Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! :)

Sarah Ferguson's transcript from her interview with Larry King on CNN Live has been made availabe by CNN.com.

CNN LARRY KING LIVE

Interview With Sarah Ferguson

Aired January 7, 2003 - 21:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED

LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight, she's here. Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York. From royal scandals and divorce to her battles with over eating and over spending. She'll open up about it all, take your calls too. Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York for the hour, next on LARRY KING LIVE.
I love being around royalty. Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, is our special guest tonight. She's a spokeswoman for Weight Watchers International. The divorced mother of two daughters. One of whom is in our studio. She's lovely.

She's also the author of a new book, brilliantly put together, I think, called "What I Know Now: Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way." She's on the front cover of the February issue of "Ladies Home Journal."

And, of course, this is the golden jubilee year -- last year was the golden jubilee year in Great Britain. Lots of scandals, lot of things.

But, what -- this is what, a self-help book? Are you telling people, here's what happened to me. Here's what can happen to you?

SARAH FERGUSON, DUCHESS OF YORK: You know, the thing is it's not a self-help book. What it is it's a book about sort stories, anecdotes. If people take it as a self-help book, then that's great. But it's just sort of my experiences and my awful mistakes and what I learnt from them. And if it helps them, that's really good news.

KING: The secret is learning from what you did wrong, right?

FERGUSON: Taking what you've done wrong and realizing that it's a been bonus, actually, and it's positive. It's quite a difficult thing to do.

You know the amount of mistakes I've made, Larry. And you just have to look at it and go, well, thank goodness I did it. Because if I hadn't I probably wouldn't be sitting here with a bit more understanding.

KING: Someone said that one of the definitions of insanity is repeating the same failure expecting a different result. You're going to get the same result if you repeat the same project, right?

FERGUSON: Not necessarily. I don't think I really want to be bankrupt again, you know? And...

KING: That's right. So you wouldn't be bankrupt again. But to be bankrupt again would be a little whacko.

FERGUSON: Would be a little whacko, yes. So at least if you're now aware of why you got into that situation and what it was about, then you hopefully won't do it again.

KING: We're going to take a lot of calls tonight. I'll get into other facets of the book. Let's touch some bases.

How are you doing weight wise? You look terrific.

FERGUSON: Thank you very much. I've been with Weight Watchers for six years now. Helped me.

KING: Saw the new commercials. They're terrific.

FERGUSON: Thank you. It really works for me. The thing why it really works is the support. Weight Watchers for me is like I can go there, I can talk about why food was so important to me. My life was little and my weights and food was everything. Now my life is here and food is there, thanks to Weight Watchers.

KING: Is it hard? Do you want to eat something you shouldn't every day?

FERGUSON: No, it's gotten much easier because I understand that I was emotional eating. If I -- the night my mom died, I put on ten pounds. You know, I know understand. You don't need to choose food instead of the emotions.

KING: We understand your dad is ill?

FERGUSON: Larry, he's very, very ill. And I know he loves being on your show and he loves you. He's not well at all. He's in (UNINTELLIGIBLE) hospital. He's got prostate cancer, melanoma, liver cancer, lung cancer. He's very well -- very unwell.

KING: Is he terminal?

FERGUSON: I don't know if he'd like me to say that, but he's not well. But he's a fighter. And you know, he's had -- if he was here now, he'd say, Larry, I've already died twice and they got me alive again. Here I am...

KING: I've beaten it, I'll beat it again.

FERGUSON: There you go.

KING: What do you make of the butler, Paul Burrell? He was just on this show and the whole thing of that queen getting him off. What was your read on that story?

FERGUSON: Well, Larry, I honestly think the best way I can support Her Majesty is by silence now. I think the queen's had one very difficult year, you know? It's been an extraordinary jubilee really. With two deaths and then Her Majesty's done such a wonderful job with the jubilee and the country came out to support Her Majesty. And you know, Her Majesty didn't really need the last two episodes.

KING: You think she was smart to step in and put that trial to an end?

FERGUSON: I think that the best thing I can do is not make a comment about it now.

KING: You have no comment?

FERGUSON: Absolutely no comment on that. Because it's really not my business.

KING: OK, let's discuss something you might have an opinion on. Our guest tomorrow night, James Hewitt. What do you think about the letters?

FERGUSON: Yes, I think it's very interesting that just before I came on this show, he called up and said would I like to have a drink with him. I think that's funny. The answer is no, James, I don't want to have a drink with you. If I did, it would probably end up in the newspaper the next day.

KING: What do you think of that whole thing, the letters?

FERGUSON: I think he should just be quiet and go away. Betrayal, I think is the most horrible, horrible, disloyal thing you can do to anyone.

KING: Did you know of him, Sarah, during the time you were close to Di, did you know about the relationship and everything?

FERGUSON: I knew that he was in the Lifeguards, I think. Was he in the Lifeguards? I don't know. I knew he wrote well and played polo. I did not know about the relationship.

KING: Speaking of relationship, how are you doing? Are you seeing anyone?

FERGUSON: Bit sort of bland. Like being in the desert at the moment. The last year, nobody's been around because I think they're a bit frightened of all the newspaper coverage and the press.

KING: So you mean no one asks you out on dates?

FERGUSON: Could this be a blind date? Could you like arrange for all the dates now from this show?

KING: Are you looking for a man tonight?

FERGUSON: Yes, that's good, Larry. Put it out there.

KING: You haven't been on a date in how long?

FERGUSON: I don't know. Years.

KING: Come on.

FERGUSON: It's true. It's really true. Been working hard. Hands toiled, blistered.

KING: Do you still date your ex-husband?

FERGUSON: No, no, we don't.

KING: Your friends, though?

FERGUSON: Very, very good friends. Certainly (UNINTELLIGIBLE) a real testament to the friendship we have.

KING: Don't you miss romantic -- you're a romantic person. Don't you miss that?

FERGUSON: Yes, but I thought I better get my life in order first. Maybe if I start loving myself a bit better, then maybe I'll attract in the right person that's going to be steadfast through all that he's going to have to take on.

KING: I bet it's difficult for someone to -- a commoner to ask you out. They know it's going to be in the press, they know they're probably going to be followed, there's going to be stories? Who needs it?

FERGUSON: I know. Exactly. Why would anyone want to do that? But destiny has to play its hand. Cupid's arrow has to be somewhere, Larry. And that's what I hope, you know. One day.

KING: Has to be someone strong within himself.

FERGUSON: Yes, full of his own strength of his own self, yes.

KING: I would imagine -- I don't want to guess. But you would like to marry again?

FERGUSON: I think I would, yes. I'd certainly like to have a partner. I don't know about marriage but certainly a partner. I'd love to be able to travel and at the end of the long days have someone to go to dinner with.

KING: What was the impact of Diana on your life?

FERGUSON: Throughout it or after her death?

KING: Both.

FERGUSON: The thing about Diana is that she was -- she was one of the funniest, wittiest people I've ever met in my life. She always found the humorous side of everything. She was amazing like that. She was a great mother. She was a fantastic friend.

But you knew what you were dealing with, she was like a thoroughbred, you know? You took all sides of Diana and you just loved her in every way.

KING: Meaning she was loyal?

FERGUSON: Yes, I think she was very loyal. I just miss the humor, you know? And I miss the...

KING: She was really that funny?

FERGUSON: Yes, she was really that funny. She was one of the quickest wits I've ever known. She was just a tonic, a real tonic.

KING: Really?

FERGUSON: With someone as creative as that, you do know that you have to be always wary, you know? Because she always -- she always knew where she was going and what she was going to do. So you just -- you always knew that she was just on her own, really. She was on a level on her own.

KING: Where were you that terrible night?

FERGUSON: I was sitting in Italy. And somebody rang me from -- David Tang rang me from Hong Kong and said, you know, Diana's had a crash and she's in hospital. And she's dead.

And I said, I said, no, I didn't believe it. So I rang her mobile and said, Dutch, I'm here. It can't be true.

KING: You got her voice mail?

FERGUSON: Yes.

KING: What's her legacy? What's the impact after?

FERGUSON: I think at the time of her death, the country mourned and it gave the country such an excuse to really cry, you know? Everybody really came out and mourned her.

And I think no one will ever forget the work that she did for HIV/AIDS. And the stigma. She always said that she did HIV/AIDS because she knew what it was like to walk in a room and feel different. And I always think about that when I talk about HIV/AIDS now. When we're trying to get teenagers to have an education on it. I always remember that comment she made.

KING: So you missed her very much.

FERGUSON: Absolutely.

KING: Do you get to see her sons?

FERGUSON: The girls do. Which is great.

KING: Your daughters see Harry and...

FERGUSON: William and Harry, yes. And it's great. They're really good, because William and Harry can give my girls very good advice on, you know, what's going to happen, boys and that.

KING: Have they gotten their mother's sense of mother.

FERGUSON: My girls?

KING: The boys.

FERGUSON: Oh, William and Harry? Yes, I think they have. Absolutely. Certainly William has got her wonderful presence.

KING: Her new book is "What I Know Now: Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way." She's seen it all. Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York. She'll be taking your calls in a little while. The book is available everywhere. You're watching LARRY KING LIVE. And we'll both be right back.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We show a picture of her wedding and she goes oh, blimey. That was a happy day.

FERGUSON: I know. But I thought, that was then, this is now.

KING: That was then, this is now. We all -- all we are is a collection of what we've been through, right?

FERGUSON: Indeed that is so.

KING: We don't know the next minute.

FERGUSON: What a philosophical statement.

KING: OK. From your book, a story about meeting the tabloid editor who composed the headline "The Duchess of Pork." How did you handle that?

FERGUSON: I was invited to the newspaper for lunch. They have these sort of lunches with bankers and other people. So off I went off thinking why not? It was a couple of years ago.

Then he said, the editor said, let's go talk to the boys and girls that work and make it run. So as I was coming around, I saw this rather rotund, hardy chap with a bald head...

KING: This one of the British tabloids?

FERGUSON: Yes. I'm sorry. And I saw him sitting in the corner sort of laughing and he was waving away.

So I went over to him. I said, well you look happy. What are you laughing at? And he said, Well you know what, Fergie? I've known you for 15 years. Like history, like meeting a member of the family.

I went, oh, this is good. So tell me, I know you know me. You write so many stories about me. He goes, I'm the headline king. I was the one who wrote that one that one, you know, the one which rhymes with York. What is it? Oh, yeas. That's it, pork.

And I went, oh, my gosh. It was rather like Dorothy finding the -- opening the curtains of Oz.

KING: What did you say to him?

FERGUSON: Suddenly there was the man who was the cause of demise really for so many years.

KING: What did you say to him?

FERGUSON: I just turned around and said, you know what? When you did it, what were you thinking? I was just thinking what was funny that rhymed.

And I went, Gosh, here I was thinking that it was all personal and he looked at my body and that he said I was fat. He didn't. He was just a nice hearty man who was making up lies.

KING: But effective lies.

FERGUSON: I know but I said thank you. I said, Because of you I went to Weight Watchers. And because of Weight Watchers I'm now here today. Thank you for teaching me something so huge. It was great.

KING: Life's lessons learned right? Also rejecting rejection. The story of a leading fashion magazine pushing you into doing a cover, then the magazine editor nixed it and put Fergie on the cover because she looked a bit -- didn't put you on because you looked weighty.

FERGUSON: Amazing. Very quickly, it is in the book. This leading glossy magazine asked me to go on the front cover. I said, Look, at the moment, I'm eight pounds heavier because of Mom's death. Could we wait a bit? No, no, you'll be fine. I'll get the best photographer, the best stylist, the best, everything.

So they brought in all the top guns, tried to fit me into a Vera Wang size 10 dress when clearly I was a 14. It was like pushing everything. It was like the elephant man with his sack over his head.

So I said to them, you know, honestly maybe we'll do it another day. No, fine. We're putting you on the front cover. Anyway, when the photographs came back, yes, they rang me up and said, you know what, Fergie, darling? We've decided to put Madonna on the front.

And I went, well, I was going to say I told you so. She said, we thought you looked weighty. And I just went -- it was like...

KING: What lesson did you learn from that?

FERGUSON: What I learned from that is say no when it wasn't right. You knew it wasn't right, Sarah. Don't go ahead just to please other people. Say no. And don't by always trying to fit into every role. Don't be in fashion.

KING: No is the hardest thing to say.

FERGUSON: Isn't it? And learn to say, just because you felt that you wanted to be on the front cover, is that not your ego? Shouldn't you just check yourself?

KING: You write that you don't often admit it, but you're starting to feel your age. Do you admit to it -- do you announce your age? Do you tell people?

FERGUSON: Forty-three and proud of it, Larry.

KING: That's young. Forty-three is young. I've got ties older than you. My wife is 43. Everybody is 43 at my age.

FERGUSON: I just think it's very interesting when your body gets older and your heart gets younger. I'm more of a child now than I've ever been. So I'm probably a teenager, you know? And I just think sometimes I ask my body to keep up with a teenager, it is kind of difficult sometimes.

KING: You don't feel your age, do you? What are you really inside?

FERGUSON: Inside, really?

KING: Yes.

FERGUSON: Fifteen.

KING: That's what I was going to guess, maybe 16. What's with the TV show? You got your start here. You hosted this show once. Tiger Woods.

FERGUSON: As only I could say this because you might say it about yourself. But, Larry, you really have sort of been the mental, you set me on the road to television life. You advised me all from the beginning. I talked to you about radio and what you did at the beginning. So thanks to you.

I hope to have a TV show. I hope it's coming out. We've done the pilot. We're selling to affiliations -- isn't that the word, affiliates. Let's see what happens.

KING: What's the concept?

FERGUSON: It is taking -- empowering people to make changes in their lives. It's really taking a look and inspirational and saying to people, you can do it, too. It is funny. It's young, it's light and inspirational. It is variety with heart.

KING: It's daytime, right?

FERGUSON: It's daytime.

KING: You once told me that you liked -- you were more accepted here than back home. FERGUSON: Yes.

KING: And you were treated better here than back home?

FERGUSON: I think a lot of people see me talking so much as airing my laundry in public. Certainly in Britain a lot of the establishment people feel that is it really truly necessary for you to keep talking about subjects which are close to your heart. People aren't interested to know.

Where as in the United States of America, people tend to talk more openly about their emotions. I think that's important. Especially after September 11, more family and community and talking.

KING: By the way, we've discussed it before, but your offices were in the Twin Towers, were they not?

FERGUSON: They were indeed.

KING: For your charity. You had just finished what, "Good Morning America."

FERGUSON: Yes. We were just leaving the studios and I saw the airplane go straight into the 101st floor, Cantor Fitzgerald. And we just stood stock still. We didn't really know what to do. We couldn't believe it was possible. I looked up and thought the air traffic control couldn't have made that mistake, you know?

KING: And they found you a little raggedy....

FERGUSON: Little Red. CNN in fact was the organization that filmed it.

KING: There it is.

FERGUSON: I was watching and saw CNN film Little Red. I went, That's Little Red. I can't believe she survived.

And the fact that -- what I think's so amazing is that that doll pays for P.J. who was rescued from the Oklahoma bombing eight years ago. He was rescued by a fireman and carried out. There was that little doll that paid for P.J. eight years later.

KING: We're going to take a break. When we come back, we'll start to include your phone calls. We know many, many people want to talk to Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York. The book is "What I Know Now: Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way." She's also on the front cover -- looking slim by the way, they didn't have to force her into a Vera Wang dress -- of "Ladies' Home Journal." We'll be right back with your calls. Don't go away.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I'd like to take this opportunity to present to Sarah one of the dolls that were found at the World Trade Center in the rubble. This was given to me by one of the rescue workers. And we wanted to give it back to the rightful owner (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We're back with Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York. The author of "What I Know Now."

Let's go to your calls. Los Angeles, hello.

CALLER: Hi, Sarah and Larry. How is Eugenie doing after her back surgery, Sarah? And by the way, you look very, very good.

FERGUSON: Firstly, thank you very much for that lovely compliment. Weight Watchers has taught me I have to accept compliments now. Secondly, Eugenie is here with me in the studio and she's doing well.

KING: She's 12 and had back surgery?

FERGUSON: She's grown almost an inch and a half. You know, she is so tall, I forget she's 12.

KING: What was the matter with her back?

FERGUSON: Three curvatures of the spine.

KING: That's young.

FERGUSON: She had to -- when she opened her up, one operation is seven hours, because they found more curvatures. And they had to put these metal rods down her back. She's a brave, very brave little girl. A real example to many other children going through it. She turned to me and said, mommy thank you so much. Will you thank all the doctors. You're only just out of the operation, but she still managed...

KING: She's also adorable.

FERGUSON: Thank you.

KING: Phoenix, Arizona for Sarah Ferguson. Hello.

CALLER: Hello, this is Susan.

KING: Hi.

CALLER: I would like to tell both of you to have a wonderful new year.

KING: Thank you.

CALLER: And I also wanted to let Fergie know something that would make her laugh. I went on Weight Watchers with my husband who is a true cook. We've emptied all of the cupboards and put them in the kitchen and put all the points on every single item so we can understand exactly what we're eating. And it wasn't that we're just buying all new food, we're trying to adapt to what needs to be done to eat properly. Of course, we do, of course, try to buy healthy things.

KING: Do you have a question?

CALLER: Yes. I wanted to know how she adapted to this point system? is it a memory thing or is it...

KING: Do you keep your points with you? That's 11 points I shouldn't eat.

FERGUSON: Well, after seven years or six years, I think I know the points quite well. And the most important point is the fact that I have my egg mayonnaise sandwich and know that I'm allowed to eat it. As you know, with weight watchers you can eat everything you like, you just count your points.

KING: Did you know all the points. You know, I tell you tomato.

FERGUSON: Tomato, no points.

KING: No points. A free gift.

FERGUSON: Krispy Kreme doughnut, five points. At least you can eat them.

KING: How many a day?

FERGUSON: In my case I have 24 points a day.

KING: So you have a Krispy Kreme doughnut you get 19 points there. And a tomatoes not points. So you could technically eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut and 422 tomatoes

FERGUSON: You're a mathematician, Larry.

KING: I know. Pleasington, California. Hello.

CALLER: Hi. Fergie. I had the pleasure of meeting you a couple of years ago in my hometown. You came and I had two vaces that you autographed, and you looked wonderful. My question is if you have a serious relationship or get married again, will you have more children?

FERGUSON: That's a good one, isn't it? Putting me right on the spot. The thing is that I'll ask the girls first. If the girls say I can have another one, then I can slip it in before I get too old, then probably I will. But I've got to find the partner first. Fall poor love.

KING: You feel sorry for him already?

FERGUSON: I nearly -- when I went to Sierra Leone, I did think of adopting.

KING: What was that like? FERGUSON: The most grueling thing I've been through for a long time. Being the 157th poorest country in the world, these children, most of them amputees, you know. They've had their arms cut off and limbs cut off by their neighbors next door who are age 14, 15-year- old.

KING: Ontario, Canada.

CALLER: Hello. I'd like to ask you about your daughters. What careers are they interested in and what type of education they would like to pursue?

FERGUSON: Well, the great thing is that my daughters I believe are free spirits. And whatever they decide to do, I'll support them. I really believe in them. I believe that Andrew and I have brought them up to be strong and secure in themselves. So whatever they choose to do, I'll support them. Of course, all I can do is be there with lots of love. But I don't own them, you know, all I can do is guide them. That's the best really advice you can give.

KING: Well said. Virginia Beach, Virginia.

CALLER: Hi, Sarah. I was wondering if you've ever had time to go to Althorp and visit Diana's resting place?

FERGUSON: No, I've never been.

KING: Why not?

FERGUSON: Well, because I just believe that I speak to her a lot all the time, really.

KING: You what?

FERGUSON: I don't really believe that I have to go to her resting place.

KING: You believe you speak to her?

FERGUSON: Not speak to her. She doesn't speak to me. If I want to say a prayer and think of her I can. But I don't have to go to her resting place to remember her.

KING: I would think someone as close as you two were, would want to go to where she rests.

FERGUSON: It's too public. Even if I went private, it would be too public. I have my wonderful memories in my heart and I'm happen we that.

KING: You're very, very aware that the press is around you, right?

FERGUSON: I am -- I never forget that the minute I walk out of that door, I must be aware of the ramifications of my actions. KING: We're going to take a break. When we come back, more calls for Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York. She's the author of "What I Know Now, Simple Lessons Learned The Hard Way." Tomorrow night Diana's ex-lover James Hewitt who she will not meet for a drink tonight. We'll be right back with Sarah and more of your calls after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK) KING: We're back on LARRY KING LIVE with Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, spokeswoman for Weight Watchers International, divorced mother of two daughters and the new book is "What I Know Now: Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way" She's also on the front cover of the February issue of "Ladies Home Journal."

Before we take our next call -- we'll be taking more calls in this half hour as well -- do you think Charles and Camilla will marry?

FERGUSON: I haven't thought about it.

KING: Think about it.

FERGUSON: Think about it right now?

KING: Right now.

FERGUSON: Do I think so? I think that they deserve happiness and I think that he deserves full support. And if that makes him happy, then that's great for him.

KING: You like him?

FERGUSON: I -- very, very much. I've always really admired him. I think he's a fine man. A really fine man. And I think he stands for so many -- with such integrity for what he believes. I really admire him. Always have.

KING: Underappreciated, right?

KING: Even though he hurt your friend, did he not?

FERGUSON: Well, that's their business, whatever they got up, it's not my business. But what I love about him so much is that he's so fine. He really is a gentleman.

KING: Good father, too?

FERGUSON: He's a good father. I just wish he could voice -- I wish he could sit here and talk to you.

KING: I wish he would.

FERGUSON: I wish he would.

KING: Wichita, Kansas, hello. CALLER: Hi, ma'am. How do you feel about the media and all the negative press about the royal family when there's so much good that the royals do which they could be focusing on instead?

KING: Why are the royals generally the subject of derision?

FERGUSON: I think they sell newspapers, you know? And I think it is a very commercial world. I think -- I think, you know, with so many different kinds of communications out there, I think it really is down to that. And I think people in Britain like to read the negative because they get -- some people get very jealous of people that are successful.

KING: They also like the royals, don't they?

FEGRUSON: They love the royals, but then why do they pull them down to such a degree?

KING: Will they ever give it up?

FERGUSON: No. It's too good a war, you know? It sells too many newspapers and makes people a lot of money.

KING: What was it like to be a royal? What was it like to be -- come on, Duchess, come on. King is just a name. You were a duchess. You had it all.

FERGUSON: Did I?

KING: No, what was it like?

FERGUSON: Did I know that I had it all?

KING: Was it boring a lot?

FERGUSON: Let's just say that I had every girl's dream, I had every girl's fairy tale. And did I blow the dream for them? I hope not. But did I try to? Yes. And I'm very sorry about that.

KING: Was the dream equal to the dream? Was the reality equal to the dream?

FERGUSON: I think that I wasn't wise enough to be able to understand what I was in and if I hadn't done...

KING: You'd be a better duchess now?

FERGUSON: I think so, yes. Because I'd be a lot -- yes, I would, definitely. Because I've made so many mistakes that I should be a little wiser.

But I think you have to understand what you're doing. And when you become a princess, you have to know the rules of being a princess. And I don't think I saw them as rules.

KING: You were yourself. FERGUSON: Yes. And you can't do that. You have to keep to the -- you have to be out there in public.

KING: But you were unhappy doing that?

FERGUSON: You have to be responsible for your actions. Perhaps I -- I just carried on. I was in love with my man and off I went, you know? And perhaps I should have thought.

KING: Chicago, hello.

CALLER: Oh, hello. This is such an honor to speak with you. I have a question about your celebrity.

KING: Go ahead.

CALLER: We hear so many stories about what Jackie Kennedy Onassis had to go through to insulate her children. Do you have to -- is that a problem for you?

FERGUSON: The great thing is that as you'll see with Beatrice and Eugene when they grow up, that they have their own minds and certainly their own opinions, which they tell me on a regular basis. And so therefore they are going to jump against boundaries and make their own mistakes and make their own boundaries.

I don't think we have a right to protect our children. I think we have a right to guide them but we don't have a right to put them in cotton wool balls. So, no I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Obviously they are very aware that they have to be careful. And when they're out in public, somebody's going to be watching them. So it is difficult for them.

KING: Does it bug you every day?

FERGUSON: Well, you know, the funny thing is when they do make mistakes, I turn to them and say, you know, guys, there's one person you can't argue with because I've made more mistakes than you have. And it's quite funny. So when every time I say about the press they go, Oh, yeah, mom, you know don't you? So, it's kind of good.

KING: Do you have a -- like, do you tell them a biggest mistake? If you had one day back to do something you do -- did that you would not do, what would it be?

FERGUSON: I would say that it was the day that I knew something was wrong and I chose to ignore it.

KING: In other words, what I'm doing today or tonight or whatever, this is wrong.

FERGUSON: Yes, this is wrong. And this very moment, at this very moment, I knew and I didn't listen. And had I listened, maybe things would have been different.

KING: Boy, that's great advice.

Oklahoma City, hello.

CALLER: Yes, hello. It's an honor to speak with you, Sarah. How are you?

KING: Thank you.

CALLER: The question I have is, What's the biggest myth or misconception that the public has about the royal family?

KING: Good question.

FERGUSON: I think a lot of the newspapers have portrayed the family, that they're meant to be one way and they're not doing it right. And so they're permanently under scrutiny that they haven't done it right.

Actually what they're doing is they're doing an extremely hard working job. They're getting out there...

KING: What's their job?

FERGUSON: They're representing the country. They're looking out...

KING: They're a PR agency.

FERGUSON: No. Her Majesty, the queen has done the most extraordinary job and has done for so many years.

KING: Which is?

FERGUSON: Is out there with her people and upholding the values of integrity and upholding the values of hard work and giving up her whole life for here country and for really believing the tradition of history.

KING: It's not easy being queen.

FERGUSON: And I think her Majesty's an amazing lady and needs all the support she can get.

KING: So the biggest misconception is what?

FERGUSON: The biggest misconception, from my point of view, although I'd hate to be a spokesperson, is that they are regular human beings that get up out of bed and clean their teeth like we all do.

KING: We think they don't.

FERGUSON: And let them just -- let them do the job without always trying to put trip wires up. So that misconception would be that people have forgotten they are human beings after all.

KING: And do they -- let's say dinner at the palace, dinner, right? You're sitting there, maybe 14 of you. All royals. What do you talk about? I mean, do you talk about everyday things?

FERGUSON: Probably more everyday things than anyone else.

KING: Today would somebody be talking about Iraq? At that table? Would someone be talking about inflation or depression?

FERGUSON: I would be joining the ranks of people that spill the beans if I discuss what's discussed at that table.

KING: No, but do they talk about everyday things?

FERGUSON: If they're regular human beings, they're going to talk about regular human being things. And I would say the news is a regular thing to discuss.

KING: That's what I mean. They don't just sit there and say, The country estate opens March 11, doesn't it? That's what I mean.

FERGUSON: No, no.

KING: Drive me up a wall.

FERGUSON: I think -- cheese and biscuits (UNINTELLIGIBLE)

KING: We'll take a break and be back with more of Sarah Ferguson and more of your phone calls on this edition of LARRY KING LIVE. Don't go away.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP, "FRIENDS")

MATT LEBLANC, ACTOR: Check this out.

COURTNEY COX-ARQUETTE, ACTRESS: Hi.

LEBLANC: Shush.

OK, so say hi to my friend and tell him you like my hat.

FERGUSON: OK. So what's his name?[ laughter ] chandler.

LEBLANC: Chandler.

FERGUSON: Hi, Chandler.

MATTHEW PERRY, ACTOR: That's -- was --

COX-ARQUETTE: Oh my God.

LEBLANC: It's Fergie, baby!

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: That was Fergie on "Friends." What was that like? Fun?

FERGUSON: I loved it. I mean, I wish I could do it again, you know? It was such fun.

KING: We'll go right back to the calls, but first, you mentioned Sierra Leone, right?

FERGUSON: Yes. It's very important to me.

KING: Let's watch this clip.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FERGUSON: Before I left the U.K. I was talking to my girls about what I was going to do in Sierra Leone this week, and both girls said, Mommy, we are going to share you with children that perhaps have lost their own mommies. And when they said that to me, it was very moving. Because how unselfish they were to be able to share their mommy. And that's really nice of them. And I hope that we can help these young women now, that they can one day tell that to their children.

Hello. How are you?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: What was that like for you?

FERGUSON: It was very frightening because the civil war really had only stopped for six months before. So everywhere you went, you knew that at any time a rebel could come out with a machete and aim it at you. It was very grueling to know that these children had nothing. They needed support and education.

And the women you just saw in that clip, most of them had been brutally raped for many, many years. And all those children were illegitimate children. Most of the mothers between 13 and 15, you know? There's lots to be done.

KING: Are they getting enough help?

FERGUSON: I think the world needs to wake up that there are these places, that they do exist. And that HIV/AIDS is the next huge, great killer from that...

KING: You were saying something during the break about how we promised to do certain things that weren't done?

FERGUSON: I think in Afghanistan, it's very important. I don't know my facts well enough, Larry, from a political standpoint, but I think it's very important that all over the world they made promises after September 11 to support the people of Afghanistan and the women and the children. Now keep to the promises, especially all the aid organizations.

KING: Let's go back to the calls. Scarborough, Ontario, hello.

CALLER: Hi, Larry.

KING: Hi. CALLER: Hello, Fergie. I just have a question for the Duchess of York this evening, Mr. King.

KING: Go right ahead.

CALLER: What I'm wondering is could the Duchess please inform me what was her best diet approach on the Weight Watchers system, whether it's the point system or -- how did she go about taking the weight off?

KING: How did you first approach it? What did it for you?

FERGUSON: What did it for me was when I realized that every time I looked in the mirror, I wasn't happy about myself. And Weight Watchers said, Well, you know what you got to do, you have to take one step at a time. And if you meet the 10 percent difference, you've done well. Don't always put high goals. Go to the end of the week. If you've done well, give yourself a pat on the back, go to the next week. So take it step by step. Basically ministeps, you know?

And here I am six years later. I'm maintaining a good weight. But you know, always take slow steps and you'll get there.

KING: Is every day a battle?

FERGUSON: It's not a battle, I'm just aware. And I think I'm aware -- and that's the answer.

KING: Salina, Kansas, hello.

CALLER: Hello.

CALLER: Yes, ma'am.

First of all, I admire you very, very much and it's an honor to be speaking with you. My question is this, How is the rest of the royal family reacting to your talk show?

KING: Do they like the idea? Have they spoken to you? Have you heard any...

FERGUSON: I think they thought I was doing a celebrity talk show and that I was going to ask them to be on it. But when I explained to them that it was really just going to be about inspiring people to make a difference in their lives. And a lot of Weight Watchers members hopefully will be on it, too. I think they realized that it's OK and I wasn't going to betray them or let them down.

KING: Are you always a duchess? Once a duchess always a duchess or when divorced do you lose that?

FERGUSON: No. I'm still a duchess now. But, you know, I'm just Sarah, really. Kenneth Nithroes (ph), a great historian, once said to be truly royal is to be royal in your heart. It's not a title. It's by heart. And so...

KING: But you get some of them -- do you get, like, protection?

FERGUSON: No.

KING: To Houston, Texas, hello?

Houston, are you there? Go ahead.

CALLER: Yes, hello?

KING: Yes, go ahead.

CALLER: Hello, Sarah?

FERGUSON: Hello.

CALLER: I am so glad that you came to America. I just want you to know that. I admire you very much. I used to see you on the Debra Duncan Show when you would come in with your china and your -- about Weight Watchers. And I was just wanting to know would you ever consider becoming American citizen?

FERGUSON: Well, thank you for all your lovely compliments. And the American people have certainly given my children their mother back. So I'm always so grateful to the American people, as you know, for what you've done for me.

