The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Royal Highness

That's how Royals pay for their privilege. It has been that way for centuries: if a traitor was influencial enough, he was taken back onto the Royal bosom even after having committed heineous crimes in medieval wars. Charles II even had to cope with people who did nothing to save his father from getting beheaded. Or Marie Louise of Austria - she was raised at a court under siege by Napoleon and grew up believing Napoleon was a monster. And then she learned she had to marry this monster and bear him children. One should call this view on Royal duties pragmatic...

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here's today's gettyimages gallery with nice large pics:

** gettyimages/zimbio: Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh Visit Northern Ireland - Day 2 **

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I have a query, who's the longest serving monarch in Europe? Not just currently as it was be Elizabeth. I think the answer to my question is Louis (insert numerals) or Victoria?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I have a query, who's the longest serving monarch in Europe? Not just currently as it was be Elizabeth. I think the answer to my question is Louis (insert numerals) or Victoria?
- The longest-reigning Sovereign ruler in European history was Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe (ruler of the Lordship of Lippe); he reigned for 81 years and 234 days.

- The longest-reigning Monarch in European history was Louis XIV of France; he reigned for 72 years and 110 day.

- The longest-reigning Sovereign Prince in European history is Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein; he reigned for 70 years and 91 days.

- The longest-reigning Emperor in European history is Frederic III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire; he reigned for 69 years and 70 days.
He is followed by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, who reigned for 67 years and 355 days.

- Queen Victoria, with her 63 years and 216 days, is the longest-reigning female Monarch in history (as well as the longest-reigning British one).
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass that record on 10 September 2015. If the Queen is still reigning by 26 May 2024, she will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning Monarch in European history.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The bravest thing she's ever done: Queen shakes hands with Martin McGuinness - the man who headed terror army that murdered her beloved cousin - and even manages a smile
Quote:
The Queen performed an astonishing act of forgiveness today in the name of peace when she shook hands with Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness - twice. Belfast was the scene for an extraordinary encounter between the British monarch and the former IRA commander - now Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister - which would have been unthinkable as little as ten years ago. Her Majesty somehow even found it within her to smile as she met the man who once headed the terror network responsible for killing Lord Mountbatten - the treasured cousin she knew as 'Uncle Dickie'. He was murdered by the IRA in 1979 along with his young grandson in a bomb blast during a boating trip off Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo. It was an atrocity that sent shockwaves through the Royal Family. Yet today, in a Jubilee year full of surprises, the Queen spent five minutes with Mr McGuinness behind closed doors in a room within the city's Lyric Theatre, and then the pair shook hands again publicly outside in full view of the world's cameras.
Very brave of Her Majesty and Prince Philip; however, I wish they weren't put into position when it was necessary.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Well the monarch is supposed to be the symbol of the unity of the nation so to meet a man who has been democratically elected by her people and who is the Deputy First Minister of part of her realm is the proper thing for her to do.
I am sure in her 60 years on the throne she has met, shaken hands with, hosted and danced with many individuals that she might, had she been a private citizen, chosen to avoid but that is not possible for a constitutional monarch.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Although it must have been difficult for her, HM certainly knows how to step up to the plate in her usual regal and inimitable style. Whatever feelings she and Prince Philip have about this meeting and gesture would be kept firmly suppressed in public. She just goes about her duty and does what needs to be done.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
- The longest-reigning Sovereign ruler in European history was Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe (ruler of the Lordship of Lippe); he reigned for 81 years and 234 days.

- The longest-reigning Monarch in European history was Louis XIV of France; he reigned for 72 years and 110 day.

- The longest-reigning Sovereign Prince in European history is Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein; he reigned for 70 years and 91 days.

- The longest-reigning Emperor in European history is Frederic III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire; he reigned for 69 years and 70 days.
He is followed by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, who reigned for 67 years and 355 days.

- Queen Victoria, with her 63 years and 216 days, is the longest-reigning female Monarch in history (as well as the longest-reigning British one).
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass that record on 10 September 2015. If the Queen is still reigning by 26 May 2024, she will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning Monarch in European history.
Thank you for this fantastic list! :) I'm reading a new book on the monarchy and the author lists Queen Elizabeth as the longest serving monarch, which is now severely incorrect.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The new Irish President and First Lady were also present today,I wonder if this was the first meeting of the Irish and British Heads of State since Mary McAleese left the office last year.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth meets Sinn Fin's Martin McGuinness - RT News
Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Well I have to give her credit. She set aside any negative feelings and just did it. I think she is an incredible woman and does what she needs to do even if she doesnt want to. I know that for me it would be a huge difficulty to not just slap the guy and spit in his face. I do not envy her position. She shook the mans hand with grace and dignity, what a woman. :)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have personal difficulties with the powers that be basically putting the Queen in the position of having no option but to shake the hand of an unrepentant terrorist. The Queen is, of course, very gracious and such a class act that she can put her duty ahead of her personal feelings and get on with it.

The best bit of the visit today, though, was when HM was at the new Titanic Belfast visitor centre. She was introduced to a 92 year old D-Day veteran, who gave her a perfectly executed salute. He then went on to tell the Queen that he remembers her from his war days because she changed the spark plugs on his army vehicle and he remembers that she was covered in grease from the engine. The Queen said that she was sure she was as that was a regular occurance when she was in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service. It was such a lovely moment, and the veteran was pleased as punch afterwards.

Here's a lovely video of HM and the DoE arriving at this afternoon's party at Stormont in an open topped Land Rover, much to the delight of the 20,000 strong crowd.

Video: Queen welcomed to Stormont by cheering crowds singing God Save the Queen - Telegraph
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, what a memory for that veteran to have. Imagine that HM was the mechanic for his vehicle; simply an incredible turn of events.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

What a wonderful crowd. It was nice to hear her supporters singing the anthem and cheering, it was touching. And what a treat for that gentleman who got the chance to meet and talk to her. Memories of long ago shared between the two. :)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Although it must have been difficult for her, HM certainly knows how to step up to the plate in her usual regal and inimitable style. Whatever feelings she and Prince Philip have about this meeting and gesture would be kept firmly suppressed in public. She just goes about her duty and does what needs to be done.
I couldn't have said it better . I agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Wow, what a memory for that veteran to have. Imagine that HM was the mechanic for his vehicle; simply an incredible turn of events.
It is indeed. Those types of stories always bring a smile to my face, so I can only imagine what Her Majesty and this gentleman were feeling.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The best bit of the visit today, though, was when HM was at the new Titanic Belfast visitor centre. She was introduced to a 92 year old D-Day veteran, who gave her a perfectly executed salute. He then went on to tell the Queen that he remembers her from his war days because she changed the spark plugs on his army vehicle and he remembers that she was covered in grease from the engine. The Queen said that she was sure she was as that was a regular occurance when she was in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service. It was such a lovely moment, and the veteran was pleased as punch afterwards.
What a wonderful story. Sounds like a wonderful moment for them both.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
What a great story!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Queen Elizabeth inspected soldiers from the Royal Regiment of Scotland, during the Ceremony Of The Keys
at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland on July 2, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife gallery **
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Has anyone seen this - I got it via Facebook -

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipp 60 years later - HERE
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post

Really cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post

Wonderful! In an ideal world ALL marriages would be this special!

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth