The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the photos, Ice! Poor Sarah. I guess she will never learn that all she needs to do is wear make-up and do her hair when she is at events where she will be photographed. It makes such a difference and it doesn't take that much effort.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Are we looking at the same photos? I think Sarah looks nice, hair down and dressed age appropriate.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Courtier

I am afraid that I agree with the poster before, she looks dreadful. The photos in the black dress on the contrary are very nice it is amazing what a little care and make up can do.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I think we are, Zonk. I was referring to the difference, as Ice pointed out, between the First Set of photos and the next two sets. I realize that Sarah can't look glamorous at all events but a little make-up goes a long way. It's just my opinion, Zonk. I am sorry if I offend...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

You didn't offend!

I didn't get your reference to the changing circumstances (public service vs. glamour). Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Yes, Sarah does look nice IMO in the second and third set of pictures. It looks like for the first set that she didn't wear any makeup (or a ton of it at least) which is wise considering the location of her public service.

No worries

Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Zonk. Sometimes the written word just doesn't come through as one would like. I guess this is an example of that!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Iceflower, thank you very, very much for the pictures.
I think Sarah looks beautiful: the 'natural' pictures are even more appealing to me even though they show every freckle and wrinkle.

The pictures from Kathmandu were simply amazing: the image of Sarah with the children is very heart-warming, so is this picture. And this cutie is just plain adorable.
Incidentally, weren't this pictures taken at the same time when Sarah and Andrew were supposed to have taken a vacation in an exclusive villa?

Sarah looked very nice during both the Venice Film Festival and the Woman Of Substance Awards. She looked quite as beautiful as Catherine Deneuve in this picture, and that's a hard fit for anyone.

Just as a matter of curiosity: why did she take her left glove off? As far as I know the etiquette, you don't take your gloves off when greeting people: it is only recommended to remove the right glove (or left one for left-handed people) during the meal time.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Administrator

You are all most welcome as always
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Incidentally, weren't this pictures taken at the same time when Sarah and Andrew were supposed to have taken a vacation in an exclusive villa?
If I remember it right the article about their holidays appeared
one or even two weeks before her visit in Nepal, as Sarah has
been in Spain with her daughters at the end of August, it's
at least possible as to the dates

Sarah attended another event yesterday,

Sarah Ferguson at Gordon and Tana Ramsay's fundraising dinner
held at Claridges Hotel. London, England - 10.09.09

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **
Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Iceflower, for these nice photos.

Courtesy of Belga.

Here are more photos of The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, A Woman Of Substance Awards held at The Dorchester London, England (10/09/2009).

http://i29.tinypic.com/oggshs.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/2q013y9.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/dqnafs.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/2ag8z8.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/161n98l.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/v4rqtd.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2rpd6ki.jpg
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Majesty

Sarah looks great in that teal colour!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

yes but even lefthanded people great with their right hand I think. It is probably just Sarah doing whatever...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Just as a matter of curiosity:
Quote:
why did she take her left glove off? As far as I know the etiquette, you don't take your gloves off when greeting people:
it is only recommended to remove the right glove (or left one for left-handed people) during the meal time.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Aristocracy

The Duchess is looking very elegant! I love the 'green' dress and her heels are amazing...
Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
The Duchess is looking very elegant! I love the 'green' dress and her heels are amazing...
Heels? Perish the thought! What about those legs??
Old 09-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Sarah looks lovely in these pictures.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Heels? Perish the thought! What about those legs??
I've always thought the Duchess has glorious legs.

What's the protocol for Royals wearing gloves? I always think they look so very elegant. Her Majesty the Queen and Princess Anne always seem to favour gloves on engagements.
(Sorry if the questions off topic!)
Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I think HM wears them as she has to shake so many hands. Somebody got this one? I'm not sure. . .
I think Diana blew that off and Sarah followed suit. .
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
I've always thought the Duchess has glorious legs.

What's the protocol for Royals wearing gloves? I always think they look so very elegant. Her Majesty the Queen and Princess Anne always seem to favour gloves on engagements.
(Sorry if the questions off topic!)
Wearing gloves during official events was a must in past.
The etiquette has of course relaxed since then, however the Queen still wears gloves on all official engagements. As per the royal etiquette, long gloves should be worn at a gala ball, court presentation, “White Tie” dinners, dinners in Honour of a dignitary, formal indoor occasions, receptions, on arrival at a luncheon or dinner party and in similar cases.
Short gloves are worn upon discretion, however it is highly recommended to wear them in church (or places of worship), at semi-official events, practically at all outdoor events or events where you are expected to be introduced to a large number of people.

There are general rules for both long and short gloves:
* No jewellery should be worn over gloves, with the exception of bracelets.
* They cannot be carried but should be part of the attire.
* If one is wearing gloves, they should be kept on at all times, including when being presented to someone or while dancing (at a formal party).
* When the drinks and hors d’oeuvres are passed, it is recommended to either remove one glove (the right one) or turn gloves back at the wrist.
* At the dining table, the etiquette dictates to either remove only the right glove, or remove both gloves.
* Gloves should be removed when eating, drinking, smoking, applying makeup or playing cards.

As for non-Royals who are presented to Royals, nowadays, it is not necessary to wear gloves during such ceremonies (unless otherwise warned beforehand): however if you do wear gloves, you should not remove them during the presentation.
I must say that the gloves-related rules have really relaxed: I’ve seen many Royals (especially Scandinavian ones), who remove at least one glove upon arrival to great people more ‘informally’. I suppose Sarah just followed the suit but I don't understand why she removed the left glove.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Majesty

An interesting bit of ettiquette that I picked up from watching various Royal boards is that Royal ladies (except in Britain) remove the right glove in order to shake hands. It's considered more polite. However, according to North American ettiquette, a lady leaves her gloves on when greeting people. I wonder if it's an instance of the Old World custom surviving in the New World after it's been disguarded in the Old?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Courtesy of Belga.

Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson looks on at a welcoming ceremony in Kathmandu September, 2009.

http://i27.tinypic.com/r29o3q.jpg

Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Pics 15.9.2009

Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, speaks at the first Cinema
Against AIDS Toronto gala September 15, 2009.
The gala benefits The Foundation for AIDS research (amFAR)
and Dignitas International.
I like the two pics of the speech very much

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga/getty **