The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen cancels more engagements

The Queen will not attend engagements planned for Wednesday and Thursday as she is still recovering from her recent illness, Buckingham Palace has said.

BBC News - Queen cancels more engagements

Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Nobility

The Queen must cancel two other engagements, and hopes to resume her normal routine next week:

Her Majesty The Queen, 12 March 2013

Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

UK so called Royal reporters could be better.

Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
Prince Andrew will stand in for the Queen at a visit to Tech City tomorrow. Prince Philip will go to the Guards Chapel alone on Thurs

It was a joint engagement, so he was always going and the fact it was going to be a joint engagement was something I found interesting.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Serene Highness

It has been all over the news that perhaps the Queen is slightly more ill than we are being told. If she is not better by next week then there might be a more serious thing going on. I know that the news can sometimes make things seem worse than what they are but what if it is true? I believe from what I recall reading, the Queen has never been to hospital before. Maybe I am just being paranoid. I hope all is well and she fully recovers soon.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Most of the Uk papers for Wednesday 13th mention the cancelled public engagements and emphasis that work inside BP - Privy Council, awards, paperwork etc are still going ahead. The only one that really pushed it over the past few days is the Daily Express and here is their article for tomorrow. More reflective than some of the twitter comments I've seen by the same reporter.

Doctor's are baffled by Queen's illness | Royal | News | Daily Express

Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

When you combine her illness, the cancellations of engagements, and the fact that the Commonwealth just agrees that Charles will be it's next head is all unnerving. It's almost as though they're bracing themselves for HM to not recover.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
When you combine her illness, the cancellations of engagements, and the fact that the Commonwealth just agrees that Charles will be it's next head is all unnerving. It's almost as though they're bracing themselves for HM to not recover.
Have they? I didn't think any decision had been made - just the laying of some groundwork.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Have they? I didn't think any decision had been made - just the laying of some groundwork.
Well, the statement in the article Artemisia quoted certainly implies as much.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Majesty

Very interesting quote from The Queen- "They're not sure what's the matter with me."
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

IshQuote:
Originally Posted by cepe

Well, the statement in the article Artemisia quoted certainly implies as much. Quote:

I read the BBC article. It is being mooted and possibly promoted but it isnt a done deal, IMO. They have to vote, I think.

Dman
HMQ has the symptoms of gastroenteristis which is not the same thing as having it. So the doctors are trying to find the cause. But the Daily Express having been ramping it up - probably because they think the Palace is keeping info back.

Richard Palmer made a point of saying on twitter that QEQM had colon cancer in 1966 and "we didn't find out until 2004". Not knowing was obviously the thinkg that rankled.

I shouldn't think that the comment made by the Queen was a slip of the tongue - she doesn't do that. She knew it would get out.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

Why do I have a bad feeling that something more is going on than what the Palace is saying? I don't know how much I trust the Daily Express but if the Queen did say that her doctors aren't sure what's going on then I'm really afraid. What I've noticed is the Palace is no longer saying gastroenteritis but rather illness.

I have to say the Queen is one amazing person. She's obviously unwell but you'd never have known it by seeing her at the Commonwealth Reception last night or handing out the poetry award today. She remains so remarkable!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Majesty

She is a remarkable woman and put on a brave face, despite illness or other difficulties.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We all have heard that this norovirus that has been going around the US and the UK is a bad one. I've had it myself for the past week and I just thank my lucky stars that I can stay home and sleep 16 out of 24 hours. HM's case was worse as she was hospitalized. Now HM has a good 15 years on me and to me it makes sense not to go out in public. Why? The risk of picking up this self-same bug has got to be quite high. I know my system is shot right about now with immunity down and not being able to eat much and that would be the thing I'd fear the most going out to a public place. Picking up this bug again.

Perhaps HM is avoiding public places/drafty places so as not to pick up another nasty germ while her body is still recuperating from this past one.
It will soon be spring and warmer weather and time for these horrid bugs to head south and quit bothering us. I'm hoping that HM is just being sensible and taking precautions not to risk getting this bug again.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359 View Post
Why do I have a bad feeling that something more is going on than what the Palace is saying? I don't know how much I trust the Daily Express but if the Queen did say that her doctors aren't sure what's going on then I'm really afraid. What I've noticed is the Palace is no longer saying gastroenteritis but rather illness.
The Palace by the looks of it are being precautious. I imagine they don't know how long The Queen will need to rest so by sayig "illness" they don't put a timeline on things. Also if HM's doctors don't know what she's suffering from it could be a number of things at the same time.

The Queen is ill, she's taken time off from public engagements (please bear in mind she is attending a Privy Council meeting today that apparently could go on for hours) to recooperate. All is in order it seems.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Prince Andrew, apologising for the Queen's absence today at Tech City, said it was sensible not to risk her coming out "but she's not ill".

The Queen has been fighting "symptoms of gastroenteritis" for 13 days. The stomach bug normally clears within 24-72 hours.

The Queen told Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma: "They're not sure what's the matter with me, I'm afraid."
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Courtier

How can the Commonwealth Secretary reveal to the media what The Queen has told him in private..It is a great breach of trust..
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
How can the Commonwealth Secretary reveal to the media what The Queen has told him in private..It is a great breach of trust..
And Richard Palmers response to that question is;
@ChrissWarwick Hello Christopher. Yes, it was picked up by a television crew's microphones as she arrived at Marlborough House.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
It was picked up by the microphones at the reception, it was not leaked by the Commonwealth Secretary. So I guess this isn't a simple case of the stomach flu :(
Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Majesty

The comment was picked up on a TV microphone, Richard Palmer said. As she arrived at Marlborough House.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359 View Post
It was picked up by the microphones at the reception, it was not leaked by the Commonwealth Secretary. So I guess this isn't a simple case of the stomach flu :(
If Prince Andrew can tell the press that his mother "isn't ill" then I think that clarification enough, she's on the mend from whatever she was suffering.

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth