Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:ROFLMAO:That's about as enlightening (and insulting) if I said all British are stuck up snobs with their lord-this-lady-that-stuff and emotional cripple with their stiff-upper-lip. :bang:
Perfectly true except for the emotional cripple section. We have emotions, but prefer to keep them private and would be exceedingly happy if others did as well!:D

It may be a widely held view, but as an American who works in the education system, I can tell you that it's an untrue and oversimplified one, and one that unfairly paints an entire country of incredibly diverse people as uninterested and uninformed.

No kidding. The monarchy is such a huge tourist draw for the UK -- they need to keep up these palaces if they want them to continue to be destination places for people who want to experience living history.

Also, it'd be a huge shame if HM and The Duke had to start carrying one of those plastic see-through umbrellas indoors at all times! ;)

All I said was that it is a widely held view (note I have not voiced an opinion myself) that the knowledge of a lot of Americans, of the world outside the USA, is limited. I clarified at the outset that it was a generalisation, and there is no doubt that in a large and diverse country, the generalisation would be unfair to some - as would be the case for most generalisations! :)

I'm not accusing you of believing it, muriel, though using it as a defense for those who presume Americans aren't as informed or interested as those from a Eurocentric viewpoint is problematic at best, especially when you say you know that it's a generalization. If we all know it's an inaccurate generalization, why keep espousing it?

I'm just going to drop it, though, as we're off topic. Perhaps we should turn back to HM and The Duke?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree here, Ascot is very much a social event. Many who attend, especially those with an invite to the Royal enclosure, are not there primarily for the racing.:flowers:

I didn't mean to imply that Ascot isn't a social event, very much the opposite, just that The Queen is there for the racing and isn't there to meet and greet the general guests in the Royal Enclosure.

I'm certain though that most of the enclosure guests are there to be very social :innocent:

All I said was that it is a widely held view (note I have not voiced an opinion myself) that the knowledge of a lot of Americans, of the world outside the USA, is limited. I clarified at the outset that it was a generalisation, and there is no doubt that in a large and diverse country, the generalisation would be unfair to some - as would be the case for most generalisations! :)
Muriel, I would say its not unfair to some but to many, including myself! Such generalizations only denote the ignorance of many europeans who unfortunately hold these views of americans without knowing much about the subject but the stereotypes that continue to be perpetuated. Yes our education system has room for improvement but the view that many europeans hold of americans as stupid is a gross exaggeration. After all we do have some of the best universities in the world in this country.
I actually can say that american college students, for example, can sometimes be more knowledgeable that english students because college students in this country are required to take a broad range of courses in different areas whereas in England they specialize in their A-levels subjects and when they go to university only study one subject. I actually found myself knowing more about english history than many english students, i met while studying in england for a semester, because they were specializing in one subject, like science, for example. Thats not to say that our system is better or to criticize the english system at all, in fact I believe both systems have their pros and cons. But it illustrates my point about how this generalisation about americans is unfair. I only point out the english because that is the system i know a bit more as I studied there for a bit.

Anyway back on the subject of the queen and DOE I do believe that the queen should open BP more often to the public during the year, when she is not there like in december and january and perhaps even some weekends when she is away at windsor. Its a demand that is to be expected if she is asking for all this money to fix the palace, besides its a good way for her to raise money. Then again maybe the queen has good reasons for not wanting to open the place that is her home for most days of the year more often.

Perfectly true except for the emotional cripple section. We have emotions, but prefer to keep them private and would be exceedingly happy if others did as well!:D

One couldn't agree more, I think that The Queen is the perfect example of this, a tear a a funeral is fine provided it stops at a tear and isn't a full bawling match.

Decorum at all times:angel:

I'm not accusing you of believing it, muriel, though using it as a defense for those who presume Americans aren't as informed or interested as those from a Eurocentric viewpoint is problematic at best, especially when you say you know that it's a generalization. If we all know it's an inaccurate generalization, why keep espousing it?

I'm just going to drop it, though, as we're off topic. Perhaps we should t`urn back to HM and The Duke?

I am not sure how you could say that I was "using it as a defense for those who presume Americans aren't as informed or interested".... all I have said is that a) it is a commonly held view (and not one I subscribe to) and b) generalisations, by definition, can be unfair. That said, I can see that it is probably best to drop this topic now.

How lovely to see her so happy! Thanks for posting these super links.

what lovely pictures, The Queen always looks so relaxed and at home in Norfolk and up round Balmoral.

I also think its a lovely outfit and a lovelyn shade of pink

Thanks for those very nice pics from today, giov and Lillibetforever!

The Queen looked simply perfect, she obviously enjoyed her
engagement and the dress together with the wonderful flowers
already give you a little spring feeling :flowers:

That first picture is a beautiful shot of Her Majesty!:)

GillW,
Any information on that beautiful brooch? :flowers:

I'm afraid it's another of those without a known history. I have (so far) about a dozen sightings, my earliest being from 1989, but I know nothing of it's history.....I wish I did!

Queen Elizabeth II visits Flitcham Primary School on January 27, 2009 in Norfolk, England.
Lovely pictures. HM looked lovely, the colours really worked for her.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were the victims of an alleged assassination attempt on an official tour of Australia almost 40 years ago, it has emerged.

Queen and Prince Philip were 'victims' of Australian assassination attempt - Telegraph

A portrait of the Queen has sparked an acrimonious row at a council after it was the moved and hung a wall behind most of the councillors and replaced with modern art.

Row as Queen's portrait replaced with modern art - Telegraph

Each of the five episodes, which will be broadcast later this year, will focus on a different period in the Queen's life. The programmes will include documentary elements, featuring "testimony from royal insiders", alongside dramatised sequences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...Queen-docu-drama-to-be-made-by-Channel-4.html

One hopes Philip is better soon. At his age, even minor injuries can take a long time to heal.

I am sure he'll be up and about in no time. It doesn't seem like anything can keep him down for too long.

I had to chuckle at Prince Andrew's line about not hitting the corgies when playing in his peddle car. He said, absolutely deadpan, "One had to avoid them. One couldn't run them down.":lol: It's nice to see video of HM enjoying her dogs, but I feel a bit sad at seeing her slouched over with age.:ermm:

Pics from Mediumphoto
Queen Elizabeth II during a walkabout after attending the morning church service at West Newton Church West Newton Norfolk, 01/02/2009.
Pic
Pic
Pic

Gallery Mediumphoto

Here are some more pics from today, Prince Philip was absent.

But what I really liked were that wonderful dress and the flowers
she got, perfection as always :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Does anyone know if he was absent due to his back injury?
I love to see these pics of the queen but at the same time its a bit saddening to me in the sense that it is obvious that she is getting on in years, as is obviously natural, but sad to me nonetheless. But goodness I wish her and prince philip many many more years of good health!

Does anyone know if he was absent due to his back injury?
Yes he was. :flowers:

The Duke was absent from West Newton Church, King's Lynn, Norfolk, where the Queen attended morning service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...lip-misses-engagement-due-to-back-injury.html

Fears are growing for the health of Prince Philip after he missed both going to church and the last shooting party of winter at Sandringham.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ince-Philips-health-misses-public-events.html

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunate that.
The kids looked happy to see their queen hehe (Never thought i'd say that)

I love seeing the queen on engagements like this, makes me proud of my country :D
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom