The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Nobility

She's doing exactly what she's been doing for awhile, allowing others to take care of her. It does make sense that she's keeping her ears pricked for an opportunity to bounce back but this trip ain't on her dime. She enjoyed these freebies before the financial situation go as dire as it has, why would she stop now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
My guess is that the the millions she owes for the near bankrupt corporation/business she holds is legally separate from Sarah's private income and funds.
I doubt that's the case. She owes certain money personally and those companies are in her name. Yes they can be separate entities for tax purposes but she still has to announce her assets at tax time.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Administrator

From what I recall if her businesses were set up as LLC or corporations she can relieve herself of personal liabliity. Said companies could also file for bankruptcy protection as well. Not sure if that is the case in the UK.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
From what I recall if her businesses were set up as LLC or corporations she can relieve herself of personal liabliity. Said companies could also file for bankruptcy protection as well. Not sure if that is the case in the UK.
If that is the case then she's safe there but she still has personal debts and if she slips the debt on her companies through bankruptcy it's only going to bring more heat on her for not being accountable.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator

LLC stands for limited liability so again I am not sure how if Sarah's companies were established in this manner or if this applicable in the UK.

But if that is the case and she had some debts of a business nature as long as she can legally prove them to be a part of her business she might be absolved of any PERSONAL responsiblity. Now as an officer of a company she does have a legal responsiblity but if I recall correctly, say she owes 8K in her LLC then the companies can't sue her personally for the money but they can sue the company. Unless she declares bankruptcy of course.

I believe that is the way it is. If someone has their own company I am sure they would be happy to correct me or fill in any missing holes.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Nobility

I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm making the point that she might be safe from the business debts, if your example works in the UK, but not personal debts, like the 6,500 pounds she owes to the Queen's mail service for stamps.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Silver_bic, my posts were in response to this post. I have bolded your statement. If I misunderstood your statement, thats fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
She's doing exactly what she's been doing for awhile, allowing others to take care of her. It does make sense that she's keeping her ears pricked for an opportunity to bounce back but this trip ain't on her dime. She enjoyed these freebies before the financial situation go as dire as it has, why would she stop now?

I doubt that's the case. She owes certain money personally and those companies are in her name. Yes they can be separate entities for tax purposes but she still has to announce her assets at tax time.
She certainly would be liable for her debt with the Royal Mail but anything else operated under her business she might not be liable for. I can't imagine she would mail her business mail thru the Royal Mail. But anything is possible with Sarah at this point.

As I mentioned, depending on how the companies were set up, for example it can be Sarah Ferguson LLC, she might have limited personal liablity. She can be an officer at such a company but again she might not have any personal liability. Does anyone know if her companies were set up in the UK or the US with offices operating in the other country?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Nobility

Got what you mean.

Hartmoor was a US company. Not sure about the rest.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm making the point that she might be safe from the business debts, if your example works in the UK, but not personal debts, like the 6,500 pounds she owes to the Queen's mail service for stamps.
Duchess of York doing 'everything she can' to avoid bankruptcy - Telegraph

Her most recent statement is that all her personal debts have been paid, and that her business debts are being managed (and some disputed).

Anything I've ever read suggest the vast majority (if not all) her business interests have been in the US.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

My understanding is that Sarah's debts in the UK have all been paid (Andrew) and it's the US debts that are still in dispute. She certainly has left herself in a gigantic mess. Her credibility and reputation as someone who doesn't pay her bills is known now and would anyone in their right mind back her in a business venture?
What's tragic is, in this past three months, Sarah could have concentrated her efforts on Children In Crisis. She could have really put the spotlight on the plight of children in various parts of the world such child soldiers in Africa for instance. Sure, there wouldn't be an income for her, but she could have been really trying to highlight the sad situations children are put in as was her goal when she started this charity. Unfortunately, Sarah has been too busy whining about her terrible life while partying with less than honorable wealth celebs as they can provide her with a free ride.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Majesty

This is good to know. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
They aren't millionaires but they give her a bit of solitude and privacy when she needs it.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Unfortunately, Sarah has been too busy whining about her terrible life while partying with less than honorable wealth celebs as they can provide her with a free ride.
To be fair to Sarah, she hasn't spoken to the media since the Oprah interview, so it's not accurate to state that she's been whining about her life. Also the statement about celebs...how do we know they're "less than honourable"?

I suppose Sarah could have done some charity work, but would charities want her as a spokesperson at this time? That's part of her problem right now. Sarah has lost too much credibility for any company or charity to want to be associated with her name, and her name is really all she's been living off.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

PA said he would take care of all her non-US debt, so I guess he's a man of his word.

I don't condone Sarah's doings, but I do feel sad for her. What a life she might have had if only she had behaved. A lesson for all of us.

I agree with rmay286. What charity would want her...

What she needs is financial rehab; the sooner the better.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If someone has their own company I am sure they would be happy to correct me or fill in any missing holes.
You are correct Zonk. We have set up several LLC's to limit our liability. Especially with rental property and tenants suing.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Duchess of York sports a rainbow of colours at her half sister's wedding - Telegraph

After the troubled year, the unusual wedding outfit. The Duchess of York wore a dress with a rainbow of colours to her half-sister's wedding on Saturday.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Here are some more pics of Sarah, Beatrice and Eugenie at the wedding yesterday. What a beautiful bride!

** zimbio gallery: Alice Ferguson Gets Married **

Daily Mail article:

** Just follow me, girls. It’s Fergie and the fascinators as the Duchess of York enjoys a family wedding with Beatrice and Eugenie **
Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A beautiful bride indeed, but not a beautiful Sarah.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Commoner

There are a myriad of photos available to see on the Isifa website too (isifa.com). I'd post them, however I don't hold an account- sorry! Besides the girls and Sarah you can see shots of other Ferguson family members including Eliza (Sarah's other half-sister) who I guess was Alice's bridesmaid, her stepmother Sue and her nephew Seamus Makim. There is a photo of Sarah and Eugenie talking to Andrew (Sarah's half-brother) but his head is down and partly obscured by Eugenie's fascinator.

Alice was lucky to have been blessed with a lovely sunny day. She looked radiant.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

An article about the presence of Sarah, Beatrice and Eugenie at the wedding:

Sarah, Duchess of York attends family wedding - hellomagazine.com
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes indeed, a very beautiful bride. I see though that between this one and the Greek Royal Wedding and, also, Autumn Phillips' wedding gown that lace bolero jackets seem to be what is *the* fashion for Brides these days.

Not that I'm complaining, as a Bolero Jacket is one of my favourite styles. :)
Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's been reported many times that she gets these holidays for free.
Hi..

really she gets these holiday for free... I never gets free for my vacations/holidays.. I always paid for it...

Closed Thread

Tags
discdish, duchess of york, mandarin oriental, sarah duchess of york, sarah ferguson, the young victoria