Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 16: July-December 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mystery of the Queen's missing bouquet

Princess Elizabeth carried orchids into Westminster Abbey, but they do not appear in the wedding photographs.
Royal biographers usually treat the mystery of the missing bouquet as a pre-wedding hiccough, along with the tiara that snapped and the pearls that were left at the wrong palace.

Queen's 60yh wedding anniversary: 'Mam'selle placed the tulle on my shoulders...'

Betty Foster still has the scrap of ivory satin on which she practised a row of tiny buttonholes until she was competent enough to be let loose on Princess Elizabeth's wedding dress. Until then, she had never worked a buttonhole in her life. "Now girls, no one must talk to Betty or distract her," her boss at Norman Hartnell announced, as the 18-year-old seamstress bent her head to the task.

Last edited:
Pics 27.8.2007

Queen Elizabeth II out riding with a groom at Balmoral, UK on August 27, 2007 :)

Pic 1
Pic 2

God, those horses are unbelievable. I've never seen any horse so palomino like that. I don't think I have ever seen a horse with white mane either. Are those very rare kind of horses? I think so.

Nice pictures. Her Majesty really looks fit. :) And the ponies are beautiful. :wub:

The article about the wedding bouquet is very interesting. She had to wear that wonderful dress twice.

God, those horses are unbelievable. I've never seen any horse so palomino like that. I don't think I have ever seen a horse with white mane either. Are those very rare kind of horses? I think so.
Hi CasiraghiTrio!
Actually those ponies would not be palimino at all. Palimino is the body coat is light golden..blonde really with the white mane and tail. These ponies, while sparklingly white now ,start off life born pitch blach and get lighter and lighter passing through the smoke rings stage. From Black to White horse people call this color grey. Doesnt seem to fit the many colors it covers, does it? Grooms often add a blue shampoo to bring out the white and remove any grass stains,kind of like the blue shampoo/glaze my hairdresser uses on me!:flowers:

Hi CasiraghiTrio!
Actually those ponies would not be palimino at all. Palimino is the body coat is light golden..blonde really with the white mane and tail. These ponies, while sparklingly white now ,start off life born pitch blach and get lighter and lighter passing through the smoke rings stage. From Black to White horse people call this color grey. Doesnt seem to fit the many colors it covers, does it? Grooms often add a blue shampoo to bring out the white and remove any grass stains,kind of like the blue shampoo/glaze my hairdresser uses on me!:flowers:

Thanks, scooter! This horse the Queen is riding, looks like a mythical horse, doesn't it? Like a unicorn without the horn. I wonder if he/she glows in the dark. ;)

I wonder if the Queen ever gets annoyed that she has to ride around with a groom.....I imagine that she is more than used to it by now, but you have to wonder if she ever just wants to go off on her own.......I looooooooooove the horses, my goodness they are beautiful!:D

I wonder if the Queen ever gets annoyed that she has to ride around with a groom.....I imagine that she is more than used to it by now, but you have to wonder if she ever just wants to go off on her own.......I looooooooooove the horses, my goodness they are beautiful!:D
I would think the groom is also a body guard, perhaps trained in medical emergencies, should she be thown. She is an excellent rider, but the horse could stumble or be stung by a bee. I really wish she would wear a helmet with a safey harness, if not for herself as an example to others. :flowers:

I would think the groom is also a body guard, perhaps trained in medical emergencies, should she be thown. She is an excellent rider, but the horse could stumble or be stung by a bee. I really wish she would wear a helmet with a safey harness, if not for herself as an example to others. :flowers:

Is a helmet necessary even with very easy riding? She never seems to be galloping or even trotting, but always seems to be just going at a nice relaxing pace. But I suppose you make a good point, as the horse could be scared by something, by anything, and have a reaction. Do horses become less jumpy or prone to reaction as they age? This is the case usually with dogs, who really calm down as they age and become used to things. Maybe it's the same with horses, and perhaps HM likes to ride the mature horses, who knows.

Is a helmet necessary even with very easy riding? She never seems to be galloping or even trotting, but always seems to be just going at a nice relaxing pace. But I suppose you make a good point, as the horse could be scared by something, by anything, and have a reaction. Do horses become less jumpy or prone to reaction as they age? This is the case usually with dogs, who really calm down as they age and become used to things. Maybe it's the same with horses, and perhaps HM likes to ride the mature horses, who knows.
I train show jumpers. I have never one single time gotten on a horse without a helmet, even just to walk back to the barn. I know people who do it at home, but it's terribly irresponsible to the people who are depending on you,IMO. Certainly QE has many more depending on her than I do. I will say that there is not an FEI (European) or USEF (American) show that will allow you to ride anywhere on the grounds without a helmet. To answer your other question, while some horses will become calmer with age, to a certain degree, it depens on temperament and breed. For example, I have a 22 year old American Thoroughbred gelding who is convinced that he is a 4 year old stallion and still a race horse. He jumps out of the paddock on a regular basis and has a go at bucking me off at least twice a month. Regardless of the hose's temperament, they are not cars. Thay have opinions and get frightened or trip/slip or get stung by bees. I really wish she would wear a helmet.

I train show jumpers. I have never one single time gotten on a horse without a helmet, even just to walk back to the barn. I know people who do it at home, but it's terribly irresponsible to the people who are depending on you,IMO. Certainly QE has many more depending on her than I do. I will say that there is not an FEI (European) or USEF (American) show that will allow you to ride anywhere on the grounds without a helmet. To answer your other question, while some horses will become calmer with age, to a certain degree, it depens on temperament and breed. For example, I have a 22 year old American Thoroughbred gelding who is convinced that he is a 4 year old stallion and still a race horse. He jumps out of the paddock on a regular basis and has a go at bucking me off at least twice a month. Regardless of the hose's temperament, they are not cars. Thay have opinions and get frightened or trip/slip or get stung by bees. I really wish she would wear a helmet.

Thanks for your insight - Personally I keep well clear since the last horse I met tried to head-but me through the nearest hedge! Funny how they know who's NOT a horse-person!! But you are certainly not alone in wishing HM would wear a hard hat. Problem is who is going to nag HER?? You'd think she might listen to Princess Anne were she to voice the opinion....

It seems HM is cavalier about her own safety but luckily there is the groom to intervene in case of trouble.

Forbes magazine has named QEII the 23rd most powerful and influential woman in the world.

#23 Queen Elizabeth II - Forbes.com

Considered one of the world's most powerful and respected heads of state, though in practice Queen Elizabeth II exercises very little executive power. Over her long reign, (55 years, the third longest in British and commonwealth history) the Queen has seen her country through numerous crises. She has done so with a sense of quiet fortitude and discipline, having dispensed her time-honored wisdom ...

Pics 1.9.2007

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, attend the Braemar Gathering at
the Princess Royal and Duke of Fife Memorial Park on September 1, 2007 in Braemar, Scotland.
Mitchell/Getty - it's lovely to see the Queen and Philip laughing togther :)

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Thank you, Iceflower. Those pictures are brilliant. Between the tug of war, the weight toss, and the traditional Scottish Highland dancing, the Queen and the Duke had plenty to laugh at. :D

More pictures....
From Hello!: "The Queen is game for a laugh at Scottish country event."
Getty (I love these; HM is not happy with those ruddy smudges on her spectacles... :D)
Getty 1
Getty 2
Getty 3
Getty 4
Getty 5 Cool car?
By Reuters photographer David Moir
Reuters 1
Reuters 2
Reuters 3
Reuters 4
Reuters 5
Reuters 6
Reuters 7
Rex Features 1
Rex Features 2 (the funniest; what/who is the duke looking at?!) :ROFLMAO:
Rex Features 3
Rex Features 4
Rex Features 5
Rex Features 6
Rex Features 7
Rex Features 8
Rex Features 9
Rex Features 10 (HM talking to the Duke of Fife, according to the Rex caption)
Rex Features 11
Rex Features 12
And the prize goes to....

Last edited:
Wonderful to see her so Happy its evident that after almost 60 years they (QEII And the DOE) both love each other very much!

They are so adorable.....^_^ I'm reminded of a line I read in a story, where someone says: "You two are acting like an old married couple!" and the couple in question look at eachother and say "Who's acting?" Makes me laugh whenever I think about it, and it often comes to mind when I see the Queen and the Duke together. As an aside, I absolutely LOVE the color of her outfit. Beautiful!

Wow wow beautiful hat and dress on Queen Elizabeth!!! They is married 60 wedding anniversary nov.!!! I am see at she is happy and 81 age active!!!

Beautiful Indeed! HM The Queen looks beautiful and so happy in these pictures. It's so wonderful to see this Royal couple laughing heartily together. And they are a picture of Good Health.

She is a great Monarch and He a great Consort. Long may she Reign with him by her side.

I just couldn't skip this bit of news. :D

Queen Elizabeth II congratulated President and People of Armenia on Independence Day

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II congratulated Armenian President Robert Kocharian and the people of Armenia on the occasion of the Armenian National Day on 21 September, the British Embassy in Yerevan told PanARMENIAN.Net.

HM The Queen’s message reads: “I have much pleasure in sending Your Excellency my congratulations on the celebration of your National Day, together with my best wishes for the happiness and prosperity of the Government and people of Armenia in the year ahead.”

I wonder if Balmoral could help the gray I've just found in my hair???

I love it that HM The Queen participated in a primary school raffle and claimed the prize. That just speaks loads about the type of person she is.
And, I love the dark green hat and ensemble that she wore in the previous posts. She looked stunning, and her hats! Oh my!

Professor Fraser Stoddart was knighted last winter

Link to article

In a lilting Scottish accent, Professor Fraser Stoddart launches into the tale of how he became a knight.
"I'm only a few seconds away from meeting Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II," he says in well-rehearsed verse. "The Lord Chamberlain said: 'May I present to Your Majesty, Professor Sir Fraser Stoddart, for Services to Chemistry and Molecular Nanotology.'"
Nanotology?
"Yes, nanotology," he affirms. "In my head, I think, 'Do I ignore this? How is this going to work out?'"
Stoddart tells the story in his lectures. The Queen, at 5 feet 4, is tiny. He's kneeling. And there's a big sword perched on his right shoulder.
Then the Queen says, "He got that wrong, didn't he?"
"He certainly did, your majesty."
"What should it be then, nanotechnology?"
The Queen dealt with it impressively, he says.

The Queen is one sharp lady, even in her 80's

With the birth of Tom and Sara Parker-Bowles's baby, doesn't this give the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh their first great grand-child? Albeit a step one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom