Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 11: February-July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They still refer to her as a member of TBRF.

Last edited:
Oh my, where do I possibly start?
First, she is no longer a member of the BRF--the lack of the HRH and the divorce from Andrew should be enough to clue the writer in
Second--why is she out at 3AM? No offense, but staying out that late is something for her daughters, not her.
Speaking of daughters--why does Beatrice need a ONE MILLION POUND apartment? Is it just me, or is that excessive? I'll bet that Zara never got that from her mother! I suppose Sarah is paying for it, because it didn't mention Andrew at all. HMMMMM.
And, her appearance. She looked nice in the one photo where she didn't have the sweater on--kinda girlish--the plain and simple looks suits her quite well. That second photo--well, I feel bad for her; she was asleep, yada yada yada--I may let that one go. But, she looks pretty awful.

Dislike Sarah all you want to, but invading her like that at 3:00am is just rude. If a photographer took a photo of me at that hour, I would be lucky to look that good. Many posters clearly state that she is no longer a member of the royal family. Absolutely true, which means she no longer answers to them or to anyone else for that matter. So what she is doing out anywhere at any hour is nobody's business. The same with the apt. for Beatrice. Its her money. She earned it. If she wants to buy her daughter an apt, so what? Considering the price of real estate in London, its probably a very small apartment! She is a single wealthy woman with two adult daughters. She's 48, still very young and if she wants to go out, its her choice.:bang:

Dislike Sarah all you want to, but invading her like that at 3:00am is just rude. If a photographer took a photo of me at that hour, I would be lucky to look that good. Many posters clearly state that she is no longer a member of the royal family. Absolutely true, which means she no longer answers to them or to anyone else for that matter. So what she is doing out anywhere at any hour is nobody's business. The same with the apt. for Beatrice. Its her money. She earned it. If she wants to buy her daughter an apt, so what? Considering the price of real estate in London, its probably a very small apartment! She is a single wealthy woman with two adult daughters. She's 48, still very young and if she wants to go out, its her choice.:bang:

I agree completely.

But I am very sad to see she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I don't dislike Sarah. I admire the way she has pulled herself up literally by her bootstraps and made a financial success of her life. I do dislike the way she constantly makes bad choices that leave her open for censure. Falling asleep in a luxury taxi at 3:00 am (without a seatbelt no less -- did she learn nothing from Diana's death?) looking as though she had just crawled out of bed! :eek:

Let's face it, she is a public figure and, as she constantly reminds us, the mother of two princesses. Despite the fact that it was rude and intrusive behavior on the part of the photographers, Sarah knows she will be photographed at all hours, day or night. Why on earth does she continue to feed the flames by behaving in ways no sensible almost 50 year old should? One should learn from past mistakes, a concept Sarah clearly doesn't comprehend.

Cat

I agree that she no longer answers to them or anyone else--but Sarah constantly puts herself out there as the Duchess of York and trades on her former status and also uses her daughter's status as well to further herself and constantly reminds people that her daughter's are the Princesses of York and she is their mother, etc... I think she still wants the perks of being part of the RF, but not the responsibilties.
As for Sarah being out at 3am--she can do whatever she wants, that is true, but then she shouldn't be upset when someone snaps her photo because she constantly puts herself out there using her Former Royal slash Celebrity status. She wants people to take photos--but not when its inconvenient for her. She can't have it both ways. And, frankly, she looked quite bad--she has a habit of staying out quite late and I think its catching up with her. It isn't healthy--and she's the poster for healty eating and lifestyle choices with her Weight Watchers position.
Additionally, regarding this apartment for Princess Bea--you're completely right--its her money, she can do what she wants with it. But, I've not seen Bea do anything to earn such an extravagance except go out at night and talk about maybe being a fashion designer or something. I don't think she needs such an expensive flat.

I'm confused. Resting in a private taxi? Is that some sort of ill behavior? I confess that I don't know anything about seatbelt laws in London. Where I live it is not illegal for an adult to sit in the back of a car without a seatbelt on. If it is illegal in London, then I agree she should have been wearing one, but other than that, I don't see what it was she was doing wrong. I also don't see how she used the royal family's name to have someone take her picture at 3:00am. You can't be "on" all the time. People just want to go after Sarah because they dislike her and every word that comes out of her mouth is manipulated into being a chant of "I used to be a member of the royal family". Frankly, I don't remember the last time I heard those words coming out of her mouth. She has talked about her daughters being princesses, but then, they ARE princesses, so.....what? Should she be censored for speaking the truth?

Why does Bea need to have done something to earn her apartment? Isn't going to college enough work to warrant a place to live? I own a real estate business. We rent apartments, many of them to college students. More than half of them had their parents pay for their apts. The only difference is that Bea's mother is wealthier than most.

Last edited:
I confess that I don't know anything about seatbelt laws in London. Where I live it is not illegal for an adult to sit in the back of a car without a seatbelt on. If it is illegal in London, then I agree she should have been wearing one, but other than that, I don't see what it was she was doing wrong.

My complaint about the lack of seatbelt has nothing to do with legality but stems from the fact that the consequences of her former sister-in-law's failure to wear one has been discussed in the media so very recently.

That was my point as well, which I thought I made clear in my post.

Cat

it's a shame that the press choose to print these kinds of pictures for the sole purpose of trying to make someone look bad. no one, no matter how well made up they are would look good when the flash is that close to you. it makes you look washed out. she has no make up on...big deal. it is the law, if i'm not mistaken, that if seat belts are available they must be worn by both passengers and the driver so she should have been wearing one.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Resting in a private taxi? Is that some sort of ill behavior? I confess that I don't know anything about seatbelt laws in London. Where I live it is not illegal for an adult to sit in the back of a car without a seatbelt on. If it is illegal in London, then I agree she should have been wearing one, but other than that, I don't see what it was she was doing wrong. I also don't see how she used the royal family's name to have someone take her picture at 3:00am. You can't be "on" all the time. People just want to go after Sarah because they dislike her and every word that comes out of her mouth is manipulated into being a chant of "I used to be a member of the royal family". Frankly, I don't remember the last time I heard those words coming out of her mouth. She has talked about her daughters being princesses, but then, they ARE princesses, so.....what? Should she be censored for speaking the truth?

Why does Bea need to have done something to earn her apartment? Isn't going to college enough work to warrant a place to live? I own a real estate business. We rent apartments, many of them to college students. More than half of them had their parents pay for their apts. The only difference is that Bea's mother is wealthier than most.

It is a completely different thing to rent an apartment for your child while they're in college--how much a month is that--anywhere from 400-1200 dollars? That is reasonable--these childre are in college, making the grade and getting a degree--but the parent is only paying rent. Frankly, I just think Bea is flighty and Sarah indulges her too much. But, it isn't my money just my opinion.
Now, I do not dislike Sarah---I do detest her fashion choices-but Sarah had a difficult time of it growing up and her marriage to Andrew was not as smooth as it could have been due to the media (it was hardly fair, having a sister-in-law like Diana). I also admire how she was able to turn herself into a successful business woman and how she was able to talk about weight issues and be honest about her struggles. In truth, I admire her for all that. But, I do think she capitalizes or has capitalized on her former status and her children's status to further her celebrity. Granted, she needed to do that after the divorce to get her finances together and I can't fault her for that. Here's a quandry-- I like her, but at the same time I think she's an attention seeker.

Well, that's the rub, isn't it? I share some of the same opinions with you. Would I buy my daughter a 1m pound apt? Sure, if I had that kind of disposable income. For Beatrice, its not like she is an average college student though. She has special needs (her security personnel, and lets not even get started on that topic) that probably warrant a certain kind of environment well above the 1200 dollar/month range. I like Sarah too. Not as much as some would think by my level of defense of her, but well enough to give her the credit she is due by actually working and not just sitting around living off Andrew's tiny divorce settlement. However, I thought she was a terrible member of the RF.

I agree--Bea does have special needs that have been debated; after all, does she really need as much security as she receives? But ,as long as she does have security she does need a nice place that can have the set up she requires. Incidentally, I checked out some London apartments in the one million pound range--they're quite nice, but not terribly big. I don't think 1500 square feet is all that much space for such a price. Perhaps Sarah is purchasing two apartments--one for security and one for Bea? That might make more sense. I'm sure Bea doesn't want her security detail under foot at all hours.
How much of a divorce settlement did she receive? I know the Queen paid some of her debts, and Andrew let her live in the maid's quarters (he went down a level in my opinion at that point). I will agree she ended up being a terrible member of the family--but the first couple years I rather enjoyed her.

Sarah looked absolutely terrified, lost and harassed in those photos. Shame on those photographers! That was a completely unwarranted intrusion of privacy.

After reading some of the comments beneath the article and on this thread, I can only feel sorry for Sarah. She's always going to be the brunt of criticism because her behaviour doesn't fit the social mold, like the girl who doesn't fit in at school. No wonder she watches her every move and is consumed with fear over what people think of her. I suspect people think that when Sarah doesn't look good, dresses badly, overspends, she doesn't care what people think of her and needs to be beaten over the head until she behaves. Sarah cares too much, it's obvious in everything she says and does. She just has no clue how to make everyone happy.

And when she does let down her guard, there's a photographer at her taxi window at 3 am ready to take an unflattering picture of her! :bang:

Some people seem to expect a great deal of Sarah, far too much IMO. Her situation is complex, and a bit unusual. She didn't work out as a member of the RF and she is technically not a member of it now, but her closest family members are grand-daughters of the Queen, and she is still great friends with their father, who is a son of the Queen. She is a buisiness woman and her life is lived in the real world and around the perimeter of Royal circles and occasionally she is invited inside. She will be a significant figure at a couple of Royal weddings that are likely to take place sometime in the next 10 years or so. Because of her daughters' situation there is an expectation that Sarah should meet certain standards of behaviour. Yet she is criticised for behaving Royal or doing or saying things that suggest in any way that she still thinks she is Royal, or that suggest she is taking advantage of her Royal connections. And if she behaves like the ordinary, private citizen that she is, and stays out late and falls asleep in a cab on the way home, she is criticised for that too. She just can't win.

And I think she looked pretty good for someone her age asleep in a cab at 3 am - a great deal better than I would - and I feel very sorry for her having her privacy invaded that way by one of those wretched cameramen.

I merely expect Sarah, or any other woman, to behave with a little dignity. The fact that Sarah has placed herself in the public domain and is the mother of two of the Queen's granddaughters sets a slightly higher standard. I don't expect Sarah to behave like a member of the Royal Family, she couldn't manage that when she was a member, bless her heart. Call me a prude, call me old fashioned, but as a female close to Sarah's age I couldn't imagine doing some of the things she does. She knows she is going to be photographed and that the photos that sell are going to be the most unfavorable depictions of her.

IMO she lacked maturity when she married Andrew and still suffers from that same lack of maturity today. If she wants to stay out of the tabloids she has to grow up. It's all very good and well to be your children's best friend, but you can do that and remain a mature adult. Ask my kids. I was a single parent most of their lives, we grew up together, but they always knew that while I was their best buddy and, to quote my son at age 17, "the coolest mom I know" -- I was still the mom.

I applaud Sarah for her business success, it's her personal life that is so often thrown in our faces that appears to need a great deal of work. However, since Sarah has yet to realize this at her age, then I hold out little hope she will.

And just so you know, I was one of Sarah's biggest supporters after her marriage to Andrew. I found her to be a breath of fresh air the royal family badly needed.

Cat

That's the point - her age. My children, not to mention my husband, would be mortified if I was photographed coming home at that time of the morning, in that state.:eek: The photographer was out of order but Sarah must bear some of the responsibility. She is fast becoming known as one of the oldest rockers in town!:whistling:

Don't Mick 'n Keef hold that title?
I think it was Robin Williams that said that if there were nuclear holocaust there would be nothing but cockroaches and Keith Richards left.

OMG! What an AWFUL pic! Day-am! I would have BOUGHT the camera from that guy were it me!
YIKES YIKES YIKES!! :eek:

Sarah Duchess of York obviously isn't the most photogenic person but that is just mean! The British paps seem to take a special pleasure in humiliating this woman....why?? No wonder she prefers her life in New York.

As for the other matter of Princess Beatrice's apartment, I say so what? As long as it is not taxpayer money it is nobody's business what the cost of her living space is.

They like going out with their daughters, have the same taste in clothes, and would rather have a good giggle with them than issue a ticking off.
But mothers who try to act like their child's best friend could be scarring them for life, experts warn.

A family psychologist tells why mum shouldn't be a girl's best friend | the Daily Mail

Dr Poulter made no remarks about the duchess and her daughters. But he suggested that some relationships like this have their roots in the mother's own childhood.
He said: "Today's best-friend parents had discipline problems with their own parents who they saw as being too strict. "They never resolved those problems and now they don't want to be so hard on their own children, and just want to be liked.

If he made no remarks about Sarah and her daughters then why did the Daily Mail include a picture of them? The article has nothing to do with them. I don't like Sarah's buddy-buddy parenting style, but it seems to me she doesn't even fit the group of parents this psychologist is describing. Her mother left her, she wasn't too strict!

Sarah's always been "buddy-buddy" with everybody. I don't think she knows how to put appropriate distance between her and others when it's needed. Probably that insecurity of needing to be liked surfacing.

Okay, really now. Sarah can't even be friendly without earning criticism?

Okay, really now. Sarah can't even be friendly without earning criticism?
Okay, the post said
"I don't think she knows how to put appropriate distance between her and others when it's needed."
There are times when you can be buddy-buddy and there are times when you cannot and should not. My point is that I feel Sarah cannot discern those times.

At what times is it not appropriate for someone to be buddy-buddy with people? What is your definition of buddy-buddy? My interpretation would be someone being friendly, jovial, companionable, social, etc. What are your negative interpretations?

Well you're not buddy-buddy with your children when you're disciplining them, or in some cases, parenting them. You're not buddy-buddy with people when you're at a charity fund raiser and you have to keep some decorum. You're not buddy-buddy with heads of state when they come visit.
My definition of buddy-buddy is to be buddy-buddy with my friends. We laugh, we joke, we're jovial. When I'm in the office selling insurance, it is inappropriate for me to be buddy-buddy with my clients. I can be concerned, I can listen to their troubles and offer solutions, but joking, being jovial, that's out of bounds. It conveys an image of unprofessional ism.
Sarah tends to over step that when she should step back and act like a Duchess and not a 21 year old party girl.
You know this. This is what has gotten her into trouble for years now. And she hasn't stopped.

I wonder how much of this Daily Mail stuff is along the same lines as their constant sniping about Camilla - to remind everyone about how far superior Diana was to anyone else who's ever been within spitting distance of the royal family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom