Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen cancels more engagements

The Queen will not attend engagements planned for Wednesday and Thursday as she is still recovering from her recent illness, Buckingham Palace has said.

BBC News - Queen cancels more engagements

UK so called Royal reporters could be better.

Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
Prince Andrew will stand in for the Queen at a visit to Tech City tomorrow. Prince Philip will go to the Guards Chapel alone on Thurs

It was a joint engagement, so he was always going and the fact it was going to be a joint engagement was something I found interesting.

It has been all over the news that perhaps the Queen is slightly more ill than we are being told. If she is not better by next week then there might be a more serious thing going on. I know that the news can sometimes make things seem worse than what they are but what if it is true? I believe from what I recall reading, the Queen has never been to hospital before. Maybe I am just being paranoid. I hope all is well and she fully recovers soon.

Most of the Uk papers for Wednesday 13th mention the cancelled public engagements and emphasis that work inside BP - Privy Council, awards, paperwork etc are still going ahead. The only one that really pushed it over the past few days is the Daily Express and here is their article for tomorrow. More reflective than some of the twitter comments I've seen by the same reporter.

Doctor's are baffled by Queen's illness | Royal | News | Daily Express

When you combine her illness, the cancellations of engagements, and the fact that the Commonwealth just agrees that Charles will be it's next head is all unnerving. It's almost as though they're bracing themselves for HM to not recover.

When you combine her illness, the cancellations of engagements, and the fact that the Commonwealth just agrees that Charles will be it's next head is all unnerving. It's almost as though they're bracing themselves for HM to not recover.

Have they? I didn't think any decision had been made - just the laying of some groundwork.

Have they? I didn't think any decision had been made - just the laying of some groundwork.

Well, the statement in the article Artemisia quoted certainly implies as much.

Very interesting quote from The Queen- "They're not sure what's the matter with me."

IshQuote:
Originally Posted by cepe

Well, the statement in the article Artemisia quoted certainly implies as much. Quote:

I read the BBC article. It is being mooted and possibly promoted but it isnt a done deal, IMO. They have to vote, I think.

Dman
HMQ has the symptoms of gastroenteristis which is not the same thing as having it. So the doctors are trying to find the cause. But the Daily Express having been ramping it up - probably because they think the Palace is keeping info back.

Richard Palmer made a point of saying on twitter that QEQM had colon cancer in 1966 and "we didn't find out until 2004". Not knowing was obviously the thinkg that rankled.

I shouldn't think that the comment made by the Queen was a slip of the tongue - she doesn't do that. She knew it would get out.

Why do I have a bad feeling that something more is going on than what the Palace is saying? I don't know how much I trust the Daily Express but if the Queen did say that her doctors aren't sure what's going on then I'm really afraid. What I've noticed is the Palace is no longer saying gastroenteritis but rather illness.

I have to say the Queen is one amazing person. She's obviously unwell but you'd never have known it by seeing her at the Commonwealth Reception last night or handing out the poetry award today. She remains so remarkable!!!

Last edited:
She is a remarkable woman and put on a brave face, despite illness or other difficulties.

We all have heard that this norovirus that has been going around the US and the UK is a bad one. I've had it myself for the past week and I just thank my lucky stars that I can stay home and sleep 16 out of 24 hours. HM's case was worse as she was hospitalized. Now HM has a good 15 years on me and to me it makes sense not to go out in public. Why? The risk of picking up this self-same bug has got to be quite high. I know my system is shot right about now with immunity down and not being able to eat much and that would be the thing I'd fear the most going out to a public place. Picking up this bug again.

Perhaps HM is avoiding public places/drafty places so as not to pick up another nasty germ while her body is still recuperating from this past one.
It will soon be spring and warmer weather and time for these horrid bugs to head south and quit bothering us. I'm hoping that HM is just being sensible and taking precautions not to risk getting this bug again.

Why do I have a bad feeling that something more is going on than what the Palace is saying? I don't know how much I trust the Daily Express but if the Queen did say that her doctors aren't sure what's going on then I'm really afraid. What I've noticed is the Palace is no longer saying gastroenteritis but rather illness.

The Palace by the looks of it are being precautious. I imagine they don't know how long The Queen will need to rest so by sayig "illness" they don't put a timeline on things. Also if HM's doctors don't know what she's suffering from it could be a number of things at the same time.

The Queen is ill, she's taken time off from public engagements (please bear in mind she is attending a Privy Council meeting today that apparently could go on for hours) to recooperate. All is in order it seems.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Prince Andrew, apologising for the Queen's absence today at Tech City, said it was sensible not to risk her coming out "but she's not ill".

The Queen has been fighting "symptoms of gastroenteritis" for 13 days. The stomach bug normally clears within 24-72 hours.

The Queen told Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma: "They're not sure what's the matter with me, I'm afraid."

How can the Commonwealth Secretary reveal to the media what The Queen has told him in private..It is a great breach of trust..

How can the Commonwealth Secretary reveal to the media what The Queen has told him in private..It is a great breach of trust..

And Richard Palmers response to that question is;
@ChrissWarwick Hello Christopher. Yes, it was picked up by a television crew's microphones as she arrived at Marlborough House.

It was picked up by the microphones at the reception, it was not leaked by the Commonwealth Secretary. So I guess this isn't a simple case of the stomach flu :(

The comment was picked up on a TV microphone, Richard Palmer said. As she arrived at Marlborough House.

It was picked up by the microphones at the reception, it was not leaked by the Commonwealth Secretary. So I guess this isn't a simple case of the stomach flu :(

If Prince Andrew can tell the press that his mother "isn't ill" then I think that clarification enough, she's on the mend from whatever she was suffering.

I found this quote interesting:

"In my opinion she should stop going to hospitals, with the danger of catching bugs, but she's unlikely to do that. The same goes for long foreign trips - I'm not sure they're a very good idea, now."

The problem here is that I'm not entirely sure HM would consider many of her trips to be foreign visits. Travelling to Canada, Australia, Jamaica, or any one of her other realms is not in all technicality a foreign visit, although undoubtably it's a long trip in itself. The question then becomes, in the modern world that we live in, is travelling to various Commonwealth Realms a part of her role, and what does it mean for the Commonwealth and the role of the monarchy within it if it's monarch is unable to make the flight to the various realms?

The question then becomes, in the modern world that we live in, is travelling to various Commonwealth Realms a part of her role, and what does it mean for the Commonwealth and the role of the monarchy within it if it's monarch is unable to make the flight to the various realms?

I'm sure if a Commonwealth Visit was arranged, and The Queen pulled out for health reasons the country in question would understand and probably be disappointed. However I doubt the visit would have that big and impact on people's feelings towards the BRF. An opinion is often expressed by a member on this forum which is quite understandable (I want mention the poster because I'm no 100% right on the wording). They say that when The Queen visits is not like when she visits somewhere in the UK, it's special for sure but it's nothing like "OMG The Queen is here". To them it's almost like it's just another foreigner visiting like every other head of state.

The Queen told Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma: "They're not sure what's the matter with me, I'm afraid."

Perhaps she was just being discreet.

I found this quote interesting:

The problem here is that I'm not entirely sure HM would consider many of her trips to be foreign visits. Travelling to Canada, Australia, Jamaica, or any one of her other realms is not in all technicality a foreign visit, although undoubtably it's a long trip in itself. The question then becomes, in the modern world that we live in, is travelling to various Commonwealth Realms a part of her role, and what does it mean for the Commonwealth and the role of the monarchy within it if it's monarch is unable to make the flight to the various realms?

I can't speak for all Aussies but really having her visit makes no difference to how we operate as a nation but it does always raise the question of why she should still be our Head of State?

She has only been here 14 times or less than once every 4 years and we have managed quite well without her coming here and she has remained our Head of State.

I can't speak for all Aussies but really having her visit makes no difference to how we operate as a nation but it does always raise the question of why she should still be our Head of State?

She has only been here 14 times or less than once every 4 years and we have managed quite well without her coming here and she has remained our Head of State.

And you were the poster in question I mentioned. I just couldn't remember your words. Makes total sense to me. Why have a head of state a million miles away when you could have one in your capital?

I totally agree.

I think of our Governor-General, Ms Quentin Bryce, as our Head of State. She's the one who is actually here, doing things for the benefit of our country and no other country.

Perhaps she does know what is going on and just does not want to reveal anything until she has a definite answer. Well, even if she did know she probably would not say a word to anyone but her family. Who am I kidding. She is such a private person, there is no way anything would be leaked. I hope for her sake it is nothing terrible. It is a little frightening when you say that even your doctor does not know what is wrong with you.

I would want to hear the recording. We have been through this once this month with the false report of Catherine starting to say d...aughter. Then when we heard the recording, the interpretation was clearly errant.

I'm sure if a Commonwealth Visit was arranged, and The Queen pulled out for health reasons the country in question would understand and probably be disappointed. However I doubt the visit would have that big and impact on people's feelings towards the BRF. An opinion is often expressed by a member on this forum which is quite understandable (I want mention the poster because I'm no 100% right on the wording). They say that when The Queen visits is not like when she visits somewhere in the UK, it's special for sure but it's nothing like "OMG The Queen is here". To them it's almost like it's just another foreigner visiting like every other head of state.

Oh, I agree, if a visit was arranged and the Queen had to pull out for health reasons it would be understood. That wasn't the point that I was trying to make.

I do disagree that the response is always similar to that of simply a foreign head of state visiting when HM (or for that matter when other members of the BRF) visit various Commonwealth Realms. Some, very understandably, react that way, but others do not see the Queen as simply a foreign head of state. In Canada I would say that she's more recognizable as a head of state than the Governor General, and polls in recent years have shown a gradual decline in support for republicanism and an increase in support for the continuation of the monarchy (with HM and the Cambridges being the most popular Royals). Polls taken after visits from HM (in 2010) and the Cambridges (in 2011) showed an increase in support for the monarchy in Canada post-visit.

Visits to Australia or other more republican Commonwealth Realms may not increase the strength of the monarchy there, and I in no doubt believe that if they want to sever their ties with the monarchy they should. But visits to more monarchist Commonwealth Realms can help to ensure the continuation of that link. What's more is that referring to visits to any Commonwealth Realm, regardless of how much they do or do not support the continuation of the monarchy within them, is in all technicality not a foreign visit. From a legal standpoint, until they sever the connection, HM is as much the Queen of Australia as she is the Queen of Canada or the United Kingdom, and so travelling to them is not a foreign visit, especially from her perspective. Both HM and Prince Philip have expressed the view that realms of the Commonwealth are as much their home as the UK is. In 1982, when offered an honourary appointment to the Order of Canada Prince Philip argued that as the consort of the Queen he is a citizen of Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom