The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness

Firstly, Sarah doesn't need to act like a Duchess as she isn't one anymore. She also doesn't have to worry about visits with heads of state. You must have a finely honed instinct for intent to be able to interpret that Sarah's behavior at charity functions is strictly joking and jovial and not concern, or listening to their troubles or offering solutions. When she comes out of a club with a ripped dress, red eyes and white powder under her nose, I will agree that she needs to stop acting like a 21 year old party girl.

As for her relationship with her daughters, I fail time and again to see how they have been adversely affected by a close relationship with their mother. They seem happy, well adjusted young women. Beatrice has been a stable relationship with a nice young man for quite a while and they are both good students (more so than many other members of the RF). Until someone can show that they have been harmed by the attentions of a loving mother, I will continue to keep my opinion that she has managed to give them love, support, friendship and discipline as a mother.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I wonder how much of this Daily Mail stuff is along the same lines as their constant sniping about Camilla - to remind everyone about how far superior Diana was to anyone else who's ever been within spitting distance of the royal family.
Anybody famous is always going to have the Daily Mail nipping at their heels.
I'm sure the Daily Mail has sainted Diana after her death anyway.

You're very much entitled to your opinion, Kimebear.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

Sorry, but I disagree Kimebear. Sarah may not BE a Duchess but she certainly is still evoking the memories of how it once was. She totally plays off her relationship w the BRF time and again, which is okay if people are going to continue going along with it and the RF doesn't appear to mind. However, just because she's not hosting int'l diplomats doesn't mean she shouldn't behave in a manner more fitting for the mother of two princesses, esp. if she does continue to remind ppl of her link to the RF. Even I - as a non-celebrity - know that if you are a high-profile person coming out of a high-profile club in the middle of the night there is the chance papps might just be around to snap you. Technically, she did nothing wrong but she should be more aware and thus save herself some embarassment.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Sorry, but I disagree Kimebear. Sarah may not BE a Duchess but she certainly is still evoking the memories of how it once was. She totally plays off her relationship w the BRF time and again, which is okay if people are going to continue going along with it and the RF doesn't appear to mind. However, just because she's not hosting int'l diplomats doesn't mean she shouldn't behave in a manner more fitting for the mother of two princesses, esp. if she does continue to remind ppl of her link to the RF. Even I - as a non-celebrity - know that if you are a high-profile person coming out of a high-profile club in the middle of the night there is the chance papps might just be around to snap you. Technically, she did nothing wrong but she should be more aware and thus save herself some embarassment.
Of course you are free to disagree with me. I disagree with your statement that she plays off her relationship to the RF. Other than the fact that her daughters are members and that she continues to maintain a very close relationship with Andrew, she has no other contact with them. Nor does she claim to. What exactly is she doing to evoke the memories of how it once was? It is so easy to make these claims, but where is actual proof? Does she walk around in a tiara? Does she make people curtsy to her? She doesn't need to remind people of her link to the royal family (not that I have heard her do it) because as long as she is the mother of the queens granddaughters she IS linked to it. As far as her behavior as the mother of two princesses goes, lets remember the often colored behavior of past royals and leave it at that.

She certainly knows about papparazzi. Its all so silly really. She got into a taxi, closed her eyes (I doubt anyone could fall asleep that quickly) and was startled by the flash. End of story. If technically she did nothing wrong, what would she have to feel embarassed about? The hour? Should she have a curfew? I am really not trying to be argumentative, but it is one thing to dislike a person. Its another thing completely to make broad ranging disparaging comments about them for every move they make.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 16.4.2008

Sarah Ferguson leaving her hotel in Manhattan New York City, USA - 16.04.08

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Serene Highness

We can agree to disagree, Kimebear. My point about the embarassement was I'm sure those photos were embarassing to Sarah - they would be for me - and unfort. because of who she is there are the high possibilities she will be photographed in unpleasant and unflattering situations, probably for the rest of her life, and that she should be more careful so that she's not caught off guard like that.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Firstly, Sarah doesn't need to act like a Duchess as she isn't one anymore...
You took the words out of my mouth, especially regarding the Duchess's relationship with her daughters. They are not druggie club hoppers. They dress conservatively, almost too conservative for their age. Sometimes I think Sarah's detractors resent the fact that despite her many gaffes she got the parenting part right..in fact she has triumphed in that area of her life. I rememember reading a comment by the late Jacqueline Kennedy that it doesn't matter what one accomplishes in life, if you bungle the raising of your children you are basically a failure. Sarah and Andrew have definitely not bungled. They have stable healthy young women who are their pride and joy and rightfully so!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
You took the words out of my mouth, especially regarding the Duchess's relationship with her daughters. They are not druggie club hoppers. They dress conservatively, almost too conservative for their age.
Well, maybe if they lived in California. It could be okay for Europe as well, but isn't, for it's not shocking because of the way they "expose" something (oh, I love Victorian ideas!) but because of the bad, bad taste. IMHO, of course.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Well, maybe if they lived in California. It could be okay for Europe as well, but isn't, for it's not shocking because of the way they "expose" something (oh, I love Victorian ideas!) but because of the bad, bad taste. IMHO, of course.
I am sorry Jo...but I didn't understand? Are you saying the clothes are just ugly? ?Cause I happen to agree.

The rest of it passed me right on by.....
Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I am sorry Jo...but I didn't understand? Are you saying the clothes are just ugly? ?Cause I happen to agree.

The rest of it passed me right on by.....
Young girls are not allowed to wear ugly clothes. If they do, it's a sign that they make poor decisions in life and have been badly parented.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Sarah Ferguson leaving her hotel in Manhattan New York City, USA - 16.04.08

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
My Word--I would have to say that Sarah looks fantastic in that black dress with the white coat--great shoes, and the handbag--OH MY I WANT IT SO BAD. But, those stockings---well, as much as I hate them she obviously loves them. Just as we overlook Queen Beatrix's hairstyle I suppose we shall have to accept these horrid stockings.

Regarding the other comments and discussions---
I think that Bea and Eugenie are quite well behaved (well, except for the photo of Bea with some vomit on her mouth) and I've said it over and over--they are beautful girls. But, their fashion leaves them wide open for some ridicule. Maybe it isn't nice, but looking at those outfits can make one cringe, after all. I do think that maybe there is a little too much "buddy-buddy" but that's their parenting style, not mine. It's an interesting arrangement, and the girls have turned out well. But, I still think that buying a young girl such an expensive apartment is a little over the top.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Young girls are not allowed to wear ugly clothes. If they do, it's a sign that they make poor decisions in life and have been badly parented.

Aha! That's it....ugly clothes=bad parents! Now I understand. LOL!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

No, uglystockings=bad parent!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Nobility

Have to defend the Duchess...
I adore the Duchess and adore those stockings!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Firstly, Sarah doesn't need to act like a Duchess as she isn't one anymore.
Well, she is not HRH the Duchess of York but she is Sarah, Duchess of York (without the) as in the case of Mrs John Smith whose name is Mary becomes Mrs Mary Smith after her divorce from her husband Mr John Smith. Here, there are few people who are styled in this way.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's an article from Harper's Baazar. I don't know how old it is.
Duchess of York: Diana, the Queen & I - Sarah Ferguson - Bazaar.com
Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by servingsophie View Post
Have to defend the Duchess...
I adore the Duchess and adore those stockings!
Oh Honey, you can HAVE those stockings! You're probably a cute little thing with nice slim legs to wear them with!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Oh Honey, you can HAVE those stockings! You're probably a cute little thing with nice slim legs to wear them with!
I am kind of cute with gorgeous legs but I'd rather see the stockings on the Duchess!x
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator

I love the stockings and the Duchess! Sometimes she says or does things that make me cringe but I think Sarah is always looking acceptance.

Not to be totally off topic...but I think Beatrice and Eugenie are dressing like most young women their age..it might not be appropriate for their position or their body types...but they are young. Hopefully they will get it. I don't know of any fashion icon that started off as a fashion icon at the age of 16!

And yes, maybe Sarah doesn't always follow the proper boundaries with Beatrice and Eugenie. I wouldn't be seen at a club with my mother unless it was for family affair....but as a previous poster pointed out....they aren't doing drugs, they do well in school and except for a few pitfalls (fashion, and clubbing) they haven't turned out so badly.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Here's an article from Harper's Baazar. I don't know how old it is.
Duchess of York: Diana, the Queen & I - Sarah Ferguson - Bazaar.com
I remember this article--it was a good one; what I had forgotten is how GOOD looks in both photos--the suit is great, but that dress on the second page just looks fantastic on her. This is the Sarah we need to see more of.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Tags
fergie, sarah duchess of york