Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 14: February-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the comment section only reflects the opinion of people who read The Daily Mail online and are invested enough to comment. Most of these people live in the UK, but quite a few seem to live elsewhere (judging from their own self-reporting of their location).----- if I took online comments as an accurate representation of "the majority of the population", from some online newspapers I'd think 90% of Canada's population loathed the prime minister (even right after his re-election)...which clearly can't be the case.

People who bash the royals have every right to express their opinion, but it doesn't mean they don't come across as really nasty and petty.
As with any moderated site, the posts and posters are likely to change as the hours/days/weeks go by. I'm sure many of the comments (good and bad) regarding Sarah & her brood never made it onto the site. I don't think anyone has suggested a majority of the population are represented by the comments posted, I have yet to come across one member of the lower class who thinks Sarah or her daughters are an asset to the UK. These silly programmes with a wealthy older woman 'teaching' the working class anything are bound to be seen as a waste.

It's wonderful that Sarah seems to be popular elsewhere and those posters who think so have equal right to gush over every little thing, but to call anyone who disagrees, bashers, nasty or petty is rather sad, IMO, are they not allowed to give their opinion?

I really wasn't referring to posters on this forum, only the commenters on the Daily Mail. Also I said "the royals," not just Sarah. I think Daily Mail readers bash many (if not most) of the royals on a regular basis, and some of the comments are very nasty and go beyond mere criticism. I think everyone should be free to express their opinion of the royals, however positive or negative. It would be incredibly dull if everyone did nothing but "gush." That being said, I don't think anyone is helping their case when they make the types of comments I saw beneath the article Skydragon posted. Sarah, Beatrice, Anne, Edward, Charles...I wouldn't call any of these people a "near-imbecile," regardless of my personal opinion of them, and I think it's sad that so many people in the UK resort to name-calling in their discussions of the royals nowadays. It doesn't speak well for the British people, and it doesn't instil me with confidence about the future of the monarchy.

"Working class people" may well have been outraged because they felt Sarah was being patronizing, but I feel like I see similar comments for most of the royals, and it seems to speak to a larger discontent (at least within the Daily Mail readership) with the whole royal family, possibly barring the Queen. Maybe the lower classes really are fed up with the monarchy and maybe they have a right to be, but then what will happen as more and more people lose income due to the recession? The Netherlands just saw what can happen when a recently unemployed person decides to take out his frustrations on the monarchy.

I agree that Sarah is more popular in North America, but I can understand why she would want to return "home" to Britain; but perhaps people aren't ready to welcome her back. Then again, maybe they are. I guess time will tell how easily Sarah finds a foothold in Britain.

I don't think Skydragon was referring to this site. If I remember right, the Mail moderates comments and doesn't post every comment that people send in, it picks and chooses. For a few years, you couldn't get a positive comment about Camilla posted regardless of how many people wrote in. I think they're a bit more balanced these days.

Not too sure about that. I happen to read the Mail every day, and MANY I tell you MANY a day I have written comments that are in direct contrast with some of the comments already posted. NOT ONE of my posts have ever made it.

Honestly, I think if you are on the Mail we don't like you list...you will rarely find a nice opinion about that person. I understand that the site is moderated but I just question its (the Mail) objectiveness. So to bring the subject back to full circle, I am not surprised that there is nothing positive about Sarah, her daughters and/or Andrew. They don't seem to care for Charles or Camilla either for that matter. The only person I think they like and/or respect is the Queen. And maybe Phillip on a odd day.

Honestly, I think if you are on the Mail we don't like you list...you will rarely find a nice opinion about that person. I understand that the site is moderated but I just question its (the Mail) objectiveness. So to bring the subject back to full circle, I am not surprised that there is nothing positive about Sarah, her daughters and/or Andrew. They don't seem to care for Charles or Camilla either for that matter. The only person I think they like and/or respect is the Queen. And maybe Phillip on a odd day.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that (the only person the Mail respects is the Queen). They don't seem to care for Charles and Camilla much more than they do for Sarah, Andrew and family. I also think they probably choose what types of comments are posted, not to mention, I think the articles are often written with a particular slant which encourages certain types of comments.

I'm not surprised that there are few positive comments about the royals in general and Sarah in particular, but for some reason, in this case I was struck by just how negative the comments were. Maybe the perception that Sarah's new reality program was condescending to the lower classes really did hit a raw nerve.

Maybe if Sarah was actually HELPING the people instead of filming a reality tv show it would go over better.
Maybe she could produce a theatrical version of "The Full Monty" in that town. The similarities are there. . .

:whistling:

Sarah marches to the of her own drummer, always did and probably will. She may have not been cut out to be a royal but she doing things her way and the is empowering. When I see that shes on US tv i TIVO that and watch becuase I know she'll have something to say. Whether I like it or not isn't the point.

em⋅pow⋅er   /ɛmˈpaʊ
thinsp.png
ər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [em-pou-er] Show IPA
–verb (used with object) 1.to give power or authority to; authorize, esp. by legal or official means: I empowered my agent to make the deal for me. The local ordinance empowers the board of health to close unsanitary restaurants. 2.to enable or permit: Wealth empowered him to live a comfortable life.

I wasn't aware that Sarah was powerless. . . . .:ermm:

I recently had to do a whole paper centred around the concept of "empowerment"...in a slightly different context, but here are some contemporary definitions of the word empower ;): "To give moral or physical power, faculties, or abilities to." (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996). Also, the American Heritage Dictionary (2006) describes empowerment as a "contemporary buzzword" used in politics and pop psychology.

I think the point is that some people believe Sarah "gives power" to other people through her speeches and her example--makes them feel more self-confident and capable of conquering their own problems.

Pics 12.5.2009

Sarah Ferguson leaving the Dorchester Hotel in London,
Britain - 12 May 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I notice on her bracelet that Eugenie is on it. I wonder if Beatrice is on the other side.

The pics from the second link are from day two, must have been really
touching for Sarah.... Here are additional pics from the second day:

Oslo Freedom Forum at the Grand Hotel in Oslo: Sarah was pleasently
surprised when a video of all the people the Duchess has helped over the
years was shown. The video was made by her two daughters and Sarah
got teary about it, May 19, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

It's funny, the description of the picture gallery was in French, which I can read to some extent, but I guess I didn't bother or I would have known that was why Sarah was crying! Now I also see that the article opened with a disparaging comment about Sarah's taste in clothing, of course, but it did say she'd "improved in the last little while."

It is great to hear that Children in Crisis has been around for sixteen years and is still actively helping children, and Beatrice and Eugenie are obviously proud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 24.5.2009

Sarah, Duchess of York, at the Wondermum Awards, Claridge's
Hotel, London, England, May 24th 2009 - lovely outfit she wore :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Indeed! Very flattering as it's not too tight, it's a perfect length, and a lovely colored print. Well done, Sarah. *flowers*

The Duchess looks gorgeous! I love the dress and prefer the heels with the stockings instead of those flat pumps.

Pics 1.6.2009

Sarah Ferguson Duchess of York and Princess Eugenie of York
dine at 'Scott Restaurant' then proceeded to the Dorchester
Hotel, London, June 1, 2009

- The lady in the background of pic 1 looks like Sarah's sister Jane.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Nice pictures...I think it is Jane. I wonder if she brought her children for a visit as well?

Nice pictures...I think it is Jane. I wonder if she brought her children for a visit as well?

Maybe she did, that reminded me of a pic of Jane's son Seamus,
he was pictured with Sarah on May 12, I had posted other pics
from that day, but not this one, he's 28 or 29 now, as he was
born in 1980 and he's quite tall :)------> Sarah and nephew Seamus

And here are some additional pics from yesterday night:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** abaca gallery **

Both York ladies look very, very nice. I wonder where Beatrice was?:)

Wow...he is 28 now! Time flies.

Nice picture all around. And it appears that Seamus has the red hair.

THANK YOU Avicenna! (and thank you russophile!) That is exactely the one! She looks so beautiful, which is hard for me to say about her, but in that picture, with that hair, and the color of her dress, she is beautiful. I know she was much younger there, but her hair just really makes her shine.
Her hair now, just makes her look unpolished and frumpy, even when she does make an attempt to have it styled.
Thank you both for taking the time to find the one that I was thinking of!!!:flowers:

I definately agree with you that the hair the way the duchess is wearing it now, is not good for her. I wonder doesn't anybody tell her that? I really like the duchess but i was thinking this about her hair for a long time.

it doesn't appear to be a recent photo. i could be wrong but she looks a lot younger in it.

Whether recent or old, the picture has definitely been airbrushed. The skin is too smooth and the colours are typical for airbrushed pictures. To illustrate what I mean, here are two pictures of Princess Antonia, Marchioness of Douro - this is the original one and this is the airbrushed one (with rather crude program and technique, I admit). The Marchioness is a beautiful woman in any case but simple airbrush took some 10-15 years off. This is a black and white photograph, thus leaving very few editing options, whereas Sarah's picture is much easier to airbrush. The clear colours, the lights and the skink colour and smoothness are all clear indications some work was done.

It's still a beautiful picture of Sarah though.

I thought that the picture was probably airbrushed, but she still looks better with makeup on.;) Thank you for the two pictures of the Marchioness of Douro. There's quite a contrast.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom