The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Grumpy old sod. There's truly no need to act like a child, walk off and sulk.
If you can't be grumpy when you're 87 when can you be?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Courtier

I'm inclined to agree. The Duke is very old, still working, and, I suspect, not very well these days.

I can't believe that Jamie Durie would have been other than respectful and delighted by The Duke's interest, just as he was so ecstatic that Her Majesty had spent 10 or 15 minutes with him complimenting him on his gold medal and asking questions about the garden's design. In hindsight, it might have been better to not tell the Duke that the plant was a cycad, not a tree fern, but Durie was probably most chuffed at getting this very valuable plant from Australia to Chelsea without damage and still healthy and flourishing. Jamie Durie has already said that he didn't hear The Duke's comments.

I've heard reports here that Her Majesty was presented with an Australian bottle-tree after admiring them; likewise Prince Albert of Monaco who was taken with this lovely Australian native, too.

I understand that all of this has been filmed and will be shown on Australian television tonight so it will be interesting to see just how much of this report is factual and how much a Daily Mail beat-up.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
If you can't be grumpy when you're 87 when can you be?

Oh Please! What a dire pretext. And if adhering to that 'theory', what's been your excuse..haha.

(What an extraordinarily fabulous avatar, btw)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

He's practising for when he hits 87...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Elizabeth II ReopensThe Royal Institution Of Great Britain. London - May 28 2008.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Oh Please! What a dire pretext. And if adhering to that 'theory', what's been your excuse..haha.

(What an extraordinarily fabulous avatar, btw)
I'm never grumpy! People often call me Snow White because I'm so cheerful and serene.

(Thanks Missus)
Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
People often call me Snow White...
Indeed! All the Mods and Admins do.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm never grumpy! People often call me Snow White because I'm so cheerful and serene.
Indeed you are, I'm the grumpy old sod and/or BOF, but just like Philip, at my age I am entitled!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

HM looks divine today in that turquoise ensemble.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

More pics from Lfi
London Features International Ltd
Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Nobility

The Queen is the prettiest, lovliest 82 year-old I have ever seen.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

HM looked loevely at the re-opening of the RI. The colours were just right for the time of year, and worked very well with HMs skin tones
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

More pics from yesterday
MediumPhoto
Funny pic!
MediumPhoto

Queen Elizabeth II greets the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper inside Buckingham Palace in central London, 2008-05-29.
MediumPhoto
MediumPhoto
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

SOUTHAMPTON, UNITED KINGDOM - JUNE 02: HRH Queen Elizabeth II arrives at the QEII Embarkation building in Southhampton Docks on June 2, 2008 in Southhampton, England. The Queen is revisiting the historic cruise liner before it is retired in Dubai as a floating hotel.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#
MediumPhoto
Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen insists on clearing away the dishes herself after entertaining guests, Cherie Blair has revealed

Queen insists on clearing away dishes herself after guests, Cherie Blair reveals | Mail Online

The Queen and Prince Philip are taking a tour of the factory. Staff are stopping work to take mobile phone pictures of the Royal couple as they pass.

News & Star
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to the Breacon Museum in Whitehaven Cumbria, 2008-06-05.
MediumPhoto
Funny expression!
MediumPhoto
Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The Queen insists on clearing away the dishes herself after entertaining guests, Cherie Blair has revealed

Queen insists on clearing away dishes herself after guests, Cherie Blair reveals | Mail Online
It is quite interesting just how down-to-earth the Queen and her family are when in private, but I'm not sure I like the fact Cherie is basically using anything and anyone to promote her tell-all book. Some things should remain private, I believe.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

I'm glad that someone put Prince Phillip right for once. I watched that recent documentary about him and the number of stupid things he said you couldn't count but no one ever contradicts him so no wonder he couldn't take it when the guy at the flower show did. There was one scene in that programme where he was in a high rise tower block and said that that sort of housing was no good for families but was good for elderly people and all these local authority people just stood around looking tense but not saying anything. Also in that documentary last year about the Royal Family he started arguing with an archaeologist who told him that horses were not indiginous to the U.S.A. Philip was adament that they were and this poor University Professor, who was an expert on this particular subject, just backed down to him. He is a very arrogant man and he's always been the same it's nothing to do with his age.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I'm glad that someone put Prince Phillip right for once.
The man concerned only told him the name of the plant, he didn't 'put him right', which infers he told him off. Philips comments afterwards are only alleged to have happened by 'one of the boys'.
Quote:
"I didn’t hear him say it, one of the boys heard him
But it did mean that Mr Durie got a lot of publicity!
------------------
Bottoms up, Ma'am! An Australian brewer has come up with a luxury beer, with a royal price tag, that it claims is fit for the Queen.

Bottoms up, Ma'am! Aussies brew beer for the Queen - Yahoo! News UK

Pictured: The Queen comes face-to-face with Britain's champion gurner | Mail Online

Her husband is no slouch at pulling funny faces. So when the Queen met the world gurning champion yesterday, her own expression suggested she was distinctly underwhelmed.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 AM

They keep saying she wasn't amused by the gurner but actually, on the video she looks quite intrigued and smiles quite a bit.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii