Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this situation is a vivid example of openness that has gone wrong. I am sure that British diplomats will do their best mitigating the whole situation. Moreover, I am sure that rulers of the Gulf countries show understanding for Her Majesty's position. I can't help, but wonder how the mass media learnt about the cancellation in question and why it created a storm in a tea cup.

In light of all the articles and comments, the Buckingham Palace statement looks somewhat lame. I hope that it will take steps to avoid such PR faux pas in the future. ... or perhaps ... this is the way things are done in the UK nowadays.

Al_bina, first of all, thanks for the information provided earlier on. I agree that British diplomats will have done their very best to resolve the situation ... however, one item struck me as insulting. Have you noted in the Times Online article who was mentioned as ruler of Abu Dhabi :

The fact that it did not name the destinations may mitigate the embarrassment felt by the rulers of Dubai - Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, a major racehorse owner who has met the Queen on several occasions - and Abu Dhabi - Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan - but now there will be considerable loss of face.

I always thought that Abu Dhabi was ruled by Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan ... but maybe I am wrong and the Times knows better :eek:

BTW the TimesOnline also mentioned that two weeks ago the Palace has sent out e-mails to royal correspondents informing them of the dates of the tour, March 23-27, and asking which organisations would be likely to send journalists to cover it. Of course the Palace had to undo this, too, so this might be the reason how they knew about it.

And last ... the Sunday Express had an article on the same topic, too. Voilà:

Sunday Express | UK News :: Just how ill is Philip? - state visit off as he is told to rest

Prince Philip tries to quash health fears with first public outing in two weeks

I very much doubt that Prince Philip would attend a public outing to "quash health fears" for the sake of the media or the public. IMO it is simply that he is feeling abit better and decided to go out with no motive other than to carry on his own business as usual. I am very annoyed at the media because the only coverage of Prince Philip these days seems to be when he is ill. The British media are not interested in printing or broadcasting proper royal events/news anymore: their reporters are simply waiting around in their rusty cages like a pack of aged, dusty vultures hoping for the next royal death / divorce / scandal to come round quicker than it is so that they can over scandalise the situation and further undermine the importance of monarchy in this country.:dizzy:

BTW the TimesOnline also mentioned that two weeks ago the Palace has sent out e-mails to royal correspondents informing them of the dates of the tour, March 23-27, and asking which organisations would be likely to send journalists to cover it. Of course the Palace had to undo this, too, so this might be the reason how they knew about it.
Or like naming the wrong ruler, The Times also got this wrong!
Queen cancels state visit to Dubai and Abu Dhabi - Times Online
Confusion as Queen and Duke of Edinburgh pull out of state visit - Times Online

I would agree that some media outlets such as Daily Mail or the Times may give rein to their imagination. At the same time, I wonder what prompted very conservative Daily Telegraph to report this inaccurate story. Given this story, the IHA's iron grip over mass media appears to have its merits afer all. I wish the Buckingham Palace to be more vigilant and careful in the future. This will spare Her Majesty from unnecessary awkward situations.

Possibly a misunderstanding. They may have thought that a state visit was written in blood, not that one was being considered.
As no visit was in fact arranged and therefore not canceled, there is no awkward situation for HM, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The press office at BP must be wringing their hands, and probably wishing they could wring some editors necks.

Some more pics from today's church service the Queen and Prince Philip attended.
What a guy, QM looks fabulous and HRH all I can say is 'Duke - True Grit'

The press office at BP must be wringing their hands, and probably wishing they could wring some editors necks.
:ROFLMAO:I can imagine them saying "A fine pickle they've gotten us into to"! :ROFLMAO:

Pics 12.2.2009

Queen Elizabeth II studies a montage of the Grand staircase and the
Grand vestibule at Windsor Castle after re-launching the Monarchy
Website at Buckingham Palace. The internet site which provides
detailed information about all aspects of the royal family has been
overhauled to make it easier to use. London, England - 12.02.09

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

The Duke of Edinburgh unveiled a statue of Charles Darwin at Christ's
College in Cambridge today to mark the 200th anniversary of the
scientist's birth and visited the Cambridge University rowing team
to mark the 800th Anniversary of University of Cambridge, Britain -
12 Feb 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

Last edited:
The website looks so modern and the memorial pages don't look so depressing anymore. The pictures of Princess Margaret and the late Princess of Wales look great.

I can't see it. I still get direct to the old one.

DoE look healthy and pain-free in these pictures! :clap: We should all hope to be in such good condition and fast healing at 87!! :lol:

Queen Elizabeth II studies a montage of the Grand staircase and the
Grand vestibule at Windsor Castle after re-launching the Monarchy
Website at Buckingham Palace. The internet site which provides
detailed information about all aspects of the royal family has been
overhauled to make it easier to use. London, England - 12.02.09

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
the queen looks great in green ; i love this colore in her also its my favorite colore:)
the website is really nice , i like it ; i think its more practise than the old one :flowers:

That second photo of the Duke is the best that I've seen in a long time. Wonderful! Thanks, iceflower.:flowers:

The Duke of Edinburgh unveiled a statue of Charles Darwin at Christ's
College in Cambridge today to mark the 200th anniversary of the
scientist's birth and visited the Cambridge University rowing team
to mark the 800th Anniversary of University of Cambridge, Britain -
12 Feb 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

So it seems, that the Duke of Edinburgh's health is going better, about which I am so happy!

:previous: The difference in the photo from the 60th Wedding Anniversary to the latest shows the DofE has aged significantly in this last year, probably the last six month. His health must be an ongoing concern for the Queen.

As to who she will use as a companion in the event that the DofE is sidelined through ill health? Well somehow I think it would be more than a little inappropriate for Prince Andrew and even more so for Prince Edward to be meeting with foreign Heads of State, etc. regardless of how popular a companion they are.

For good or ill, the next most important member of the BRF is Charles. Anything less would be a slap in the face for the Prince of Wales and would send all sorts of mixed messages to the Realm. The BRF doesn't need any more scandals and somehow to suggest HM would perpetrate such a one is pretty outrageous.

Annual February 6 private memorial service

Something interesting from the Mail link above...

Intriguingly, a ceremony with a special place in the Queen's heart took place on the very day that Buckingham Palace announced the cancellation of the state visit.
It was a small and very private memorial service for her father, King George VI, that she has held every year on the anniversary of his death.
The service, led by a local vicar and at which she was accompanied by a handful of close staff, took place, as ever, in the very room on the ground floor at Sandringham where her father died of cancer on February 6, 1952. He was 56 and she was devoted to him.

His untimely death propelled her on to the throne at the age of 25 and it changed her life with Philip for ever. Since that moment, only ill health has ever forced either of them to step back from an official engagement.
'The Queen still mourns the fact that her father died so young,' says a royal family friend. 'I'm sure she wonders whether his life might have been prolonged had he not worked so hard. But duty was in his nature, just as it is in hers.'

Pics 13.2.2009

El Salvador's ambassador to London, Dr. Roberto Avila-Avilez (pic 1)
and his Excellency the Ambassaor of Egypt Mr Hatem Seif El Nasr (2)
present their credentials to Britain's Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham
Palace in London, Feb. 13, 2009. at Buckingham Palace

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

"The Queen is said to be furious" must be one of the most overworked headlines in the tabloid press over the last 20 years or so.

I'd say its used once a day at least. However i'm sure HM isn't overly impressed though i doubt this is going to cause much damage at all, i think its more the principal of staff speaking out.

Pics 17.2.2009

Queen Elizabeth II receives Her Excellency the Ambassador of
Bosnia and Herzegovina Jadranka Negodic and His Excellency
the Ambassador of the Republic of Serbia Dr Dejan Popovicat
at Buckingham Palace in London, February 17, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Prince Philip signing the book of condolences for the victims of
the Australian bush fires, Australian High Commission, London,
February 17, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
Status