The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II: the most dutiful monarch in a thousand years - Telegraph

Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found this quote interesting:

Quote:
"In my opinion she should stop going to hospitals, with the danger of catching bugs, but she's unlikely to do that. The same goes for long foreign trips - I'm not sure they're a very good idea, now."
The problem here is that I'm not entirely sure HM would consider many of her trips to be foreign visits. Travelling to Canada, Australia, Jamaica, or any one of her other realms is not in all technicality a foreign visit, although undoubtably it's a long trip in itself. The question then becomes, in the modern world that we live in, is travelling to various Commonwealth Realms a part of her role, and what does it mean for the Commonwealth and the role of the monarchy within it if it's monarch is unable to make the flight to the various realms?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The question then becomes, in the modern world that we live in, is travelling to various Commonwealth Realms a part of her role, and what does it mean for the Commonwealth and the role of the monarchy within it if it's monarch is unable to make the flight to the various realms?
I'm sure if a Commonwealth Visit was arranged, and The Queen pulled out for health reasons the country in question would understand and probably be disappointed. However I doubt the visit would have that big and impact on people's feelings towards the BRF. An opinion is often expressed by a member on this forum which is quite understandable (I want mention the poster because I'm no 100% right on the wording). They say that when The Queen visits is not like when she visits somewhere in the UK, it's special for sure but it's nothing like "OMG The Queen is here". To them it's almost like it's just another foreigner visiting like every other head of state.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
The Queen told Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma: "They're not sure what's the matter with me, I'm afraid."
Perhaps she was just being discreet.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I found this quote interesting:

The problem here is that I'm not entirely sure HM would consider many of her trips to be foreign visits. Travelling to Canada, Australia, Jamaica, or any one of her other realms is not in all technicality a foreign visit, although undoubtably it's a long trip in itself. The question then becomes, in the modern world that we live in, is travelling to various Commonwealth Realms a part of her role, and what does it mean for the Commonwealth and the role of the monarchy within it if it's monarch is unable to make the flight to the various realms?
I can't speak for all Aussies but really having her visit makes no difference to how we operate as a nation but it does always raise the question of why she should still be our Head of State?

She has only been here 14 times or less than once every 4 years and we have managed quite well without her coming here and she has remained our Head of State.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I can't speak for all Aussies but really having her visit makes no difference to how we operate as a nation but it does always raise the question of why she should still be our Head of State?

She has only been here 14 times or less than once every 4 years and we have managed quite well without her coming here and she has remained our Head of State.
And you were the poster in question I mentioned. I just couldn't remember your words. Makes total sense to me. Why have a head of state a million miles away when you could have one in your capital?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I totally agree.

I think of our Governor-General, Ms Quentin Bryce, as our Head of State. She's the one who is actually here, doing things for the benefit of our country and no other country.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps she does know what is going on and just does not want to reveal anything until she has a definite answer. Well, even if she did know she probably would not say a word to anyone but her family. Who am I kidding. She is such a private person, there is no way anything would be leaked. I hope for her sake it is nothing terrible. It is a little frightening when you say that even your doctor does not know what is wrong with you.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359 View Post
It was picked up by the microphones at the reception, it was not leaked by the Commonwealth Secretary. So I guess this isn't a simple case of the stomach flu :(
I would want to hear the recording. We have been through this once this month with the false report of Catherine starting to say d...aughter. Then when we heard the recording, the interpretation was clearly errant.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm sure if a Commonwealth Visit was arranged, and The Queen pulled out for health reasons the country in question would understand and probably be disappointed. However I doubt the visit would have that big and impact on people's feelings towards the BRF. An opinion is often expressed by a member on this forum which is quite understandable (I want mention the poster because I'm no 100% right on the wording). They say that when The Queen visits is not like when she visits somewhere in the UK, it's special for sure but it's nothing like "OMG The Queen is here". To them it's almost like it's just another foreigner visiting like every other head of state.
Oh, I agree, if a visit was arranged and the Queen had to pull out for health reasons it would be understood. That wasn't the point that I was trying to make.

I do disagree that the response is always similar to that of simply a foreign head of state visiting when HM (or for that matter when other members of the BRF) visit various Commonwealth Realms. Some, very understandably, react that way, but others do not see the Queen as simply a foreign head of state. In Canada I would say that she's more recognizable as a head of state than the Governor General, and polls in recent years have shown a gradual decline in support for republicanism and an increase in support for the continuation of the monarchy (with HM and the Cambridges being the most popular Royals). Polls taken after visits from HM (in 2010) and the Cambridges (in 2011) showed an increase in support for the monarchy in Canada post-visit.

Visits to Australia or other more republican Commonwealth Realms may not increase the strength of the monarchy there, and I in no doubt believe that if they want to sever their ties with the monarchy they should. But visits to more monarchist Commonwealth Realms can help to ensure the continuation of that link. What's more is that referring to visits to any Commonwealth Realm, regardless of how much they do or do not support the continuation of the monarchy within them, is in all technicality not a foreign visit. From a legal standpoint, until they sever the connection, HM is as much the Queen of Australia as she is the Queen of Canada or the United Kingdom, and so travelling to them is not a foreign visit, especially from her perspective. Both HM and Prince Philip have expressed the view that realms of the Commonwealth are as much their home as the UK is. In 1982, when offered an honourary appointment to the Order of Canada Prince Philip argued that as the consort of the Queen he is a citizen of Canada.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Duke of Edinburgh attended a service for the 175th anniversary of the Soldier's and Airmen's Scripture Association at the Guards Chapel in London on March 14, 2013.

** gettyimages gallery **
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Aristocracy

There's been no update made by Buckingham Palace about the Queen's condition, however, all of the Queen's public engagements for the coming week have been removed from the British Monarchy's website. Her next public engagement is scheduled for March 28th.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359 View Post
There's been no update made by Buckingham Palace about the Queen's condition, however, all of the Queen's public engagements for the coming week have been removed from the British Monarchy's website. Her next public engagement is scheduled for March 28th.
I noticed Richard Palmer was talking about that:

The Court Circular records no engagements (eg audiences with diplomats) at Buckingham Palace for the Queen for the second day running.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I noticed Richard Palmer was talking about that:

The Court Circular records no engagements (eg audiences with diplomats) at Buckingham Palace for the Queen for the second day running.
Her last Court Circular mention was Wednesday which was the after they announced she'd cancelled the remaining engagements last week. I don't even know if The Queen had any engagements for this week coming.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Her last Court Circular mention was Wednesday which was the after they announced she'd cancelled the remaining engagements last week. I don't even know if The Queen had any engagements for this week coming.
When they announced the Queen was cancelling her public engagements last week, they stated she was going to continue to undertake all her engagements at the Palace. She did have two public appearances scheduled with Prince Philip on Wednesday and Friday but now it just lists the Duke.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal website is stating that the next engagement for the Queen is 28th March, which is the giving of the Maundy money.

However I remember seeing that she was going to attend the centenary of the Bakerloo line, and Hello magazine has said that the Duchess of Cambridge is going to attend that event with her. Maybe the DoC will go in her place.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Majesty

I notice the Court Circular hasn't recorded any audiences or other official duties for the Queen since Wednesday though.

Buckingham Palace told me on Sunday they expect the Queen to resume public duties this week.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I notice the Court Circular hasn't recorded any audiences or other official duties for the Queen since Wednesday though.

Buckingham Palace told me on Sunday they expect the Queen to resume public duties this week.
Yes the Queen hasn't appeared on the court circular since Wednesday. I'm assuming she's probably at Windsor recovering and doing her red boxes. I know the Queen is older, even though she doesn't act like it, but this does seem unusually long for a stomach problem. I hope to see the Queen out and about soon.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Majesty

During the State Visit's to the UK, The Duke of Edinburgh usually take the Head of State to inspect the guards during the official welcoming ceremony. I wonder if Camilla & Catherine will carry on this role when Charles & William become King? or is it just a thing Prince Philip do?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
During the State Visit's to the UK, The Duke of Edinburgh usually take the Head of State to inspect the guards during the official welcoming ceremony. I wonder if Camilla & Catherine will carry on this role when Charles & William become King? or is it just a thing Prince Philip do?
I wouldn't be surprised if Philip carries out this role because he's 1. A he and 2. Has a military past himself. The Queen, however, is female and her military positions are all either honourary or the result of her position as monarch. When Charles and William become king they'll likely fill this role themselves as they're both he's with military pasts.

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth