The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I'm also not convinced that it's the Queen Mother standing with the "unknown male" (who is perhaps the Sultan of Brunei). The middle picture looks more like the late Duke of Kent to me.

ETA: The hairline on the man in the portrait on the right really doesn't look like George VI's at all to me. Prince Bernhard? (The woman looks like she could be Queen Juliana or the Queen Mother.)
it is more likely to be Duke of Kent; would be surprised if it was the Duke of Windsor. And I think it is JUliana - thought so immediately

ETA: I think you are right and it is the Sultan of Brunei - well spotted!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Majesty

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal The #Queen today received Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby, who did homage upon his appointment - Buck Pal

Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are some big pictures:

** zimbio gallery: Archbishop of Canterbury Pays 'Homage' to Queen Elizabeth II **
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh today, February 27, officially opened the new Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel Road as well as the National Centre for Bowel Research and Surgical Innovation in Whitechapel, London.

** bbc: The Queen visits new Royal London Hospital **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Opens The New Royal London Hospital **

** eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk: Queen and Prince Phillip pay visit to Whitechapel’s Royal London Hospital **
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh today, February 27, officially opened the new Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel Road as well as the National Centre for Bowel Research and Surgical Innovation in Whitechapel, London.

** bbc: The Queen visits new Royal London Hospital **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Opens The New Royal London Hospital **

H.M. looked absolutely stunning today, and it looked like she and Prince Phillip brought sunshine to everyone they met!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Majesty

@BBCPeterHunt:
Prince Philip, who’s 91, will fly to Canada in April for one engagement — to present new Colours in Toronto to the Royal Canadian Regiment.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

What was all that stuff about the Duke of Edinburgh scaling back?

You would think that if he's going to go all that way, they'd at least slot in a few other bits and pieces? Maybe there'll be a reception or dinner with the regiment and their families as well?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

What was all that stuff about the Duke of Edinburgh scaling back?

You would think that if he's going to go all that way, they'd at least slot in a few other bits and pieces? Maybe there'll be a reception or dinner with the regiment and their families as well?
I was thinking the same thing. Good grief! Flying all the way to Canada from the UK is hard on a lot of people let alone one that will approaching his 92nd birthday. I do imagine though that there will be some kind of dinner or reception going on as he's not going to fly all the way there, present the colors and hop the next plane back to the UK.

I really really do admire this guy's stamina!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe that's the only 'official' engagement and he's going to meet up with some old friends or even old comrades? He usually fits in a Duke of Edinburgh's Award event when abroad, maybe he'll present a few gold awards?

I think the DoE is probably one of those people who, if they actually were to seriously slow down, would perhaps decline more quickly. You hear all the time about people who keep working past retirement age and then die not long after finally giving up work.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Majesty

The DoE has seriously scaled back over the last decade. 10-15 years ago he regularly did over 600+ engagements a year and now is at about 300 - having halved his workload since his late 70s.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RoyalReporter: Prince Philip has been on duty in Northern Ireland today, meeting 100 Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award recipients at Hillsborough Castle.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Courtier

OHHHHH MMYYYY GAWDDDD.. The Janice Way
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Queen Elizabeth during an Investiture Ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, February 28, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** itv.com: Olympic heroes receive honours **

** dailymail: Ennis and other Olympic heroes descend on Buckingham Palace to receive honours **

** dailymail: Ennis, Rutherford, Adams and Rowsell lead the Olympic honours list as cycling boss Brailsford... **
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's always so nice to see Investitures. I expect Jessica Ennis to get a Damehood at some point in the future. The Queen always looks so happy during these engagements.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Prince Philip has been on duty in Northern Ireland today, meeting 100 Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award recipients at Hillsborough Castle.

and a future event mentioned as well

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Not bad at almost 92. Prince Philip will fly to Toronto for 24 hours to present colours to 3rd Btn Royal Canadian Regiment in April.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Majesty

3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, is pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion in Toronto, on April 27, 2013:
His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh To Present New Regimental Colour To 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment | Ottawa Citizen

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has been the Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment since December 1953.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Picture from PRince PHilips visit to NI on 28th February - everyone looking v happy!

19 hours ago
@BBCPeterHunt via Twitter

Take 2: Prince Philip at Hillsborough Castle with @DofE winners. (Pix: Aaron McCracken/Harrisons) http://t.co/swohG6iX9z

Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Majesty

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal Buckingham Palace says The Queen has cancelled her visit to Swansea tomorrow as she suffering from symptoms of gastroenteritis

Queen cancels Swansea visit after suffering from gastroenteritis:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-21635900

Rebecca English‏@RE_DailyMail
The Queen will remain at Windsor Castle to be assessed by doctors. Unusual for HM to cancel such high profile visit, so must be poorly

I hope Her Majesty get well soon.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC report on the cancellation

BBC News - Queen cancels Swansea visit after suffering from gastroenteritis

Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe HM ate some imported "beef" products

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth