Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 14: February-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marsel you can not be serious about "poor sarah"..... I heard on tv that she employs a staff of 9 including a private yoga teacher, she is no more able to manage her finances than those people living on a counsel estate (and they, quite probably, are able to manage their finances because they have to).

And I do not understand why the Hungarian government presented her the bill for her daughter and not to Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

No, I wasn’t serious. ;)

Although I often do think that the criticism against Sarah is a bit unfair, this particular occasion is not the case.
On the other hand, Sarah is a private citizen not subsidized by the British taxpayers and thus is free to employ any number of people and rent as many houses as she wishes.

Sarah Ferguson owed money to an accountancy firm, a solicitor and a family-run photographic printing company, court papers show.
The 49-year-old, who recently starred in a television documentary exploring the problems of life on council housing estates, is understood to have settled the outstanding bills

Duchess of York 'taken to court over £21,539 in unpaid bills' - Telegraph
--------------------------
There is no excuse for not settling an account. Many businesses struggle and can close down when people do not pay their debts! :ohmy:

Sorry to disagree but there are often a number of reasons why people can't settle an account, although I don't think any of them apply in Sarah's case.

Where I work we often have parents unable to pay the school fees due to changed circumstances such as losing their job, divorce, illness meaning loss of pay for a period of time etc.

As far as I am aware Sarah hasn't any of these legitimate excuses.

Sarah has never been good with money, going back to the early years of her marriage (as everyone knows). I couldn't find it in that article, but other articles have quoted her spokesperson as saying that Sarah has accountants to deal with her finances and that most of those outstanding accounts were eventually settled.

I hope for Sarah's sake that the recession + the end of her Weight Watchers contract last year don't put too much of a dent in her income. I'm not saying this to criticize her, but I'm not sure Sarah would know how to cope financially if her income really dropped. Her solution to her money problems in the 90s seems to have been to work harder and earn more money...I'm not sure she's ever learned how to budget.

I have serious doubts that the word "budget" is in Sarah's vocabulary. She IS a hard worker, but she seems to make some dubious choices while doing so. Just IMHO.

Why present the bill to Sarah? Presumably Daddy has some cash.

But renting the house for all that money and never using it AND paying for yet another psychic is questionable.

Sarah Ferguson's 50k interview

Duchess of York is set to receive £50,000 for a tell-all interview.
Sarah Ferguson - who has two children, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, with Prince Andrew - has reportedly signed an exclusive deal with Hello! magazine to mark her 50th birthday next month.

Mere £50,000 for a tell-all interview? Bloody unlikely.
Unless Sarah is really badly in need of money, £50,000 is likely to be paid for a couple of pictures plus the usual “I wouldn’t like to tell anything about the Royal Family but...”

Yes, I have read some good reviews about The Young Victoria too. Does anyone know when it would be released in Canada (or has it been already released?)
<...>

The movie will be released in Canada on September 19 (I believe the release will take place during the Toronto Film Festival).

Discussion of the film "The Young Victoria" has been moved to the appropriate thread.

Here are pics from Sarah's latest events - what an
extreme contrast there is between the first and
the following ones..

Sarah...
1. during her visit to the Maternity Hospital in
Kathmandu on September 5, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

2. at the Jaeger-LeCoultre Party at the Cipriani Hotel during
the 66th Venice Film Festival on September 8, 2009 in Venice,
Italy.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** zimbio **

3. at the Woman Of Substance Awards at Dorchester Hotel
on September 10, 2009 in London, England

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Thank you for the photos, Ice! Poor Sarah. I guess she will never learn that all she needs to do is wear make-up and do her hair when she is at events where she will be photographed. It makes such a difference and it doesn't take that much effort.

Are we looking at the same photos? I think Sarah looks nice, hair down and dressed age appropriate.

I am afraid that I agree with the poster before, she looks dreadful. The photos in the black dress on the contrary are very nice it is amazing what a little care and make up can do.

I think we are, Zonk. I was referring to the difference, as Ice pointed out, between the First Set of photos and the next two sets. I realize that Sarah can't look glamorous at all events but a little make-up goes a long way. It's just my opinion, Zonk. I am sorry if I offend...

:previous: You didn't offend!

I didn't get your reference to the changing circumstances (public service vs. glamour). Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Yes, Sarah does look nice IMO in the second and third set of pictures. It looks like for the first set that she didn't wear any makeup (or a ton of it at least) which is wise considering the location of her public service.

No worries:flowers:

Thanks, Zonk. Sometimes the written word just doesn't come through as one would like. I guess this is an example of that! :)

Iceflower, thank you very, very much for the pictures. :flowers:
I think Sarah looks beautiful: the 'natural' pictures are even more appealing to me even though they show every freckle and wrinkle.

The pictures from Kathmandu were simply amazing: the image of Sarah with the children is very heart-warming, so is this picture. And this cutie is just plain adorable.
Incidentally, weren't this pictures taken at the same time when Sarah and Andrew were supposed to have taken a vacation in an exclusive villa? :rolleyes:

Sarah looked very nice during both the Venice Film Festival and the Woman Of Substance Awards. She looked quite as beautiful as Catherine Deneuve in this picture, and that's a hard fit for anyone.

Just as a matter of curiosity: why did she take her left glove off? As far as I know the etiquette, you don't take your gloves off when greeting people: it is only recommended to remove the right glove (or left one for left-handed people) during the meal time.

Last edited:
You are all most welcome as always :flowers::flowers:
Incidentally, weren't this pictures taken at the same time when Sarah and Andrew were supposed to have taken a vacation in an exclusive villa? :rolleyes:

If I remember it right the article about their holidays appeared
one or even two weeks before her visit in Nepal, as Sarah has
been in Spain with her daughters at the end of August, it's
at least possible as to the dates ;)

Sarah attended another event yesterday,

Sarah Ferguson at Gordon and Tana Ramsay's fundraising dinner
held at Claridges Hotel. London, England - 10.09.09

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

Sarah looks great in that teal colour!:flowers:

yes but even lefthanded people great with their right hand I think. It is probably just Sarah doing whatever...
Just as a matter of curiosity:
why did she take her left glove off? As far as I know the etiquette, you don't take your gloves off when greeting people:
it is only recommended to remove the right glove (or left one for left-handed people) during the meal time.

The Duchess is looking very elegant! I love the 'green' dress and her heels are amazing...

I think Sarah looks lovely in these pictures.

Heels? Perish the thought! What about those legs??

I've always thought the Duchess has glorious legs.

What's the protocol for Royals wearing gloves? I always think they look so very elegant. Her Majesty the Queen and Princess Anne always seem to favour gloves on engagements.
(Sorry if the questions off topic!)

I think HM wears them as she has to shake so many hands. Somebody got this one? I'm not sure. . . :ermm:
I think Diana blew that off and Sarah followed suit. .

I've always thought the Duchess has glorious legs.

What's the protocol for Royals wearing gloves? I always think they look so very elegant. Her Majesty the Queen and Princess Anne always seem to favour gloves on engagements.
(Sorry if the questions off topic!)

Wearing gloves during official events was a must in past.
The etiquette has of course relaxed since then, however the Queen still wears gloves on all official engagements. As per the royal etiquette, long gloves should be worn at a gala ball, court presentation, “White Tie” dinners, dinners in Honour of a dignitary, formal indoor occasions, receptions, on arrival at a luncheon or dinner party and in similar cases.
Short gloves are worn upon discretion, however it is highly recommended to wear them in church (or places of worship), at semi-official events, practically at all outdoor events or events where you are expected to be introduced to a large number of people.

There are general rules for both long and short gloves:
* No jewellery should be worn over gloves, with the exception of bracelets.
* They cannot be carried but should be part of the attire.
* If one is wearing gloves, they should be kept on at all times, including when being presented to someone or while dancing (at a formal party).
* When the drinks and hors d’oeuvres are passed, it is recommended to either remove one glove (the right one) or turn gloves back at the wrist.
* At the dining table, the etiquette dictates to either remove only the right glove, or remove both gloves.
* Gloves should be removed when eating, drinking, smoking, applying makeup or playing cards.

As for non-Royals who are presented to Royals, nowadays, it is not necessary to wear gloves during such ceremonies (unless otherwise warned beforehand): however if you do wear gloves, you should not remove them during the presentation.
I must say that the gloves-related rules have really relaxed: I’ve seen many Royals (especially Scandinavian ones), who remove at least one glove upon arrival to great people more ‘informally’. I suppose Sarah just followed the suit but I don't understand why she removed the left glove.

Last edited:
An interesting bit of ettiquette that I picked up from watching various Royal boards is that Royal ladies (except in Britain) remove the right glove in order to shake hands. It's considered more polite. However, according to North American ettiquette, a lady leaves her gloves on when greeting people. I wonder if it's an instance of the Old World custom surviving in the New World after it's been disguarded in the Old? :flowers:

Pics 15.9.2009

Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, speaks at the first Cinema
Against AIDS Toronto gala September 15, 2009.
The gala benefits The Foundation for AIDS research (amFAR)
and Dignitas International.
I like the two pics of the speech very much :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga/getty **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom