Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think The Queen fully understands the way the Dutch royals do things. I think she probably expected Queen Beatrix to step down at some point. I think she will happily send Charles & Camilla or Edward & Sophie over to the ceremonies in April.

You have to wonder thought what thoughts are going through her mind. Both Beatrix and Pope Benedict are stepping down and they are younger than she and her husband are.

I would imagine then that Elizabeth is thanking God for the strength and stamina that both her and Philip seem to share right now and will continue to do what they need to do. I do hope thought that the two of them decide to be a bit "selfish" and take time to enjoy life and each other.

Queen Elizabeth met with the new ambassador of the Republic of San Marino Federica Bigi and with the new Thai Ambassador Pasan Teparak during private audiences at Buckingham Palace today, February 19, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Queen Elizabeth has received the High Commissioner of the Bahamas Eldred Bethel and his wife during a private audience at Buckingham Palace on February 20, 2013:

** Pic **

Yesterday, February 21, Queen Elizabeth met with High Commissioner of Australia Mike Rann and his wife Sasha during a private audience at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic **

The Daily Telegraph is rather excited by the fact that HM had a cheap two bar electric radiator in the Audience Room when she met with the Australian High Commissioner. The heater is valued at £29.99 apparently.

The DT then got valuations of the other items in the room as a comparison. The Canaletto and Gainsborough paintings are worth at least £2 million and £5 million respectively, for example.

They try to ID the photos the Queen has, but I'm not convinced, particularly of the photos they claim are of George VI and Edward VIII. Can anyone recognise them?

A warm welcome from the Queen and her two-bar fire - Telegraph

I'm also not convinced that it's the Queen Mother standing with the "unknown male" (who is perhaps the Sultan of Brunei). The middle picture looks more like the late Duke of Kent to me.

ETA: The hairline on the man in the portrait on the right really doesn't look like George VI's at all to me. Prince Bernhard? (The woman looks like she could be Queen Juliana or the Queen Mother.)

Last edited:
Yes, the picture of The Queen Mother is her standing with The Sultan of Brunei.

March 2nd 2013:
The Queen
Colonel-in-Chief, will present St. David's Day Leeks to 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh at the Guildhall, Swansea.
Search future engagements

I'm also not convinced that it's the Queen Mother standing with the "unknown male" (who is perhaps the Sultan of Brunei). The middle picture looks more like the late Duke of Kent to me.

ETA: The hairline on the man in the portrait on the right really doesn't look like George VI's at all to me. Prince Bernhard? (The woman looks like she could be Queen Juliana or the Queen Mother.)

it is more likely to be Duke of Kent; would be surprised if it was the Duke of Windsor. And I think it is JUliana - thought so immediately

ETA: I think you are right and it is the Sultan of Brunei - well spotted!

Last edited:
Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal The #Queen today received Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby, who did homage upon his appointment - Buck Pal

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh today, February 27, officially opened the new Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel Road as well as the National Centre for Bowel Research and Surgical Innovation in Whitechapel, London.

** bbc: The Queen visits new Royal London Hospital **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Opens The New Royal London Hospital **

H.M. looked absolutely stunning today, and it looked like she and Prince Phillip brought sunshine to everyone they met!

@BBCPeterHunt:
Prince Philip, who’s 91, will fly to Canada in April for one engagement — to present new Colours in Toronto to the Royal Canadian Regiment.

:previous:

What was all that stuff about the Duke of Edinburgh scaling back?

You would think that if he's going to go all that way, they'd at least slot in a few other bits and pieces? Maybe there'll be a reception or dinner with the regiment and their families as well?

:previous:

What was all that stuff about the Duke of Edinburgh scaling back?

You would think that if he's going to go all that way, they'd at least slot in a few other bits and pieces? Maybe there'll be a reception or dinner with the regiment and their families as well?

I was thinking the same thing. Good grief! Flying all the way to Canada from the UK is hard on a lot of people let alone one that will approaching his 92nd birthday. I do imagine though that there will be some kind of dinner or reception going on as he's not going to fly all the way there, present the colors and hop the next plane back to the UK.

I really really do admire this guy's stamina!

Maybe that's the only 'official' engagement and he's going to meet up with some old friends or even old comrades? He usually fits in a Duke of Edinburgh's Award event when abroad, maybe he'll present a few gold awards?

I think the DoE is probably one of those people who, if they actually were to seriously slow down, would perhaps decline more quickly. You hear all the time about people who keep working past retirement age and then die not long after finally giving up work.

The DoE has seriously scaled back over the last decade. 10-15 years ago he regularly did over 600+ engagements a year and now is at about 300 - having halved his workload since his late 70s.

@RoyalReporter: Prince Philip has been on duty in Northern Ireland today, meeting 100 Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award recipients at Hillsborough Castle.

It's always so nice to see Investitures. :D I expect Jessica Ennis to get a Damehood at some point in the future. The Queen always looks so happy during these engagements.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Prince Philip has been on duty in Northern Ireland today, meeting 100 Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award recipients at Hillsborough Castle.

and a future event mentioned as well

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Not bad at almost 92. Prince Philip will fly to Toronto for 24 hours to present colours to 3rd Btn Royal Canadian Regiment in April.

Picture from PRince PHilips visit to NI on 28th February - everyone looking v happy!

19 hours ago
@BBCPeterHunt via Twitter

Take 2: Prince Philip at Hillsborough Castle with @DofE winners. (Pix: Aaron McCracken/Harrisons) http://t.co/swohG6iX9z

Last edited:
Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal Buckingham Palace says The Queen has cancelled her visit to Swansea tomorrow as she suffering from symptoms of gastroenteritis

Queen cancels Swansea visit after suffering from gastroenteritis:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-21635900

Rebecca English‏@RE_DailyMail
The Queen will remain at Windsor Castle to be assessed by doctors. Unusual for HM to cancel such high profile visit, so must be poorly

I hope Her Majesty get well soon.

Last edited:
Maybe HM ate some imported "beef" products:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom