PM in different circumstances.

Personally, I never agreed with Lady Thatcher's politics, but Sarah's trubute shows us a different side of her, that she showed her kindness during difficult times. Sarah clearly respected and admired her, and has every right to express her views in whatever manner she feels is right.
http://duchessofyork.webeden.co.uk/
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Well she didn't made the cut for the guest list for the invitation only funeral.......but Joan Collins did, lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I think it would have been better if Sarah wasn't trying to make it sound like they were actually friends. Having a cup of tea with someone a couple of times hardly makes you friends! It isn't like Sarah dropped in to 10 Downing for a cuppa and a chat. She would have seen Mrs Thatcher when she went to visit the Queen and Sarah happened to be there I doubt Mrs Thatcher actually ever sought her out and would presume to give Sarah any sort of advice on anything. Sarah should have just said she was a great lady who she admired and she got the opportunity to meet her.

It is perfectly conceivable that they did have a cuppa to discuss things - particularly when Sarah was to undertake official engagements on behalf of the government - and all royals are briefed by senior members of the government as part of the preparation for these events.

It is also possible that the PM was involved in discussions over the failing marriage - which also had constitutional implications as Andrew was 4th in line and it was clear that Charles' marriage had already disintegrated - in fact if not officially.

They would also have meet annually at Balmoral where it is again perceivable that a friendship developed.

I am saddened that people always assume Sarah is lying or exaggerating without truly analysing the situation and the possibilities.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Prince Andrew still keeps an apartment at BP, and HM meets with the PM weekly. Their meeting several times over those years is not impossible, with a little effort on Sarah's part.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It is perfectly conceivable that they did have a cuppa to discuss things - particularly when Sarah was to undertake official engagements on behalf of the government - and all royals are briefed by senior members of the government as part of the preparation for these events.

It is also possible that the PM was involved in discussions over the failing marriage - which also had constitutional implications as Andrew was 4th in line and it was clear that Charles' marriage had already disintegrated - in fact if not officially.

They would also have meet annually at Balmoral where it is again perceivable that a friendship developed.

I am saddened that people always assume Sarah is lying or exaggerating without truly analysing the situation and the possibilities.
Sarah has a good heart and I'm sure her thoughts and prayers are with Margaret's family.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Yet another opportunity for Sarah to put her head above the parapet, hark back to the life she had and lost, and of the people in high places she knew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well she didn't made the cut for the guest list for the invitation only funeral.......but Joan Collins did, lol.
If she didn't have priors for making such claims after the person was dead and no longer able to call her out, then I'd be less sceptical - but she has priors for this behavior (ex: complaining about her parents after both parents were dead to the point that her own sister issued a statement saying that's not the way I remember it; claiming some friend had said Diana had planned to rekindle their friendship just before she died.)
I realize there are widely different opinions regarding Sarah's motives and veracity, I'll admit that I tend to believe she seizes on every opportunity to promote her name and her 'brand' and thus I tend to see her actions through jaundiced eyes.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Couldn't she just have sent a sympathy card to Mark & Carole, and perhaps donated to charity as requested, like a normal person instead of making some sort of a public statement? Its not like anyone would have gone looking for her to make a comment as they would for a member of Parliament or a former member of her government. It just looks like an attempt to get back in the news and seem relevant.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's amazing to me there's this much controversy over a statement that was basically "She was a nice lady to was nice to me, and I enjoyed sharing a cup of tea with her a few times over the years."
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
It's amazing to me there's this much controversy over a statement that was basically "She was a nice lady to was nice to me, and I enjoyed sharing a cup of tea with her a few times over the years."
It is not what was in the statement which was fine and dandy, but rather why make the statement in the first place. She was certainly not closely associated with the former PM in the public mind and no one would have questioned the lack of a statement by the ex Duchess.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Majesty

Well, you know there are folks out there that won't waste time in trying to find something wrong with Sarah or think she's only thinking of herself.

Her words were kind and sincere in tribute to a person who just past away. I don't understand there is a need to try to turn her nice statement into something bad.

Quote:
It is not what was in the statement which was fine and dandy, but rather why make the statement in the first place. She was certainly not closely associated with the former PM in the public mind and no one would have questioned the lack of a statement by the ex Duchess.
Perhaps she just wanted to express her feelings and memories about Margaret. Everyone is expressing their thought and feelings about the late Prime Minister. What's so bad with Sarah doing the same?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Because experience has taught us that whatever she does it makes sense to question her motives.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Maybe she was asked for one by the gossip columnist in question in relation to something else?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Which would lead one to ask why was she talking to a gossip columnist in the first place.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Because experience has taught us that whatever she does it makes sense to question her motives.
Well, I don't think people should try to bring up her past mistakes when all she is doing is passing on her sincere and thoughtful memories on Margaret Thatcher. There was nothing slick, sneaky or sly in her statement.

Sarah has made her mistakes in the past but the sad part is people will never give her a break.