The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She doesn't have to meet him, Sinn Fein only decided to let the meeting go ahead this morning.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's no way she can refuse to meet him. Sinn Fein have made themselves look like petulant children by refusing to even be in the same room as the Queen. It's the Queen who's never had the option here.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

But she has one now, it is by Sinn Fein's invitation that this handshake will go ahead. I see no problem in her refusing to shake hands with him. There are easier ways to solve problems than shaking hands with the devil.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, as joint Patron of Cooperation Ireland, the Queen was scheduled to attend this event with the President of the Republic of Ireland; it's Sinn Fein who have accepted the invitation.

The Queen would never refuse to shake his hand, he is unfortunately the Deputy First Minister and an MP. The Queen is too gracious and polite to risk offending people. I just hope HM remembers to wear her gloves that day so she doesn't actually have to press the flesh of an evil man.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
No, as joint Patron of Cooperation Ireland, the Queen was scheduled to attend this event with the President of the Republic of Ireland; it's Sinn Fein who have accepted the invitation.

The Queen would never refuse to shake his hand, he is unfortunately the Deputy First Minister and an MP. The Queen is too gracious and polite to risk offending people. I just hope HM remembers to wear her gloves that day so she doesn't actually have to press the flesh of an evil man.
To make sure I'm clear: Ireland elected a former terrorist member as a MP? Seriously?

How awful that she has to shake hands with him.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, and he's not the only one. He came quite close to being elected President of the Republic of Ireland last year. He was a member of the same group who murdered Earl Mountbatton and his 14 year old grandson, among others.

You can read more about him here:

Martin McGuinness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Aristocracy

How wonderful that this year, of all years, HM's horse won a race at the Derby. Loved the pictures of the DoE presenting the trophy to her.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Yes, and he's not the only one. He came quite close to being elected President of the Republic of Ireland last year. He was a member of the same group who murdered Earl Mountbatton and his 14 year old grandson, among others.

You can read more about him here:

Martin McGuinness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ugh. I'm speechless. I just don't understand that at all.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

Neither do I. This is absolutely terrible. Its unfortunate that she couldnt refuse. I think it is disrespectful for a killer to shake the hand of the Queen. Too bad she isnt able to have him beheaded along with others. Just my opinion. :)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

This may seem like splitting hairs but she is meeting McGuinness as Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland, not as a member of Sinn Fein per se. What I'm saying is that it is expected that she would meet the Deputy First Minister regardless of that person's politics. When she agreed to be joint Patron (with the President of the Irish Republic) of Co-operation Ireland, she must have known where it would lead.

The event in NI was always going to happen at part of the Jubilee, but Sinn Fein had to decide whether they would participate. they got very bad press when they refused to meet her on her state visit to the Republic last year.

She is visiting part of the Uk, meeting the local government and Martin McGuinness is part of that.

It needs to happen. We trade and have partnerships with former enemies; former "rebels" are now well respected international figures; and former allies are now enemies. Nothing stands still.

I am speaking as someone with close links with the British Army, knowing people who died. Let's move on.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

With respect, those of us who live with this issue each and every day will only be able to truly move on when people like McGuiness and his ilk are no longer in the picture. He may be Deputy First Minister, but he was also a member of a terrorist organisation than killed many civilians as well as police and soldiers. He continues to refuse to admit that that was wrong, nor that he regrets his part in it. My father still has shrapnel in his body, as well as numerous scars, as a result of the actions of him and his friends.

Of course the Queen will meet him in his role as Deputy First Minister. It's just unfortunate that the Queen has been put in the position of having to be polite to this man at all.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm truly sorry EIIR for what has happened. I don't agree with the man's politics but I don't want to live in or with the past.

I want peace for the future. As I'm sure you do too. Let's agree on that.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Courtier

While I have absolutely no respect for the past activities of Mr McGuiness and think that it is an absolute joke to say, as the Australian Broadcasting Corporation claims this morning, that "Mr [Gerry] Adams, alongside Mr McGuinness, helped end the years of sectarian violence and gave Catholics an equal voice in a power-sharing government with former Protestant foes", I think that such a meeting is inevitable as at the end of the day McGuinness is a democratically elected of the Northern Irish Government/Executive/whatever its called (I don't know the ins-and-outs of devolution). I certainly look forward to seeing their facial expressions when they shake hands as I'm guessing it will probably be difficult for the Queen.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm not British or Irish, but even I feel uneasy about this.

Fury as Martin McGuinness agrees to shake hands with Queen in historic first meeting between senior IRA figure and monarch
Quote:
Former IRA commander Martin McGuinness will shake hands with the Queen next week. Their meeting will mark a momentous and controversial step in the Northern Ireland peace process. Mr McGuinness, Northern Ireland’s Deputy First Minister, is to meet the monarch at a jubilee event in Belfast on Wednesday, it was announced yesterday by Sinn Fein – the political wing of the IRA. The handshake, which is due to take place behind closed doors, will be difficult for the Queen, who has lost members of her own family to republican violence.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I share your sentiments.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this is definitely an uncomfortable and very awkward scenario. The Queen is caught between a rock and a hard place, but she will rise above it all with her usual poise, dignity and aplomb as she always does. She's a true monarch in every sense of the word.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Does anyone know anything about this event "GCC Polo Cup"? This article states that Queen Elizabeth attended the event.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Does anyone know anything about this event "GCC Polo Cup"? This article states that Queen Elizabeth attended the event.
The Queen attended a polo event on 17th June and gave out the prizes. Not an official engagement. Link to pictures

Getty Images - Search: Guards Polo club#

Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower

Queen Elizabeth has attended The Cartier Queen's Cup Final at Guards Polo Club in Egham on June 17, 2012.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Cartier Queen's Cup Final **

** mirror.co.uk: The Queen and eye: Monarch spotted with extremely bloodshot eye... but is in "fine fettle" **
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
IceFlower posted some pictures on the day of the event, Chelsy Davy attended as well :)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Back on the water again!

It might be a smaller boat but at least this time it isn't raining! The Queen and Prince are back on the water after Jubilee celebrations laid Duke low three weeks ago | Mail Online

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth