The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I train show jumpers. I have never one single time gotten on a horse without a helmet, even just to walk back to the barn. I know people who do it at home, but it's terribly irresponsible to the people who are depending on you,IMO. Certainly QE has many more depending on her than I do. I will say that there is not an FEI (European) or USEF (American) show that will allow you to ride anywhere on the grounds without a helmet. To answer your other question, while some horses will become calmer with age, to a certain degree, it depens on temperament and breed. For example, I have a 22 year old American Thoroughbred gelding who is convinced that he is a 4 year old stallion and still a race horse. He jumps out of the paddock on a regular basis and has a go at bucking me off at least twice a month. Regardless of the hose's temperament, they are not cars. Thay have opinions and get frightened or trip/slip or get stung by bees. I really wish she would wear a helmet.
Thanks for your insight - Personally I keep well clear since the last horse I met tried to head-but me through the nearest hedge! Funny how they know who's NOT a horse-person!! But you are certainly not alone in wishing HM would wear a hard hat. Problem is who is going to nag HER?? You'd think she might listen to Princess Anne were she to voice the opinion....

Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I train show jumpers. I have never one single time gotten on a horse without a helmet, even just to walk back to the barn. I know people who do it at home, but it's terribly irresponsible to the people who are depending on you,IMO. Certainly QE has many more depending on her than I do. I will say that there is not an FEI (European) or USEF (American) show that will allow you to ride anywhere on the grounds without a helmet. To answer your other question, while some horses will become calmer with age, to a certain degree, it depens on temperament and breed. For example, I have a 22 year old American Thoroughbred gelding who is convinced that he is a 4 year old stallion and still a race horse. He jumps out of the paddock on a regular basis and has a go at bucking me off at least twice a month. Regardless of the hose's temperament, they are not cars. Thay have opinions and get frightened or trip/slip or get stung by bees. I really wish she would wear a helmet.
It seems HM is cavalier about her own safety but luckily there is the groom to intervene in case of trouble.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Forbes magazine has named QEII the 23rd most powerful and influential woman in the world.

#23 Queen Elizabeth II - Forbes.com

Considered one of the world's most powerful and respected heads of state, though in practice Queen Elizabeth II exercises very little executive power. Over her long reign, (55 years, the third longest in British and commonwealth history) the Queen has seen her country through numerous crises. She has done so with a sense of quiet fortitude and discipline, having dispensed her time-honored wisdom ...
Old 09-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 1.9.2007

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, attend the Braemar Gathering at
the Princess Royal and Duke of Fife Memorial Park on September 1, 2007 in Braemar, Scotland.
Mitchell/Getty - it's lovely to see the Queen and Philip laughing togther

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3
Old 09-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Thank you, Iceflower. Those pictures are brilliant. Between the tug of war, the weight toss, and the traditional Scottish Highland dancing, the Queen and the Duke had plenty to laugh at.

More pictures....
From Hello!: "The Queen is game for a laugh at Scottish country event."
Getty (I love these; HM is not happy with those ruddy smudges on her spectacles... )
Getty 1
Getty 2
Getty 3
Getty 4
Getty 5 Cool car?
By Reuters photographer David Moir
Reuters 1
Reuters 2
Reuters 3
Reuters 4
Reuters 5
Reuters 6
Reuters 7
Rex Features 1
Rex Features 2 (the funniest; what/who is the duke looking at?!)
Rex Features 3
Rex Features 4
Rex Features 5
Rex Features 6
Rex Features 7
Rex Features 8
Rex Features 9
Rex Features 10 (HM talking to the Duke of Fife, according to the Rex caption)
Rex Features 11
Rex Features 12
And the prize goes to....
Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonderful to see her so Happy its evident that after almost 60 years they (QEII And the DOE) both love each other very much!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Gentry

They are so adorable.....^_^ I'm reminded of a line I read in a story, where someone says: "You two are acting like an old married couple!" and the couple in question look at eachother and say "Who's acting?" Makes me laugh whenever I think about it, and it often comes to mind when I see the Queen and the Duke together. As an aside, I absolutely LOVE the color of her outfit. Beautiful!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

Smile avatar worthy

Reuters 7

I love this one--should be an avatar!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Nobility

Wow wow beautiful hat and dress on Queen Elizabeth!!! They is married 60 wedding anniversary nov.!!! I am see at she is happy and 81 age active!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Nobility

Beautiful Indeed! HM The Queen looks beautiful and so happy in these pictures. It's so wonderful to see this Royal couple laughing heartily together. And they are a picture of Good Health.

She is a great Monarch and He a great Consort. Long may she Reign with him by her side.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Two more pictures from the Braemar Games....

HM shares a funny thing about the programme with HRH

HM presents the cup to the winner of the strongman competition

Source: Royal Insight/Press Association
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Commoner

The Queen stuns primary school by winning prize in its raffle - £10 worth of toiletries | the Daily Mail

This is technically a current event, a fun story and I can just imagine the faces of the organisers at the school !
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

here is another fun story

Could the waters of Balmoral be the key to royal longevity? | the Daily Mail
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I just couldn't skip this bit of news.

Queen Elizabeth II congratulated President and People of Armenia on Independence Day

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II congratulated Armenian President Robert Kocharian and the people of Armenia on the occasion of the Armenian National Day on 21 September, the British Embassy in Yerevan told PanARMENIAN.Net.

HM The Queen’s message reads: “I have much pleasure in sending Your Excellency my congratulations on the celebration of your National Day, together with my best wishes for the happiness and prosperity of the Government and people of Armenia in the year ahead.”
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
That's cool! So Balmoral may actually have a kind of "fountain of youth"! HM really does have everything, doesn't she?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder if Balmoral could help the gray I've just found in my hair???

I love it that HM The Queen participated in a primary school raffle and claimed the prize. That just speaks loads about the type of person she is.
And, I love the dark green hat and ensemble that she wore in the previous posts. She looked stunning, and her hats! Oh my!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Professor Fraser Stoddart was knighted last winter

Link to article

Quote:
In a lilting Scottish accent, Professor Fraser Stoddart launches into the tale of how he became a knight.
"I'm only a few seconds away from meeting Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II," he says in well-rehearsed verse. "The Lord Chamberlain said: 'May I present to Your Majesty, Professor Sir Fraser Stoddart, for Services to Chemistry and Molecular Nanotology.'"
Nanotology?
"Yes, nanotology," he affirms. "In my head, I think, 'Do I ignore this? How is this going to work out?'"
Stoddart tells the story in his lectures. The Queen, at 5 feet 4, is tiny. He's kneeling. And there's a big sword perched on his right shoulder.
Then the Queen says, "He got that wrong, didn't he?"
"He certainly did, your majesty."
"What should it be then, nanotechnology?"
The Queen dealt with it impressively, he says.
The Queen is one sharp lady, even in her 80's
Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Courtier

She is indeed.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

HRH Queen Elizabeth II arrives at the Royal Festival Hall on October 9, 2007 in London, England

Fotobanka isifa image service
Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 PM

With the birth of Tom and Sara Parker-Bowles's baby, doesn't this give the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh their first great grand-child? Albeit a step one.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii