The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post

Anyway, I was just over on the DoY's thread and read in an article link where he is being criticized (again) that Sarah only received 300,000 pounds in their divorce settlement and now he's sold their home and gotten 15 million pounds, but isn't sharing. Is it just me, or is that just wrong? I'm very disappointed in Andrew's behavior and I feel quite badly for Sarah. No wonder whe wanted out of this family.
It might be just you. When I left my ex husband, I left him the house and came out with 13K, which is what I went in with, a little trust fund I was left. He went on to sell the house and make some serious dough, and then snorted a lot of the proceeds up his nose (which was where my other trust fund went!)--but the point is, why whine about it? What's done is done. 300,000 is a good chunk of change and she got to stay in the house as well with servants to help with the child care. She got tools to make money and her life work. She used them. I think the past is the past in this case, move on.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Majesty

At this point, perhaps Sarah has more personal money than Andrew has.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Anyway, I was just over on the DoY's thread and read in an article link where he is being criticized (again) that Sarah only received 300,000 pounds in their divorce settlement and now he's sold their home and gotten 15 million pounds, but isn't sharing. Is it just me, or is that just wrong? I'm very disappointed in Andrew's behavior and I feel quite badly for Sarah. No wonder whe wanted out of this family.
I can't see any reason the the Duke of York needs to share any profit out of the supposed 15 million pounds with his ex-wife. According to some articles the home was owned by the Queen until 2000 when she signed it over to Andrew, well after the divorce. I can't see that Sarah would have any claim on a gift to Andrew from his mother at that stage. That is, if the transfer of ownership is true anyway. I always thought it was owned by the Crown Estates.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

I don't necessarily think that Duke needs to share proceeds of the sale of the house (an article link hinted that he should)--I'm just surprised that Sarah only received 300.000 pounds in the divorce settlement. Then, the Queen signs the house over to Andrew and he clears 15 million pounds on it. It makes me see Sarah in a new, more respectful light than I did.

I don't think it is justme, and while I know that 300,000 pounds seems like a lot--but in the British Royal Family it really isn't all that much. Diana received a huge settlement--now, Sarah wasn't married to the heir, but she was in the family. It really just surprised me. However, I did read somewhere today (in the Duke of York thread) that Sarah earns more than him, so it all turned out well enough, I suppose. I will say that Sarah is much nicer than I am--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Nobility

I recall reading somewhere (don't ask where as I can't remember) that HM paid off Sarah's overdraft at the time of the divorce, which may account for her "small" settlement. Alas, after the divorce, she ran up another huge overdraft, housing, clothing, etc. It was then she and the girls moved back into Sunninghill with Andrew, and before she became the spokesperson for Weight Watchers. Please note this is from memory and may not be entirely accurate.

Cat
Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't necessarily think that Duke needs to share proceeds of the sale of the house (an article link hinted that he should)--I'm just surprised that Sarah only received 300.000 pounds in the divorce settlement. Then, the Queen signs the house over to Andrew and he clears 15 million pounds on it. It makes me see Sarah in a new, more respectful light than I did.

I don't think it is justme, and while I know that 300,000 pounds seems like a lot--but in the British Royal Family it really isn't all that much. Diana received a huge settlement--now, Sarah wasn't married to the heir, but she was in the family. It really just surprised me. However, I did read somewhere today (in the Duke of York thread) that Sarah earns more than him, so it all turned out well enough, I suppose. I will say that Sarah is much nicer than I am--
I think because Diana took a much more public role than Sarah did I think they all expected Sarah to just go away, that Diana received more. Also Prince Charles has his Duchy of Cornwall so he has a LOT more money than Andrew ever has had.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Nobility

That's why Charles had to borrow money from his mother to pay part of the divorce settlement.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
That's why Charles had to borrow money from his mother to pay part of the divorce settlement.
This is hypothetical, but I would imagine that Charles didn't want to sell any assets to pay Diana. Also, Mumsy gives better interest rates than the bank!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
I recall reading somewhere (don't ask where as I can't remember) that HM paid off Sarah's overdraft at the time of the divorce, which may account for her "small" settlement. Alas, after the divorce, she ran up another huge overdraft, housing, clothing, etc. It was then she and the girls moved back into Sunninghill with Andrew, and before she became the spokesperson for Weight Watchers. Please note this is from memory and may not be entirely accurate.

Cat
I don't know HOW I could have neglected to remember that HM paid off a lot of Sarah's overdrafts (wasn't Sarah still in debt after the divorce??)--
I'm getting fuzzy headed in my old age!
Then, I reverse my previous statement--Sarah probably got a good deal after all---

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I think because Diana took a much more public role than Sarah did I think they all expected Sarah to just go away, that Diana received more. Also Prince Charles has his Duchy of Cornwall so he has a LOT more money than Andrew ever has had.
I think the main reason that Sarah got less was that she was the wife of the second son. In a system of primogeniture the first son gets the majority of the assets (like you said i.e., Duchy of Cornwall) while the rest get peanuts. Andrew's income has always been minuscule compared to Charles'.

The debts I think were a small part of the equation. The Queen may have been irritated by them but she wasn't really inconvenienced by them either.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Gentry

From an April 1997 promo for a (then) upcoming interview w/Sarah:

'I'm not going back to Andrew - I'd like to start dating'.
'I don't know where the money went - It just went. I don't even like shopping'.
'I don't want to be commercial but I have to be'.
'I find every day very, very difficult'.
How she prefers the likes of Marks & Spencer and Levis to designer clothing.
How she has to continue working to clear her debts and settle a major tax bill.

A NY TIMES article about how the queen did not bail Sarah out of her debts:
CHRONICLE - New York Times
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith14011 View Post
From an April 1997 promo for a (then) upcoming interview w/Sarah:

'I'm not going back to Andrew - I'd like to start dating'.
'I don't know where the money went - It just went. I don't even like shopping'.
'I don't want to be commercial but I have to be'.
'I find every day very, very difficult'.
How she prefers the likes of Marks & Spencer and Levis to designer clothing.
How she has to continue working to clear her debts and settle a major tax bill.

A NY TIMES article about how the queen did not bail Sarah out of her debts:
CHRONICLE - New York Times
I've said it before: Sarah's a Libra, if this doesn't demonstrate the scales tipping back and forth, I don't know what does!!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sarah Ferguson turned back the clock as she revisited her eighties fashion past in London last night.

The Duchess of York, 48, flashed her legs in daring black opaque patterned tights with a rose motif

Back to the eighties: Fergie revisits her fashion past with racy patterned tights | the Daily Mail
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
I can't see any reason the the Duke of York needs to share any profit out of the supposed 15 million pounds with his ex-wife. According to some articles the home was owned by the Queen until 2000 when she signed it over to Andrew, well after the divorce. I can't see that Sarah would have any claim on a gift to Andrew from his mother at that stage. That is, if the transfer of ownership is true anyway. I always thought it was owned by the Crown Estates.
The party was held at a 10m home the Queen gave Prince Andrew and his former wife Sarah Ferguson as a wedding gift in 1986.
Princess In 'Boozy Birthday Rave' |Sky News|UK News
Sunninghill Park, near Ascot, was a wedding present from the Queen in 1986.
Airmiles Andy racks up 100,000 private jet bill for taxpayers (after selling his house for 15 million) | the Daily Mail
The 12-bedroom home, which is located just on the outskirts of Windsor Great Park, was given to the former couple as a wedding gift
Last Transaction Hero - Forbes.com
Sunninghill Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Sarah Ferguson turned back the clock as she revisited her eighties fashion past in London last night.

The Duchess of York, 48, flashed her legs in daring black opaque patterned tights with a rose motif

Back to the eighties: Fergie revisits her fashion past with racy patterned tights | the Daily Mail
From that article:
Those were the days: The Duchess was renowned for her elegant fashion taste in the 1980s"

Then just have a look at the pictures...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think its fair to say that despite the claims by the newspapers that the couple didn't have joint ownership of the house. If they had, Sarah would have gotten half the proceeds from the sale.

That's not that unusual. My parents left a house to my brother - not to my brother and his wife.

Also Sarah mentioned that when she moved back to Sunninghill after the divorce, it was hardly a cushy situation; she was in the maid's quarters. If I had had half ownership of a house, there would be no way that I would stay in the maid's quarters.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I think its fair to say that despite the claims by the newspapers that the couple didn't have joint ownership of the house. If they had, Sarah would have gotten half the proceeds from the sale.

That's not that unusual. My parents left a house to my brother - not to my brother and his wife.

Also Sarah mentioned that when she moved back to Sunninghill after the divorce, it was hardly a cushy situation; she was in the maid's quarters. If I had had half ownership of a house, there would be no way that I would stay in the maid's quarters.
No it is not unusual for the house to be given on the occasion of a marriage, but with an understanding that as it was a gift from his parents, in the event of adultery she would not have a claim on it. The marriage and divorce were before equal rights for women and it would probably have just been his name on the deeds.

It is also possible that when discussing the divorce settlement, she signed the property over as she would not be able to afford the upkeep, especially as she was already in serious debt.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
No it is not unusual for the house to be given on the occasion of a marriage, but with an understanding that as it was a gift from his parents, in the event of adultery she would not have a claim on it. The marriage and divorce were before equal rights for women and it would probably have just been his name on the deeds.

It is also possible that when discussing the divorce settlement, she signed the property over as she would not be able to afford the upkeep, especially as she was already in serious debt.
I see that the Wikipedia link states that the house was built on land purchased for the Queen from the Crown Estate. That must be the connection I had in mind before about the Crown Estate owning it.

According to this article in regard to the property "The Queen retained ownership until 2000, four years after the Yorks divorced, when she signed it over to Andrew."
Link to Article
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
I see that the Wikipedia link states that the house was built on land purchased for the Queen from the Crown Estate. That must be the connection I had in mind before about the Crown Estate owning it.

According to this article in regard to the property "The Queen retained ownership until 2000, four years after the Yorks divorced, when she signed it over to Andrew."
Link to Article
Aha! That's what I was thinking when I wrote what I wrote!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

MY EYES!! MY EYES!!!

Closed Thread