I will remain a British citizen. And also I think because my girls will always be British citizens.

KING: But you always like coming here?

FERGUSON: I love it. I love it. This is my second home. But I don't think I'd become a U.S. citizen.

KING: Montgomery, Alabama, hello.

CALLER: Hi, Sarah. You have a beautiful eyes. I have the "Budgies" children's books and I'd like to know if you're going to write any more of the "Budgies" or any other children's books?

FERGUSON: Well, I've just been in Alabama. We love Alabama.

The great thing is that "Little Red" is now coming up in children's books this year, actually. I've got two more coming out. And it's going to be the adventures of "Little Red," which is the doll that you saw earlier on on this show. And "Little Blue" and her dog, Gino. And it's going to be adventures through the woods and what they get up to. So it's kind of exciting.

KING: Are you like an industry now? Books. Children's books.

FERGUSON: TV shows.

KING: Talk shows. Weight Watchers. When do you have time for men?

FERGUSON: Always time, always time.

KING: New York City, hello.

CALLER: Hi. How are you tonight?

KING: Fine.

CALLER: Great. Sarah, just like to tell you that, first of all, you look beautiful and you have a beautiful spirit as well. I've lost 41 pounds on Weight Watchers. I have about 60 more to go. I'd like to know do you feel like a thin person yet? Or do you still feel like a fat person? And do you still have daily struggles? What can you tell some of us who are going long term on this?

KING: Excellent question. Is there a fat person still in there?

FERGUSON: There is a fat person still in here. And I have to work daily with Weight Watchers to make sure that I understand why I keep thinking I am a fat person. Really, it's down to self-esteem. You have done so well. I mean...

KING: Forty pounds.

FERGUSON: Forty pounds is great. And it's not far. Sixty pounds is not far to go. You can do it. So, you have to just accept how well you've done.

KING: Did you ever fall into what Di fell into, bulimia?

FERGUSON: No. I have never -- I've always actually wanted to try and get it, can you believe it? Because it would be easier than carrying around this huge bottom. But I never did it. But I suppose because I saw what she....

KING: Went through.

FERGUSON: ...went through.

But you know, the great thing is luckily, I have the support from the Weight Watchers, because it's the friendship and the group care that gets you through.

KING: We'll be back with more moments with Sarah Ferguson and some more of your phone calls right after these words.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FERGUSON: On behalf of children in crisis, we're really thrilled to be building -- helping to get this school under way. It's so important. The school will make a huge difference. Seven out of 10 people in Sierra Leone can't read or write. Within a couple of months, these children will be enjoying the benefits of a real education.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We're back. The book is "What I Know Now." and the author is Sarah Ferguson.

We go to Burlington, Ontario. Hello.

CALLER: Hi, Sarah. Why do you think the press doesn't put the same focus on Sophie as they do on you?

KING: Fair question.

FERGUSON: Yes. I think that at the time when I was married, it was -- you know, it was really the press was at their prime. Prime having a go. And I think they've quite calmed down a bit after Diana's death. I think they might have learned one or two lessons. So I don't think they are quite as bad, although they are very bad. But I think they might have learned one or two things. So I think that's probably why they still do it. Probably I'm very antagonistic, you know, because I do have my own opinions and do speak my mind. Maybe Sophie's very good and sits there and doesn't say much.

KING: Your prime minister are our staunchest ally with the impending threat against Iraq. What do you make of that?

FERGUSON: I think there's an awful lot of troops going in, isn't there, from the United States? And I think Tony Blair and President Bush have been very supportive of each other all the way through. For the last few years. I think that's quite right. And I think -- I love the solidarity between the two countries. I'm proud of it.

KING: You like Mr. Blair?

FERGUSON: Very much. And I also really, really believe in President Bush.

KING: Vancouver, British Columbia. Hello.

FERGUSON: Hi, Larry. Hi, Sarah. I'd like to know how close you were to the queen mum and do you have any stories to share about her? Thank you.

FERGUSON: I'll never forget one story which I know her Majesty wouldn't mind me saying. It was Christmas about three years ago, and she came and saw me in the little house that I was staying in. And she turned to me and she said on the way out, "Well, that was lovely, dear. Now, off you go and talk to all those lovely ladies that do Weight Watchers." And I thought, how clever of her. How clever of her at that age, 99, she was. To A, know that I work for Weight Watchers and, B, what it was about, all those lovely ladies. It was always that, always lovely ladies.

KING: When did you some of the things you did, did the royals get angry and express that anger to you?

FERGUSON: I think that you -- you certainly knew you'd done it wrong in yourself, and that was the greatest judgment.

KING: You didn't need to hear it from them.

FERGUSON: You didn't need to hear it because you knew it.

KING: Golden, Colorado.

CALLER: Good evening, your grace. How are you tonight?

KING: Hi. You talking to me? You calling me your grace? I welcome you into my kingdom.

CALLER: Well, I just wanted the...

KING: Whole crew broke up. I heard that.

CALLER: I wanted to ask the Duchess of York if she would comment on one of her fellow countrymen's success in America, Ozzy Osbourne.

KING: Ozzy Osbourne, what do you make of his fantastic success?

FERGUSON: Well, I congratulate anybody that has a success like that. I mean, he's done a few home runs. And I think he's -- he's amazing what he's succeeded in doing, you know? He really has. He's been through it.

KING: Also a talented musician.

FERGUSON: Very talented. And now he's standing up there and a huge success. Good for him.

KING: Manchester, Kentucky. Hello.

CALLER: Yes, hello, Larry.

CALLER: You have a lovely lady there tonight. I'd just like to say I think she has lots of wisdom. Seems to be bringing up her children quite well. How did she learn that?

KING: Where did you learn that from? Life, huh?

FERGUSON: What I call it is breaking patterns. Is looking at what your mom might have said to you, like she used to say to me "Sarah, stop looking in the mirror, you're so vain." Actually why? She was taught that by her mother. So, I didn't do that to my children because I remember what it was felt like.

KING: You don't repeat your mother's errors? FERGUSON: I learned that from Mother Hale, actually.

KING: One more call. Ottawa, Ontario, hello.

CALLER: Hello. And happy New Year, Sarah and Larry.

KING: Thank you. Same to you.

CALLER: Thank you. My prayers are with you and your family, Duchess Sarah, about your father with his illness. My mother also is living with cancer. And I'm so sorry, my condolences about your mother. I wondered if you had any hopes or resolutions for the new year 2003. Since most people say they want to stop smoking or lose weight. You look fantastic. So you possibly couldn't say you want to lose weight.

FERGUSON: Well, wow. Thank you for all the compliments and the support and everything that you said. I believe that every day should be a resolution. Don't wait for new year. Don't wait for Thanksgiving. Do it today. And I still believe that you -- that there's a long journey ahead. I still believe I make endless mistakes every day. I guess my resolution to be aware of the mistakes.

KING: Do you resolve to meet a man this year?

FERGUSON: That's a good idea. I could put that on my list.

KING: Put that down.

FERGUSON: Yes, one man.

KING: Meet one man. Someone out there.

FERGUSON: One man to go.

KING: Yearning in the wilderness, looking.

KING: Sarah, I thank you so much. Always great to see you. Good luck with the talk show.

FERGUSON: Thank you.

KING: Sarah's book is "What I Know Now, Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way." The Duchess of York is a spokesperson for Weight Watchers International. And I'll be back to tell you about tomorrow night who she doesn't like. Don't go away.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: Tomorrow night, James Hewitt. Diana's former lover who has all those letters. He'll be with us tomorrow night.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0301/07/lkl.00.html

Okay, the transcript from James Hewitt's interview with Larry King on CNN Live is finally available.

On a personal note: The man is a jerk. I wanted to say something else, but I'll refrain from it for now. :angry:

CNN LARRY KING LIVE

Interview With James Hewitt

Aired January 8, 2003 - 21:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight exclusive, James Hewitt, Princes Diana's former lover. She said she adored him. Now there is word he may sell the love letters that she hand wrote to him. We'll get into that and whole lot more with your phone calls. Princess Diana's former lover James Hewitt, here and only here for the hour. Next on LARRY KING LIVE.
KING: A pleasure to welcome James Hewitt to LARRY KING LIVE tonight. He is the former lover of Princess Diana, former British army officer, cooperated in the writing of the book, 1994 "Princess in Love." He wrote a 1999 biography "Love and War" about his affair with Diana and service during the Gulf War.

What did you do during the war?

JAMES HEWITT, PRINCESS DIANA'S FORMER LOVER: I was a tank squadron leader with the British army. And we led the British advance into Iraq and then back into Kuwait.

KING: Many Brits.

HEWITT: There were. I can't remember exactly. Basically two brigades, a division there, but two battle brigades. Armor heavy.

KING: Were you part of the thinking that said you wanted to go further into Iraq?

HEWITT: Further into Kuwait?

KING: Yes. Well and then further into Iraq when the war was won and we stopped?

HEWITT: Well, I mean, I've been asked that question many times before, actually, Larry, and what we did was achieve the mandate which was to liberate Kuwait. Had we done anything more than that, we would have had to get back to the United Nations to get another mandate.

KING: How long did you serve on the tank force?

HEWITT: I was in the army for 17 years.

KING: When and where did you meet Princess Di?

HEWITT: The first time I met Diana was at a polo match at Tidworth, just before she got married. A long, long time ago. KING: Did you exchange pleasantries and what happened at that meeting?

HEWITT: Yes. Just said hello and that's about it.

KING: And then the next time when?

HEWITT: The next time was at Buckingham Palace. I was...

KING: She was now married.

HEWITT: She was now married and I was working in London as a staff captain, organizing ceremonial...

KING: Still in service then?

HEWITT: Still in service, yes. This was about '85, I think.

KING: When did the -- for want of a better term, when did the romance begin?

HEWITT: I should think about six or seven months after that. I can't remember exactly. The dates. But about that.

KING: How did it begin?

HEWITT: Well, I was her riding instructor. She -- we met again at her drinks party. And she showed an interest to want to learn it ride again. She lost her -- she lost her love as a child, and discovered that I was a riding instructor. And asked me if I would take her in hand and get her confidence back again.

KING: Were you married, James?

No, I haven't been married.

KING: Never married?

HEWITT: No.

KING: At the time that this spark took place, what was that -- was it her first, you first, together? How does something like that...

HEWITT: Think it is a mutual thing really. Yes. It is a...

KING: Did you ever say to yourself, this is a princess? She's married to what could be the next king? I'm stepping into trouble?

HEWITT: Yes, I did. But what was foremost in my mind was the fact that she was a lonely, unloved woman who needed company and friendship and love at a very important time in her life. And rightly or wrongly I was there to provide that as well.

KING: Did you love her?

HEWITT: Yes, very much.

KING: Would you if she had left Charles, would you have married her? Was it that kind of love? Was it deep?

HEWITT: Yes, it was deep and meaningful. And -- but so much happened after. It is difficult to say. At some stages, I suppose there was always that possibility.

KING: How long had the relationship last?

HEWITT: Five years.

KING: What ended it?

HEWITT: I think the media interest and the difficulties that go along with that.

KING: They found out?

HEWITT: They found out in the end.

KING: She was still married when they found out or had divorce taken place?

HEWITT: No, she was still married when they found out.

KING: What happened to you when that news broke?

HEWITT: When -- the first inclination when it first became public, I was still in the Gulf, and the war had just finished. And we were sitting in a -- under a sand dune waiting to be taken out of the desert, and someone showed me a newspaper with the details in it. So that's the first time.

KING: You're out in the desert, the end of a war, reading the details of a private relationship that you've had with one of the most famous women in the world?

HEWITT: Yes.

KING: First reaction?

HEWITT: Well, shock. And worry. That was my first reaction.

KING: What were the reaction of your compatriots in the service?

HEWITT: Probably shock as well.

KING: Were they -- there must have been shock.

HEWITT: There was shock. There was a huge amount of support. We had just gone through what was meant to be the mother of all battles, and had success. And it was rather nice to be amongst people of your own sort of attitude.

KING: They commiserated. HEWITT: There wasn't anything to commiserate at that stage. But they were very supportive and wonderful sort of camaraderie.

KING: The affair was over already, though, right?

HEWITT: The war just finished, yes.

KING: And the affair had finished?

HEWITT: No, no, no.

KING: The story finished at affair.

HEWITT: I think that was the beginning of the end if you like.

KING: Did you see her after the story broke?

KING: Paul Burrell, when he was here, said he had a cover for you many times. Is that true? That he was sort of like -- he knew what was going on?

HEWITT: He did know what was going on. And I think, you know, he was very helpful and very discreet at the time and very professional to his job. I'm grateful for that.

KING: What did you love about her the most?

HEWITT: I'm sorry?

KING: What did you love about her the most?

HEWITT: She was beautiful, charming, sense of humor, kind, very kind, sincere.

KING: Very sensual, sexual?

HEWITT: I'm not really going to go into that in great detail. But she was a very loving person.

KING: All right. How did the letter writing, which is the purpose of you being here, we'll discuss that, how did that start in a day and age of electronic mail?

HEWITT: Well, the letters -- the famous letters that have become famous really comprise of a number of air mail letters that people can send to soldiers in the front line.

KING: Most of them was when you were in service?

HEWITT: Yes, I mean, the ones that we're talking about.

KING: Right you couldn't see her.

HEWITT: I couldn't see her. And the wonderful thing is that there was a great effort made to get mail and that sort of thing to people on the front line. And it made an awful lot of difference. It is extremely good for morale.

KING: Did you write letters to her?

HEWITT: Yes, I did.

KING: The princess writes a letter, posts it and finds its way to you and you write a letter to -- how did you address it? Princess Di, I love you?

HEWITT: She addressed her letters to me. Care of British forces post office box number. I can't quite remember the number. I should. And she -- you have to put the sender's name on the back and she used a nondeplume. And my letters were addressed to her with my initials in the bottom left-hand corner of the envelope.

KING: Didn't she get tons of mail?

HEWITT: Probably, yes.

KING: She had to go through it and find yours?

HEWITT: Yes, but I mean, but if you send mail, it goes to her office. And if the initials are recognized, they get sent to her and not opened by anyone else.

KING: Well Right back with James Hewitt, the former lover of princess Diana. We'll talk about the letters, what he intends to do with them. How the news of the world, a tabloid in London sort of snookered him in a sense and we'll take your calls as well. Don't go away.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

HEWITT: How much I loved and admired Diana. And it is a time when she seemed to have found a certain and deserved happiness in her life which has been so tragically and undeservedly taken away from her. I loved her and will miss her terribly.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP, "PANORAMA")

DIANA, PRINCESS OF WALES: And he had rung me up 10 days where before it was to arrive. And the bookstores told me there was nothing to worry about. And I believed him, stupidly.

And then when it did arrive, the first thing I did was rush down to talk to my children and William produced a box of chocolates and said, Mommy, I think you've been hurt. These are to make you smile again. So...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Did your relationship go beyond a close friendship?

DIANA: Yes, it did. Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Were you unfaithful?

DIANA: Yes, I had adored him. Yes, I was in love with him. But I was very let down.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: That was Princess Di in a BBC interview on a program called "Panorama." Did you watch that show?

HEWITT: I did watch it, yes.

KING: How did you feel?

HEWITT: I didn't know it was coming out until the last moment. I remember being in Devon, in my house in Devon and I watched it and -- I don't know. I can't remember exactly how I felt. I know there were a lot of people outside my house at the time ready to sort of try and...

KING: How did you let her down?

HEWITT: I let her down, I think, when I moved to Germany. I wasn't there...

KING: Available.

HEWITT: I wasn't there for her anymore.

KING: You ended the relationship?

HEWITT: I didn't really, I don't think. But I made a decision to move to Germany with my regiment and the army and...

KING: She certainly perceived it that way.

HEWITT: Well, yes, I think, you know, I mean -- in any relationship, when there is a falling out or disagreement, it can be perceived to be hurtful and one is not there for the other person.

KING: Now we have entrance of the tabloid "News of the World" with its December 15 headline -- screaming front page headline "Exclusive: We Catch Rat Flogging Secret Notes: Hewitt Sells Sex Letters."

Quoting from the story "He," meaning you, James Hewitt, "had already rejected a 4 million pound offer from an American collector for just 10 of the most salacious of his 64 letters when our undercover investigator stepped in. Our team posed as middle men for a Swiss tycoon with a better offer, collected evidence that finally exposes what a degenerate Hewitt has become.

Just yesterday morning, December 14, he told one of our men at a meeting in London's Claridges Hotel, 'I want 10 million pounds for the lot of them.' For that he was prepared to reveal Diana's nicknames for their private parts and the sex toys she sent to him in Kuwait and fantasies they shared."

Your chance now to respond to that.

HEWITT: I think it's almost laughable, to be honest. Had it not been for the fact that the letters were stolen from my safe at my home in Devon.

KING: Stolen by this newspaper?

HEWITT: They weren't, actually. They were stolen by "The Mirror."

KING: Another paper?

HEWITT: Another paper a few years ago. They would have remained absolutely private.

KING: You had no intention of...

HEWITT: I had no intention at all.

KING: How did "The News of the World" get this story? Where did they -- where did this come from that you had rejected an offer of four million pounds?

HEWITT: Well, I had no intention to sell these letters. But I was approached by someone who offered 5 million pounds for 10 letters. And I was interested to see if that would be a genuine offer. I mean, it's a lot of money. And sadly the letters have become famous. And that's how it has all -- that's how it's been.

KING: And what about their story that you said you could get 10 million for them?

HEWITT: Well, that is not absolutely accurate. So -- and basically, yes, it was a sting.

KING: They set you up.

HEWITT: Someone posed as a private collector. And had they been going to someone who would keep them private, I might well have been tempted to take that sort of money for them.

KING: So their story is...

HEWITT: It was difficult to keep them safe. And quite honestly, I couldn't afford to keep them anymore.

KING: Where are they now?

HEWITT: Well, they're in a safe place abroad.

KING: And are they for sale? Will you sell them? If someone is looking at tonight, with that kind of money who wants to by them, are you available to sell them? Do you want to sell them?

HEWITT: Yes, I would be available to sell them.

KING: And the purchaser can do whatever he wishes or he or she wishes? They could print them...

HEWITT: No, I wouldn't suggest that.

KING: Would you stipulate that they could not be shown?

HEWITT: Yes. There would be certain stipulations. I mean, ideally I think it would be to a private collector or a museum. I mean, I think that it's important to understand that they are or will become important historical documents.

KING: Oh, they will. But a museum would want to display them, wouldn't they?

HEWITT: Well, eventually, yes. Eventually. And I think that's quite important. I think it would be irresponsible to destroy them. But I'm open to suggestions, you know.

KING: Have people contacted you?

HEWITT: I was contacted before, awhile back and...

KING: But not recently?

HEWITT: Not recently, no.

KING: How does someone contact you?

HEWITT: Well, I'm -- you know, I'm fairly easy to contact.

KING: You are? You're not hard to reach.

HEWITT: I'm not hard to reach.

KING: We'll take a break and be back with more of James Hewitt. We'll be taking your phone calls. We'll get into other aspects and more on this really fascinating story, a story of a Princess Di, the story that never goes away, does it?

We'll be right back.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP, "PANORAMA")

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Another book that was published recently concerned a Mr. James Hewitt, in which he claimed to have had a very close relationship with you from about 1989, I think. What was the nature of your relationship?

DIANA: He was a great friend of mine at a very difficult time -- yet another difficult time. And he was always there to support me. And I was just absolutely devastated when this book appeared because I had trusted him. And because, again, I worried about the reaction on my children. I knew there was factual evidence in the book but a lot of it was -- comes from another world. Didn't equate to what happened.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What do you mean?

DIANA: Well, there was a lot of fantasy in that book. And it was very distressing for me that a friend of mine who I had trusted made money out of me. I really minded about that.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We're back with James Hewitt. We'll go to your calls at the bottom of the hour. Paul Burrell, the former butler to Princess Di, and Sarah, last night, the Duchess of York, were guests and had comments about Mr. Hewitt. Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

PAUL BURRELL, PRINCESS DIANA: I always liked James Hewitt. I thought he was a very nice man. Never expected him do that. But how disgusting for another human being to actually do that to another. What is between two people and is very personal and private and love is the most precious thing.

SARAH FERGUSON, DUCHESS OF YORK: I think it is very interesting that he just before I came on this show called up and said would I like to have a drink with him. Don't you think that's funny? I mean, the answer is no, James, I don't want to have a drink with you. If I did, it would probably end up in the newspaper the next day.

KING: What do you think of that whole thing of the letters and...

FERGUSON: I think he should just be quiet and go away and, you know, betrayal, is I think, is the most horrible, horrible thing you can do to anyone.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: Your response?

HEWITT: To what?

KING: To both those statements? Do you feel it is betrayal and Mr. Burrell is shocked.

HEWITT: I don't know what he's shocked about. I have never betrayed...

KING: I guess he feels the selling of the letters is a betrayal of the utmost of confidence, the writing of a letter.

HEWITT: Well, I don't think it is. There is nothing to be ashamed about in those letters at all. As I suggested earlier that important historical documents and they should be preserved for the future. And I don't think that I've betrayed -- I was utterly faithful to her when she was alive. I've been utterly faithful since she sadly is no long we are us.

KING: Are you hurt that people like this feel that way about you?

HEWITT: In a way, yes. It is not some of the epithets are not nice. But, you know, mostly it is ill informed, I think. You know if you haven't got something nice to say about someone, then don't bother saying it. The sad thing is that, you know, last time I saw Sarah Ferguson she came bounding up to me in a hotel in London and was very friendly.

I thought it was just only good manners since we're in the same city abroad that I should ask her for a drink. It's sad that she should feel fit to reply to that private invitation on publicly on air. That's all. I'm not here to try and carry favor or -- I've got nothing to promote. I don't need to be a popular figure.

KING: You realize that you're in a position where you're not going to be a popular figure.

HEWITT: I think no matter what I say, you know, I realize that for a long time.

KING: You also wrote a book, too, right?

HEWITT: I wrote a book called "Love and War," yes. That was about me.

KING: Did you ever think in some ways...

HEWITT: But can I just sort of go back there? So have many other people written books? Am I the only person in the world not allowed to write a book about myself? I mean, I think that most of this hate and vilification is generated by the tabloid papers. Who need someone to paint as a baddy because every good story needs a baddy. Unfortunately I'm that person.

KING: Well, I guess if you announced tonight that you were donating these letters to the British museum and that 100 years from today they could put them on display when all of us are not here, they would have to praise you so they're taking advantage of the...

HEWITT: I don't want to be praised either, particularly, Larry. I just want to be accepted for what I am in a sensible way rather than for people to have to rely on the tabloid nonsense to learn either the wrong or the right things about me. That's all. And that may well happen. You know.

KING: Why don't you contact the person who offered the 4 million pounds, take that deal and let it all go away?

HEWITT: So, you're suggesting that's a good idea? KING: I mean if you want to get it offer with, you want to get probably the letters are almost a curse having them, obviously it is public, everyone knows about the letters you do want to sell them, you need the money you want -- it is a lot of money.

HEWITT: Yes, I mean, that is another option. I mean, you know, you put two options in front of me. And both of them seem to be utterly sensible.

KING: The British museum makes sense.

HEWITT: The British museum or 4 million pounds. A lot of good can be done with that rather for them to sit and rot in a safe somewhere. I think it would be irresponsible to sell them and generate something that one can do some good with. I don't know. But the other interesting thing is I think most people who would -- who find themselves in the same situation would do what I suggested.

I'm not being hypocritical about this. I'm being honest. I think that's the best policy. I mean, you know, if they were sold for 10 million pounds, I think, you know, ask your peers who wouldn't be inclined to sell them for that?

KING: Everyone would read them. I mean, if whoever bought them published them, this would be one of the best-selling books of all time.

HEWITT: Well, I could have done that and I don't want to.

KING: You could have done it.

HEWITT: Everything, you know, that I've written and have spoken about has been, I think, been decent and fair in her memory.

KING: Let me get a break and we'll come back and include viewer calls.

Our guest is James Hewitt, former British Army officer, the former lover of Princess Diana. He's here with us. Having flown in from London for his appearance.

Tomorrow night, Jermaine Jackson one of the original Jacksons will be aboard.

And on Saturday Night, a special edition of LARRY KING WEEKEND, Sean Penn, in his only interview to discuss his trip to Iraq. Sean Penn on Saturday.

Right back with Mr. Hewitt and your calls. Don't go away.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We're back with James Hewitt, who owns the -- who has in his possession these incredible letters. I am told by the staff, I had no knowledge of this, that they're looking -- the tabloids are suddenly looking to get a lock of Harry's hair and they're going try to take that hair to check with DNA to see if you're the father.

Have you ever thought you were the father of Harry?

HEWITT: I mean, this is unbelievably...

KING: Tell me about this.

HEWITT: Well, I think it is just ghastly and selfish of the tabloids who, again, are running this story to make money.

KING: You know you're not Harry's father?

HEWITT: Well, I think the poor chap has gone through enough. It's been suggested before and I said many times I'm not. And I think it's just laughable. I think we put too much on listening to these stupid stories and reading these stupid stories.

KING: Princess Diana had an affair before you, did she not?

HEWITT: I can't comment.

KING: Did she ever tell you that she had one?

HEWITT: I'm not going to comment about that.

KING: Let's go to calls.

Burlington, Ontario, for James Hewitt, hello.

CALLER: Hello. Good evening, gentleman.

KING: Hi,.

CALLER: I just had a question for Mr. Hewitt. I'm a little bit confused with some of his statements. He states that he loved the princess and in life and respected her in life, but yet he published a book with intimate details of their relationship before she died, while she was living and knowing that she would be publicly humiliated and embarrassed by this publication.

He states that after her death he continued to respect that and has continued to be faithful. Yet he's considering selling these letters, not donating them as you said, Larry, and not donating the income perhaps to a charity who can do considerable amount of good, but rather pocketing the money.

I'm also confused by his definition of the horrible values of the tabloids. It seems that he's making the tabloids accountable for their behavior, but I wonder what he would define as accountability on his part?

KING: OK. Fairly stated. Want to respond?

HEWITT: That was quite long. Thank you for your question. Where do I start?

KING: Well, she said you wrote a book.

HEWITT: Right. No...

KING: While Diana was alive.

HEWITT: No, I didn't publish a book. That was unfair and inaccurate to suggest that. I didn't.

KING: There was a book then written by someone else?

HEWITT: Yes, written by Anna Pasternak. And I did have a certain amount to do with it. I do regret that. I was asked by Diana to speak to journalists around the time of her divorce with Charles to try and paint a rather anodyne picture of our relationship and it didn't work. It backfired. It was a silly thing to do and I do regret that. And I have stated that.

And in my book, "Love and War" and have covered that.

KING: And you in no way -- you don't look at the selling of the letters as a -- in a sense, put-down of her or a treatment of her...

HEWITT: Well, the question of -- it presupposes I would pocket all the money. And I think that's an unfair accusation...

KING: All right. What would you do?

HEWITT: I don't know at the moment. All I'm really saying to you, Larry, and to everyone out there is that I'm not going to be hypocritical. Yes, I was interested when someone offered me a large sum of money.

KING: And you would be interested if you got an offer tomorrow?

HEWITT: Yes, I would be.

KING: But what you will do with the money you will not say?

HEWITT: An awful lot of good can be done with that money.

KING: And you will do a lot of good with the money?

KING: Chicago, hello. Chicago, hello.

CALLER: Yes.

CALLER: Hello, Larry.

KING: HI,

Hello, Mr. Hewitt.

HEWITT: Hello.

CALLER: The shock of Diana's death was one of those rare tragedies that makes us remember where we were when we heard this news. May I ask you, Mr. Hewitt, where you were and how you received this news?

HEWITT: Yes, I was in Spain on a holiday at the time in the south of Spain. And...

KING: How did you hear?

HEWITT: Well, it -- was about 10:00 in the morning, Sunday morning that I heard. I was about to go down to the beach with a group of friends of mine and have lunch and then swim. And went back, strange enough to get my mobile phone or to see if I had any messages. And I turned it on and I heard a huge amount of messages. And the first one was from a great friend of mine, calling (ph) from McKenzie Hill and he gave me the news.

KING: I guess it is impossible to describe -- you know, your first reaction was shock.

HEWITT: Just shocked -- shocked and saddened, yes.

KING: Did you attend the funeral?

HEWITT: No, I did not.

KING: Transfer, Pennsylvania, hello.

CALLER: Yes, hi, Mr. Hewitt.

CALLER: Most of us never had the opportunity to know the true Princess Diana. Even though we read the books and they're all out there. We never have known her the way you did.

In your opinion, had Princess Diana never married Prince Charles, what would her life had been like and would she still -- do you think she would have donated her time to the charities and would you still have been attracted to her?

KING: All these are hypothetics, but they're fair.

HEWITT: Yes, I think -- I mean, she was generally -- genuinely, excuse me, genuinely kind and a caring person. And I think she would have been drawn to serving charities and helping in any way she could, in that respect.

KING: Would she have been a successful person, do you think?

HEWITT: Yes, I think she would have.

KING: Did you or her during this relationship ever feel guilt? Or was she so unhappy that you weren't guilty. HEWITT: Well, yes. And that's a good point. I think that it was assuaged, if you like, the feeling of guilty because had I not been there to support and love and give her the support that she was craving at the time, it would have been a very sad situation for her.

KING: So you didn't sit around each other and have remorse?

KING: By the way, just thought of something, you're in the reserves, aren't you?

HEWITT: I am in the reserve.

KING: You could get called fun action is in Iraq, couldn't you?

HEWITT: I could. It depends how involved it becomes and how...

KING: Would you want to go?

HEWITT: ...prolonged it is. Well, I'd have to go if I was told to. But, I mean, yes, I probably would want to go.

KING: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for James Hewitt, hello.

CALLER: Good evening, Larry, James.

HEWITT: Good evening.

CALLER: I have a two-part question. In the weeks preceding Diana's death, knowing what had transpired between the two of you, how did that make you feel knowing everything was going to come out and, secondly what plans do you have for your future?

HEWITT: I don't quite understand the first part of the question. What plans...

KING: When you knew it was going to -- did you know this story was going to come out? And what was it like...

HEWITT: Which story is that?

KING: The story that you and Diana had an affair. Or you were totally shocked that it came out?

HEWITT: No. Not totally shocked. I mean, it...

KING: I mean, you figured you got away with five years of this, right?

KING: You were treading on...

KING: ...on ice a little. So you weren't totally shocked.

HEWITT: I wasn't totally shocked. Sorry, I thought the caller was talking about the few moments before her death. I misheard that.

KING: Did you expect her to marry Fayed?

HEWITT: No, I don't think so.

KING: Don't think she would have?

KING: And your own future?

HEWITT: My own future...

KING: Does it depend on the sale of these letters...

HEWITT: Well, no, I don't think it does. I mean, you know, I don't think it does. My future, I'm not quite sure about. I think it is out of -- no, I'm not employed. I'll probably leave England this year and try and start another life elsewhere.

KING: Did you move to Germany previously?

HEWITT: I was a serving officer at that stage. I was placed with my regimen.

KING: Where are you thinking about living?

HEWITT: Somewhere around the Mediterranean, Eastern Europe that sort of --

KING: Des Moines, Iowa, hello.

CALLER: Hello, Larry. Hello, Major Hewitt.

CALLER: I love your book "Love And War," and I thought it was very good. It had a lot of very personal information about your military career.

But even with the stipulation you stated earlier in the show about the contents of the letters not being shown, and really no guarantee on that, how do you feel about Diana's sons possibly knowing the contents of these letters, you know, their feelings on this.

KING: Yes.

HEWITT: That's a good question. I mean, the letters are extremely well written. They're very loving and there is no -- and nothing to be ashamed of.

KING: But there are some that are obviously sexual in content.

HEWITT: No I don't think so.

KING: They're not?

HEWITT: I think if they're read, you know, in content...

KING: You not say any of it is salacious?

HEWITT: Absolutely not.

KING: We'll take a break and come back with more calls for James Hewitt. Don't go away.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

QUEEN ELIZABETH II: First, I want to pay tribute to Diana myself. She was an exceptional and gifted human being. In good times and bad, she never lost her capacity to smile and laugh, nor to inspire others with her warmth and kindness. I admired and respected her for her energy and commitment to others, and especially for her devotion to her two boys.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We're back with James Hewitt.

Trenton, Ontario, hello.

CALLER: It is a question for Mr. Hewitt.

KING: Sure, go ahead.

CALLER: When you think about it now, would you have got involved or would you have walked away?

HEWITT: Well, that's a good -- a very good question. Thank you for that. I try not to regret and I think -- I think it is -- it has been worth all the problems and troubles since then.

KING: Worth it because the relationship was that...

HEWITT: Yes, it was very important and it was very loving. And that's not really the issue. The issue -- I mean, OK, there would have been a certain amount of interest and intrigue, but not the vilification. That was never expected. So I would have made the same decisions for all the same right reasons that I did then.

KING: Now, there has to be, though, logically, James, sensual aspects to the letters or they would not be of great interest in them. This isn't James, I love you, I miss you, good luck on the front. There has to be something that creates this interest. We realize (UNINTELLIGIBLE) the interest, right? You don't have to tell me what it is, but there has to be something beyond hello, James.

KING: OK. That's all I wanted to know. Because it is easy to -- people can sit back, but I don't know how everyone would react if they were offered 4 million pounds for something. What they would do.

Tucson, Arizona. Hello.

CALLER: Yes, James Hewitt, since you're willing to let go of the letters, how about using integrity and conscience and give the letters to Diana's dignified sons. And allow them to make the decision or decisions of what to do with the letters, which will be of comfort to them.

HEWITT: Well, that's a very good point and thank you for that. And that's another possibility. As I mentioned before, you know, these were private -- they were kept private. And unknown about until they were stolen from me. They are my property.

KING: Who stole them?

HEWITT: They were stolen from my safe by the mirror.

KING: That's right, the mirror. What did they do with them? They didn't print them?

HEWITT: They printed aspects of them. They are the people who...

KING: Started all this.

HEWITT: These are the people who started all this.

KING: How did you get them back?

HEWITT: I'm not a complete saint, and I accept responsibility for not keeping them more secure.

KING: How did you get them back?

HEWITT: I had to fight for them in the court. My solicitor -- my lawyer issued a high court order to get them back. It took a long time and not a little money either.

KING: Bainbridge, Georgia, hello.

Mr. Hewitt, I don't agree with how you've chosen to profit on your relationship with the princess and instead of selling her secrets, why not write a book about her favorite moments and movies or the perfume she wore, things that don't get written about. I'd much rather read about that than what went on between the two of you between the sheets and I know her children would as well.

HEWITT: Well, I agree with you. I haven't written anything of the sort.

KING: You know a lot about her, at the lady said, forget the bed, you know a lot about her. You were her lover for five years. She loved you, you loved her. You know a lot about her.

HEWITT: Yes. I'm not sure that is going to remain with me and I'll take it with me to my grave. When that comes sooner or later. I haven't divulged any secrets. It has been reported that I have but, you know many of these reports are inaccurate, and laughable.

KING: Do people come up to you on the street in London when you walk -- how are you -- how does the public generally react to you?

HEWITT: Very well.

KING: They do?

HEWITT: Yes. I mean, yes. I mean, all this is complete and utter fabrication, really on the part of the tabloid press in England.

(CROSSTALK)

KING: This is not invented by them. "The Mirror" there were the letters, they did a terrible thing in the way they took them, and the news of the world sand bagged you but you did say those things.

HEWITT: I didn't say all those things.

KING: You didn't say the 10 million pound thing.

HEWITT: I didn't say all those things. Bits of it are accurate. Much of it is inaccurate.

KING: Parts are inaccurate.

HEWITT: So, I wouldn't, you know, I wouldn't want the tabloids to write history.

KING: No. Garden City, Michigan, hello.

CALLER: I just have a question for Mr. Hewitt. I love the royal family so much. Has he ever received Diana's grave?

KING: Have you ever been to Diana's grave?

HEWITT: No I haven't.

KING: Reason?

HEWITT: I don't think I would be welcome.

KING: Can't you go as a citizen?

HEWITT: I don't think it would be that easy to do.

KING: And it would make the tabloids? HEWITT: Well, I try not to be governed by the tabloids. I'm not really bothered about that, but I think it wouldn't be that appropriate.

KING: By the way, would you come back from Spain after learning of her death?

HEWITT: Yes, I flew back right away.

KING: We'll be back with our remaining moments with James Hewitt after these words.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: We're back with James Hewitt. Yonkers, New York. Hello.

CALLER: Hi. This question is for Hewitt. James Hewitt, sorry. Did you ever get a chance to explain to Diana why you wrote the book she was so devastated over and, also what is it like having such secretive relationship for five years?

KING: Two good questions.

HEWITT: I did speak to her before that book went out. I tried to stop the publication of it. I begged with the author that it shouldn't be put out. But it was. And...

KING: Is that your book?

KING: The book about...

HEWITT: No I wrote a book about myself after she had died.

KING: What was it like to have a five-year secret?

HEWITT: Pretty difficult.

KING: Was Paul Burrell one of the few people who knew about it?

HEWITT: Yes. I still don't know the extent of who knew about it.

KING: Did you confide in anyone?

HEWITT: Yes, I did. My family because we used to go down down to my family home in Devon.

KING: Your parents?

HEWITT: My parents knew about it. And my sisters. And they became very good friends. But it wasn't -- it wasn't easy t wasn't easy on a personal level. Having a relationship at a distance.

KING: No. Manassas, Virginia, hello. CALLER: Good evening, Larry. Good evening, Mr. Hewitt. I would like to ask you since you seem determined to sell the late princess of Wales' very personal, private letters to you, would you consider giving the money to the clearing of the land mines that were so dear to her heart?

HEWITT: Yes, I would consider helping with that organization.

KING: Phoenix, Arizona. Hello?

CALLER: Hi, Mr. Hewitt. I was wondering what was your favorite memory of you and the princess together?

KING: Couldn't be public.

HEWITT: No. No. It wasn't public. I just remember her as being very caring, loving and a special person. And very honored to share that with her.

KING: Sarah said last night that one of the things that probably least known about her is how funny she was. True?

HEWITT: Yes. This he did have a very good sense of humor.

KING: To Vancouver, British Columbia, hello.

CALLER: Hello, Mr. Hewitt.

CALLER: I think that considering all the other players, you had a little bit of a bad rap. And I was wondering if you had any support from your family and friends?

HEWITT: I'm very lucky. Thank you for that question. I've been -- I'm very lucky. I have a very loving and close family. And I have superb friends, too.

KING: In society, are you a pariah?

HEWITT: Not really a society person.

KING: You don't get invited to the parties that the in-Londoner gets invited to?

HEWITT: I do get invited to parties, yes.

KING: You do?

HEWITT: How in they are I don't know. But I do. I do. I mean -- I live fairly normally surprisingly.

KING: How do you support yourself?

HEWITT: Financially, you mean?

KING: Yes?

HEWITT: I have investments. And...

KING: Army pension?

HEWITT: I do have an army pension. I do, yes.

KING: All of this -- are you -- are you unhappy?

HEWITT: No. I have my downs as well as anybody else. But I'm generally an optimistic and happy person.

KING: Glass is half full?

HEWITT: I tend to look at it like that, yes.

KING: Thanks, James.

HEWITT: Thank you very much, indeed.

KING: Thank you for coming. James Hewitt.

We'll be back in a minute to talk with Aaron Brown about a great lady who passed away today and about what is coming up on LARRY KING LIVE. Don't go away.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: Tomorrow night on LARRY KING LIVE, Sarah McClendon joins us. And don't forget -- sorry. Jermaine Jackson will join us. I'm going to talk about Sarah in minute. Jermaine Jackson tomorrow night. And on Saturday night, Sean Penn for first interview ever that he's had discussing Iraq.

I said Sarah McClendon. God, I wish she would be joining us tomorrow night. She left us today, Sarah McClendon passed away at age 91. One of great journalists, terrific lady, had an opportunity to interview her a number of times and always great just being in her presence.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0301/08/lkl.00.html

I was in the grocery store last night and looked through a respectable magazine that was interviewing Fergie. She said that Eugenie looks just like Prince Andrew, but acts like her! I was surprised. On the other hand she said that Beatrice looks more like her, but is very royal. Beatrice has a high sense of duty. Fergie also said that the Queen is a good granny and the girls are close to her.

She first met Charles and Camilla when she was 13 years old. She thinks Charles is a great man and wishes him and Camilla luck.

They asked her about the rumor that she has moved from Prince Andrew's house and she said that her new home is actually a cottage on the estate. She lives there when the girls aren't home. She can paint, write, relax there, etc. So, I guess when the girls are home she still lives in Andrew's house.

I personally don't know why Andrew and Fergie didn't stay married. She said that they are best friends. After all they're living together and are raising their girls together too.

Ronald Ferguson, father of Duchess of York, dead at 71
Mon Mar 17, 8:54 AM ET

By SUE LEEMAN, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - Ronald Ferguson, former polo coach to Prince Charles and father of Sarah Ferguson, the duchess of York, has died at 71, a family spokeswoman said Monday.

Ferguson, who used his former army title of major in civilian life, died Sunday night at a clinic in Hampshire, southern England, after suffering a heart attack, said the spokeswoman, speaking on condition of anonymity. He had been diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1996 and had several previous heart attacks.

The family spokeswoman said the duchess, who recently spent time with her father, was on her way to Australia, where she had commitments as a spokeswoman for WeightWatchers, but would return to Britain at the end of the week. "She ... is grateful for the time she had with her father to say goodbye," she said.

Educated at prestigious Eton College and Sandhurst military academy in southern England, Ferguson received a commission in the Household Cavalry, where he served for 19 years.

For several years, he captained the Sovereign's Escort, mounted officers who escort Queen Elizabeth II during the Trooping the Color military parade held to mark her birthday.

A well-known figure in polo circles, he lost his job as manager of the elite Guards Polo Club in 1988 after a tabloid published photographs of him entering and leaving a seedy London massage parlor.

Further humiliation followed in 1994 with the publication of a memoir by polo-loving public relations executive Lesley Player, who claimed she had had an affair with Ferguson, forcing him to quit his role as sponsorship organizer at the exclusive Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club.

He tried to ride out the scandal, but it was too much for Charles, and he was let go as the prince's polo manager after 21 years.

Ferguson stood by his fiery daughter as her marriage to the queen's second son, Prince Andrew, collapsed.

A gruff, bluff character who was not afraid to speak his mind, he accused royal courtiers of undermining his daughter.

His 1965 marriage to his first wife, Susan, produced Sarah and an elder sister, Jane.

The marriage broke up after Ferguson had an affair and his wife sought comfort with Argentinian polo star Hector Barrantes; after the Fergusons divorced, she set up home with Barrantes on a remote ranch west of the capital, Buenos Aires.

Left to bring up his daughters alone, Ferguson married his second wife, also Susan, in 1976. They had three children, Andrew, Alice and Eliza.

He is survived by his wife and five children. Funeral details were not immediately available.

Article From: Yahoo News

Duchess of York to continue with Australian talks despite death of father
Mon Mar 17, 4:14 PM ET

SYDNEY, Australia - Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, will give a talk on dieting in Sydney despite the death of her father, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Ronald Ferguson, 71, died Sunday night in a British hospital after a series of heart attacks while his daughter was flying to Australia for a series of promotional talks for weight-loss company Weight Watchers.

Ferguson heard the news as she stopped over in Bangkok, the spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity.

"Apparently she's doing incredibly well and being really strong about everything, and that's part of the reason why she wants to just push forward and do (the meeting) this morning," the spokeswoman said.

The duchess is expected to fly home at the end of the week.

Article From: Yahoo News

Sarah & Andrew at the funeral of Sarah's father, Major Ron Ferguson in Odiham, Hampshire, Britain on March 24, 2003.

Picture from RexFeatures.

Another picture at the funeral of Major Ferguson.
Andrew, Beatrice, Sarah and her sister. Eugenie could not attend the funeral.

Picture form RexFeatures.

Attachments

• 410396h.jpg
    410396h.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 410396r.jpg
    410396r.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
Thanks for the great pictures. It is wonderful the way Prince Andrew and Sarah have managed to remain friends. Now that sets a good example for all divorced parents, as long as they can both reside in a house big enough that they don't have to see the other when not in the right mood. ;)

Duchess still thinks she is 'fat'
The Duchess of York says she still suffers from "fat lady syndrome" despite shedding nearly six stones in the last decade.

Sarah Ferguson said that even after dropping from 16st to 10st she remained insecure about her figure.

"I've still got fat lady syndrome, when clearly I'm not overweight," she told the New York Times.

"Once you have a weight problem, you believe you'll always have a problem."

The Duchess now promotes Weight Watchers which celebrated its 40th anniversary today in New York.

She also told the newspaper that there was currently "nobody, absolutely nothing" romantically.

But she said her concerns about her weight meant she could never date Hollywood stars.

"I love actors but I think they're always taken by lovely young people with tiny, little figures."

From Ananova

Attachments

• 3163.jpg
    3163.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 441
www.ibl.se

Mandatory Credit: Photo By JULIAN MAKEY/REX FEATURES SARAH DUCHESS OF YORK SARAH DUCHESS OF YORK LAUNCHING BANDANNA '03 CAMPAIGN FOR THE TEENAGE CANCER TRUST, EQUINOX, LEICESTER SQUARE, LONDON, BRITAIN - 08 MAY 2003 --SARAH HITS THE SKINS-- Sarah, Duchess of York turned out for the launch of the Teenage Cancer Trust's 2003 Bandanna Campaign, joining a troupe of djembe players at Equinox, Leicester Square (8 May). The cancer charity aims to raise money for, build awareness of and show solidarity with teenage cancer patients, who often lose their hair during treatment. 416553/JMK

Attachments

• EN_fergie_500.jpg
    EN_fergie_500.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 853
  • EN_fergie_500a.jpg
    EN_fergie_500a.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 898
  • EN_fergie_500b.jpg
    EN_fergie_500b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 876
Last edited by a moderator:
From www.ananova.com:

Duchess dons bandanna to help launch cancer campaign

The Duchess of York has donned a bandanna and banged drums to help launch a cancer charity campaign.

Bandanna 03 is run by the Teenage Cancer Trust and raises money for special hospital units to care for teenagers with the disease.

The Duchess, patron of the charity, said: "My stepfather died of lymphoma cancer and I wanted to see what I could do to make sure we could find a cure.

"I've been involved with the charity for 15 years and I wanted to help teenagers because I feel I still am one.

With these units we can really make a difference."

Bandannas were chosen for the charity's third annual campaign because many patients lose their hair as a side effect of treatment.

They are on sale at Tie Rack, Topshop, Mk One and Selfridges and include designs by The Sugababes. They cost £5 each, with at least £2 going to the charity.

Asked about her 17-year-old niece Ayesha Makim's recent underwear-revealing appearance on an Australian catwalk, the 43-year-old Duchess laughed.

She said: "She looks great and I am 100% behind her. She's a teenager and this is what teenagers are about. They make statements and they are prepared to be on the cutting edge."

The Duchess was attending rehearsals for the main campaign launch party at Equinox nightclub in London's Leicester Square.

Events will include the Trust's teenagers drumming, and a fashion show by students from the London College of Fashion. The campaign runs until September 2003.

1,2.Polfoto 19-06-2003 DUCHESS OF YORK SARAH FERGUSON AT A SIGNING FOR HER NEW BOOK, MOMENTS: REFLECTIONS IN WORDS AND PICTURES. PH JEFF MOORE19/06/03

3-6.Some pictures from Fergie's new book. I love the next two pics. What a nice snippet of a moment between a father and daughter.

7,8.www.rexfeatures.com - Sarah, Duchess of York, signing book ‘Moments’ at Selfridges, London, 19 June 2003

Attachments

• fergie_ch051809_guesta.jpg
    fergie_ch051809_guesta.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 321
  • fergie_ch051808_guestb.jpg
    fergie_ch051808_guestb.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 299
  • a_0__2003280116_00.jpg
    a_0__2003280116_00.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 804
  • b_0__2003280095_00.jpg
    b_0__2003280095_00.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 743
  • c_0__2003280121_00.jpg
    c_0__2003280121_00.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 795
  • d_0__2003280123_00.jpg
    d_0__2003280123_00.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 731
  • fergie_419717c.jpg
    fergie_419717c.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 374
  • fergie_419717d.jpg
    fergie_419717d.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 287
that nice picture of father and daughter gets hug! like as family !

Sara Boyce

www.rexfeatures.com - Sarah, Duchess of York at the Embassy Club, London, Britain. July 2003.

www.rexfeatures.com - Sarah, Duchess of York at the Embassy Club, London, Britain. July 2003.

Attachments

• duchess_a.jpg
    duchess_a.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 373
  • duchess_b.jpg
    duchess_b.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 347
Sarah at Elton John's garden party (july 2003) :king:

with Dolce&Gabbana at Elton John's garden party

Sarah showing off her dance moves :clap:

some more pics of Sarah at Elton Johns garden party

Sarah at Elton john's party

arriving at the party

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 412
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 447
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 295
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 307
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 421
Hello! magazine article + pics

Precious moments captured on camera by Sarah , Duchess Of York appear in a new book

Sarah , Duchess of York partied until 4am with some of her closest friends after the launch of her latest book.

Moments is a collection of photographs the Duchess has taken on her travels around the world and includes tender and affectionate pictures of her family.

Lord and Lady Palumbo, Princess Chantal of Hanover, Sir John and Sarah Standing , jeweller Theo Fennell and his wife Louise all gathered at the Halcyon Gallery in Mayfair. They were joined by interior designer Kelly Hoppen, Tania Bryer and Judith Chalmers and her husband Neil Durden-Smith, who gave Sarah her first job when she left school.

The warmest welcome with kisses and hugs was reserved for her stepmother Susan Ferguson who , along with many guests, went on to join the Duchess for dinner at Claridge's and dancing at Annabel's nightclub until dawn.

"I didn't want to do the book because I thought it seem like bragging," the Duchess said. But she relented when told its publication could raise a great deal of money for Children In Crisis, the charity she founded ten years ago.

"This is my birthday present to the charity. There are some photos of my girls in the book, so this is their way of helping to give something back to other youngsters Children In Crisis will help.It could be a child in Afghanistan , Sierra Leone or just around the corner.

"I didn't choose the pictures; the publisher did. Now I'm so pleased with the book.It has me realise that when we don't argue with what we're given in life , it'll usually work out for the best." She added : "I'm incredibly embarrassed and humbled that my work is on these walls."

Sarah's interest in photography began on her marriage to the Duke of York when they were given a set of cameras as a wedding present.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 350
Sarah with her stepmother

Sarah at the launch of her new book

(take a look at her bag ;) )

The Duchess at the veuve clicquot gold cup semi final , Cowdray Park , West Sussex , July 17 2003

Veuve Clicquot gold cup semi final , Cowdray Park , West Sussex , july 17 2003

Sarah , Duchess of York , at Veuve Clicquot gold cup semi final , Cowdray Park , West Sussex , July 17 2003

her handbag ;)

Sarah , Duchess of York , at Veuve Clicquot gold cup semi final , Cowdray Park , West Sussex , July 17 2003

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 767
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 309
she looks her supply in purse ! she thinking !

Sara Boyce

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 548
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 618
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 589
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 596
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 540
  • s001.JPG
    s001.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 310
that disappointment over Sarah and her girls get embrassment pics! same late Princess Diana dislikes being media and tv crews because Princess Diana is real harassment over media and tv crews! the bodyguards get out and police pushed! when Diana tried thru! I would remind about Princess Diana I would love Diana lots!

Sara Boyce

poor people! Imagine having people taking pictures of you in bikini... but I must admit I like the photos

yeh it's pretty sad actually although i do like them too :blush:
I just hope there aren't gonna be articles with titles lik "fat , fatter , fattest" or so this year. that was the case 2 years ago when paparazzi took pics of Sarah and her girls and thought that was really really sad...

no she did not gave back her tiara.
at last months' Elton john garden party people asked why she wasn't her tiaria and she said that she was saving it for Beatrice and Eugenie , for a special occasion

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 547
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 550
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 500
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 477
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 520
I think the RF needs to Welcome Fergie Back...or at least treat her humanely... (an ounce of respect would be nice)! (She is one of the Royals I most admire)....it is senseless to carry a grudge for so looooooong! She is after all Trixie and Genie's Mum.... :heart:

Originally posted by Bianca@Aug 25th, 2003 - 11:36 pm
I think the RF needs to Welcome Fergie Back...or at least treat her humanely... (an ounce of respect would be nice)! (She is one of the Royals I most admire)....it is senseless to carry a grudge for so looooooong! She is after all Trixie and Genie's Mum.... :heart:
yeh they defenitely should treat her a bit better ! of course she made some mistakes in the past but hey don't we all make them?

Nice pictures Martine. Sarah looks really great! Thanks for posting! :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom