The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen, PM wishes India on 60th anniversary of independence

Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Gordon Brown have congratulated India on the 60th anniversary of independence, hoping that the Indo-UK relationship will remain permanently intertwined.
In her message to President Pratibha Patil, the Queen said, "I have much pleasure in sending you and the people of the Republic of India my very best wishes on the occasion of your 60th anniversary of Independence."

Queen greets Pakistan

Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Tuesday congratulated Pakistan on the 60th anniversary of its independence from British rule.
Britain’s foreign ministry said that Queen Elizabeth II had passed along a personal message to President Pervez Musharraf, and Foreign Secretary David Miliband sent his “very best wishes” to his Pakistani counterpart Khurshid Kasuri.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 PM

I do find this extremely hypocritical. We cause years of bloodshed in India and Pakistan by partition and then the Queen sends her congratulations to mark 60 years of total disaster. Madness.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Commoner

BeatrixFan ......the Partition did cause bloodshed, but "60 years of total disaster" is something that I do not agree with as an Indian.

Though I would like to launch into the subject of Partition and India since 1947 (complex, vast & interesting), it requires a forum of its own and I wouldn't like to bore our other members :)
Old 08-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

Royal Family learnt lesson over Princess Diana

Royal Family learnt lesson over Princess Diana - Telegraph
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Lawrence's death shocked people across the country and even the Queen made a rare public donation to a fund set up in his memory

Lawrence's killer wins right to stay in UK - Yahoo! News UK

I didn't know HM had made a public donation to this poor mans fund!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Postman accused of royal mail theft

A 60-year-old postman has been arrested by British police on suspicion of stealing mail addressed to Queen Elizabeth II, The Sun reported.

Postman accused of royal mail theft: report : thewest.com.au

Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

SINGER® Sewing Machine Featured in Royal Exhibit

A royal wedding, with all of its pomp and ceremony, was just the shot in the arm the Brits needed following a long and bitter war. Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, the Duke of Edinburgh, calendared the date of November 20, 1947 for the royal nuptials - setting the stage for the largest and most memorable public celebration to take place in Great Britain following WWII.

Sixty years later, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip will celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary – a release from Buckingham Palace acknowledges that Queen Elizabeth will be the first reigning Sovereign to reach this significant anniversary. To mark the occasion, a special exhibition titled “A Royal Wedding: November 20, 1947,” has opened to the public this summer in Buckingham Palace. The exhibit recreates the wedding day with a dazzling array of outfits and uniforms worn by members of the Royal family along with the Norman Hartnell designed wedding dress worn by Princess Elizabeth. Also included are some of the most spectacular items from the Queen’s personal jewelry collection (including the diamond bracelet given to Her Majesty by Prince Philip as a wedding gift) as well as several of the 2,500 gifts received from guests and well-wishers around the world.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Does anyone know what wedding gift was from Mohatma Ghandi? The Singer article says he gave the couple a "hand woven material."
Old 08-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Mahatma Gandhi's wedding gift to queen-UK-World-The Times of India

UK : Queen exhibits Mahatma’s humble wedding gift - Fashion News UK

A handmade gift from someone who because he had no money, no personal possessions, gave one of the greatest gifts of all. Truly a great man.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Mahatma Gandhi's wedding gift to queen-UK-World-The Times of India

UK : Queen exhibits Mahatma’s humble wedding gift - Fashion News UK

A handmade gift from someone who because he had no money, no personal possessions, gave one of the greatest gifts of all. Truly a great man.
Thank you! He was such a great man, one of the greatest ever, and he truly liked Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip, I think. I think the gift came from the heart and was not in any way otherwise motivated. I think he had great respect for Lord Mountbatten especially and naturally took a delight in the news of his friend's nephew's wedding.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

The mystery of the Queen's missing bouquet

Princess Elizabeth carried orchids into Westminster Abbey, but they do not appear in the wedding photographs.
Royal biographers usually treat the mystery of the missing bouquet as a pre-wedding hiccough, along with the tiara that snapped and the pearls that were left at the wrong palace.

Queen's 60yh wedding anniversary: 'Mam'selle placed the tulle on my shoulders...'

Betty Foster still has the scrap of ivory satin on which she practised a row of tiny buttonholes until she was competent enough to be let loose on Princess Elizabeth's wedding dress. Until then, she had never worked a buttonhole in her life. "Now girls, no one must talk to Betty or distract her," her boss at Norman Hartnell announced, as the 18-year-old seamstress bent her head to the task.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 27.8.2007

Queen Elizabeth II out riding with a groom at Balmoral, UK on August 27, 2007

Pic 1
Pic 2
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 PM

God, those horses are unbelievable. I've never seen any horse so palomino like that. I don't think I have ever seen a horse with white mane either. Are those very rare kind of horses? I think so.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Nice pictures. Her Majesty really looks fit. And the ponies are beautiful.

The article about the wedding bouquet is very interesting. She had to wear that wonderful dress twice.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
God, those horses are unbelievable. I've never seen any horse so palomino like that. I don't think I have ever seen a horse with white mane either. Are those very rare kind of horses? I think so.
Hi CasiraghiTrio!
Actually those ponies would not be palimino at all. Palimino is the body coat is light golden..blonde really with the white mane and tail. These ponies, while sparklingly white now ,start off life born pitch blach and get lighter and lighter passing through the smoke rings stage. From Black to White horse people call this color grey. Doesnt seem to fit the many colors it covers, does it? Grooms often add a blue shampoo to bring out the white and remove any grass stains,kind of like the blue shampoo/glaze my hairdresser uses on me!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Hi CasiraghiTrio!
Actually those ponies would not be palimino at all. Palimino is the body coat is light golden..blonde really with the white mane and tail. These ponies, while sparklingly white now ,start off life born pitch blach and get lighter and lighter passing through the smoke rings stage. From Black to White horse people call this color grey. Doesnt seem to fit the many colors it covers, does it? Grooms often add a blue shampoo to bring out the white and remove any grass stains,kind of like the blue shampoo/glaze my hairdresser uses on me!
Thanks, scooter! This horse the Queen is riding, looks like a mythical horse, doesn't it? Like a unicorn without the horn. I wonder if he/she glows in the dark.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Gentry

I wonder if the Queen ever gets annoyed that she has to ride around with a groom.....I imagine that she is more than used to it by now, but you have to wonder if she ever just wants to go off on her own.......I looooooooooove the horses, my goodness they are beautiful!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaharet View Post
I wonder if the Queen ever gets annoyed that she has to ride around with a groom.....I imagine that she is more than used to it by now, but you have to wonder if she ever just wants to go off on her own.......I looooooooooove the horses, my goodness they are beautiful!
I would think the groom is also a body guard, perhaps trained in medical emergencies, should she be thown. She is an excellent rider, but the horse could stumble or be stung by a bee. I really wish she would wear a helmet with a safey harness, if not for herself as an example to others.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I would think the groom is also a body guard, perhaps trained in medical emergencies, should she be thown. She is an excellent rider, but the horse could stumble or be stung by a bee. I really wish she would wear a helmet with a safey harness, if not for herself as an example to others.
Is a helmet necessary even with very easy riding? She never seems to be galloping or even trotting, but always seems to be just going at a nice relaxing pace. But I suppose you make a good point, as the horse could be scared by something, by anything, and have a reaction. Do horses become less jumpy or prone to reaction as they age? This is the case usually with dogs, who really calm down as they age and become used to things. Maybe it's the same with horses, and perhaps HM likes to ride the mature horses, who knows.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Is a helmet necessary even with very easy riding? She never seems to be galloping or even trotting, but always seems to be just going at a nice relaxing pace. But I suppose you make a good point, as the horse could be scared by something, by anything, and have a reaction. Do horses become less jumpy or prone to reaction as they age? This is the case usually with dogs, who really calm down as they age and become used to things. Maybe it's the same with horses, and perhaps HM likes to ride the mature horses, who knows.
I train show jumpers. I have never one single time gotten on a horse without a helmet, even just to walk back to the barn. I know people who do it at home, but it's terribly irresponsible to the people who are depending on you,IMO. Certainly QE has many more depending on her than I do. I will say that there is not an FEI (European) or USEF (American) show that will allow you to ride anywhere on the grounds without a helmet. To answer your other question, while some horses will become calmer with age, to a certain degree, it depens on temperament and breed. For example, I have a 22 year old American Thoroughbred gelding who is convinced that he is a 4 year old stallion and still a race horse. He jumps out of the paddock on a regular basis and has a go at bucking me off at least twice a month. Regardless of the hose's temperament, they are not cars. Thay have opinions and get frightened or trip/slip or get stung by bees. I really wish she would wear a helmet.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii