The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Last year she went to Hull, now the Northern city of Manchester is the latest to benefit from the Duchess of York's attentions.
Convinced that what the recession-hit city needs is a good dose of community spirit, the 49-year-old Royal decides to try and involve a family in the community for a new TV show

The Duchess Of York tries to put the community spirit back into Manchester | Mail Online

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Obviously Sarah feels some empathy for the working class and probably the money she gets from doing this show will come in handy.
As always I read the comments from the Mail readers underneath the article.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Those comments are practically beyond the pale. The name-calling, the hyperbole...

People are free to have their opinions of Sarah, but some of those commenters seem to heap abuse on Sarah (and Beatrice/Eugenie/Andrew) just because they have nothing better to do.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Majesty

I find that a lot of the comments about members of the Royal Family are almost the same. Just the names in the comments change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Those comments are practically beyond the pale. The name-calling, the hyperbole...

People are free to have their opinions of Sarah, but some of those commenters seem to heap abuse on Sarah (and Beatrice/Eugenie/Andrew) just because they have nothing better to do.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Obviously Sarah feels some empathy for the working class and probably the money she gets from doing this show will come in handy.
Totally agree with you about Sarah, Duchess of York.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I find that a lot of the comments about members of the Royal Family are almost the same. Just the names in the comments change.
That's true, and I've seen many really nasty comments about most members of the royal family (really everyone apart from the Queen), but these comments struck me as particularly mean-spirited, like: "near-imbecile" and blaming Sarah for her "freeloading over weight drunken daughters".

If people can't stand Sarah, they can't stand Sarah, but at least they could have kept the name-calling to Sarah and left their feelings about Beatrice and Eugenie for another comment! Then again, I'm starting to realize how true it is that some people (often those who are least informed: "Ms. York"? really?!) tar all the royals with the same brush.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the important part of these comments is that they are mainly made by people living in the UK, so it gives an insight to what people, from mainly the working class, are thinking and they are the majority of the population. They make these comments because the probably feel resentful and should be thought of and indicators and not just shrugged off as York bashing and being mean spirited.
These people pay taxes and perhaps they are not very articulate but they are expressing perhaps what they feel.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
-----but these comments struck me as particularly mean-spirited, like: "near-imbecile" and blaming Sarah for her "freeloading over weight drunken daughters".

If people can't stand Sarah, they can't stand Sarah, but at least they could have kept the name-calling to Sarah and left their feelings about Beatrice and Eugenie for another comment! Then again, I'm starting to realize how true it is that some people (often those who are least informed: "Ms. York"? really?!) tar all the royals with the same brush.
The comment section is open to everyone and although I am sure the Mail has indulged in it's normal moderating style, most of the comments reflect the opinion of members of the UK.

Calling her Ms York is sarcasm not lack of information.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think the important part of these comments is that they are mainly made by people living in the UK, so it gives an insight to what people, from mainly the working class, are thinking and they are the majority of the population. They make these comments because the probably feel resentful and should be thought of and indicators and not just shrugged off as York bashing and being mean spirited.
These people pay taxes and perhaps they are not very articulate but they are expressing perhaps what they feel.
Actually, the comment section only reflects the opinion of people who read The Daily Mail online and are invested enough to comment. Most of these people live in the UK, but quite a few seem to live elsewhere (judging from their own self-reporting of their location).

I don't doubt that the comment section accurately reflects the opinion of these readers, but frankly, if I took online comments as an accurate representation of "the majority of the population", from some online newspapers I'd think 90% of Canada's population loathed the prime minister (even right after his re-election)...which clearly can't be the case.

People who bash the royals have every right to express their opinion, but it doesn't mean they don't come across as really nasty and petty.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

The comments reflect the opinion of the Daily Mail readers who are mainly working class and they do reflect what the working class think of the Duchess of York which probably doesn´t reach the other side of the world, there is not only the Daily Mail that caters for them there are other newspapers in the UK and on the whole the people that she is aiming to help - the working class - do not seem to be so appreciative of her as perhaps she would be if she limited herself to the American continent, in fact she is very popular there for some reason and it might be a good idea for her to concentrate her efforts there instead of trying to teach the working class of Britain to live with limited means, something that she doesn´t seem to be an expert at.
Perhaps the people who like her think that any criticism is nasty and petty, but in the UK she does not have the following she seems to have abroad, especially when she condescends to teach hard working people to live on very little.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Actually, the comment section only reflects the opinion of people who read The Daily Mail online and are invested enough to comment. Most of these people live in the UK, but quite a few seem to live elsewhere (judging from their own self-reporting of their location).----- if I took online comments as an accurate representation of "the majority of the population", from some online newspapers I'd think 90% of Canada's population loathed the prime minister (even right after his re-election)...which clearly can't be the case.

People who bash the royals have every right to express their opinion, but it doesn't mean they don't come across as really nasty and petty.
As with any moderated site, the posts and posters are likely to change as the hours/days/weeks go by. I'm sure many of the comments (good and bad) regarding Sarah & her brood never made it onto the site. I don't think anyone has suggested a majority of the population are represented by the comments posted, I have yet to come across one member of the lower class who thinks Sarah or her daughters are an asset to the UK. These silly programmes with a wealthy older woman 'teaching' the working class anything are bound to be seen as a waste.

It's wonderful that Sarah seems to be popular elsewhere and those posters who think so have equal right to gush over every little thing, but to call anyone who disagrees, bashers, nasty or petty is rather sad, IMO, are they not allowed to give their opinion?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Serene Highness

I really wasn't referring to posters on this forum, only the commenters on the Daily Mail. Also I said "the royals," not just Sarah. I think Daily Mail readers bash many (if not most) of the royals on a regular basis, and some of the comments are very nasty and go beyond mere criticism. I think everyone should be free to express their opinion of the royals, however positive or negative. It would be incredibly dull if everyone did nothing but "gush." That being said, I don't think anyone is helping their case when they make the types of comments I saw beneath the article Skydragon posted. Sarah, Beatrice, Anne, Edward, Charles...I wouldn't call any of these people a "near-imbecile," regardless of my personal opinion of them, and I think it's sad that so many people in the UK resort to name-calling in their discussions of the royals nowadays. It doesn't speak well for the British people, and it doesn't instil me with confidence about the future of the monarchy.

"Working class people" may well have been outraged because they felt Sarah was being patronizing, but I feel like I see similar comments for most of the royals, and it seems to speak to a larger discontent (at least within the Daily Mail readership) with the whole royal family, possibly barring the Queen. Maybe the lower classes really are fed up with the monarchy and maybe they have a right to be, but then what will happen as more and more people lose income due to the recession? The Netherlands just saw what can happen when a recently unemployed person decides to take out his frustrations on the monarchy.

I agree that Sarah is more popular in North America, but I can understand why she would want to return "home" to Britain; but perhaps people aren't ready to welcome her back. Then again, maybe they are. I guess time will tell how easily Sarah finds a foothold in Britain.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think Skydragon was referring to this site. If I remember right, the Mail moderates comments and doesn't post every comment that people send in, it picks and chooses. For a few years, you couldn't get a positive comment about Camilla posted regardless of how many people wrote in. I think they're a bit more balanced these days.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Not too sure about that. I happen to read the Mail every day, and MANY I tell you MANY a day I have written comments that are in direct contrast with some of the comments already posted. NOT ONE of my posts have ever made it.

Honestly, I think if you are on the Mail we don't like you list...you will rarely find a nice opinion about that person. I understand that the site is moderated but I just question its (the Mail) objectiveness. So to bring the subject back to full circle, I am not surprised that there is nothing positive about Sarah, her daughters and/or Andrew. They don't seem to care for Charles or Camilla either for that matter. The only person I think they like and/or respect is the Queen. And maybe Phillip on a odd day.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Honestly, I think if you are on the Mail we don't like you list...you will rarely find a nice opinion about that person. I understand that the site is moderated but I just question its (the Mail) objectiveness. So to bring the subject back to full circle, I am not surprised that there is nothing positive about Sarah, her daughters and/or Andrew. They don't seem to care for Charles or Camilla either for that matter. The only person I think they like and/or respect is the Queen. And maybe Phillip on a odd day.
Oh yeah, I totally agree with that (the only person the Mail respects is the Queen). They don't seem to care for Charles and Camilla much more than they do for Sarah, Andrew and family. I also think they probably choose what types of comments are posted, not to mention, I think the articles are often written with a particular slant which encourages certain types of comments.

I'm not surprised that there are few positive comments about the royals in general and Sarah in particular, but for some reason, in this case I was struck by just how negative the comments were. Maybe the perception that Sarah's new reality program was condescending to the lower classes really did hit a raw nerve.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Royal Highness

Fergie's mid air horror
Duchess of York's mid air horror | The Sun |News|Royals
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe if Sarah was actually HELPING the people instead of filming a reality tv show it would go over better.
Maybe she could produce a theatrical version of "The Full Monty" in that town. The similarities are there. . .

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Aristocracy

Sarah marches to the of her own drummer, always did and probably will. She may have not been cut out to be a royal but she doing things her way and the is empowering. When I see that shes on US tv i TIVO that and watch becuase I know she'll have something to say. Whether I like it or not isn't the point.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

em⋅pow⋅er   /ɛmˈpaʊər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [em-pou-er] Show IPA
–verb (used with object) 1.to give power or authority to; authorize, esp. by legal or official means: I empowered my agent to make the deal for me. The local ordinance empowers the board of health to close unsanitary restaurants. 2.to enable or permit: Wealth empowered him to live a comfortable life.

I wasn't aware that Sarah was powerless. . . . .
Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

I recently had to do a whole paper centred around the concept of "empowerment"...in a slightly different context, but here are some contemporary definitions of the word empower : "To give moral or physical power, faculties, or abilities to." (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996). Also, the American Heritage Dictionary (2006) describes empowerment as a "contemporary buzzword" used in politics and pop psychology.

I think the point is that some people believe Sarah "gives power" to other people through her speeches and her example--makes them feel more self-confident and capable of conquering their own problems.

Closed Thread