Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 14: February-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the difference be that Lady Helen is reserved about discussing her personal life, has no weight problem, is beautiful, and carries herself well? She's was also born into the Windsor dynasty, and her parents are HRHs. Her marriage appears to be solid, and her husband has had a brush with cancer. The latter fact could have earned her additional sympathy. I agree however that there's hypocrisy where these two women are concerned. I remember when Lady Helen was considered "wild"...she sunbathed topless and was reputed to not get along with her mother (horrors! a teenage girl not getting along with her mother!:D). Lady Helen seems to have ridden that storm, though, and is now respected.

The mention of Lady Helen Taylor is a very good example of the hypocrisy that follows the criticism of Sarah. Namely she wants fame, she just does appearances to get noticed, she uses her royal connections to make money, she speaks to the press. Sarah and Helen are the 2 'royals' that the press have the most access to, both give interviews, Helen was chosen to publicise first Calvin Klein, then Bulgari and now Armani thanks to her royal connections. To think otherwise is very naive, there are many attractive Lady so and sos around. Both have made money from their royal connections. Both attend openings of various galleries, fashion shows, Helen models.

"she would attend the opening of an envelope if it'll keep her name and pic in the papers?"
It must be my sense of humour, because that is how I read this - as humour!
The difference between Helen and Sarah, is indeed that Helen does not talk about her connections, but she is also a very minor royal and has never been in the limelight in the same way as Sarah, an ex royal, has chosen to be.
I feel sad to see all of these wonderful posters leaving. They are much too special to lose, imho.
I have to agree, if all the interesting posters feel forced to leave, TRF's will become just another 'fan' site.
----------------------
Regrets? Sarah, Duchess of York has more than a few – not least failing to 'weather’ her marriage. In a remarkably candid interview, she tells Lucy Cavendish about her new film, her 'diabolical’ love life and why she wishes she could rewind 20 years and have another go

Sarah, Duchess of York exclusive: 'The only thing I ever succeeded at was failure' - Telegraph

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

The Telegraph article has a link to Sarah's charity Children in Crisis. It's an interesting site to see what projects they have running and support, surprising too how many countries they work in.

http://childrenincrisis.org/

I'm not sure where in the article Sarah is blaming Diana for her weight problems. She did say that the unfavorable comparisons made in the press upset her so that she binge ate. At worst, the only thing she says about Diana is that she perhaps was not sympathetic to her situation. Where do you see otherwise?

I read the headline. It said that comparisons to Diana made her binge. Diana was not sympathetic to her situation. Diana is long dead and buried. Sarah currently remembers what happened to her and why she binged and brings Diana into the mix. Personally I do not believe this would be a nice thing for any one of us to say. Perhaps I should have added the media as well since they were the ones who made the comparisons and made her overeat. My point was that Sarah should own up to her past mistakes and either not talk about them or stop blaming others for them.:flowers:

Personally, I think that other women could find this encouraging. I don't ever plan to run along a beach in a bikini; but I can certainly identify with this quote:

"In other words they have to take things slowly and say 'right, I'm not doing this because I have to get into a pair of blue jeans, I need to do this because if I don't I'm going to die of heart disease'."

I have 2.5 years before I'm 50, and I'd love to be a healthy body-weight by then.:ermm:

Will it ever end or even slow down?? It seems like there is an interview each week about one thing or the other.:nonono:

It doesn't matter how slim or gorgeous she or others might see her to be, I find it very distasteful for the mother of the two princesses (as she likes to remind us) to be selling herself in this way!:nonono::nonono:
"In other words they have to take things slowly and say 'right, I'm not doing this because I have to get into a pair of blue jeans, I need to do this because if I don't I'm going to die of heart disease'."
I find the exercise regimes sold to women to prevent heart disease, to be a myth. I have lost a few good friends to heart disease, none smoked, all exercised on a regular basis, all were slim, some never ate meat and one was only 23. The thing that can help prevent premature death from heart disease is regular checks and a good doctor, not the myth of exercise and a good diet!

I'm 23...:ohmy:

That's kind of scary.

Exercise and a good diet do reduce rates of heart disease, but some of it is genetic. Anyway, it's definitely healthier to be slim and in shape, than the reverse.

If nothing else, Sarah is brave for vowing to run down the beach in a bikini at the age of 50.

It doesn't matter how slim or gorgeous she or others might see her to be, I find it very distasteful for the mother of the two princesses (as she likes to remind us) to be selling herself in this way!:nonono::nonono:I find the exercise regimes sold to women to prevent heart disease, to be a myth. I have lost a few good friends to heart disease, none smoked, all exercised on a regular basis, all were slim, some never ate meat and one was only 23. The thing that can help prevent premature death from heart disease is regular checks and a good doctor, not the myth of exercise and a good diet!

Yes, but what does the good doctor tell you to do? Get plenty of exercise, eat a good diet, and maintain a healthy weight.

If nothing else, Sarah is brave for vowing to run down the beach in a bikini at the age of 50.

Yes, but IMHO you can't say in one interview that now that you're older and wiser, you would do things as a Royal quite differently and then step out and promise to do the next undignified thing. She is the mother of two princesses who don't like to be photographed in a bikini on a beach but their own mother is encouraging the media to take pics of her in exactly that situation. With things like that, Sarah IMHo is encouraging the media to explore her (and consequently her daughters as well).

The mention of Lady Helen Taylor is a very good example of the hypocrisy that follows the criticism of Sarah.
Sarah isn't criticised for having royal connections rather for the way she is perceived to brashly milk that association.
I don't think I have ever heard Helen gratuitiously name-drop. With Sarah, you can't get through one interview without having 'do-you-know-who-I-am' type remarks.
She is who she is and people will only ever be interested in her for her royal connections, however she could take some pointers from Helen on how not to appear to exploit it.

Apart from that, I don't really have anything against her. I think it is very admirable the way she has taken her destiny into her own hands and I find her spirited.
These days she embarrasses mostly herself, not the royal family. She's more like a mildly entertaining celebrity and shouldn't be judged by the same standards as the royals, I think.
The thing that can help prevent premature death from heart disease is regular checks and a good doctor, not the myth of exercise and a good diet!
This is not really a a myth. Every doctor will tell you to walk as much as you can and eat your greens.

The difference between Helen and Sarah, is indeed that Helen does not talk about her connections, but she is also a very minor royal and has never been in the limelight in the same way as Sarah, an ex royal, has chosen to be.

I think this is the key point.

Every doctor will tell you to walk as much as you can and eat your greens.
Indeed they do, but it is a myth that these actions will prevent everyone from suffering from or dying from Heart disease. I think it is wrong of Sarah to say that "if I don't I'm going to die of heart disease'. No Sarah you may die of Heart disease but you may die if you do!:D (You could even have a heart attack whilst following her advise):rolleyes::D Anyone who is about to embark on any exercise regime should be checked out by a doctor first!

I've been thinking about why people react to Sarah in the way some mods here describe as "Bashing" - including me, though I have always tried to argue my case with understandible opinions and not out of pure spite - and hope that this has been seen. I believe a main reason could be that Sarah Windsor née Ferguson polarises people. Which is not bad, sometimes even necessary for a celebrity but is not suitable for a Royal. Because Royals should not in the eyes of Royalists attract attention, the louder, the better through their behaviour but their "destiny" is to harmonize society, to give people something positive, to be a kind of glue for a nation. And that Sarah is definately not and never was. Thus her connections to the Royal family - no matter if she tells about them on her own or is questioned about it non-stop give people reason to not like her.

Many more people die each year of heart disease that is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle than the ones who are predisposed to it genetically. It's like stating that you can get lung cancer even if you don't smoke. Can you? Yes. Do you have a significantly better chance of getting it if you do smoke? Absolutely.

Sarah is speaking about the much more common kind of heart disease where people who may or may not already have the genetic disposition but are doing the real damage to their heart with their own actions. The kind that kills over 100,000 people per year in the UK.

As for her bikini stroll, if a woman her age has the confidence to do it, let her. HRH The Princess of Hanover, nee HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco (age 52) is often seen in a bikini at the beach. Granted, she is only technically the mother of one princess. :whistling:

Last edited:
Many more people die each year of heart disease that is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle than the ones who are predisposed to it genetically. It's like stating that you can get lung cancer even if you don't smoke. Can you? Yes. Do you have a significantly better chance of getting it if you do smoke? Absolutely.

Sarah is speaking about the much more common kind of heart disease where people who may or may not already have the genetic disposition but are doing the real damage to their heart with their own actions. The kind that kills over 100,000 people per year in the UK.

As for her bikini stroll, if a woman her age has the confidence to do it, let her. HRH The Princess of Hanover, nee HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco (age 52) is often seen in a bikini at the beach. Granted, she is only technically the mother of one princess. :whistling:

And granted Caroline has the figure and stature to walk around in whatever she pleases,she pulls off anything,while Sarah doesn't have that ability.Just watch the pics giov so kindly added today to see what I mean....not going anywhere near her offspring...the pics speak for themselves.

Would this do?Think so.

I doubt Caroline of Monace has ever invited the media that way, non?

Sarah's bikini snaps are more about confidence for women of her age. She is trying to present an image of a person who has struggled with weight living a healthier lifestyle and loving herself just as she is. That is the point she is trying to make. Caroline may look better in designer clothes but I have seen enough beach photos of her with hunched shoulders and sagging belly. It doesn't really matter though because Caroline carries herself with the same kind of confidence that Sarah is talking about.

I doubt Caroline of Monace has ever invited the media that way, non?

Surely not, but after a lifetime in the fishbowl, she knows that they are always there and does so anyway.

:previous::eek::nonono::nonono:

Sarah's bikini snaps are more about confidence for women of her age. She is trying to present an image of a person who has struggled with weight living a healthier lifestyle and loving herself just as she is. That is the point she is trying to make.
It seems to me that she is trying more to convince herself than others. Most 50 year olds don't need Sarah Ferguson galumping along a beach to show them confidence.

But some do, so if she makes them feel better about themselves, good for her.

Sarah's bikini snaps are more about confidence for women of her age. She is trying to present an image of a person who has struggled with weight living a healthier lifestyle and loving herself just as she is. That is the point she is trying to make. Caroline may look better in designer clothes but I have seen enough beach photos of her with hunched shoulders and sagging belly. It doesn't really matter though because Caroline carries herself with the same kind of confidence that Sarah is talking about.

Unfortunately it does matter to the princess, because she has been fighting for years in court against the publication of pictures she considers to belong to her private sphere. Caroline of Hannover is on the forefront of VIPS who try to use legal means to save their dignity in public - so IMHO for her it does matter a lot. Confidence or no confidence - IMHO Sarah is encouraging the media to photograph her whenever possible with such stunts, especially considering that she obviously has not even started the programme she promised to promote judging from the latest pics. I feel she is doinh her daughters an absolute non-service with this - not to speak of her former in-laws.

I personally know a lot of women over fifty who are simply beautiful, in bikini or normal day dress and I don't mind anybody trying to become the cover girl of Sports Illustrated either, plus I applaud honestly what Sarah does for children but on seeing how hard a lot of Royals have to fight for their last bit of privacy, doing what Sarah is doing here or did with involving her daughters in that politically questionable documentary is contra-productive. IMHO, of course.

posters are encouraged to let the past be the past but the problem is that sarah ferguson herself lives off the past, otherwise hardly anybody would be interested in her today. she is actually the one who comes up with the same old stories again and again that happened during her time as royal. technically she's a celebrity but she still manages to present herself as a royal in the public eye, either by mentioning her royal past or by posing with the living reminders from that past, her daughters, so why should posters stay away from commenting on it? if the last 3 pages of this thread are supposed to contain bashing or cattiness, well, i am speachless.

sarah has to make a living and she does that more or less by milking her royal past that thankfully becomes reality again whenever she appears with her daughters. this is the reason why i find her so annoying, that she can't let the past be the past but continues to use the royal family for her own financial or attention seeking purposes.

there is no need to run down a beach in a bikini at the age of 50 for sarah ferguson if the true motivation is to raise awareness for a good cause - there are plenty of other, more dignified options to do so. but sarah and dignity - that simply doesn't go together, never has and probably never will.

Unfortunately it does matter to the princess, because she has been fighting for years in court against the publication of pictures she considers to belong to her private sphere. Caroline of Hannover is on the forefront of VIPS who try to use legal means to save their dignity in public - so IMHO for her it does matter a lot. Confidence or no confidence - IMHO Sarah is encouraging the media to photograph her whenever possible with such stunts, especially considering that she obviously has not even started the programme she promised to promote judging from the latest pics. I feel she is doinh her daughters an absolute non-service with this - not to speak of her former in-laws.

I didn't say that Caroline is happy about the media surrounding her, just that she knows that they do. I feel bad for her in a lot of ways about it, but it doesn't change the fact that she is constantly photographed and is aware of it.

Of course Sarah is encouraging the media to photograph her in this instance. It is the whole point. To show that you can be 50, imperfect and still love yourself while wearing a garment that makes most woman feel ugly and inadequate, no matter who they are.

Sarah will never be as thin as some people want her to be or believe that she should be before she dares to show any bare skin. Unfortunately for them, she seems perfectly comfortable in her skin and presents a much healthier self image than the numerous tanorexics that are constantly plastered about in the papers, thin and glamorous, wearing the latest styles and cocaine moustaches. Also, her daughters seem perfectly fine with what their mother is doing. I've never heard them speak of her with anything but pride, which is rare for young ladies and mothers, especially royal ones.

To show that you can be 50, imperfect and still love yourself while wearing a garment that makes most woman feel ugly and inadequate, no matter who they are.
I would guess that you are not 50 or even thereabouts. Most women have no need to constantly portray themselves as a victim. If a woman feels ugly and inadequate in a bikini, they find something else to wear, not tell the world about it!
I've never heard them speak of her with anything but pride, which is rare for young ladies and mothers, especially royal ones.
No it is not rare, at least not with mothers and daughters that I know, including my own. However I would never dream of embarrassing my daughters with such behaviour!:whistling:

However I would never dream of embarrassing my daughters with such behaviour!:whistling:

But maybe Sarah's daughters are not embarrassed by her conduct; maybe they encourage her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom