Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Philip and the showgirl laid bare on stage: Duke's sensitive letters to star Pat Kirkwood to feature in controversial musical
Prince Philip’s recovery from his spell in hospital is not likely to be improved by news that a series of highly sensitive letters he wrote to a stage and screen star are to feature in a controversial new show. The letters, all signed Philip and sent from Balmoral and Sandringham on his personal notepaper, were written to the late Pat Kirkwood, whose magnificent legs were once described by the critic Kenneth Tynan as ‘the eighth wonder of the world’. His correspondence — and Miss Kirkwood’s outspoken replies — which discusses Philip’s views on the coverage of his private life by the media, are to feature in a new one-woman stage musical, Pat Kirkwood Is Angry, starring leading mezzo-soprano Jessica Walker.

So, all this time everyone has been quiet it seems. Are the Queen and Duke still on holiday? What was next on the shedule for them? I cant remember.

LadyGabrielle said:
So, all this time everyone has been quiet it seems. Are the Queen and Duke still on holiday? What was next on the shedule for them? I cant remember.

Buckingham Palace is open for tours until Oct 7th. The won't return to London til after then. Maybe Windsor Castle a little sooner?

Oh. Thank you Michelle. I knew I would get an answer. I wish I was there so I could tour the palace. Ive never been. Its my goal to get to see the palace and so much more before I kick the bucket! :)

According to the British Monarchy Website, the next engagements of HM accompanied by the Duke are on next Monday in Aberdeen, so in the areas of Scotland.

I thought it was a bit soon for them to have left Balmoral. Don't they usually stay there until October at least?

The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh usually do some official engagements around Balmoral before returning to London.

Starting September 24th-

The Queen accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the new Library at the University of Aberdeen, Bedford Road, Aberdeen.

Search future engagements

Those pictures are not from today. They were taken 12 years ago, on March 3, 2000, during their visit to Coventry. :)

Yes, I realized that after I posted them I forgot to remove the pictures from this thread. I'll go do that now.

Yes, I realized that after I posted them I forgot to remove the pictures from this thread. I'll go do that now.
The number of times I've done that... ;)
The dates on photo agencies websites can be quite confusing sometimes.

The number of times I've done that... ;)
The dates on photo agencies websites can be quite confusing sometimes.

Yes, I figured out by taking a closer look at her hair. It's totlally white now rather than the grey.

Well there is always a first, HM could have dyed her hair! Just kidding. Although I do wonder if she ever has or if she has thought about it. LOL.

I remember reading her hairdresser saying that the Queen actually want to change the style of her hair but everytime she comes down to doing it, she chicken out.

I do hope they've at least made his schedule weather-dependent. I understand wanting to be of use, but he'll do no one any favors catching sick again. If they can just have a "if weather is bad, ceremony will be moved inside the town hall" or whatever, he can do his thing without endangering his health. The pace won't kill him, but the freezing rain might.

Prince Philip will be going back to work, and perform 37 (possibly more) engagements in the next two months. According to the article, he's feeling much better, so I hope we don't hear about another hospitalizations any time soon.

Unstoppable Prince Philip goes back to work - Telegraph

Even though he's a young 91, he can put a lot of younger men to shame. I think honestly if the DoE wants to continue doing engagements and keeping active, it'd do him much better than being made to succumb to the possibility of getting sick again. As we've learned, he does have a team of doctors near at hand and I'm sure they'll keep an eagle eye on his health.

When you think of the DoE, even the Energizer Bunny is put to shame.

Even though he's a young 91, he can put a lot of younger men to shame. I think honestly if the DoE wants to continue doing engagements and keeping active, it'd do him much better than being made to succumb to the possibility of getting sick again. As we've learned, he does have a team of doctors near at hand and I'm sure they'll keep an eagle eye on his health.

When you think of the DoE, even the Energizer Bunny is put to shame.

I think Philip should do what makes him happy as well as healthy. I have a feeling he'd hate to stay cooped up inside, with an occasional walk, so going out and doing some work is probably something he's really looking forward to. Yes, the Energizer Bunny is a slow poke compared to the Duke. His Highness loves being busy and staying active, which is great for anyone of any age.

I admire the Duke of Edinburgh's commitment to his role in supporting the Queen and serving the people and there's no doubt he will continue to work hard as much as he can but I think it would do him some good to at least pass some of his official duties down to his grandsons. He's already passed part of his duties down to Prince Edward and Princess Anne but he still have a heavy amount of patronages, presidencies and organizations he's involved with.

He's going to continue to work hard and I think that's fine-if he's up to it-but Prince Philip is now 91 and I think it's time that he really take some of his workload and pass it to the younger generation. Although when he passes, the royals will sit down and decide what role of his they will take on.

I am so happy they are back to public work this week. I have missed them, though I doubt they have missed me. :)

I am so happy they are back to public work this week. I have missed them, though I doubt they have missed me. :)

I agree. It's always good to see Her Majesty & Duke of Edinburgh. I too miss them when they are on break. I like watching their videos on ITN Source News.

'Get that man out of one's land': Queen PERSONALLY intervened in case of hate preacher Abu Hamza because 'her country and its subjects were being denigrated'
The Queen directly intervened in the case of radical cleric Abu Hamza and asked the Home Secretary why he had not been arrested for his campaign of hate and violence in Britain. She was so 'upset' by the content of his hate sermons, she contacted the Home Secretary to ask 'why is he he still at large?' The Monarch's intervention was revealed today as the hook-handed criminal lost his final appeal against extradition to the United States. According to the BBC's veteran security correspondent Frank Gardiner, the Queen 'was upset that her country and its subjects were being denigrated by this man who was using this country as a platform for his very violent, hateful views’.
---
The Queen was pretty upset that there was no way to arrest him. She couldn’t understand - there was surely some law he had broken. Well in the end, sure enough, she was right. He was eventually convicted and jailed for seven years for soliciting murder and racial hatred. She spoke to the Home Secretary at the time and said my goodness, why is he still at large? He was conducting these radical activities and he called Britain a toilet, he was incredibly anti-British and yet he was sucking up money from this country for a long time and was a huge embarrassment to Muslims - who condemned him.'
Nice one, Your Majesty! :clap:
If a person chooses to live in a country, he takes the responsibility to respect that country, its laws, traditions and people. If he breaks that unwritten contract, if he tries to hurt that country or urges others to do that, then thanks for the stay and bye-bye.

Quite amazing though it took an elderly woman who has always tried to stay out of politics to ask a very simple question: why is he he still at large?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom