The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Courtier

My views exactly, Alpa. Just what I was thinking.

Did you know that Her Majesty has her 'copy' of the Dargie in her room? Sir William painted two as he wasn't sure that the one sent back to Australia would arrive unscathed. It did, and she kept one, though she doesn't know which one. She rarely comments on her portraits but it's obvious that the Dargie is special to her. It was the official portrait used in every school, government building, etc in Australia for decades.

In this portrait of the Queen, her Majesty's countenance is truly wonderful: very moving and wistful, in fact. She hasn't seen it yet, but the Palace representatives who have think it simply beautiful and are very pleased.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Queen Elizabeth has been in Ballater, Aberdeenshire, to unveil a plaque marking a special Diamond Jubilee cairn near her Balmoral Estate on September 27, 2012.

I LOVE this cairn. I love that the people of Ballater thought of it and made it real. 60 Scots "diamonds in the rough" is the perfect thing for 60 magnificent years. Yes, I am gushing!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
91 years young and still putting duty first. HRH is amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not only is he amazing but I think he's also looking much younger than his 91 years young. I think Scotland agreed with him this year. He looks fit and well rested.
I couldn't agree more with both of you regarding His Highness. He looks well-rested, and ready to roll, if you will . I'm so happy he has had a chance to really recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
New portrait of the Queen,by Ralph Heimans, unveiled today at Australia's National Portrait Gallery in Canberra
Twitter / BBCPeterHunt: New portrait of the Queen,by ...
That is one magnificent portrait. Thank you for sharing. Her Majesty looks very much like a Queen that she is.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Today, October 6, the Duke of Edinburgh has met disabled servicemen upon starting a sponsored bicycle ride from Sandringham to Greenwich.

** Pic ** telegraph.co.uk: Duke of Edinburgh pays tribute to disabled servicemen ahead of charity cycle **
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen did not attend Crathie Church this morning as she's suffering from back pain. It's not often HM doesn't attend church on a Sunday. Apparently she had guests at Balmoral later this afternoon and didn't cancel that so hopefully it's not too bad. She and the DoE will leave Scotland for Buckingham Palace tomorrow.

BBC News - Queen misses church at Crathie on Deeside
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, that's too bad. It's amazing she doesn't complain more and miss more appearances. She's a trooper, so it must be pretty bad.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Majesty

I'm sorry to hear that. The Queen tries her best to not miss Church on Sunday, wherever she is in the country and world.

I hope her back will be okay and I look forward to seeing her and his Royal Highness back out and about in London.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sometimes I get the impression that the Queen's a little bit hunched over. I wonder if maybe that's what's giving her the pain?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Sometimes I get the impression that the Queen's a little bit hunched over. I wonder if maybe that's what's giving her the pain?
She is a bit hunched over now. The Queen still rides, feed her corgis, stand for long periods of time, bend over to talk and accept flowers and cards. A lot of that could put some wear and tear on the back.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The Queen did not attend Crathie Church this morning as she's suffering from back pain. It's not often HM doesn't attend church on a Sunday. Apparently she had guests at Balmoral later this afternoon and didn't cancel that so hopefully it's not too bad. She and the DoE will leave Scotland for Buckingham Palace tomorrow.

BBC News - Queen misses church at Crathie on Deeside
No pictures from church. Hope HM is resting that back!

I got a little bored what with the lack of church pictures so I used Google to map the Balmoral Castle environs. I found the Crathie church, which is lovely and not nearly as tiny as I thought. I also discovered a nine hole golf course on the grounds of Balmoral Castle. It's used by the occasional golfing royal as well as staff and now may be let for corporate outings. It is amazing what you can see on satellite photos!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Queen has an engagement on Tuesday, so hopefully we'll see her in good health then, unveiling the Windsor and Eton Society Diamond Jubilee Tribute.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Majesty

I hope Her Majesty will feel better. Back pain can leave one in agony. My step-father had to have surgery, because the pain got to be too much. Crossing my fingers that the Queen won't have to go that route.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

I hope she feels better. I know back pain can be quite terrible. Now that she is older it gets harder I think for her to keep up the pace. As time goes on she will probably be doing much less. Its sometimes hard for me just to get up in the morning, at which time I have to take some medication just to move around. Yuk!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Back pain can be very bad and the cause will determine if anything can be done. Mine is degenerative and the Doctors say nothing can be done. We can try shots in the back for pain, but that doesn"t sound like fun to me. I hope HM can be helped.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Queen Elizabeth was pitured at Aberdeen airport in Scotland yesterday, October 8, on her way back to London:

** zimbio gallery: The Queen jets out of Aberdeen airport in Scotland to head back to London **
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Queen Elizabeth was pitured at Aberdeen airport in Scotland yesterday, October 8, on her way back to London:

** zimbio gallery: The Queen jets out of Aberdeen airport in Scotland to head back to London **
Thanks for posting this. The snaps of the corgis made me smile. I assume (?) this is a jet that belongs to the firm. I was also surprised that the party appeared so small.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen unveiled her Diamond Jubilee tribute in Windsor today:

This pic is a hoot! It might giver HM's hat designers some ideas. http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...FN71A6Y0Rl.jpg

Home - ITNSource News

I was really curious to see how this student design turned out.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...ssetType=image

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/iuHk-...n+Elizabeth+II
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

This pic is a hoot! It might giver HM's hat designers some ideas. http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Q...FN71A6Y0Rl.jpg
Now that hat is something that reminds me of something out of Alice in Wonderland or a wedding cake but on HM it really works and accentuates her face so nicely. Love how the lines of the dress and the hat compliment each other and its a gorgeous color of purple too.

A total win.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now that hat is something that reminds me of something out of Alice in Wonderland or a wedding cake but on HM it really works and accentuates her face so nicely. Love how the lines of the dress and the hat compliment each other and its a gorgeous color of purple too.

A total win.
Osipi - I agree totally - pin-tucks make a lovely understated design element and here they are used perfectly!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

First off- I think H.M. looks lovely, the outfit, the hat she is wearing, and of course, that lovely smile.
I don't think her designers would dare to put her in a hat designed like that sculpture, but I am not so sure about Beatrice& Eugenie and their desingers, need I remind you of the weddings of the Cambridges, and Peter Phillips?
H.M. may want to hide that pic....

Tags
2012, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, philip, prince philip, queen elizabeth