The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Majesty

I'm assuming The Queen would send Charles & Camilla if she couldn't attend. He would be there on her behalf.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remain convinced that the reason the Queen is still so busy is because she wants to be. I very much doubt that anyone, whether family or government ministers, will be able to tell her how much she should or should not be doing.

As Princess Elizabeth, she wasn't a full-time royal until about a year before her father died, even though he was in very poor health for several years beforehand. George VI didn't interrupt his daughter's happy family time with her husband and children in Malta when his health was obviously declining.

She will know more than anyone how important those early years of relative 'normality' were for her marriage and her own personal happiness.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Majesty

I have no doubt The Queen will continue to do as much as she can. Although, there will come a time will she most likely will want to slow down a bit for health reasons.
She herself has admitted that she can't do everything and be everywhere anymore. She also mentioned that she's getting "slower and older" in the documentary 'Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work.'

The Queen is about to turn 87 next month and The Duke of Edinburgh will be turning 92 this June. I think the younger royals should at least step up more. I'm hoping the Cambridge's will become fulltime royals by the end of this year. Harry has already said that he's now looking at doing more official duties too.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, is pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion in Toronto, on April 27, 2013:
His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh To Present New Regimental Colour To 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment | Ottawa Citizen

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has been the Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment since December 1953.
I found the location and time for anybody who's interested:

Events

Quote:
Presentation of Colours: 10:00 – 11:00 a.m., front of Legislative Assembly, Queen's Park
. Following a series of dynamic military displays on the front lawn, at 10 a.m. the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, will be presented with new Colours in front of the Ontario Legislature at Queen's Park.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I know HMQ and DoE are getting older - and people say the younger ones should "step up". But step up and do what? It will only work if (big if) these two decide to give up something and give it to others. And (also big) they want to do so.

They don't want to - the expression (sorry if this offends anyone) "dying in harness" - applies to these 2. They want to go on; they are programmed to go on. If they stop, then there is nothing for them. This is what keeps them going.

Its catch 22.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I know HMQ and DoE are getting older - and people say the younger ones should "step up". But step up and do what? It will only work if (big if) these two decide to give up something and give it to others. And (also big) they want to do so.

They don't want to - the expression (sorry if this offends anyone) "dying in harness" - applies to these 2. They want to go on; they are programmed to go on. If they stop, then there is nothing for them. This is what keeps them going.

Its catch 22.
I agree. I think the biggest thing the next generations can do is take the international travel off their plate. I think those long packed trips are just too much. But that is something all seem to have assumed and taken on. And it is something compatible with W&K and Harry's current part time royal status.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

good point, well made. overseas for younger royals with Charles and Camilla focussing on The Commonwealth.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
good point, well made. overseas for younger royals with Charles and Camilla focussing on The Commonwealth.

Totally agree. Prefect solution.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Majesty

Queen fights for gay rights: Monarch makes historic pledge on discrimination and hints that if Kate DOES have a girl, that means equal rights to the throne too:
Queen fights for gay rights: Monarch makes historic pledge on discrimination and hints that if Kate DOES have a girl that means equal rights to the throne | Mail Online
Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Tomorrow is Commonwealth Day and according to the Telegraph, the ceremony at MArlborough House will be televised.

Link to Telegraph

'The Queen’s leadership is special’ - Telegraph

Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Tomorrow is Commonwealth Day and according to the Telegraph, the ceremony at MArlborough House will be televised.

Link to Telegraph

Will it be televised on BBC News or Sky News?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
As Princess Elizabeth, she wasn't a full-time royal until about a year before her father died, even though he was in very poor health for several years beforehand. George VI didn't interrupt his daughter's happy family time with her husband and children in Malta when his health was obviously declining.
She went to Malta - yes - but it wasn't to play 'happy families' with the children as they were left in London with the King and Queen.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I have searched the BBC site and nothing specific is mentioned so I am assuming it will be on satellite during the day and shown on a news broadcast. Dont know about Sky.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Link to Telegraph

Does any Commonwealth country outside of the UK even acknowledge this day? As far as I am aware it is a meaningless day - certainly nothing happening here in Australia as far as I am aware - I suppose the politicians might do something but as far as the ordinary people go - totally meaningless. It doesn't even rate a mention in my diary which has today as Labour Day public holiday in Victoria, Adelaide Cup Day in SA and Eight Hour Day in Tasmania. In NSW it is an ordinary working day as we have our Labour Day in October and don't have a holiday for a horse race - probably because the Sydney Cup is over Easter.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Its getting news here because there is a Church Service at Westminister Abbey and the signing of the Commonwealth Charter, but this is unusual coverage.

Also it is HMQ's first working day after being unwell.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...70740554321920

The Queen's not well enough to attend the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey but will go to a reception at Marlborough House.

https://twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/sta...74317674872833

The Queen saw a doctor this morning and the decision was taken that it would be best if she didn't sit through an hour long church service.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Majesty

So The Queen is still ill.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
So The Queen is still ill.
I think anyone who has gone through a severe bout of flu or ailment finds out that even after the worse has passed, it leaves one's body exhausted and depleted. I'm glad that she's taking it a bit easy as far as getting back into her normal swing of things.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Majesty

True, I wish she has a full recovery. I hope to catch some coverage of the signing this afternoon.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Courtier

I would add that here in London today it is absolutely ARCTIC with the windchill making it feel like -7 ! Sitting in a freezing church on a day like today wouldn't be sensible for an octogenerian recovering from a bout of illness.

However, ever dutiful HMQ is signing this important document.

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth